Page 154 of 157 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,620 of 4689

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Very pretty and a nice looking playground.
    We used to take our own children to play in the same area over 30 years ago. But the playground has really been massively improved, especially over the last 10 years or so.

Voted, trained as an election official can't say anything about the election anywhere for a week, pumpkin pies and cookies in the oven for Turkey day.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2019-Oct-12 at 08:55 PM.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Today after turkey dinner I decided to walk home and about 1 km from home I ran into a couple of old teachers and then a person pulls into the driveway across where we standing and i was a second cousin I haven't seen in while.

My grandmother's clock. It was actually a 50th anniversary gift to both maternal grandparents in 1956, but Pop died only a year later while Nana lived on to be 99 and the clock was always a feature in her house, so that's how I think of it. I inherited it after she passed and we had it on our wall for years. It chimes on the hour and half-hour with a simply lovely sound. In fact, it just struck three as I typed that last sentence!

About 10 or 11 years ago it started having difficulties: When I would pull the chain to raise the winding weight it wouldn't catch and the weight would just plummet. After an expensive and unsuccessful attempt at getting it fixed, I put it away in a box and got another wall clock.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed, at much the same time, the box with the clock and a space on the wall in our guest room. I decided that since the whole room is practically a shrine to my family anyhow, lots of pictures and stuff, I might as well put it up even if it wouldn't run. And it ran! It's had the problem just once since and I still need to get it looked at, but it's doing right well for something over 60 years old.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clock1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	24639

Next to it on the wall is a shadow box my mom had done. It's a picture of Nana on her wedding day (also her 25th birthday!) along with the shoes she wore and other items from the era -- not sure if they were all in the wedding. I need to get the picture back in its little frame.

Name:	Clock2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	24640
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Reassembled a keyboard (from a C64C) I'd pulled apart into its individual springs, plungers, and key caps.

WD40 on the springs. Very light "sanding" on the bottom of the plungers. Wash the key caps and frame in dishwashing liquid. Isopropyl alcohol light scrubbing of the circuit board.

No parts missing. No parts left over. And it works - much better than it did. Woot! Small victory.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Bentleys Gonna Sort You Out!

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My grandmother's clock. It was actually a 50th anniversary gift to both maternal grandparents in 1956, but Pop died only a year later while Nana lived on to be 99 and the clock was always a feature in her house, so that's how I think of it. I inherited it after she passed and we had it on our wall for years. It chimes on the hour and half-hour with a simply lovely sound. In fact, it just struck three as I typed that last sentence!

About 10 or 11 years ago it started having difficulties: When I would pull the chain to raise the winding weight it wouldn't catch and the weight would just plummet. After an expensive and unsuccessful attempt at getting it fixed, I put it away in a box and got another wall clock.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed, at much the same time, the box with the clock and a space on the wall in our guest room. I decided that since the whole room is practically a shrine to my family anyhow, lots of pictures and stuff, I might as well put it up even if it wouldn't run. And it ran! It's had the problem just once since and I still need to get it looked at, but it's doing right well for something over 60 years old.

Name:	Clock1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	24639

Next to it on the wall is a shadow box my mom had done. It's a picture of Nana on her wedding day (also her 25th birthday!) along with the shoes she wore and other items from the era -- not sure if they were all in the wedding. I need to get the picture back in its little frame.

Name:	Clock2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	24640
    I have my mother’s cuckoo clock from 1920 bought when she was born. I repaired the bellows many years ago and tinkered, it runs and cuckoos. Then for last Christmas I bought a grandfather clock sold as furniture because it would not run, it’s 1790, and just needed some bending of metal and adjustment of the anchor escapement, now keeping good time. I like clockwork.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

A friend of mine tried to get me into clock repair. It amuses me because I'm not patience enough or knowledgeable enough to do such things. He wanted my help because he lacks those traits, too. I have a steady hand, but that isn't remotely what you need.

On one attempt, I removed a screw and the whole clockwork fell out and smashed on the floor. We never found all the pieces.

I am happy to report that he has never asked for my help again.
    Solfe

I have an antique clock that belonged to my dad, who had been planning to take up clock repair as a hobby. This clock doesn't run, because Dad died before he got into his hobby.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I have an antique clock that belonged to my dad, who had been planning to take up clock repair as a hobby. This clock doesn't run, because Dad died before he got into his hobby.
    A good challenge! Do you want tips?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Ok, just for balance, here is my grandfather's clock in the same room! It's quite a bit older, mid-1930's or so. Made by a company called Telechron, who pioneered synchronous electric clock. My grandfather had it on his desk in his law office.

Here's hoping the picture doesn't come out sideways this time....

Name:	Telechron.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	293.2 KB 
ID:	24641

It runs, but I don't have it plugged in as it started making an unpleasant noise. I'll have to get this one fixed as well one of these days.

ETA: This appears to be the model.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2019-Oct-19 at 10:01 PM.

That’s a handsome clock, I presume it uses a 60 hertz motor, shaded pole perhaps? The first gear of those can get noisy as they wear, and a new bearing or bushing might fix it. I might look up the Smiths equivalent. I saw five old Bethel Jacobs at auction andthey are waiting for me to make one working clock. There are two intact hand painted faces and mostof the brass mechanisms will run. This postofyo urs will spur me to action!
    sicut vis videre esto

I don't know about the type of motor, but the company was a pioneer in the field. According to the Wikipedia article, after developing the clock they discovered that local power companies weren't particular reliable at providing 60Hz, so they developed a special clock for them to do better at it!

Despite not getting much sleep and having to get up at 5 am to get to work by 7, having almost everyone telling you how nice it was outside is good day. I was bit of the outsider in group but every time between when the voters were there were telling stories about old neighbors and planning for upcoming charity/community auction that I haven't been to in years. I brought to much food for myself and the others brought soup and biscuits and they had cake left over from an anniversary party for the fire departments 50th anniversary, I brought most of my food home, despite now being overtired, it was over well a good day.

Irene had tubes put in her ears this morning. Everything went well, and she's already playing with the frog finger puppet a friend of Simon's gave her the other day. (Whom she initially named Murray but is now just calling Frog.) She's a little wobbly from the anesthetic still, though.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Irene had tubes put in her ears this morning. Everything went well, and she's already playing with the frog finger puppet a friend of Simon's gave her the other day. (Whom she initially named Murray but is now just calling Frog.) She's a little wobbly from the anesthetic still, though.
    Nice. Murray is a great name for a frog.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Glad she's doing well. This year my Mom had tubes in her ears too... and she's 76. Keeps calling it her "second childhood".
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I'm stretched out in the recliner watching the world series. Or listening to it as my eyes keep closing.
    There is a cat down between my legs under the blanket. There is another cat on my lap, purring.
    I had a good dinner, vanilla ice cream, and just the right amount of red wine.
    I CAN imagine something slightly better than this, but can't discuss it on this forum.

Graham installs appliances for a living, and his employer has decided they don't want trucks on the road after two. So even though my sister's going to be too wiped out to go trick-or-treating with us, I won't have to take the kids alone tonight.

"You can't erase icing."

You should bring them to my neighborhood. We had zero Trick or Treaters last night. Again. I even put out some decorations to attract them and turned on lights.

It's a bit of a drive, though goodness knows parking would be easier than the neighbourhood we tried to go to again this year--the one over by the capital building. No parking, and everyone trying to find some. Next year, I've decided we'll park downtown and take the bus. But the kids had a good time at the downtown trick-or-treating, and then we went to the same place we did last year. I charged the kids a parent tax when we got home--and Simon has been giving me a few pieces out of his stash out of the goodness of his heart because they've been things he knows I like. Apparently, one of my friends had her kid yell from a doorway to the place she was waiting on the sidewalk, "Mom! I just got your favourite candy!"

"You can't erase icing."

I figured out a NaNoWriMo Rebellion project that will work. I'm editing every post on my blog for typos and adding images to every post. I can do this and it won't be time wasted.
    Solfe

It's a bit of a drive, though goodness knows parking would be easier than the neighbourhood we tried to go to again this year--the one over by the capital building. No parking, and everyone trying to find some. Next year, I've decided we'll park downtown and take the bus. But the kids had a good time at the downtown trick-or-treating, and then we went to the same place we did last year. I charged the kids a parent tax when we got home--and Simon has been giving me a few pieces out of his stash out of the goodness of his heart because they've been things he knows I like. Apparently, one of my friends had her kid yell from a doorway to the place she was waiting on the sidewalk, "Mom! I just got your favourite candy!"
    Hah! We got some candy just in case: dark chocolate Hershey's Kisses, because we pretty much knew who'd wind up eating them. (Mostly me.) Did you know dark chocolate goes pretty well with red wine? And they are good for your heart!

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

My computer has begun warning me that Windows 7 will soon lose support. I wouldnít care, except for the big issue of security updates. I bought this machine just as Win 10 was ramping up, and having lived through Vista, didnít want to be on the leading edge.

The happy part? First, I discovered that it is still possible to upgrade for free. Second, the update went smoothly, and most of the programs I care about seem to be working. (So far, only Acrobat reader is being balky).

Sometimes, it pays to be on the trailing edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Blue skies here and a B-17 just flew over my house. It has a distinctive sound!

Must be an air show nearby.

We live close to Ellington Field which is home for several WW2 planes, including a B17. I really like watching it fly overhead.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

We just had a family get together to celebrate two birthdays with chilie, cake and for me coffee. Maybe should of had before bringing in some wood earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    We live close to Ellington Field which is home for several WW2 planes, including a B17. I really like watching it fly overhead.
    I worked across the street from Paine Field in Everett, WA; home to Paul Allen's Flying Heritage collection. We'd see them flying around sometimes. Lovely sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Sometimes, it pays to be on the trailing edge.
    Many years ago I decided never to purchase xx.0 of any software.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Many years ago I decided never to purchase xx.0 of any software.
    Same here, though I was amongst the original group of MS Access buyers because that deal was too good to pass up and the software seemed to be a really convenient approach to relational databases.

It's been so long now that I only have a vague recollection of MS' offer of the free upgrade to Win 10. At the time I was using Win 7. I recall MS initially said the offer would be good for a year, and it was possible to commit to the upgrade but not install it immediately. So I waited almost a year, thinking that by then the worst of the bugs would have been cleaned up. It worked out well for me.

I have one of those $25 telescopes. The type that is 1000x magnification and has a picture of Pluto on the box. (Yes... I know... I know...)

I've never used it. This week, I'm taking it to my classroom. We are going to put pictures of all the planets on the wall and use the telescope to look at them. I knew this thing would come in handy someday.
    Solfe