Page 207 of 207 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207
Results 6,181 to 6,209 of 6209

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

  1. #6181
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,816
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I've never understood the reasoning behind egg nog. Someone looked at advocaat and said, "What this viscous, fatty, sugary drink needs is some cream." Is that how it happened?
    All I can say is I like the taste of a particular brand of egg nog. Quite simply, I drink it because I enjoy it. I’ve had egg nog I didn’t like and egg nog I was indifferent to. I’ve never had a home made version that I liked much. I don’t drink a huge amount of it, in a year I usually buy it once or twice. This year maybe three times since I found it so early.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  2. #6182
    Right now I am watching a talk from an university I use to attend talking about the James Webb Telescope.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  3. #6183
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,935
    I really like eggnog, and I don't generally like very sweet alcoholic beverages - I think it more the creaminess than the sugar. There is a local brand that is particularly good (and comes in cool, old style milk bottles), but I've also made my own, including one from a recipe from an old family friend that included melting ice cream in it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  4. #6184
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    16,585
    Speaking of eggnog, it doesn't exist here and if it did, it would have a different name. But there is this certain period of the year -which luckily hasn't started yet- where my wife would put on the TV on any of "her channels" in the evening, and any and every movie they'd play would mention "eggnog" at least 4 times. By the second week of january the phenomenon would be gone and put in storage for a good 10 months.

    Similar thing when the cooking show hype was on, certainly the Australian ones. I'd enter the room, the TV would be on, and within 2 minutes I'd get bombarded with "prawns". Prawnsprawnsprawns. And that one did not have a storage period. Luckily, by now the cooking shows seem to have been put in the attic together with the "I weigh more than my car and here's the gym buff to help me" shows.

    (before you conclude my wife would have a questionable taste in TV: by the time those programs are on, she's basically in a coma. I wonder what her Glasgow score was when she chose me.)
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

  5. #6185
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,435
    Diwali. In some sort of restoration of the Grand Cosmic Balance, we've moved in the space of a few days from people turning up on the doorstep uninvited, demanding treats, to people turning up on the doorstep uninvited, delivering treats.

    Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

  6. #6186
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,935
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Diwali. In some sort of restoration of the Grand Cosmic Balance, we've moved in the space of a few days from people turning up on the doorstep uninvited, demanding treats, to people turning up on the doorstep uninvited, delivering treats.

    Grant Hutchison
    I understand in western cultures that there are holidays halfway between the equinoxes and the solstices, sometimes called cross-quarter days. These include All Saint's Day (Day of the Dead, Halloween or All Hallows Eve), May Day, Candlemas or Groundhog Day, and Lammas. I know next to nothing about Diwali, other than it is a festival of lights, but I wonder if it has a similar connection to the seasons and the calendar?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  7. #6187
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    21,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I understand in western cultures that there are holidays halfway between the equinoxes and the solstices, sometimes called cross-quarter days. These include All Saint's Day (Day of the Dead, Halloween or All Hallows Eve), May Day, Candlemas or Groundhog Day, and Lammas. I know next to nothing about Diwali, other than it is a festival of lights, but I wonder if it has a similar connection to the seasons and the calendar?
    It's supposedly descended from various Indian harvest festivals, so definitely tied to the seasons (India has several harvest seasons). It now has a more philosophical import, celebrating the figurative triumph of light over darkness. It's tied to a lunisolar calendar, so it moves around a bit relative to Gregorian--sometimes in the first half of November, sometimes the second half of October.

    Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

  8. #6188
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,885
    On the BBC site today another massive boost for vaccination programmes. A quotation regarding the effectiveness of the vaccine in the UK is that "The human papillomavirus, or HPV, vaccine is cutting cases of cervical cancer by nearly 90%, the first real-world data shows." But of course not matter how successful and safe a vaccine is there will always be people who agitate against it for their own peculiar or selfish reasons. In a bit of national gloss, although the original link between Human papillomavirus and cervical cancer was discovered by a German virologist, Harald zur Hausen, who rightly received a Nobel Price for his work the first successful vaccine was initially developed in Australia.

    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59148620

  9. #6189
    I think I saw a really bright meteor a couple hours ago so bright I saw it indoors, with lights on but it could be a reflection or someone playin with fireworks.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  10. #6190
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,816
    One of the little things I appreciate about retirement: I always hated the winter time change because I was usually inside the building all day and it meant I was driving home in the dark for the rest of the winter. (It would be starting to get dark by commute time before the time change, but there would still be some sunlight. Then, boom, time change and it was suddenly full on night.) I see a lot more daylight now in the winter and don’t need to go on those commutes in the dark. Today, it was sunny but cool, and I loved that sunlight.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  11. #6191
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,780
    I like getting away from DST because i don’t like waking up in the dark. And light coming into our bedroom helps to get me out of bed.

  12. #6192
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,947
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I like getting away from DST because i don’t like waking up in the dark. And light coming into our bedroom helps to get me out of bed.
    Same. It feels good.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  13. #6193
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,800
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I like getting away from DST because i don’t like waking up in the dark. And light coming into our bedroom helps to get me out of bed.
    It's still pretty dark when we wake up, and will be getting darker still for the next few weeks. When I was working these days, going to work and coming home all in the dark, were the worst.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  14. #6194
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,800
    On happier note, a two-fer:
    1. Amazon came through with cat food. Mama's Babies will not be going hungry.
    2. I managed to set both chiming clocks so they are chiming essentially simultaneously, and only five or ten seconds ahead of the time on my phone.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  15. #6195
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,947
    To go against the grain a little bit, biking home at sunset is actually very beautiful (and yes, I choose a well-lit path and have lights on my bike) and the crescent moon in the clear sky this evening made it even lovelier.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  16. #6196
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    5,848
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    To go against the grain a little bit, biking home at sunset is actually very beautiful (and yes, I choose a well-lit path and have lights on my bike) and the crescent moon in the clear sky this evening made it even lovelier.
    I concur regarding tonight’s moon. Beautiful big crescent in a clear sky.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  17. #6197
    While putting the dirty laundry in the washing machine I notice a Remenbrance day poppy in my laundry. Haven't gotten one this year, haven't been in town in a couple of weeks. I guess Friday when I will give five bucks, I was planning on buying some tickets in a raffle for a quilt that one of the members made but they were sold out of tickets by the time I had the money.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  18. #6198
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,819
    The asbestos abatement team starts working on Monday. In order to get that going, we needed to get the electricity and water back on. The electricity was a snap, someone else handled everything. The power panel is huge and gorgeous. The electrician can't wait until the asbestos team starts tearing out walls and wiring, so he can put it back properly. It'll be expensive but he'll get it right.

    The water was a little bit of a process. The main is at the front of the house and the vast majority of the pipe works runs through the center of the house. Many of the pipes simply burned away and most of what is left unsoldered itself in the heat. I put a hose spigot on the line out of the meter, so they have not only the main shut off value but a second one to be sure. They were kind of surprised I could solder a pipe and spigot together which feels pretty good.

    One of the surprising things is the asbestos abatement team pulled out all of the window frames in preparation for some of their equipment. They'll yank out all of the windows and then board it up when they are done. Then the construction team will make measurements and recommendations for replacements.

    It appears that all of the walls are coming out, too. That is going to be crazy to see. I've never been so happy to see my house ripped apart.
    Solfe

  19. #6199
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    The asbestos abatement team starts working on Monday. In order to get that going, we needed to get the electricity and water back on. The electricity was a snap, someone else handled everything. The power panel is huge and gorgeous. The electrician can't wait until the asbestos team starts tearing out walls and wiring, so he can put it back properly. It'll be expensive but he'll get it right.

    The water was a little bit of a process. The main is at the front of the house and the vast majority of the pipe works runs through the center of the house. Many of the pipes simply burned away and most of what is left unsoldered itself in the heat. I put a hose spigot on the line out of the meter, so they have not only the main shut off value but a second one to be sure. They were kind of surprised I could solder a pipe and spigot together which feels pretty good.

    One of the surprising things is the asbestos abatement team pulled out all of the window frames in preparation for some of their equipment. They'll yank out all of the windows and then board it up when they are done. Then the construction team will make measurements and recommendations for replacements.

    It appears that all of the walls are coming out, too. That is going to be crazy to see. I've never been so happy to see my house ripped apart.
    I must really be missing something here. With all this extensive work going on I would have thought that it would have been cheaper and faster for the house to be simply demolished and a new one built or a full insurance pay-out made? I am certain that would be the case here. Obviously I am wrong as I am sure any insurance company will take the cheapest option but the amount of rebuilding, special fettling etc seems to be excessive. I can't recall if you desired the repairs rather than a complete replacement.

  20. #6200
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,819
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I must really be missing something here. With all this extensive work going on I would have thought that it would have been cheaper and faster for the house to be simply demolished and a new one built or a full insurance pay-out made? I am certain that would be the case here. Obviously I am wrong as I am sure any insurance company will take the cheapest option but the amount of rebuilding, special fettling etc seems to be excessive. I can't recall if you desired the repairs rather than a complete replacement.
    My preference would be total demolishment and rebuilt, but there are many competing factors. I have to work within the legal agreements I have with the insurance company, the contractors and the mortgage holder (bank). I also need to conform with basic community standards in my town. Basically, the insurance company wants everything back to what it was within reason. The bank has lighter requirements, they want it to look like a salable home not a castle or yurt. The town doesn't want me to fill in the basement and plant a $20,000 manufactured home there. The contractors wants everything to code and hope it's not too labor intensive. I want my house that belongs to me. My wife wants a house that vaguely looks like the structure when her great grandmother lived there, but not exactly like the place where she nearly burned to death.

    For all of those competing issues, rebuilding what is left is preferable to leveling the place. Money isn't the main issue. Time, labor and materials are. As it stands now, my asbestos team is from Syracuse, NY and the rebuilding contractor is from Rochester, NY because no one local could take another job. Rebuilding from scratch would put us on a 1-2 year waiting period to start. The insurance company and bank won't work with just anyone, just preapproved people. If I elect to select someone that is not preapproved, project management and overruns are my problem, not theirs. One of our big issues in the area is people who stay at home all the time, hire contractors so as the home they want to be in 24-7 is perfect. Massive labor shortage.

    The brickwork, foundation and roof are intact. The interior is basically gutted. We'll have a new floor plan. The main requirement of the new floor plan is remove the wall where my wife collapsed. The new plan calls for ripping 2 walls out of the dining room and replacing another full wall with a half wall and counter/bar. It won't even look like the same room where my wife was found. These were features my wife's great grandmother chatted about, so while it's different, it honors her and suits my wife's needs.

    As it stands now, they have the house sealed up so you can't enter. It's the first time my wife has been able to look at the place since the fire without shaking. She still gets a little weepy just looking but we have doctors working on that. Maybe this will work, or maybe we'll sell the place once it's done. I just turned down an offer to sell today, so I still don't know.
    Solfe

  21. #6201
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My preference would be total demolishment and rebuilt, but there are many competing factors. I have to work within the legal agreements I have with the insurance company, the contractors and the mortgage holder (bank). I also need to conform with basic community standards in my town. Basically, the insurance company wants everything back to what it was within reason. The bank has lighter requirements, they want it to look like a salable home not a castle or yurt. The town doesn't want me to fill in the basement and plant a $20,000 manufactured home there. The contractors wants everything to code and hope it's not too labor intensive. I want my house that belongs to me. My wife wants a house that vaguely looks like the structure when her great grandmother lived there, but not exactly like the place where she nearly burned to death.

    For all of those competing issues, rebuilding what is left is preferable to leveling the place. Money isn't the main issue. Time, labor and materials are. As it stands now, my asbestos team is from Syracuse, NY and the rebuilding contractor is from Rochester, NY because no one local could take another job. Rebuilding from scratch would put us on a 1-2 year waiting period to start. The insurance company and bank won't work with just anyone, just preapproved people. If I elect to select someone that is not preapproved, project management and overruns are my problem, not theirs. One of our big issues in the area is people who stay at home all the time, hire contractors so as the home they want to be in 24-7 is perfect. Massive labor shortage.

    The brickwork, foundation and roof are intact. The interior is basically gutted. We'll have a new floor plan. The main requirement of the new floor plan is remove the wall where my wife collapsed. The new plan calls for ripping 2 walls out of the dining room and replacing another full wall with a half wall and counter/bar. It won't even look like the same room where my wife was found. These were features my wife's great grandmother chatted about, so while it's different, it honors her and suits my wife's needs.

    As it stands now, they have the house sealed up so you can't enter. It's the first time my wife has been able to look at the place since the fire without shaking. She still gets a little weepy just looking but we have doctors working on that. Maybe this will work, or maybe we'll sell the place once it's done. I just turned down an offer to sell today, so I still don't know.
    Thanks for this very thoughtful, informative and detailed response. You have certainly had some complications to overcome that I have never run across before and I hope that my post didn't disturb you.
    I wish you, and your wife, the best of luck as the project continues and hopefully the final result will be a happy outcome for all of you.

  22. #6202
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,935
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Thanks for this very thoughtful, informative and detailed response. You have certainly had some complications to overcome that I have never run across before and I hope that my post didn't disturb you.
    I wish you, and your wife, the best of luck as the project continues and hopefully the final result will be a happy outcome for all of you.
    Yes. I hope this all finishes up with a lot of healing.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  23. #6203
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,819
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Thanks for this very thoughtful, informative and detailed response. You have certainly had some complications to overcome that I have never run across before and I hope that my post didn't disturb you.
    I wish you, and your wife, the best of luck as the project continues and hopefully the final result will be a happy outcome for all of you.
    We are going to get through this. This is far less disturbing than you think, you can only be one thing at a time. Right now I am managing the mental health of my wife and kids. As much as I'd like to be swinging a hammer or soldering pipes to rebuild my house, I actually can't do that. Have done the "dress up thing" and gone over to the house to get this or that done, but it's all been really minor stuff. Hardly "helping" at all. My role is to be at home.

    I right now, I'm hunting for a temp job. And I think I found a good one with a 4 month duration. It's nice that everyone is hiring. I don't want to have ever say, "The only reason I work here is because my house burned to the ground." A long time ago, I started working with kids and realized that I probably never worked a day since I quit and went back to a office setting. The reality is, I very much like helping people in a school or home setting and if you enjoy your job, you aren't working at all.

    There are probably a couple of people who are reading right now and are engineering or math types thinking, "No, human services sounds dreadful." While I don't see it like that, engineering might be your perfect job, the one that doesn't seem like work it all. Everyone sees things differently, but also a little the same.

    One of the most annoying things is my house, as it is, is a valuable commodity if you have the ability to fix it. I've been knocking down would-be buyers for months. The ironic thing is, I might fix this house only to sell it. I have to sit my kids down and talk to them to see if they are ok with going back to this house. If it isn't ok with them, I have a different headache to deal with because we have an awesome but tiny school district. We might end up moving at the end of this and I have to start house or apartment shopping now.

    Today, we need to finalize a purchase of furniture and secure storage for it. The company we selected is flat out saying they have supply side issues and a proper delivery date isn't really possible. I am unable to get my wife's buy in to furnishing the temporary housing we have with this new furniture. She is all bent out of shape because technically our kids are "homeless". She views this place as shelter and nothing else. "Homeless" is the description used for kids that loose a house and are forced to live out of district while still attending. It's all just paperwork for the school to make things work out.

    The next few days and weeks will be interesting.
    Solfe

  24. #6204
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Posts
    4,022
    Something that fits both the "house" theme of the moment and the "happy" thread title: after considering it financially impossible for me for just about my whole adult life, I've recently landed in significantly improved circumstances that make the idea of buying my own house not only possible, but even potentially cheaper than renting. So I'm probably going to do it sometime in the next year. For most people, this is just a routine part of life, but for me, it's the most massive possible mark of recovery from the crap that's happened in my past, which I had previously considered just too much to ever really recover from.

  25. #6205
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    There are probably a couple of people who are reading right now and are engineering or math types thinking, "No, human services sounds dreadful." While I don't see it like that, engineering might be your perfect job, the one that doesn't seem like work it all. Everyone sees things differently, but also a little the same.
    Well, I'm happy that there are people like you who can and will do that, and even thrive at it. I hope all goes well with what lies ahead for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Something that fits both the "house" theme of the moment and the "happy" thread title: after considering it financially impossible for me for just about my whole adult life, I've recently landed in significantly improved circumstances that make the idea of buying my own house not only possible, but even potentially cheaper than renting. So I'm probably going to do it sometime in the next year. For most people, this is just a routine part of life, but for me, it's the most massive possible mark of recovery from the crap that's happened in my past, which I had previously considered just too much to ever really recover from.
    I remember your past statements about your prospects, so this is good to hear!

  26. #6206
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Well, I'm happy that there are people like you who can and will do that, and even thrive at it. I hope all goes well with what lies ahead for you.
    Well, it looks good. I accepted a job offer this afternoon.
    Solfe

  27. #6207
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Well, it looks good. I accepted a job offer this afternoon.
    Although it's a good time to be looking for a job, I am happy that I no longer need to do so!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  28. #6208
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Although it's a good time to be looking for a job, I am happy that I no longer need to do so!
    Yes, I used to really enjoy and look forward to my job, then a variety of things happened with health, changes in work and people at work I really enjoyed working with going elsewhere, and other issues and it wasn’t something I wanted to do anymore. Luckily, I could afford to retire a little early and it has been a relief not to have to work, especially during Covid. I wasn’t in a good place emotionally when I retired, but I’m feeling a lot better now, so I am happy about that.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  29. #6209
    My sister and brother in law finally got to see their grandchild, well for a sister really a step grandchild. And my youngest niece is staying with a friend whose grandfathaer and and my went out with for over twenty years so almost a step cousin. I guess the weekend is going step-by step. Took some mental health time and watched some mysteries and now some old British sitcom, May to December.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •