Page 152 of 155 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,560 of 4644

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

  1. #4531
    The new internet/cable/phone package seems to working better. Haven't needed to unplug the router to regain connection, faster downloads haven't tried any online games but haven't played any in while anyway. Getting use to the channel numbers and order. And I have the Space channel but that is going to renamed to the Sci-fi channel soon.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  2. #4532
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Within a day, we had enough other neighbors waiting for the eclipse with us to make it like a festival, complete with frisbees, footballs, loose friendly dogs, various musical instruments, a few big shared fires at night, sharing & trading of food, stargazing after the fires went out ...
    Wow. To each his own - but if that had happened to me, I'd have packed up my tent and gone home, eclipse or no eclipse. (Though of course I'd have carried my tent a long way from the road in the first place, to be sure it didn't happen to me.)

    Grant Hutchison

  3. #4533
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,882
    SiriusXM satellite radio, and The Weather Channel are cooperating to broadcast for TWC’s Sirius channel for free, even to radios without any subscription for the duration of Hurricane Dorian.

    I’m not sure how useful their coverage will be for hard hit areas, but consider it a good idea, in concept.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  4. #4534
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    SiriusXM satellite radio, and The Weather Channel are cooperating to broadcast for TWC’s Sirius channel for free, even to radios without any subscription for the duration of Hurricane Dorian.

    I’m not sure how useful their coverage will be for hard hit areas, but consider it a good idea, in concept.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are tens of millions still in the path of the storm as it works its way north and for them this could be useful. As a satellite service it will work even if local stations are knocked off the air. But as you say, in the hard hit areas, maybe not as much.

  5. #4535
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,654
    The tentless camping thing reminds me of touring the Canadian Rockies with my brother in the early to mid 1970's. We were in his elderly Datsun 510 station wagon, with sleeping bags in the back. Every third or fourth night we'd find a motel for a shower. Worked pretty well for young guys. Wouldn't work now for my wife and me!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  6. #4536
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    The last big trip I had in my Cruiser, I also took a normal tent because I wasn't sure exactly where I'd end up. The spot I found turned out to be perfect for a tent so it wouldn't have mattered what vehicle I had this time. I was almost 48 hours early for the eclipse and mine was one of the first few tents to go up on a treeless mountaintop/hilltop surrounded by Appalachian highland forest. Within a day, we had enough other neighbors waiting for the eclipse with us to make it like a festival, complete with frisbees, footballs, loose friendly dogs, various musical instruments, a few big shared fires at night, sharing & trading of food, stargazing after the fires went out, one guy with a big reflecting telescope showing other people some sights through it, and another guy who brought a drone and showed me a bit of how it worked and some pictures & video he took of our camp with it. Being the only person I know of there who knew ahead of time about shadow flames/snakes before & after totality, I rolled out my Cruiser Curtain Cloth on the grass to watch for it on and told others what it was for, and the word spread all around the mountaintop so then the whole camp knew to watch for it and started putting out whatever they had that might work for it too. When it started, I had people from halfway around the hilltop shouting at me that they were seeing it, and several of them told me afterward that that unexpected extra discovery was their favorite part. So I got to not only have my own favorite road trip but also contribute to a couple hundred other people's.
    Living the dream!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  7. #4537
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    10,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    ...
    Thanks for the detailed answer, Torsten. Consider me a little jealous, too!


    On the other issue, my car is a station wagon. The back seats fold flat (around 1.9 m long load space) and I've always wanted to see if I could sleep in it.

    Got to try it a few months ago when going to my Daughters' partners 30th. Stumbled home from the pub (using the train - no driving!) and slept in the car (parked at her place) so as not to disturb anyone.

    (She was a little miffed I didn't sleep inside the house, and that she didn't even know I was there. I thought I'd told her my plan.)

    Turns out I'm a little too tall for the car, but I have a plan to improve things. Rather tour on the bike, with a tent, but nice to have options.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

  8. #4538
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,618
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    ... Turns out I'm a little too tall for the car, but I have a plan to improve things. ...
    This sounds potentially destructive and/or disturbingly icky.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  9. #4539
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,211
    Little late to the party, but that looks like an awesome trip Torsten
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  10. #4540
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,654
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Thanks for the detailed answer, Torsten. Consider me a little jealous, too!


    On the other issue, my car is a station wagon. The back seats fold flat (around 1.9 m long load space) and I've always wanted to see if I could sleep in it.

    Got to try it a few months ago when going to my Daughters' partners 30th. Stumbled home from the pub (using the train - no driving!) and slept in the car (parked at her place) so as not to disturb anyone.

    (She was a little miffed I didn't sleep inside the house, and that she didn't even know I was there. I thought I'd told her my plan.)

    Turns out I'm a little too tall for the car, but I have a plan to improve things. Rather tour on the bike, with a tent, but nice to have options.
    Let's see, assuming the load space is 1.2m wide, Pythyagoras gives us a 2.25m diagonal, or about 7'4.5". You're pretty tall.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  11. #4541
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The tentless camping thing reminds me of touring the Canadian Rockies with my brother in the early to mid 1970's. We were in his elderly Datsun 510 station wagon, with sleeping bags in the back. Every third or fourth night we'd find a motel for a shower. Worked pretty well for young guys. Wouldn't work now for my wife and me!
    Oddly, though I've camped without a tent on many occasions, I've never slept in a car.

    Grant Hutchison

  12. #4542
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,922
    Today is Simon's first day of first grade. He's very excited. I met his teacher yesterday, and she talked to him enough to be aware of both how smart he is and how he needs to improve some of his social interactions. So she's at least a little prepared; how many first-graders put on their list of goals that they want to learn to do division?
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  13. #4543
    Sounds good, I really didn't know what to expect on my first day.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  14. #4544
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Today is Simon's first day of first grade. He's very excited. I met his teacher yesterday, and she talked to him enough to be aware of both how smart he is and how he needs to improve some of his social interactions. So she's at least a little prepared; how many first-graders put on their list of goals that they want to learn to do division?
    <Raises hand sheepishly.> Good he's looking forward to it.
    Not that children were invited to have "goals" back in the Dark Ages, but "long division" was what I always used to say when adults asked me what I wanted to learn when I went to school - I loved (still love, to be honest) the mystical indented pattern of numbers it generates. Picture my horror when I pitched up on the first day and they gave me blocks to play with, instead of getting tore straight into the mathematical esoterica.
    When my mother met me at the school gate that afternoon, and asked how things had gone, I'm reported to have rolled my eyes and said, "A complete waste of time," though I have no recollection of that.

    Grant Hutchison

  15. #4545
    I remember getting in trouble in the 3rd grade for not showing my work while doing long division, if they wanted to stay in and do it, don't teach in the spring when everyone wants to go outside.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  16. #4546
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We were in his elderly Datsun 510 station wagon...
    I remember those! The 510 sedan version was common in my little town.

    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    … Got to try it a few months ago ...

    Turns out I'm a little too tall for the car, but I have a plan to improve things. Rather tour on the bike, with a tent, but nice to have options.
    My first vehicle was a 1974 Ford Courier with a canopy attached to a slide-in box, a form of camperette. At 194 cm, I was too tall to sleep in it other than diagonally, and I only did that a couple of times under circumstances similar to yours. On this bike trip I stopped briefly at the campus of the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton, where I'd done an exchange year in 1980-81. Taking pictures of the buildings, I was reminded of one of those nights in that truck in the parking lot in front of the library.

    Re options - yes, there are times when I just want a fuel-efficient vehicle to get me to the trailhead, and if necessary, be able to stay comfortably inside it if the weather takes all the fun out of tenting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Little late to the party, but that looks like an awesome trip Torsten
    Thanks! I'll be thinking about the next one this winter.

    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Oddly, though I've camped without a tent on many occasions, I've never slept in a car.
    I have fond recollections of camping in the open, particularly, with my father in an open Ponderosa pine stand in southern BC, twice by a bay on Lake Superior, and as a sixteen year old in the alpine on a mountain outside my home town. On that night, the weather turned stormy, and I made a cocoon of my ground sheet to keep dry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Today is Simon's first day of first grade. He's very excited. I met his teacher yesterday, and she talked to him enough to be aware of both how smart he is and how he needs to improve some of his social interactions. So she's at least a little prepared; how many first-graders put on their list of goals that they want to learn to do division?
    I love this idea of the child having expectations of the year ahead. I certainly can't remember anything like that at his age.

  17. #4547
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    2,955
    Oh, and back to things that make me happy. I finally got motivated to clean a down sleeping bag myself. I used the bath tub as a basin, did multiple rinses, and successfully dried it without any clumping of the down. The loft is restored and it looks new! It's amazing how heavy down gets when it's wet.

  18. #4548
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I have fond recollections of camping in the open, particularly, with my father in an open Ponderosa pine stand in southern BC, twice by a bay on Lake Superior, and as a sixteen year old in the alpine on a mountain outside my home town. On that night, the weather turned stormy, and I made a cocoon of my ground sheet to keep dry.
    My most memorable open air camp was certainly in South Africa.
    As we settled down around the campfire on the first night, I lay down with my feet towards the flames, and the guide lay down with his head next to the fire.
    "Grant," he said, "you should lie this way around."
    "Alois," I replied, "it's too bright and hot with my head next to the fire."
    "Grant," he said, "my head is hot, and my eyes are dazzled. But when the leopard comes out of the darkness and seizes my foot, I will kick him in the face and he wil let me go. But he will seize you by the skull, you will be blinded by blood, and he will drag you off into the night."

    OK then. Bright and hot it is.

    Grant Hutchison

  19. #4549
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Oddly, though I've camped without a tent on many occasions, I've never slept in a car.

    Grant Hutchison
    Back in 1976 my wife and I drove around Western Europe for 3 months sleeping in the back of a 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Station Wagon. I certainly wouldn't do that today.

  20. #4550
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,256
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    My most memorable open air camp was certainly in South Africa.
    As we settled down around the campfire on the first night, I lay down with my feet towards the flames, and the guide lay down with his head next to the fire.
    "Grant," he said, "you should lie this way around."
    "Alois," I replied, "it's too bright and hot with my head next to the fire."
    "Grant," he said, "my head is hot, and my eyes are dazzled. But when the leopard comes out of the darkness and seizes my foot, I will kick him in the face and he wil let me go. But he will seize you by the skull, you will be blinded by blood, and he will drag you off into the night."

    OK then. Bright and hot it is.

    Grant Hutchison
    Not even “if”. “When”.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  21. #4551
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,654
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Oddly, though I've camped without a tent on many occasions, I've never slept in a car.

    Grant Hutchison
    In a addition to the old Datsun, I've slept in a car on other occasions. One memorable time was when I woke up, asked my wife where we were, and when told, questioned how we could have got that far. Then I looked at the speedometer. 100mph. Oh. We were somewhere in Nevada.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  22. #4552
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    In a addition to the old Datsun, I've slept in a car on other occasions. One memorable time was when I woke up, asked my wife where we were, and when told, questioned how we could have got that far. Then I looked at the speedometer. 100mph. Oh. We were somewhere in Nevada.
    Were you driving at the time?

    Grant Hutchison

  23. #4553
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,975
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Not even “if”. “When”.
    He exaggerated. Leopard attacks on humans are rare in Africa, and it probably couldn't have dragged me far, anyway. But there's all that neck biting and evisceration stuff to consider as well. And the secondary infection of penetrating bony injuries. It's just such a hassle, isn't it?
    When I woke up I had a big burnt patch in my hair where a spark from the fire had landed. I considered that a net gain.

    Grant Hutchison

  24. #4554
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    12,843
    Today is the day. Happy, nostalgic, old age inducing. I was on active duty for 20 years, 7 months, and 4 days. I have now been retired for 20 years, 7 months, and 4 days. Aim High Air Force.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  25. #4555
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,880
    I feel a little late, but thanks for your service.

    I really look forward to retirement, but the struggle to get there will continue for a few more years, assuming the economy holds.

    We did get this week off to visit our CA. daughter’s family, especially their 2-year old (granddaughter). We rented a mid-size car and asked for Sirius (radio). At their kiosk I noticed they were nearly out of cars. The attendant smiled, pointed to a close car and gave me the keys. It’s a new Challenger RT 5.7 L Hemi; no Sirius but a serious car instead! [Some puns are great!]. I really like it!
    Last edited by George; 2019-Sep-05 at 03:21 AM.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

  26. #4556
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    10,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Let's see, assuming the load space is 1.2m wide, Pythyagoras gives us a 2.25m diagonal, or about 7'4.5". You're pretty tall.
    I'm not a hypotenuse, nor a hippopotamus. Somewhere in between. At least, I'm not zero width.

    Having said that I was pretty much estimating. I'll go measure when it's not raining. (Edit: Darn science site, mumble, mumble, ...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    This sounds potentially destructive and/or disturbingly icky.
    I get you're joking, but anyway ... the horizontal parts of the rear seats flip up and forward, becoming vertical - against/behind the front seats.

    Then the backs of the rear seats fold forward and down. The backs of the seats become part of the flat load space, but the rears of what were the flats do stick up a bit.

    My plan is to make a small platform that is raised, so extends over that back edge of the horizontal-now-vertical bits. That'll make it just long enough for me.

    I can use the space under it for storage.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

  27. 2019-Sep-05, 04:43 AM
    Reason
    Dupe

  28. #4557
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,618
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    ... I get you're joking, but anyway ...
    Good. Sometimes I worry that I'm being too subtle (obtuse?) and should go back to adding a "Bazinga!" at the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    ... the horizontal parts of the rear seats flip up and forward, becoming vertical - against/behind the front seats.

    Then the backs of the rear seats fold forward and down. The backs of the seats become part of the flat load space, but the rears of what were the flats do stick up a bit.

    My plan is to make a small platform that is raised, so extends over that back edge of the horizontal-now-vertical bits. That'll make it just long enough for me.

    I can use the space under it for storage.
    My Escape does the same. Well, did until the release for one of the backs got mangled. Now only one side does its magic. One of these days I may get it fixed.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  29. #4558
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,922
    This morning, Simon woke up when I turned on his light (his little sister unplugs his alarm clock, so we still wake him up ourselves), got dressed quickly and without much complaining that he didn't know what to wear, and was ready to go ten minutes early. We had time to do a Spanish lesson before leaving the house and time to talk a bit about the history of language, and why words in Spanish sometimes sound like their English equivalent, and why English has so many synonyms for things, before his bus arrived.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  30. #4559
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,859
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Today is the day. Happy, nostalgic, old age inducing. I was on active duty for 20 years, 7 months, and 4 days. I have now been retired for 20 years, 7 months, and 4 days. Aim High Air Force.
    Congratulations! My son has enrolled in the Air Force. It's a trick and a half because he's been begging to do this since age 3 and he signed the papers just a few weeks ago. The trick is, he didn't get to choose his own birthday and he will be 17 when he goes in, despite graduating high school.

    My wife was never ok with him joining the armed forces, however, this week she mentioned something pretty special that settles it in her mind. When my son was little, he would carry around a notebook and collect autographs from anyone in an uniform. Firefighters, police officers, anyone in the the military. One page he is proudest of was when he met a few guys and gals from the Chicago area. They had been on a ferry mission for the Coast Guard and he caught them having wings in a local restaurant. They weren't even in uniform at the time. My wife remembers making him wait until they were done eating to get them to sign his book.

    Some people get a look when a child does that, like "what the heck?". He would flip back through the pages and tell them the story of each and every person who signed. That pretty much guaranteed that they would happily give him an autograph. It makes my wife tear up for more than a few reasons.
    Solfe

  31. #4560
    Maybe he will be a real life Jack O'Neill or better yet a Sam Carter.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •