Page 185 of 190 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,550 of 5680

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

12 hour SGU show.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Yes.

It was interesting hearing about the speech difficulty she overcame; I had never heard of such a thing (having difficulty saying certain letters).

I also heard that her books of poems have jumped to numbers 1 and 2 on Amazon.
    I was really impressed by her poetry.

My son had the same difficulty with "r" as a child, but he overcame it quite young, with professional help.

I had difficulty with "th" when it was in the middle of a word, as in father or mother, around the time I first entered school. I pronounced it like "v". I was well aware of it, and figured it out on my own. I'd forgotten all about it until years later I met an adult with the same problem.

After about 10 years of procrastination I have finally bitten the bullet and had a rooftop Solar Power system fitted today. It is a 6.6 kW system with 18 panels that can feed around 5 kW into the power grid. This is the maximum size allowed here for a domestic connection. It means that I have now joined the 33% of West Australian homes that have a Solar Power system. Apparently, Australia has the highest percentage of homes with a Solar Power system in the world. The installation is partly subsidised by the State and Federal Governments and we get paid an average of about 4 cents per Kw/h for power we feed into the grid. The system should pay for itself within about 4 1/2 years. We are now going to be sure to try and use our power hungry appliances during daylight hours - as much as is practicable of course.

Actually the ever-increasing uptake of solar power is causing a problem for the local electricity supplier. Their 'base load' plant is having problems as "coal-fired plants were not designed to be quickly ramped up or down in such a way, meaning they were ill-equipped to respond to sudden fluctuations in solar production.". The other states are able to share loads between themselves on the National Grid but we are too far away for it to be economical to connect to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solar.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	25842

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solar2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	25843

The sun makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I had difficulty with "th" when it was in the middle of a word, as in father or mother, around the time I first entered school. I pronounced it like "v". I was well aware of it, and figured it out on my own. I'd forgotten all about it until years later I met an adult with the same problem.
    In parts of England, it's a dialect: "favver" and "muvver". (Well, "favvah" and "muvvah", actually.)
    It gives rise to mis-spellings that reveal the writers accent, when they run into an uncommon word that their accent converts to a homophone of a more common word. The one I see most often in this case is the use of the word slither for sliver--"All that was left were a few slithers of wood."

Grant Hutchison

According to the Ann Cleeves books I'm reading, in Northumbria you call your mother "Mam".

Edited for a completely unrelated addition: My breakfast, at least eight days out of ten, is half a bagel, toasted, with peanut butter. But today I had a sudden inspiration and scrambled an egg, which I had with half a whole wheat English muffin. It was a nice change!
    In the "bugs me" department, it was scrambled because I broke the yolk. I'd have liked a runny intact yolk on top of the muffin. Maybe tomorrow.
    Also, I just typed "yoke" instead of "yolk".
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2021-Jan-28 at 03:55 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Also, I just typed "yoke" instead of "yolk".
    I broke the yoke, I'm free! I'm free! I am Spartacus!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Sitting in the waiting room for my follow-up to yesterday’s cataract surgery. Drove in sans glasses but I did make a quick stop to buy some readers, which I’m using now.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I broke the yoke, I'm free! I'm free! I am Spartacus!
    As the plot goes, if you're Spartacus, you're toast!

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Sitting in the waiting room for my follow-up to yesterday’s cataract surgery. Drove in sans glasses but I did make a quick stop to buy some readers, which I’m using now.
    I'm looking at getting this same surgery down the road, so I'm cheering for you!
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

According to the Ann Cleeves books I'm reading, in Northumbria you call your mother "Mam".
    Yes, there's a big patch of Mam in the northeast of England; but it's also pretty standard in the Republic of Ireland, and there are patches of it in south Wales, and along the Moray coast in Scotland. But not to be confused with the homophonous word containing a short front "a" that's required when addressing the Queen--that's Ma'am to rhyme with jam.

We also have a small concentration of "Mom" (usually thought of as an American pronunciation) around Birmingham.

"Mum" is the most widespread in the UK, though.

There's a lovely heat-map of Mum/Mam/Mom/Ma usage in the British Isles, based on tweets, here. (I'm particularly charmed by the fella on the oil rig in the North Sea tweeting about his Mum.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

There's a lovely heat-map of Mum/Mam/Mom/Ma usage in the British Isles, based on tweets, here. (I'm particularly charmed by the fella on the oil rig in the North Sea tweeting about his Mum.)
    That's pretty funny. I'm always amused by those regional differences. I've seen several of those for various food items in the United States, such as "pop vs. soda" and "hero, hoggie, grinder, submarine, po-boy".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That's pretty funny.
    Another thing about the maps that amuses me is how France lights up for "Ma".
    Ma foi,
    I'm sure that has nothing to do with anyone's mother.

Grant Hutchison

I needed to go to the bank this morning. The name sign for the cashier I went to said "Hailey". The one for the next one to the right also said "Hailey". So did the one beyond that. I had to ask.
    They do indeed have three Hailey's working there. And it's not a large operation.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    After about 10 years of procrastination I have finally bitten the bullet and had a rooftop Solar Power system fitted today. It is a 6.6 kW system with 18 panels that can feed around 5 kW into the power grid. This is the maximum size allowed here for a domestic connection. It means that I have now joined the 33% of West Australian homes that have a Solar Power system. Apparently, Australia has the highest percentage of homes with a Solar Power system in the world. The installation is partly subsidised by the State and Federal Governments and we get paid an average of about 4 cents per Kw/h for power we feed into the grid. The system should pay for itself within about 4 1/2 years. We are now going to be sure to try and use our power hungry appliances during daylight hours - as much as is practicable of course.

Actually the ever-increasing uptake of solar power is causing a problem for the local electricity supplier. Their 'base load' plant is having problems as "coal-fired plants were not designed to be quickly ramped up or down in such a way, meaning they were ill-equipped to respond to sudden fluctuations in solar production.". The other states are able to share loads between themselves on the National Grid but we are too far away for it to be economical to connect to it.
    Nice! That's a quick return on your investment.

Are there plans for giant battery in your area as I've read was done elsewhere in Australia? (I'm thinking of the much talked-about Tesla battery.)

I needed to go to the bank this morning. The name sign for the cashier I went to said "Hailey". The one for the next one to the right also said "Hailey". So did the one beyond that. I had to ask.
    They do indeed have three Hailey's working there. And it's not a large operation.
    How odd, especially that they all spell it the same way. My eldest is named Haley. Before she was born, we looked into the provincial statistics for children's names in prior years. IIRC, there had only been about five girls given that name, or variants of it, per year, at a time when about 20,000 girls were born each year. One source told us that it had fallen out of fashion for a time and was considered to be a name given by well-to-do snobs, or some-such. I'd always liked it and wasn't going to let that stop us!

"Mind if we call you Bruce?"

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    As the plot goes, if you're Spartacus, you're toast!
    No, no, not the famous one. The other guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Nice! That's a quick return on your investment.

Are there plans for giant battery in your area as I've read was done elsewhere in Australia? (I'm thinking of the much talked-about Tesla battery.)
    The return is quicker now as the prices for the systems have probably dropped by over 60% in the last 10 years. But the amount paid back by the electricity supplier for 'feed-in power' has also dropped markedly as so much more has become available.

I had actually forgotten but the State government announced late last year that they are 'intending' to build a 100-megawatt battery installation. It would be the 2nd biggest one in Australia and would "bear the capacity to power approximately 160,000 homes in WA for two hours." I was amused, given my user name, that the battery is meant to solve the "duck curve" problem! "The Government is confident that it will help solve the “duck curve” issue where there are high levels of solar and renewable power sources on the grid during the day. This particular problem results in high peak load at night, particularly during mid to late evenings."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_curve

Yeah, I mentioned this summer we (California) had a day where demand exceeded supply a bit after sunset on a very hot day, and there were rolling blackouts. We got hit with air conditioning and dinner cooking power demand at the same time when solar was no longer available. Some conventional supply was down for maintenance but there has also been a permanent reduction in conventional supply as well. We have interstate ties, but they can only handle so much and other states also had heavy summer demand. There is more interest in grid battery systems here too.

There are also times that grid solar is shut down because there is too much supply given baseload plants that are hard to adjust.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

First the bugs me department: This is my second time typing this post because I messed up posting it the first time!

We love our new house. One of its best features is the two-level deck facing the view. (You should have seen Gillian's little girl fly up those steps!) The deck is "Trex" composite material so it won't rot; and the rails are capped with the same material. Except the caps were put on by a moron who overtorqued and broke the special screws. Twice, because we had the builder send him back out to fix it and he just added more screws and did it again. The most annoying location of this was right outside the window where I commonly sit, with the end of a piece sitting up about two inches from the board it's attached to.

So this week I got busy on trying to fix it. First remove the whole board, which was a bit weird because of the special screws, which have both left-hand and right-hand threads. Then remove the multiple broken screws from the wood below, which was a bit tricky. Finally, buy some new screws and put the plank back on. Finished that yesterday and it made me feel so good!

I've got several more to do but it should be easier because I've learned how.

The kids really loved your house--as did I. Such a beautiful view!

I finally finished a project yesterday that I'd been working on for over a year, off and on. A lot of it had relied on having certain lists of names, which I didn't have access to myself and had to wait for. I was determined to finish it before today; my best friend is coming by today to borrow my van to pick up her old bed frame from her mom's attic, and the project is a gift for her mom.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Last year, when my in-laws went into a nursing home, I forwarded their home phone to my cell phone. After a while the number of calls from friends dropped off to zero but the spammers and scammers kept calling.
    And calling.
    And calling.
    And calling.

This week we reckoned anyone who needs to know is already calling us directly, so today I shut off the call forwarding. And shortly the number will be removed from their account.

Ahhhhhh....silence.

We never forwarded our parents' phone numbers, but did forward their mail. It's been ten years and we still get junk mail for them. Not as simple a way to turn it off. We've even moved twice and they track us down!

We never forwarded our parents' phone numbers, but did forward their mail. It's been ten years and we still get junk mail for them. Not as simple a way to turn it off. We've even moved twice and they track us down!
    The FBI should give up tracking perps and missing persons and just call Publisher's Clearinghouse for their location.

This doesn't make me happy (just the opposite), but to continue this thought - the people who owned this house before we purchased it never filed a change of address with the post office (we suggested it several times). For a couple of months we would package up their non-junk mail and send it to them. Then for about a year we would collect it and give them a call once in a while to come get it (I think this happened twice; they live about a 45 minute drive away). But we bought this house six and half years ago and we'll still getting stuff for them, and not just junk. But I gave up a long time ago, and even stuff that looks important gets tossed in the trash. Six and half years is more than enough time to notify folks of your new address.

Little known fact. You can refuse mail by simply crossing out the delivery address, writing “refused” on the envelope, and putting it back in your mailbox.

I do this for any non-junk mail that isn’t for us. I usually add “Moved” or “No such person”.

(You’re welcome for the ear worm )
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

In the UK, we can bounce any mail with an external sender address simply by crossing out the address and writing something like, "Not known, return to sender". There's also a deeply unofficial forwarding service, whereby crossing out the address, writing in a new one and putting the letter back in a post box will usually result in the letter eventually trickling its way to the new address.
    I've used both of these in the past--for a while we sporadically received mail for the previous owners of our current house, starting about a year after we moved in--I think they probably had a redirection in place that then expired.

I occasionally have a purge on unsolicited mail I receive by writing "Deceased: return to sender" on the envelopes. This freaks out the Boon Companion, who has some sort of superstitious conviction that the Trickster Gods are on the lookout for this sort of thing.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Yes, there's a big patch of Mam in the northeast of England; but it's also pretty standard in the Republic of Ireland, and there are patches of it in south Wales, and along the Moray coast in Scotland. But not to be confused with the homophonous word containing a short front "a" that's required when addressing the Queen--that's Ma'am to rhyme with jam.

We also have a small concentration of "Mom" (usually thought of as an American pronunciation) around Birmingham.

"Mum" is the most widespread in the UK, though.

Grant Hutchison
    Just wondering, but if Ma’am rhymes with jam, and Mam is different, then what does Mam rhyme with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Just wondering, but if Ma’am rhymes with jam, and Mam is different, then what does Mam rhyme with?
    As I said, they're homophones, both pronounced /mæm/ in Received Pronunciation (short near-open front vowel). But when you address your mother as /mæm/, you're not calling her "Ma'am". And when calling anyone else but royalty "Ma'am", it's generally pronounced /mɑːm/ (long open back vowel).
    Scots pronounce both differently, of course.

Grant Hutchison