Page 202 of 206 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,060 of 6159

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Anything that cools air.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Yesterday, I spent an afternoon hanging out with friends. One of them had never been in my favourite downtown shop, and the other and I agreed that we had to take him and both wanted to see his delight at it. So we went there, and a few other places, and sat in my best friend's car having snacks together. It was lovely.

And then my best friend dropped me off at home after and came in to say goodbye to Sandy. She asked Sandy if she'd been squeezed enough when she hugged her, and Sandy said, "No. Because you have bones."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    and none of helped.
    Where is the police when you need them...

Glad to hear things are getting better for you!
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

My favourite aunt and one of her sons are in town for my older sister's wedding tomorrow. Last night, we had dinner--the first time I've been in a restaurant and eaten a meal in well over a year. I also got to sit with my aunt and cousin and talk--this is the side of the family I really love, and it was really wonderful. The restaurant was empty enough so I wasn't afraid of exposure, even for the kids, and it was my favourite restaurant in town. It's a place on the water that also rents kayaks, so it has a very casual feel, and the food is good and reasonably priced. It definitely made me happy.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I completed our - 5 yearly - National Census yesterday. It was done on-line and took less than 15 minutes from signing on to create a password to completion. This is the second time it has been available to complete on-line as well as by using the written 'form'. The previous attempt in 2016 was a bit of a shambles as the system was overwhelmed and experienced minor DDoS attacks that were not properly controlled. A lot of this was apparently due to the failings of the prime IT contractor IBM who had to pay compensation, and then unreservedly apologise, for their part in the fiasco. They were not awarded the contract this time.

This time the period to complete the census has been extended and more effort has been made to allow a smoother interface. It seems to be working well - so far at least.

I completed mine on line again this year. It was really simple and efficient. One of my daughters was employed by Statistics Canada to visit many rural properties to ensure everyone was set up for either the electronic or paper versions of the form.

8. 2021-Jul-31, 03:44 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I completed mine on line again this year. It was really simple and efficient. One of my daughters was employed by Statistics Canada to visit many rural properties to ensure everyone was set up for either the electronic or paper versions of the form.
    Sounds pretty similar to here. Those in remote areas are being provided with paper versions and being visited. All other households receive a letter with an access code, password and instructions how to complete an on-line version or ask for a paper form. The letter has multilingual contact details for help. Phone Calls/Visits will be made to those who haven't completed the census.

This is the form I received -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scanned docs1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	26338 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan2.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	26339

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    The United States one was last year and was online too. I don't recall it being any sort of problem.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Yeah, the online form in the US worked fine for me. The problem came when census workers tried to reach folks who didn’t fill out the online or paper form. Going door to door during a pandemic? No thanks.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I had someone appear on the deck in the back of my house, then head down, look lost, and then head back down. I went out and asked what she wanted. She was a census taker trying to visit our old address on the other end of the lot, facing the other street. No house there any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Yeah, the online form in the US worked fine for me. The problem came when census workers tried to reach folks who didn’t fill out the online or paper form. Going door to door during a pandemic? No thanks.
    Yeah, we'd moved during the census--it told us to fill it out as where we were living on April 1, and since we didn't count ourselves as moved until the middle of April, we used the apartment. Which meant the house was vacant on April 1, and a census taker had to show up to our door. From more than six feet away, I explained the situation to her and let her check the house off her list without having to do anything more, to her great relief. A friend of mine got I believe whooping cough in 2010 while doing that same job.

Meanwhile, my sister's wedding was beautiful. We were late and showed up after the ceremony had started--already running late, and then there was a wreck on the freeway between our house and hers. But she and her spouse had a lovely backyard ceremony, after which I got to sit and chat with my mom, aunt, and cousin. For now (she has to move I believe next month), my sister lives across the street from Zane's old elementary school, so he and his sister went and played in the playground there while I talked to people. Their dad took them--as did one of the guests, who is a daycare worker. She apologized for basically abducting my kids for an hour or two, and I told her that it's fine and I'm a stay-at-home parent. The whole table she was sitting at said, "Oh," pretty much in unison.

Even better, my mom had brought a large envelope of old pictures. She's sorting her boxes of them, and whoever's in it gets the pictures; I don't know how she's deciding who got the group pictures, but I got a bunch of those as well. Including a fantastic picture of me and my older sister that several of the wedding guests have requested a scan of. It looks like a very specific kind of album cover from 1992, when it was taken. Interestingly, I also found pictures that from context must have been taken in junior high that have someone I didn't really meet until high school in them. They're from a competition our school district did; she was on another school's team.

"You can't erase icing."

When the 1970 census comes out, I will be listed twice; in Bozeman, MT; and in Tacoma, WA. I was at college in Bozeman, and correctly followed the instructions to list yourself where you at the time and not your permanent residence. My mother, in Tacoma, did not.

The Vuelta a Espaņa starts tonight. This is the last of the 'big three' bicycle races for this year. It is not as prestigious as the the Tour de France but is still a high class race that passes through lots of great scenery - often of a pretty rugged nature. And happily it is is also broadcast live on local free to air TV.

And is also being broadcast on The Olympic Channel on our cable system! Delayed, and only an hour and a half, but better than nothing.

Meanwhile, that cabinet on the floor that you can see in the DIY thread pictures of my workbench is finally up in it's proper location. I even put handles on the drawer and door!

In the "bugs me" department, the Olympic Channel DID show it live, starting earlier and finishing later than what it said on the channel guide.

I got a bit of a 'bugs me' moment with our coverage as well. I hadn't realised that the first stage wasn't starting until so late in the afternoon - Spanish Time. This meant that the coverage here wasn't due to start around midnight our time so I have, hopefully, recorded it so we can catch-up today.

Yes, it was getting pretty dark there for the awards. A really short course, less than a ten minute ride.

For a about half an hour the power went and there were clear skies and yes I went out for a few minutes. Somebody in neighborhood has a generator and having a party tonight.

I finally managed to set up an appointment for Mouse to get fixed--a low-cost clinic at the end of the month that's even cheaper than the voucher I had earlier. I will have to drive to another town, but still. It's a relatively close "another town," and it'll be done.

"You can't erase icing."

I was browsing YouTube and got a suggestion for a video about the Iowa Traction Railroad. Which is the last little electrified freight railroad in the USA. Just a few miles long.
    Then I looked it up on Wikipedia and got this awesome photo. A UP Big Boy alongside a little IATR electric. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was browsing YouTube and got a suggestion for a video about the Iowa Traction Railroad. Which is the last little electrified freight railroad in the USA. Just a few miles long.
    Then I looked it up on Wikipedia and got this awesome photo. A UP Big Boy alongside a little IATR electric. Awesome!
    Nice photo. I'm sorry the Big Boy hasn't made any trips East of the Mississippi.
    Funny coincidence, but I was just reading some stuff about the Iowa Traction Railroad recently; might have been a recent issue of Model Railroader (such as a 'a railroad you can model' article).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Anyting with ice in it and air conditioning.

I gave platelets yesterday--I thought I'd signed up to give whole blood, but apparently not--and one of the phlebotomists was the dad of one of Zane's old classmates from the school he went to for nearly four years. I'm pretty sure this is a girl whose name I sewed on his sampler. I gave the guy Zane's personal e-mail address, so maybe his daughter can contact him and the kids will be able to interact.

"You can't erase icing."

I wish I could give blood. I don't feel comfortable going out-of-town to do it.

Yeah, that is an advantage to living in a larger town--though two of the women at the donation center Saturday were from Grays Harbor--for those unaware, which I assume is most of you, that is about an hour away from me.

"You can't erase icing."

Spring is near. On our bike ride this morning we spotted our first Kangaroo Paws for the season in a nearby nature reserve. They are our state floral emblem and grow from an underground rhizome.

Name:	Kangapaw.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	26398

Name:	Kanga1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	843.5 KB 
ID:	26399

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Spring is near. On our bike ride this morning we spotted our first Kangaroo Paws for the season in a nearby nature reserve. They are our state floral emblem and grow from an underground rhizome.
    They remind me of the paintbrush, Wyoming’s state flower

just at first glance I mean

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    They remind me of the paintbrush, Wyoming’s state flower

just at first glance I mean
    I can see what you mean.

We've been joking here that today was the day Mouse was getting tutored.

It was lovely; yes, we got up early and drove for forty minutes with a whining cat in the car, but we dropped him off then took the kids to a park. They played for a couple of hours. We picked the cat back up. He's not happy with us, for several reasons (doubtless he is hungry, but he can't eat until tomorrow), but the operation is done.

"You can't erase icing."