Page 175 of 176 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176 LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,250 of 5257

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I actually share a birthday with someone I work with (December 24)
    Also with my late mother-in-law.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Also with my late mother-in-law.
    I've actually known quite a lot of people with birthdays in the last 2 weeks in December, including my great-grandmother (25th) and at least 4 friends.

Spring, and a young man's fancy turns to love.... or so they say.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My aunt's birthday was December 20. She hated that.

I also share a birthday with a famous American football player, one you see regularly on TV during the season. Not just the month and day but the year as well. No, I'm not saying who!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It's my tradition to tell my friends what celebrities they share birthdays with; your oldest shares his with Roosevelt "Rosey" Grier! One of the better football players-turned-actors, and one of the people who helped capture Sirhan Sirhan!
    For me (26 February), it’s Buffalo Bill Cody, the Olympic swimmer Jenny Thompson, the mountaineer Fritz Wiessner, and offshore sailors Charles Caudrelier and Alan Roura (who is exactly as old as me, being born in 1993 as well!)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Let's see, I (Aug 7) have Elizabeth Báthory, Nathanael Greene, Mata Hari, Louis Leakey, James Randi, David Duchovny, Charlize Theron, and - perhaps my personal favorite - David "Sledge Hammer!" Rasche.

None of them were born the same year as I was.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I've actually known quite a lot of people with birthdays in the last 2 weeks in December, including my great-grandmother (25th) and at least 4 friends.
    I know twins born on the 23rd.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My passport came in the mail today. I applied for renewal back in mid-February and was concerned it might have gotten lost.

Unfortunately, there aren’t many countries that are letting Americans visit these days.

For the “bugs me” thread, you have to mail your current passport in order to get a replacement. I think you can (in normal times) do it in person, but it is costly in money and time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    My passport came in the mail today. I applied for renewal back in mid-February and was concerned it might have gotten lost.

Unfortunately, there aren’t many countries that are letting Americans visit these days.

For the “bugs me” thread, you have to mail your current passport in order to get a replacement. I think you can (in normal times) do it in person, but it is costly in money and time.

Mailing in your old passport for a renewal has been the standard for as long as I remember. The only time I did an in-person was when I got my first one, and that was because I needed to rush it. At least at the time, there were not a lot of places you could do in-person, and I had to travel from Providence, RI to Boston to do it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Trivially annoying: my desktop PC clock has been refusing to keep time lately so, dead CMOS battery on the motherboard. Yet, I kept putting off replacement of it for couple of weeks. Today, I got around to reviewing the specs and found that it takes a CR2032 battery...something I keep a stock of for other devices. Happy.

I recently and completely revamped my cable management, so it was easy to disconnect the box, slide it out of the desk cubby. Happy x2. And thanks to a tool-less case, opening it up to make the switch was a quick job. Happy x3.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

You were in the zone, man

I wasn't having a very happy day yesterday, but then SpaceX launched and landed a rocket and I was able to see Comet Neowise!

There's a blackberry lemonade that we really like that only seems to be available a few weeks a year, and I had a glass of it this morning. And pointed out, as I poured it, that we have blackberry vines on our property and can in theory make our own blackberry lemonade as the berries ripen!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Blackberries, being an imported plant, are not common here. In fact they are 'declared pests' and must be eradicated when found. I had never heard of Blackberry Lemonade but looking up recipes on-line it seems like a very nice drink for a hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Blackberries, being an imported plant, are not common here. In fact they are 'declared pests' and must be eradicated when found.
    In these parts they commonly grow wild. We call them brambles. When I was a kid my family would take a couple of buckets into the countryside and collect enough to make jam. (There would be a day when we couldn't have a bath because the muslin jam bag was draining over the bath.)
    They can occasionally form an impenetrable barrier for hill-walking. I recall being on a forest track about 200m from the open hillside, but the clear-felled area between the track and the high moorland (my chosen line on to the hill) had been colonized by brambles. The thorny tangle turned me back after I'd covered about 10m.

Grant Hutchison

They are very common here as well. Everyone hates them, except for the few weeks when they get ripe. There seem to be at least two varieties, one of which is extremely seedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    There seem to be at least two varieties, one of which is extremely seedy.
    The Red Leaf district?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

This morning, I slept until ten and actually woke up feeling refreshed. Sure, I just barely got my regular Wednesday article posted on time (it's due at eleven, and I wrote about shows like Mr. Wizard's World and Bill Nye and how much my kids like them), but I don't feel exhausted.

"You can't erase icing."

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    In the early '90's my career took me all over this country, and whenever I found myself in Montreal in September, I would try to take in the Juste pour Rire festival.
    Just for laughs is a comedy festival renowned for introducing new comedic performers to the world.

Since it happened in Montreal many of the acts could NEVER be shown on United States TV - this is a festival with NO rules; nudity and offensive acts are common - and welcome. (Where ELSE would you see a naked guy playing a one-man-band kit (and playing it well) with a lit firecracker jammed up his arse?)
    In the early 90's I was in the St. Denis Theater, enjoying the acts with a temporary GF by my side when THESE guys came out.
    They were hot, really handsome. They played Flamenco like their guitars were on fire. They were insanely funny, this trio had us wetting our pants at their antics. It was the funniest thing I've EVER seen, and that's saying something.
    The group was called Olé and they blew the ROOF off the St. Denis Theater. I have NEVER seen anything so wonderful, so funny, so perfect since. For their 15 minutes they had the audience in the palm of their hand and NEVER let go.

I've been glum these past couple of weeks; work is hard and there's not much of a light at the end of the tunnel, mainly 'cause we ain't found no [language] tunnel yet. I found myself going into 'remember when?' land, and remembered these screamingly funny, crazy, brilliant Spaniards.
    God they were great. But finding "Olé" on Youtube is like searching for the word 'cool' on that site: you'll get BILLIONS of hits; none useful.

But I found them.
    Somehow, the link came up. That night was recorded and saved. What the permutations and convolutions that got this recording to Youtube I cannot guess, but the narrator is German (and apparently deaf) and the link was originally Russian. It is a poor quality link, dubbed over by a German narrator that (I guess) doesn't know when to shut up, but for it's low quality, here's the thing: I was THERE in that audience when Olé did this.
    I've been VERY glum, pretty down. I'm now cheering and clapping in pure delight - the memory I have of that evening is recorded!
    I've been to AC/DC concerts, I've gone to see ZZ Top. I've seen The Boss, the Gipsy Kings and Quiet Riot. I have NEVER seen an act that so completely OWNED the audience like Olé did that night.

Here they are, in all their crazy glory: Olé at the St. Denis theater, Montreal.
    I hope you adore them as much as I do.
    Last edited by Jim; 2020-Jul-23 at 01:34 AM. Reason: language
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

I am currently being made happy by a photo of my Grandkids enjoying camping out in the bush. My Son and Daughter and her family are currently in Karijini National Park. This is in an area known for gorges and great scenery and is about 1,380 km (860 miles) north of here. From the colour of the ground you will not be surprised to read that it is right in the middle of an area with large deposits of high grade iron ore. My Son will be spending about a week or so with them and then has to return to work. However, my Daughter will instead head another 850 km further north to Broome which is in the north west of our state. They will then slowly work their way back south over the next month. My Granddaughter, who is in Year One has been given homework to keep her up with her schoolwork.

https://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/park/karijini

I have blurred the kids faces but you can still see how happy they are. My Granddaughter is standing on a small termite nest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	karijini (3).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	405.4 KB 
ID:	25413

Name:	KariCampground_Moment (2).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	25412

Name:	Kajini1 (2).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	25414

I survived another auction, even thou a catch slipped out the back of an SUV. The guy is long tome customer and we have delivered stuff like this before. We stopped and then as the vehicle was going again it went out the back of the open hatch and we stopped before any dragging started, I guess it will last another two hundred years.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

In the DIY thread, I posted about replacing a toilet wax ring. I didn't mention how it went bad. Apparently one of my kids stood on the toilet and broke the ancient flange bolts holding it down. The toilet tipped and the wax ring lost it seal. "Use once" is super accurate when it comes to squishy wax.

It didn't take to long to hear a disturbance in the force around our house when the toilet broke. I ran into the bathroom and found all three kids staring at the toilet, dumbstruck. After a few moments of silence, I asked if everyone was ok. When I got three yes's. I decided to take a walk. No sense in trying to figure out who did what. That really damages my calm because teenagers take a long time to get to the main point.

The part that makes me happy is when I pulled the toilet out and pulled part after part of out the bag to fix it, my kids actually seemed impressed. Horrified at the mess, but impressed that I knew what all of the stuff does. Teenagers are hard to impress.
    Solfe

Somebody, can't remember who, said that being able to seat a toilet was some skill that separated the man from the boy, the capable from the geek, the rebel from the yankee, the something from the something else: I wish that I could remember the wording. Anyway, this guy would size up a politician or other speaker as to whether he thought the guy could successfully seat a toilet or not. The Wax Test.

That's a job I've never attempted. It's what plumbers are for.

I’ve done it a few times. As plumbing projects go, it is actually one of the easier ones - no super tight space to work in, no corroded pipe fittings that refuse to turn in a tight space where you can’t get leverage.

Biggest issue I had once, and that *was* work is when a bit of the wood floor had rotted from water. Luckily it wasn’t that large an area or I would have hired someone but I cut a good chunk out around the rot (hadn’t gotten too deep yet) and redid it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I have some crazy skill with a birding telescope and survey equipment. Somehow, I can set up a 'scope and point it at a target on a level plane without looking through the device. The moment you add in up and down, this skill doesn't just vanish, it's like I'm blind. If I am asked to set up a telescope to look at the stars, I am barely able to hit the sky. My kids noticed this on numerous scouting trips.

My kids love this because people are so polite when you attempt to help them. Say, setting up a telescope to look at the moon. I am so notoriously bad at this, my kids will volunteer me to do it so they can hear the scout master fumble: "Oh, thanks. Not bad for a first...ah what the heck did you do?" I am so horrible at it, "not bad for a first timer" is so clearly a lie, most people splutter to a stop rather than say it.

I don't know how and why I am so bad at this. I can identify stars, planets and moon with my eyes. The moment you add in the task of pointing a telescope, things go haywire.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I don't know how and why I am so bad at this. I can identify stars, planets and moon with my eyes. The moment you add in the task of pointing a telescope, things go haywire.
    The Eyeball Mark One comes with user-friendly software already installed. As for setting up telescopes, who knows what part of the brain controls that??
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have some crazy skill with a birding telescope and survey equipment. Somehow, I can set up a 'scope and point it at a target on a level plane without looking through the device. The moment you add in up and down, this skill doesn't just vanish, it's like I'm blind. If I am asked to set up a telescope to look at the stars, I am barely able to hit the sky. My kids noticed this on numerous scouting trips.

My kids love this because people are so polite when you attempt to help them. Say, setting up a telescope to look at the moon. I am so notoriously bad at this, my kids will volunteer me to do it so they can hear the scout master fumble: "Oh, thanks. Not bad for a first...ah what the heck did you do?" I am so horrible at it, "not bad for a first timer" is so clearly a lie, most people splutter to a stop rather than say it.

You get on of these they mark a bullseye around the target. You can get elsewhere for less.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Telrad-Finder-Sight/dp/B0000ALKAN
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    You get on of these they mark a bullseye around the target. You can get elsewhere for less.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Telrad-Finder-Sight/dp/B0000ALKAN
    I do need one of those!
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post

You haven't know true joy until you have attempted to renew a passport while living outside of your country of citizenship.

We just sent in an application to renew my wife's. The instructions said to expect it to take several months. That's ok, we aren't going anywhere!
    I do need to figure out how to renew my driver's license.