Page 194 of 198 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196 ... LastLast
Results 5,791 to 5,820 of 5915

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    On a whim, I decided to fry an egg for breakfast. And for once, DIDN'T BREAK THE YOLK!
    No such luck this morning. But it was good scrambled, with a bit of shredded parmesan and a dash of Tabasco.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    The Minimoog is super easy to maintain. I haven't had to tune mine in years (one of the advantages of the later voice board). All components are discrete and available. THe only rare part inside is a uA726 double transistor, and I've got spares for those. It's a reliable component anyway. The Minimoog is built quite mil-spec in the first place. I've bought all my old synths taking maintainability into account. That's why I've sold the Roland RS-505 and other stuff with unobtainium components inside. OK, the JV80 and 01W/FD might be harder to maintain, but that's ultra reliable nineties electronics and there is very little value in them so you can just buy another if desired.

The Minimoog being monophonic isn't really an issue; it's a bit on the fat side to use polyphonically anyway. I just use other synths for the polyphonic parts and then blow a hole in the wall with the Minimoog on top of them.
    True about the use for solos.

Incidentally, when I mentioned the Minimoog reliability I was thinking of this. It says that Rick Wakeman has nine of them and brings two on every tour so that if one fails he can move to the other.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    There's some nice gear in those posts. I mostly have small cheap things... Behringer Neutron, Novation Bass Station II, Moog Sirin, Moog Werkstatt-01, Roland JD-Xi, Arturia Microfreak. The only thing I have with a full keyboard is a Yamaha MODX.
    As I'd mentioned, I also only own pretty cheap things: a Juno Di, a Korg X5D, and a Gaia SH-01. But actually, most of the stuff I do is on iPad synths played with a Midi controller. They're definitely cheaper!
    As above, so below

It was so nice yesterday I put on shorts for the first time this year. And then had to find a belt, because my weight loss had them falling down.

I spent the day with a friend. He's been under a lot of stress lately, and I wish he could afford a place of his own. Even having been alone for the last year would've been better than his current living situation. But we hung out. Took the kids to a park and had lunch. Baked bread together. It was lovely.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Well this morning I became a great-uncle well at least a step great uncle, the father is the son of my brother in law from a previous marriage. The happy family live in the states o it might be a while before they come up but the brother in law and sis might try to go down and arrange it around vacation time for 14 day isolation period when the get back.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I’ve just finished my Saturday chores, so I’m enjoying an adult beverage. We leave on a 1am flight for Minnesota to meet The Wife’s birth father, “Dickie”, for the first time and I’m so happy for her. She’s nervous as the dickens, of course. She’s a big over-thinker with some self esteem issues...baggage from a bad relationship with her adopted father. She’s had a better telephone relationship with Dickie during the last year then she can remember having any time before, other than with her mom.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I've got a friend who's dealing with some of the same stuff with finding her own birth family this year. It's stressful, but she's really happy. I'm glad it's going well for your wife.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Today I went to play mini golf with my Mom and my brother J. at a local course I had never been to. I didn’t realize it was themed to our local area of Eastern Long Island, with the prop structures being small versions of local landmarks, including a lighthouse, a reproduction of a traditional Shinnecock house and kayak, and a moving windmill and water mill. The course actually wasn’t that big, but they created a nice atmosphere by having actual sand, snow fencing, and living dune grass in the “beach” area. The holes were challenging and we had a lot of fun playing, even though it didn’t take very long to play through.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

My boys were playing outside with crayons today. 6yo drew a cartoon rocket. 8yo drew a Starship, rivets and all.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Nice visit from my niece today. We went to the Port Townsend Kitchen tour -- virtually. Which was far better than none at all last year or than the previous year when they forgot to advertise it. A couple of the kitchens visited this year were on boats, which wouldn't have been practical for in-person visits.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Nice visit from my niece today. We went to the Port Townsend Kitchen tour -- virtually. Which was far better than none at all last year or than the previous year when they forgot to advertise it. A couple of the kitchens visited this year were on boats, which wouldn't have been practical for in-person visits.
    I never heard of a kitchen tour (sorry if I missed you posting about it before). We've done home tours (usually of historic or architecturally interesting homes) and garden tours (our town's garden club does one), but never one particularly aimed at kitchens. I'd love to do that.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My friend who lives down the road visited yesterday . . . and hugged the kids. (She's fully vaccinated.) They were incredibly excited by that; last year, Sandy cried when she was told she couldn't hug people.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    ... last year, Sandy cried when she was told she couldn't hug people.
    Me, too.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Me, too.
    The problem is that people felt bad and wanted to hug her! But my best friend and I have made plans to have takeout together in five weeks. Neither of us will be inclined yet to go and sit down in a restaurant, much as we both miss that, but at least we'll be able to be together, next to each other.

"You can't erase icing."

The UK journalist Robert Crampton recently remarked that there were people all over the UK who punched the air and shouted "Yes-s-s!" when they received the news that hugging was cancelled for the foreseeable future. He overstates the situation for comic effect, but it's certainly true that, for those of who are more hugged against than hugging, it really was a tiny glimmer of comfort.

Grant Hutchison

Ha! Yes, I’ve always been a bit ambivalent about hugs. They are for special occasions usually with close family or friends. But outside of that it is more about polite tolerance than actual enthusiasm.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I wasn’t a big hugger but I did like hugging sometimes and I am starting to miss having the option to hug people.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I wasn’t a big hugger but I did like hugging sometimes and I am starting to miss having the option to hug people.
    Right. I hate driving, but being losing my license would be a stressful event.

Right. I hate driving, but being losing my license would be a stressful event.
    I have a few spares
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I have a few spares
    Licenses or stressful events? Cause I already got plenty of the latter!

Well, both, but I meant licenses.
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

I got to do something today I hadn't done for more than a year! I'd be happier about it if it hadn't been a visit to the dentist. But hey, my teeth are cleaner now.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Ha! Yes, I’ve always been a bit ambivalent about hugs. They are for special occasions usually with close family or friends. But outside of that it is more about polite tolerance than actual enthusiasm.
    I lean towards the politely intolerant these days, because some huggers seem remarkably insensitive to body-language cues.
    It's a minor version of those people who are accused of inappropriate and unwanted physical contact who respond, "Well, I'm a very tactile person." As if being a self-identified "tactile person" gives you a free pass to paw people whenever you want.

Grant Hutchison

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Whoever invented the “man hug” i’d like to see you in a dark alley tonight

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Whoever invented the “man hug” i’d like to see you in a dark alley tonight
    That could be interpreted one of two ways...

I've got friends who don't hug, and I try to respect that. (I think I hugged a non-hugging friend the first time I'd seen her in at least five years, but I'd forgotten, and she's someone I know from a place full of huggers.) But not having a choice to hug or not to hug is really stressful.

"You can't erase icing."

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

That could be interpreted one of two ways...
    Yeah, but ”I want to see you in my office” just didn’t convey the same tone.

I always find it annoying when a near stranger, too exuberant with bonhomie, shakes my hand and then goes for the hug…with a chest bump. Just…no.

I, for one, would not want a man hug in a dark alley.

I was mostly thinking of extended family and good friends, not strangers. People close enough to hug, but not in my current household "bubble". But as Gillianren said, it's more about not having the agency, whether you're asking, or deciding to accept or reject.

This whole thing is like I'm reading a conversation frim some other planet. I never encounter these "huggers" of whicch you speak.