Page 172 of 174 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174 LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,160 of 5200

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Congrats!
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Lots of things have made me happy recently.

Bicycle riding. I love bicycle riding and the weather has been generally good for it. Yesterday I did a 44 km ride. I've done hundreds of km in the last month, both on the road and on trails.

Canoeing. The ice has been off the river for a long time, but I finally put the canoe in today about 11.5 km upstream of my home and met only one other boat on the paddle down. There was still some ice on the deeply shaded shoreline in a few places though. When I got home I hopped on the bicycle to retrieve my pickup at the launch site.

Best: Yesterday my first grandchild was born, a daughter to my son and his partner. In the last two months, my two older sisters have also become first time grandparents.
    Congratulations on the grandchild - they are great fun to have.

Congrats Gillianren for having kittens.

Coronavirus is slowing down the sales of illegal drugs like crystal meth and cocaine because it is hard to get the chemicals and the dealers kind stick out like sore thumbs in some areas.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I would imagine, as far as meth goes, you'd also want to avoid having your shelter-in-place shelter explode or blow up.

And, yes, congrats on the grandkid! It's a hard time to have a baby; I have a couple of friends who either just did or will soon.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Coronavirus is slowing down the sales of illegal drugs like crystal meth and cocaine because it is hard to get the chemicals and the dealers kind stick out like sore thumbs in some areas.
    This thing's been really bad for quite a lot of economic sectors.

So, we’ve biking and hiking more, flying less, using fewer drugs, and washing our hands more? Sounds like some good habits to keep after the crisis passes.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I think I've been whining a lot lately. So...
    This afternoon I was out on my deck. The weather was balmy. The view was lovely. I have an awesome new house that my lovely wife and I created. And she, the love of my life for the past 40+ years was standing next to me. We have two adorable kitties. We are financially secure. And this afternoon I cooked another really delicious hamburger. I am a very fortunate person.

Excuse me, I think there's something in my eye...
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

This past Saturday, my adult daughters and their spouses came to visit. We spent the day outdoors being careful to maintain distance, and wearing masks when appropriate. These are the only visitors we’ve had in months.

We ordered delivery BBQ, ate on the deck, and followed with the first use of our fire pit this year. The weather could not have been more perfect.

Bonus: they brought two hard to find items: paper towels and bleach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Yesterday, Simon and I took a very long drive and got kittens. They were being fostered by a friend of a friend who was looking for a forever home for them, and apparently kittens are in high demand this year and the shelters are pretty well empty. (Which is a good thing!) So we drove about an hour, got lost, and ended up meeting the person in a grocery store parking lot. I don't have pictures yet, because they are exploring the house still, but we now have Minerva and Mouse, whose names may or may not change in the next few days.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Can't wait for the pictures!

ETA: The last time we got kittens (Holy cow! They're twelve now!) we had a long drive also. To Olympia!

Ah, two of them. That’s a good number, from experience, three or four kittens can drive you to distraction, but two can socialize together, aren’t quite so dependent on humans and (again in my experience) tend to become better adjusted than a single kitten alone in a house. Remember to absolutely not accept kittens biting. If they don’t learn as kittens that those cute, playful bites aren’t allowed, they will put holes in your arms when they become adults.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Today is my mother's 100th birthday. She died a little over ten years ago but I have lots of good memories. And she visits me in my dreams from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    ... And she visits me in my dreams from time to time.
    My parents occasionally visit me that way too. I'd expect that something from the day before will have brought on the dream, but I've never been able to figure out what it was.

I was staying at my Yiayia’s apartment again in a dream a few weeks ago. She wasn’t there, but it was like it was when she was alive and we stayed when visiting her, whereas in the real world I imagine it probably has a new tenant now and is decorated different. I had an important decision to make the next day so it did give me a good feeling.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    ... So we drove about an hour, got lost ...
    Okay, really trivial now, but maybe not later.

When I was 12 we moved to Fort Worth. During our first few days there my mother went for a drive and got lost. She found it so fascinating that when she found her way home, she put me in the car and went out to get lost again. It's one of my best memories of time spent with her.

Years from now you and Simon can reminisce together about getting your kittens and getting lost along the way.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Yesterday, Simon and I took a very long drive and got kittens. They were being fostered by a friend of a friend who was looking for a forever home for them, and apparently kittens are in high demand this year and the shelters are pretty well empty. (Which is a good thing!) So we drove about an hour, got lost, and ended up meeting the person in a grocery store parking lot. I don't have pictures yet, because they are exploring the house still, but we now have Minerva and Mouse, whose names may or may not change in the next few days.
    KITTIES!!!! Congrats. Two is good, as they can keep each other company and grow up together. And yes, photos please!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    When I was 12 we moved to Fort Worth. During our first few days there my mother went for a drive and got lost. She found it so fascinating that when she found her way home, she put me in the car and went out to get lost again. It's one of my best memories of time spent with her.
    My mother used to do that quite frequently when we were kids. We’d intentionally get lost, then find our way home. Of course, you can only get so lost in NJ. Eventually, you hit the ocean or a major river. And if you find the Turnpike or Parkway, you can get home, but it’ll cost you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Around 30 years ago, my parents, my wife, and I took a train trip to Chicago, where we rented a car and drove around the Midwest looking at family history locations. Having arrived and rented the car, I found myself driving in Chicago. At rush hour No GPS. A not-very-precise map provided by Avis.

I instructed the family "Find me a freeway. Any freeway. Any direction. Once I'm on it, we can figure it out. The maps show those pretty well." That worked.
    We had quite a number of nice trips with my parents. Mostly car trips, but also a couple of train trips and cruises. Oh, and airplanes. We even went to Hawaii with them.
    I consider myself fortunate to have such good memories of my parents. Happy birthday, Mom. I miss you and will donate blood in your honor as soon as they let me.

My best getting lost memory, in retrospect of course, was in Paris. We had to pick up a leased car on one side of the city and drive to the other to pick up my daughter and her partner plus all our baggage at the hotel. This was my first time driving a left hand drive car, I had driven in Europe 35 years before but in a right hand drive car from the UK. I had printed out directions for the easiest way, in terms of Paris traffic at least, back to our hotel but my wife insisted that we use the GPS system. This was also the first time I had used one and it took us the 'shortest' not the easiest way. My plan was to use the Boulevard Périphérique - basically the ring road around Paris instead of which we went straight through the middle of the city - from Porte de Saint-Cloud to Porte Dorée.

We ended up driving along the Seine past the Place de la Concorde, in front of the Louvre, via the carpark of the Gare De Lyon (Railway Station), twice around the incredibly busy roundabout at the Place de la Bastille.Then, through a streetmarket that was just setting up and the people were not too happy to see us. To make it better the car was fitted, unknown to me, with an auto stop/start system that kept making me thinking that it had stalled. Plus it was a manual so I had to get used to changing gears with my right hand.

The rest of the trip was a cakewalk after this introduction.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-May-20 at 06:31 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8926.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	25255

Min and Mouse asleep in my windowsill. Better pictures will be forthcoming as I have better chances to take their pictures, but they haven't even been in the house 48 hours yet. Last night, they got kicked out of our room because on top of Graham is not a good place to play at night.

My family used to take driving trips when I was a kid. Particularly on Thanksgiving and the Sunday before Memorial Day--we'd go to my dad's grave on Memorial Day and then take a family drive together; one of the best pictures ever taken on me was on a family trip to the super bloom we had in California one year when I was in high school. The first Thanksgiving we did a driving trip, when I was in seventh grade, was a lot of fun, too, even if it did at one point involve a lot of Donner Party jokes while we were trying to persuade Mom to find an open restaurant.

"You can't erase icing."

Mew!

Last night, they got kicked out of our room because on top of Graham is not a good place to play at night.
    What are you talking about? That's the best place to play at night. Oh! You mean for you and Graham?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

1. I fried up a bunch of bacon to put in the fridge so I can have delicious BLT's. I never made one at home until a month or so ago and didn't realize what I was missing!
    2. Since the griddle was hot and I had bacon, I also fried a couple of eggs for brunch. And didn't break either yolk!
    3. The house smells like bacon.

Very slightly on the bugs me side, I forgot to put the toast in early enough. But it got done in time to sop up the last of the yolk.

1. I fried up a bunch of bacon to put in the fridge so I can have delicious BLT's. I never made one at home until a month or so ago and didn't realize what I was missing!
    2. Since the griddle was hot and I had bacon, I also fried a couple of eggs for brunch. And didn't break either yolk!
    3. The house smells like bacon.

Very slightly on the bugs me side, I forgot to put the toast in early enough. But it got done in time to sop up the last of the yolk.
    You will be ready for masterchief next time they make a new series.

There's cooking in Halo?
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Sorry added a letter, masterchef.

"Masterchief" somehow reminded me of BigDon. I wish he'd come back.

The Bigdon Cooking show.

Today is my mother's 100th birthday. She died a little over ten years ago but I have lots of good memories. And she visits me in my dreams from time to time.
    Darn, I forgot to include this picture in my post.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hoover_buffalo.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	25259
    That's former US President Herbert Hoover meeting with some leading citizens of Buffalo, Wyoming, around 1936 or 37. As you've probably guessed, the young woman in the foreground is my mother who was doing a story for the high school paper. My grandfather is far left.

ETA: Hoover was there on a fishing trip. If you visit Buffalo today you can still stay in the hotel. And while getting that link I realized you can see the same fireplace on their home page!

I just paid US$1.429 per gallon for gasoline. True, that included a dollar discount from the Safeway loyalty program, but it's still really cheap. The tax alone is around 60 cents.