Page 153 of 154 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154 LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,590 of 4602

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

The site actually left me logged in when I told it to!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Got a couple of hours of wood splitting done this morning, when I stop someone came back from town with a sub and then it started raining and found out Stargate Atlantis was on.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Bodged a Commodore Plus 4 power supply (square DIN to round DIN) and one of my C 64's is now alive.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    He exaggerated. Leopard attacks on humans are rare in Africa, and it probably couldn't have dragged me far, anyway. But there's all that neck biting and evisceration stuff to consider as well. And the secondary infection of penetrating bony injuries. It's just such a hassle, isn't it?
    When I woke up I had a big burnt patch in my hair where a spark from the fire had landed. I considered that a net gain.

Grant Hutchison
    Leopard attacks on humans are rare, but there are records of them killing gorillas. If they can do that, I think they can kill humans

There are a few cases of people killing attacking leopards.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Leopard attacks on humans are rare, but there are records of them killing gorillas. If they can do that, I think they can kill humans
    They surely do kill humans - just rarely in Africa. It happens more frequently on the Indian subcontinent, where leopards are more habituated to human contacts. In the African bush, you're much less likely to encounter a leopard willing to mess with humans. (Makes it all the more disappointing if you do, of course.)

Grant Hutchison

Is "disappointing" an understatement?

In the African bush, you're much less likely to encounter a leopard willing to mess with humans.
    I had one pass within, I would say, two metres (I didn't use a measuring tape) of our open-top vehicle, showing not the slightest interest in the humans inside.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I had one pass within, I would say, two metres (I didn't use a measuring tape) of our open-top vehicle, showing not the slightest interest in the humans inside.
    The thing with vehicles is interesting. In Botswana, we sat in an open-topped vehicle next to a pride of lions getting ready for the evening hunt - they were getting to their feet and stretching, and communicating in gentle little roars that nevertheless spoke to a deep part of a person's brain-stem. Then they just strolled past the vehicle on either side, at a similar distance.
    Our guide told us to sit still and under no circumstances to "break the silhouette" by standing up. He said we'd get their immediate attention if they saw some sort of biological movement popping up above the blocky shape of the vehicle. They seemed uninterested in our (quiet) conversation and the movements of head and hands, however.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Is "disappointing" an understatement?
    Sort of a private joke. When I was a trainee anaesthetist, the first operating list I was assigned to work on my own was a a series of tonsillectomies in children. I assumed this was an error (small anxious patients with sensitive airways full of blood didn't seem like an ideal first solo), and went to report the "mistake" to my boss as soon as the assignment appeared on the rota.
    He assured me it was deliberate, because, "It's very difficult to kill a child."
    "Doesn't that make it all the more disappointing if I do kill one?" I asked.

Grant Hutchison

I just heard this quote and I really like it

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day." - Theodor Rosyfelt
    (and apparently falsely attributed to A. A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh)).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The thing with vehicles is interesting. In Botswana,
    That's where my leopard incident was.

we sat in an open-topped vehicle next to a pride of lions getting ready for the evening hunt - they were getting to their feet and stretching, and communicating in gentle little roars that nevertheless spoke to a deep part of a person's brain-stem. Then they just strolled past the vehicle on either side, at a similar distance.
    Our guide told us to sit still and under no circumstances to "break the silhouette" by standing up. He said we'd get their immediate attention if they saw some sort of biological movement popping up above the blocky shape of the vehicle. They seemed uninterested in our (quiet) conversation and the movements of head and hands, however.
    Similar for us also

I wasn't thrilled about waking up so early this morning, but I got a shower, and then I actually sat down and wrote a column I'm supposed to be doing monthly for my Patreon subscribers but have been really bad at.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Talk Like A Pirate Day! I am wearing a striped shirt, bandana, and a shell-on-twine beachcomber’s necklace I made last year and doin’ me best t’ be speakin’ the proper nautical tongue on this day. Arrrr!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I all forget about until I heard Barrett's Privateers on the cell phone.
    https://youtu.be/ZIwzRkjn86w

This evening I took a few minutes to read and a bug just hovered there and in the light you can see the wings beat.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Talk Like A Pirate Day! I am wearing a striped shirt, bandana, and a shell-on-twine beachcomber’s necklace I made last year and doin’ me best t’ be speakin’ the proper nautical tongue on this day. Arrrr!
    Arrrr! It's also, if you are American, 9-19-19. Then again, 19-9-19 might be even better!

Meanwhile, YouTube inexplicably recommended this video for me. I've been retired from Boeing for 9.5 years now but there's still something....
    Be sure to pause at 10:25 and admire my throttles. I didn't design them, but was responsible for them for about 15 years so they're still mine. Along with a lot of other stuff on the airplane.

Don't stop after the landing, the cargo facilities are quite interesting. There's even kitties!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The history of "talking like a pirate" is actually kind of neat--it's the accent of Dorset, essentially, because the man who played Long John Silver in the Disney Treasure Island was from there and just emphasized the accent. When we're talking "like a pirate," we're talking like Robert Newton's boyhood memories.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The history of "talking like a pirate" is actually kind of neat--it's the accent of Dorset, essentially, because the man who played Long John Silver in the Disney Treasure Island was from there and just emphasized the accent. When we're talking "like a pirate," we're talking like Robert Newton's boyhood memories.
    Aye, and southwest England is also known for its association with famous privateers such as Sirrrrr Frrrancis Drrrrake!

A nice and sunny afternoon, helped a little cleaning one of the wood stoves, bringing in some wood and reading then one of my great aunts stopped by to say happy birthday to my mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    I just heard this quote and I really like it

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day." - Theodor Rosyfelt
    (and apparently falsely attributed to A. A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh)).
    This song suddenly popped in my mind.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

I got a kick out of this motorcycle:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ballon Motorcycle.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	826.3 KB 
ID:	24551

Look closely for it's entirely made of one type of object.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I got a kick out of this motorcycle:

Name:	Ballon Motorcycle.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	826.3 KB 
ID:	24551

Look closely for it's entirely made of one type of object.
    That's great! I'm not sure I'd have seen it right off but the file name kind of gives it away.

Yes! That is a great song and I am always glad to hear it! Have you seen the music video with Captain Hook's crew from Peter Pan?

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Yes! That is a great song and I am always glad to hear it! Have you seen the music video with Captain Hook's crew from Peter Pan?
    It didn't pop into my mind, exactly, but now that it's there it won't go away. Thanks so much for the earworm! I've never been to Boston in the Fall!

Looks like a lost something like 30lbs of weight and I got a job for a couple of days with the elections.

This morning I saw that my oldest niece was taking her grad photo and when I was at the bank I saw a baby photo of the same girl, where has the time gone.

I’m on vay-cay-shuuuun!!!!
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

A friend I don't see very often came and visited yesterday--and he told me what was wrong with my computer, which has been having a small but annoying recurring problem for over a year now. The computer is having problems talking to the monitor, for reasons he explained, and the fact that I was budgeting for a new monitor next month anyway means that the problem should be resolved then.

"You can't erase icing."

The spring school holidays (2 weeks) are with us and today we looked after our 2 grandkids while our daughter was at work. It was a lovely day at about 26C with blue skies so we took them to Kings Park for a picnic. This is a large central city park in Perth. - https://www.experienceperth.com/destination/kings-park It is 4.06 km² of parkland, memorials and nature reserve (NY Central Park is 3.41 km²).

Them having a look at a tiny part of the displays of Western Australian wildflowers

Name:	kidsflowers.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	901.2 KB 
ID:	24597

A general view of part of this playground area

Name:	parkview1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	792.0 KB 
ID:	24598

Very pretty and a nice looking playground.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules