Page 171 of 174 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,130 of 5199

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Summer uniform! I am now wearing shorts, a tee shirt, and thongs flip-flops. And I think I'll try sitting out on the deck and reading a book.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Getting more daylight every day. This was the upstairs view of sunset from the other night going on 10:30 PM.

Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Getting more daylight every day. This was the upstairs view of sunset from the other night going on 10:30 PM.

And still about five weeks to the solstice!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Summer uniform! I am now wearing shorts, a tee shirt, and thongs flip-flops. And I think I'll try sitting out on the deck and reading a book.
    Definitely thongs here - jandals in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post

Nice!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Definitely thongs here - jandals in New Zealand.
    Now I'm wondering what you call the other kind of thongs!

Same as everyone else - twine.

8. 2020-May-10, 03:41 PM
    Reason
    Missed the joke

Graham bought me quick-dry concrete, and I bought various bits of decorative glass, and the kids and I are going to make stepping stones for the yard today. Way cheaper than the kits.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

"Veni, vidi, cemento"

- William the concreter
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

On an impulse bought my Daughter a stand mixer.

I know she's been wanting a fancy one, but I saw a cheap one pop up on an internet deals site I get daily emails from, and she's been doing lots of COVID baking; so got it for delivery to her address.

Yesterday she came past and dropped off a big piece of home made apple pie.

Is that karma?

Mmmm, pie!

Pie are round!

Pie are round!
    :-)

Funnily enough, mine was half a (2 x 1 or so) rectangle. ... it was square!

Not trivial but not earth shattering: There have been some rule and technological changes for phone services recently that have been very nice. Years ago telemarketing calls were getting out of hand to the point the home phone was becoming almost useless but the National “do not call” list largely resolved it for years. More recently, spoofing made it bad again, to the point that I almost never answer a call at home unless someone leaves a message, and never have a phone in a bedroom.

But in the last month or so, spoofed calls have dropped to almost zero, and it’s an amazing thing. If I get a call now, it’s actually valid! I think I will again put a phone in the bedroom, and might start answering it again.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I had do some, very interesting, research on this. While everyone here understands, when used in context, the difference between thongs for the feet and thongs for other parts of the anatomy. The normal description in the local ads is G String or just String Underwear. (Schlaugh was pretty close) They are also often described in the same ad as thongs as well.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-May-11 at 02:06 PM.

I spent a quiet afternoon yesterday watching movies. Without worrying if the kids wanted to watch them with me or not.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I had do some, very interesting, research on this. While everyone here understands, when used in context, the difference between thongs for the feet and thongs for other parts of the anatomy. The normal description in the local ads is G String or just String Underwear. (Schlaugh was pretty close) They are also often described in the same ad as thongs as well.
    I've never heard thong applied to string or twine. Hereabouts, it's always a short length of leather (or sometimes a plant stem), used to make rough tied bundles or joins. That would fit with the Australian idea of thong sandals. (Which were of course invented by a Frenchman, Philipe Felop, whose footwear ideas were never accepted in his native country.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I've never heard thong applied to string or twine. Hereabouts, it's always a short length of leather (or sometimes a plant stem), used to make rough tied bundles or joins. That would fit with the Australian idea of thong sandals. (Which were of course invented by a Frenchman, Philipe Felop, whose footwear ideas were never accepted in his native country.)

Grant Hutchison
    I see what you did there....

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Thin thong: drunken community singing
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Some very bad puns being made here. The isolation must be getting to many of us.

What is this isolation you are taking about, weren't we always keeping 2 m apart, only have small gathereings of less then 10 or 5 people and everyone wearing masks.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

For me, at least, the actual percentage of my time spent at home with the kids and no other people hasn't gone up all that much. It's just that last ten or twenty percent that's so painful to lose.

"You can't erase icing."

Return of the birds. Yellow-rumped Warblers seem to be more plentiful this year at the House in Peters Creek*. Theirs is the dominant song right now, followed by Varied Thrushes, Black-capped Chickadees, American Robins, and Red-breasted Nuthatches...in roughly that order. I was enjoying a couple of vices a few evenings ago, in a small pop-up shelter to stay out ot the occasional drizzle, when I heard a rustling in the leaves. I peeked outside to find a Ruffed Grouse casually poking about, no more than 12-15 feet away. Even when he looked at me looking at him, he seemed to be in no hurry to increase the social distance. Unusual, given that they're very shy birds.

* I really need to come up with a better name for our place. Gillianren did quite nicely for her new home and I'm a bit envious. Sawdust Circle? 2x4 Byway? Hmmm...this looks like a job for a new thread.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

There was a light rain last night, and this morning I decided to go out and do a little work (cutting vines, mostly) in the yard. I happened to look up at one point and over the trees to the left of my view the sun was peeking up, in the middle was the moon, and to the right was a rainbow cloud. I’m not sure if I’ve actually seen a rainbow cloud before (I looked up examples later after seeing what I thought of as a rainbow in a cloud).

Unfortunately, I didn’t have a camera handy, and didn’t feel like going inside to find one but seeing the combination of something different (the cloud) combined with the moon made for a great view and I was happy I had decided to go outside.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We have some flowering trees in our backyard and today was the first sunny and not-very-windy day since the blossoms opened, so I had a pseudo-sakura-watching party with my Mom and brother— we moved the porch table and chairs near the trees, had orange blossom tea, and just sat looking at the flowers and enjoying the sunlight. My Mom even tried sketching a tree!

In a couple weeks we will have all kinds of flowering trees, speaking of allergies being discussed in another thread it probably not a good place for people with allergies.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    There was a light rain last night, and this morning I decided to go out and do a little work (cutting vines, mostly) in the yard. I happened to look up at one point and over the trees to the left of my view the sun was peeking up, in the middle was the moon, and to the right was a rainbow cloud. I’m not sure if I’ve actually seen a rainbow cloud before (I looked up examples later after seeing what I thought of as a rainbow in a cloud).

Unfortunately, I didn’t have a camera handy, and didn’t feel like going inside to find one but seeing the combination of something different (the cloud) combined with the moon made for a great view and I was happy I had decided to go outside.
    Rainbow clouds, or iridescent clouds. I see them fairly regularly (multiple times a year). Seem to be particularly common in winter and around sunrise or sunset (sun low in sky).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post

Oh, that sounds absolutely lovely.

After much discussion last night--which included Simon's firm statement that he doesn't like it when we fight--Graham has finally accepted that, yes, we're getting kittens. A friend of a friend has some, and while I will have to drive quite a way and pick them up, I've been wanting to have cats again since we had to rehome poor D when Simon was two. They're very good for my mental health, and I haven't been in therapy in over a year.

"You can't erase icing."

Congratulations on the kittens!
    You can have one of ours, the one I caught peeing on the rubber mat outside the box this morning. This has been happening for a while, off and on, and although we suspected we didn't have proof of which cat it was before.

Lots of things have made me happy recently.

Bicycle riding. I love bicycle riding and the weather has been generally good for it. Yesterday I did a 44 km ride. I've done hundreds of km in the last month, both on the road and on trails.

Canoeing. The ice has been off the river for a long time, but I finally put the canoe in today about 11.5 km upstream of my home and met only one other boat on the paddle down. There was still some ice on the deeply shaded shoreline in a few places though. When I got home I hopped on the bicycle to retrieve my pickup at the launch site.

Best: Yesterday my first grandchild was born, a daughter to my son and his partner. In the last two months, my two older sisters have also become first time grandparents.