Page 197 of 202 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,910 of 6041

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Yes, congrats on that, KaiYeves!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

More trivial than I feared it might be: I've been having a bit of difficulty maintaining a connection between my phone and the computer via USB. I went and found another cable and it's better. I was afraid it was the port on the phone!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Those small USB type datacables are notoriously weak. Especially the dataline contact breaks very easily. (and then of course there's that one old supercheap cable that just keeps working) And why is it called Universal when there's like 10 types of them? My son just fried a tablet by plugging in the wrong model of "universal" serial bus charge cable and trying a bit too hard.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    And why is it called Universal when there's like 10 types of them?
    This is obvious evidence of the existence of the Multiverse.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

We went out to eat last night for the first time in a while. On our way home, we passed an inflatable duck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ducks.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	26183

It took me three tries to read the red on white sign. At first I thought it said, "not for sale" but it really reads "Hot Tub Sale".
    Solfe

A few unrelated things have conspired lately to remind me of a particular spot in the Ozarks that I get pretty nostalgic about. Almost 21 years ago, I was one of a couple dozen college students & recent college graduates from around the country and a few other countries who were hired to spend several months collecting ecological research data. We were housed in the woods and often got to our various work sites by a network of miles of gravel trails without touching an actual road. At the end of one such trail, you'd emerge from the trees onto a sand/gravel bar on the inside of a curve in a creek with a cliff across from it on the outside of the curve. When we were on that bar, we were enclosed by trees on one side and the cliff on the other, so it felt cut off from the rest of the world, but it was still open to the sky above so some of my memories from there are by moonlight or starlight. We'd go there individually or in small groups at any time we wanted, day or night, alone or in small groups or in an occasional big gathering of all of us. And we never saw anybody else there, so it seemed like our little secret pocket of the world all to ourselves.

I had figured for years that there was no way I could ever find it again even if I wanted to try (knowing that going back wouldn't be the same experience anyway, more than two decades after the gang went our separate ways). But a couple of days ago, mostly out of curiosity, I thought of trying anyway at Google Earth by scrolling through the right general area of the forest. And I did find it. Somehow, the fact that I could find it again and could go back there if I chose to makes me happy even though I'm pretty unlikely to ever actually do it. (I might if it's on the way to somewhere else.)

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    A few unrelated things have conspired lately to remind me of a particular spot in the Ozarks that I get pretty nostalgic about. Almost 21 years ago, I was one of a couple dozen college students & recent college graduates from around the country and a few other countries who were hired to spend several months collecting ecological research data. We were housed in the woods and often got to our various work sites by a network of miles of gravel trails without touching an actual road. At the end of one such trail, you'd emerge from the trees onto a sand/gravel bar on the inside of a curve in a creek with a cliff across from it on the outside of the curve. When we were on that bar, we were enclosed by trees on one side and the cliff on the other, so it felt cut off from the rest of the world, but it was still open to the sky above so some of my memories from there are by moonlight or starlight. We'd go there individually or in small groups at any time we wanted, day or night, alone or in small groups or in an occasional big gathering of all of us. And we never saw anybody else there, so it seemed like our little secret pocket of the world all to ourselves.

I had figured for years that there was no way I could ever find it again even if I wanted to try (knowing that going back wouldn't be the same experience anyway, more than two decades after the gang went our separate ways). But a couple of days ago, mostly out of curiosity, I thought of trying anyway at Google Earth by scrolling through the right general area of the forest. And I did find it. Somehow, the fact that I could find it again and could go back there if I chose to makes me happy even though I'm pretty unlikely to ever actually do it. (I might if it's on the way to somewhere else.)
    Very cool.

I'm reminded of this quote.
    "Within ourselves there is a deep place at whose edge we may sit and dream." - Lehrman

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post

I've tried that a few times, and it also makes me happy when I'm successful in finding the place.

It's easier for more recently visited places because I often keep a GPS record of my trips and interesting spots, and I turn those into KMZ files that I can later view on Google Earth.

Happy and sad: I was looking through old catapult pictures and came upon one which included Torsten and the Glassman family. That's Looking Skyward, who is no longer with us. I miss him but it reminded me of some good days.

It's 8:00 AM, or just after. First the guest room clock bonged, then the alarm on the phone went, then the living room clock bonged, all within about 10 seconds. Pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Happy and sad: I was looking through old catapult pictures and came upon one which included Torsten and the Glassman family. That's Looking Skyward, who is no longer with us. I miss him but it reminded me of some good days.
    That was a fun afternoon setting up the equipment and seeing the other groups' and their machines. I spent a few hours with the Glassmans at their place the following day before continuing on to Victoria to visit family. Sort of in the theme of what Delvo mentioned, I made a point on my return ride home of finding and spending a night at the campsite where my father and I had first camped under the stars when I was a child.

I went for a nice walk tonight (beautiful warm night) and saw Venus for the first time in a long time. Trees plus my tendency to not be a "morning person" make me miss it when it's a "morning star", but I always welcome its reappearance in the evening sky.

My niece's Confirmation* is today. Family & friends will watch on Zoom and then we're throwing a party.

* For those not familiar it's the Catholic adulthood ceremony.

My sister called me yesterday, which is a rare enough event even now. She and her girlfriend are getting married in late July. (This information is not for wide distribution, because she wants to tell people herself, but none of you know my sister!) Not only am I happy that she seems to be in a good relationship, but I can't help comparing it to her last spouse. Where she told me six months after the fact that they'd gotten married and where he was basically getting her to shut everyone out of everything. I talked to her for about half an hour yesterday--and she doesn't really like talking on the phone--about weird silly family stories and so forth. She even acknowledged some of what had gone wrong and hurt me twenty years ago. She says they haven't worked out what the ceremony's going to look like, but if she has need of a ring bearer or a flower girl, I've got children I can loan her.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    ... but if she has need of a ring bearer or a flower girl, I've got children I can loan her.
    Congrats to your sister. It will be our little secret.

The quoted sentence fragment amused me. I keep thinking "... and we have very attractive and affordable payment options for your loan!".

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Congrats to your sister. It will be our little secret.

The quoted sentence fragment amused me. I keep thinking "... and we have very attractive and affordable payment options for your loan!".
    Also congrats.
    I mentioned the news to my wife, who keeps up with Gillian on Facebook.

My sister was very obliquely telling me, "Don't post it on Facebook, because we haven't told everyone yet." She's no longer on Facebook, apparently because my ex-brother-in-law exhibited some unpleasant behaviour when she left him.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Once again it has been proven that measures taken to reduce Covid are also very useful to reduce the prevalence of normal 'flu'. So far this year my state has had only 15 identified cases of flu. To the same date in 2019 there had been 1,946 cases. The only problem is that complacency has again crept in. Only 45% of people in Australia aged 18 - 64 have had flu shots so far this year while last year the figure was 71.8% at the same time.

All that being said my wife is currently suffering through a very bad cold and I have a sore throat and runny nose- thanks to our granddaughter.

This morning, one of my favourite YouTubers posted a video for making kettle corn that is the most heartwarming cooking show I've ever seen.

"You can't erase icing."

We now have four tins of Cougar Gold Cheese in our fridge. It's just lovely stuff. I'm hoping to let at least one age a few years.

As of yesterday, we've completed Sandy's preschool registration for the fall. There are aspects of this I'm not thrilled with--I have Feelings about the importance of preschool, for starters, and while our program is relatively low-cost, the free-for-low-incomes program hasn't updated their information for next school year yet. But next year, she'll be interacting with children her age on a regular basis.

"You can't erase icing."

Yesterday, I got together with two friends from college. We were at a park and fully vaccinated, but one lives on the East Coast (not far from ToSeek, actually) and the other lives closer but has consistently been one of the most unreliable people I know (not a bad person, just lousy at follow-through) for all those years. We actually hugged each other--as I told him, I don't normally hug him, but after this? Hugs all around. I think the last time I'd seen him was Zane's sixth birthday party, which is coming up on two years ago; it had been a similar length of time since I'd seen her, because she does visit the West Coast and all her friends and family here as she can. We had dinner together, and we went for a walk on what she says is the most beautiful trail in our county. And I don't think she's wrong. It's the Tumwater Falls Park, though, which means that my knees are not happy with me this morning, having gone up and down a trail alongside three waterfalls.

"You can't erase icing."

I've noticed that since 9/11, every single story I read about attempted hijacking of planes has failed. The combination of locked cockpit and passengers who will with 100% certainty take action to capture the hijacker just works. It also helps of course that most often we are talking about a deranged/drugged/drunk unarmed individual and not a group of extremely agressive, armed, planned hijackers. But still. And the cherry on the cake is that as far as I read, in every case passengers + crew have been able to capture the hijacker without killing him. It became clear pretty much on 9/11 that this would likely be more or less the last plane hijacking ever, and 20 years later it seems to be true. You'd need to be seriously armed to make it work these days, and with the increased airport security that's also not gotten any easier.

So yes, it does make me happy that one problem in this world is pretty much solved.

I was made happy yesterday by my brother being made unhappy. What actually happened was that he and his wife had tickets to a 'big' Australian Rules Football match last night. Unfortunately, for him, he began to develop a cold yesterday and didn't want to go out in the evening. So he rang me up with an offer of a free ticket. I happily took it up and had a great time. The match was excellent only being decided in the literal last minute. It was also the first time that I had been to this fairly new stadium opened in 2018. As there are currently few 'Covid' restrictions, and currently no Covid cases, in this state there was crowd of around 50,000 there in a stadium that can seat 60,000.

If you are interested I have attached a few photos of my night out.

Looking out from the outside terrace of the stadium towards central Perth looking across the Swan River.

Name:	Footy.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	279.3 KB 
ID:	26242

The oval before the game

Name:	Footy2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	415.0 KB 
ID:	26243

During the game

Name:	Footy4.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	633.3 KB 
ID:	26244

If you have a liking for heights you can get a good view from way up - 42 metres above the playing surface

Name:	Footy3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	26245

The stadium is connected to central Perth by a footbridge.

Name:	Footy1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	276.3 KB 
ID:	26246
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Jun-14 at 05:07 AM.

A crowd of 50.000, we're not exactly there yet in this part of the world. Looks like you had fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    A crowd of 50.000, we're not exactly there yet in this part of the world. Looks like you had fun!
    It was a lot of fun!. I haven't been to a game for about 5 years and I was lucky to get a good one and on a lovely night.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    The stadium is connected to central Perth by a footbridge.

Name:	Footy1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	276.3 KB 
ID:	26246
    Very cool looking bridge. Glad you had fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Very cool looking bridge. Glad you had fun.
    It is a very nice bridge and is called the "Matagarup Bridge" which is the Nyungar (local Aboriginal language) name for this area. You can climb it up to 72 metres above the water. https://www.zipclimb.com.au/?gclid=E...SAAEgJ8HvD_BwE

It is illuminated at night and this is it in the distance when we were leaving the stadium. When the stadium and bridge are both illuminated and sparkling with different colours it is quite a dramatic sight.

Name:	Footy5.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	300.8 KB 
ID:	26247
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Jun-15 at 03:12 AM.

My sister got a car yesterday to replace the one from the accident.

Although it now looks like the old* wreck will not be totaled by the insurance company, she has at least (and at last) received a coherent explanation why it won't, and will be able to sell it for enough to cover most of the new** vehicle. The "new" was affordable and happens to fit exactly the qualities she was looking for, save one feature that's going to be added within a day or two, and the upgrade also did not break the bank.

So all in all, a positive development, and one that takes a considerable weight off her shoulders after a stressful time.

*Which she had just gotten.
    ** New to her, it's used.

Ah, thatís good to hear. Iím amused to notice that you appear to be posting just a couple minutes in my future, which probably means you posted 20 minutes or so in my past.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser