Page 164 of 173 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,920 of 5186

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

We finally went out shopping this morning. Local store says first hour is reserved for people over 60, so we took advantage of it.

There were clearly shortages of some things- no beef , strange cuts of chicken and only 2% milk - but overall it wasn’t as bad as I expected. The paper goods aisle was mostly a desert, but we found an unopened case of tissues. We also got a 12 pack of toilet paper. It is more than we need, but the only size they had. In fact, it was the only package I saw. With luck, we won’t have to go back for another two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

All houses that were in the middle of closing are allowed to finish being sold, and I've read the orders for Washington--we should still be fine to move, provided we do it all ourselves. There are a few pieces of furniture I have no idea how we're going to transport, since I'm not sure renting a U-Haul is essential, but we'll figure something out. If worst comes to worst, it wouldn't surprise me if they allowed us to leave them here until this is over; after all, they can't exactly show the apartment right now anyway.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Hope it works out, Gillianren.

After having to pay someone the past few years, I decided our tax situation has simplified enough to use TurboTax again. I spent a couple of hours entering all the income data this afternoon. So far the amount we might owe is about $200 less than what we paid in estimates. Perfect!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I scored a 12-pack of store-brand TP today. I feel guilty for buying it but it made my wife feel better.
    I recently found the opportunity to buy an industrial sized box of TP --96 count. We gave our pre-existing pack to a friend in dire straits.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Jill

Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

The Capt is back.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Like many people I am wandering around the Internet looking for distractions. I drifted over to the BBC Sounds site - and was surprised to find that "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" has just turned the very appropriate age of 42. The original radio episodes plus some extras are available.

I am part way through them and they are certainly bringing back some nice memories. I am not certain whether I saw the TV series before or after I heard the radio episodes. But it is certainly a long time since I have heard them . And it is especially very nice to again hear the voice of Peter Jones as the titular guide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m000g55m

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Like many people I am wandering around the Internet looking for distractions. I drifted over to the BBC Sounds site - and was surprised to find that "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" has just turned the very appropriate age of 42. The original radio episodes plus some extras are available.

I am part way through them and they are certainly bringing back some nice memories. I am not certain whether I saw the TV series before or after I heard the radio episodes. But it is certainly a long time since I have heard them . And it is especially very nice to again hear the voice of Peter Jones as the titular guide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m000g55m
    Agreed, Peter Jones was perfect, the current sequel is poor. I remember the original radio show Which became essential listening. Actually I have an original vinyl LP of the radio broadcast! Nostalgia in a time of isolation.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Graham and I managed a little quiet time together yesterday for our seventeenth anniversary. He went grocery shopping after work and brought home a take-out dinner. The kids mostly left us alone for long enough for us to talk over some logistics, too.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Graham and I managed a little quiet time together yesterday for our seventeenth anniversary. He went grocery shopping after work and brought home a take-out dinner. The kids mostly left us alone for long enough for us to talk over some logistics, too.
    Yay!
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Sometimes the small victories are best.
    I hope the move goes well.

He's got the next three days off (after all, we were supposed to be taking two of them away together), and we're going to be making phone calls, signing paperwork online, and plotting logistics for Monday. I might even get him to pack my car Sunday, or help at least, since I'll be doing all the unpacking myself while he's at work.

In a smaller happiness, I do a daily crossword. Today's was Robert Frost-themed, and I knew all the poems they referenced.

"You can't erase icing."

Happy moving day, Gillian! Whenever it happens! Sorry, I won't be coming down to help...

So, this afternoon I got a call from someone whose name I didn't recognize. Grr, scammers & spammers. I'll answer it, maybe I can have some fun with them.
    It was a nice lady from the blood bank, calling from her own phone because they are working from home where possible. They're having some difficulty, as you can well imagine, and are looking for stories they could use to help inspire people. They found someone who:
    1. Answered a questionnaire as to why they donate with "Transfusions kept my mother alive for 2.5 years, I'm giving it back."
    2. Has been donating for longer than their records go back (50 years, in fact).
    3. Is one of their larger financial contributors as well.
    That, of course, would be me. They want to use me in their PR as an inspirational story. Hell, yes! I did ask her not to use my name. She just about had me in tears, and now I just about am again.

If you are able, donate blood. It's more important now than ever. And if can't, give cash if you are able. It's important.

Nuts, I'm beyond "just about" in tears now.

Give Blood!

I am participating in the production of a bright spot in the midst of this crisis. My church is putting our Sunday worship services on a YouTube platform so we can follow and participate at home. The pastor, the music director-organist and a videographer are in the sanctuary to provide the music, prayers, scripture readings and sermon. The videographer is a 16-year-old IT genius who is providing the technical support along with his dad to bring it together. For Easter, I and my fellow choir members are submitting video recordings of our parts in the Hallelujah Chorus, singing along at home with an online video provided by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for just that purpose. I watched the conductor on my iPad and listened with earbuds, so only my voice got to the iPhone on which I was recording. The music director and the IT guys will do a mixdown of our voices along with the organ. I made mine a video selfie to be displayed with whatever the rest of us can provide. I am eager beyond words to see and hear the result.

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Give Blood!
    Well done Treb.
    Yes, if you can, please donate!

I usually wait until the blood drive comes to my office (about twice a year), but went to the blood bank about 3 weeks ago when Covid-19 first made an appearance in my area. Good thing, as the office closed before the drive event.

I’ve been donating since I was in high school. Originally, to pay back the debt for blood I received shortly after birth. Later, to help repay for transfusions that saved my father’s life several times before they repaired a vein deep in his digestive tract that would periodically spring a serious leak.

The highlight of donating was the time the blood bank collected the blood directly into “pediatric bags”. I’d never seen that before or after.

My next eligibility is the first of May, I'll be there if at all possible. The drive is normally held at the local hospital; it'll be interesting to see if things are different. I was actually somewhat surprised that nothing had changed the last time; they didn't even ask if I'd been to China like the doctor's office had.

I'm not sure I can give blood right now, given the medications I'm on, but I should look into that and then figure out how on Earth giving blood works around here right now. I suspect that's one reason for the problem--how do you give blood while maintaining social distancing?

But we reviewed the closing paperwork yesterday, which has to happen three days in advance. Slightly annoyed that the mortgage broker's software didn't show that we'd gone to the right webpage, as she had to call and ask if we'd seen it, but fascinated by the fact that all that's required now is that the software has to show that someone's clicked on a link. (I read every word, and I suspect that didn't always happen even in the Old Days--I remember sitting cheerfully with my best friend, reading our lease, nearly twenty years ago when we were roommates, and it was clear that the people in the office weren't used to that.) But all the paperwork's in order, so we're on schedule for Monday.

Meanwhile, I have decided to order online from a company that I enjoy browsing in the store of, because I know for a fact that they've shut all their stores--and are paying their employees as if they were working their normal schedules. And this includes part-time employees, like a friend of mine who works for them.

"You can't erase icing."

I'm not sure I can give blood right now, given the medications I'm on, but I should look into that and then figure out how on Earth giving blood works around here right now. I suspect that's one reason for the problem--how do you give blood while maintaining social distancing?

But we reviewed the closing paperwork yesterday, which has to happen three days in advance. Slightly annoyed that the mortgage broker's software didn't show that we'd gone to the right webpage, as she had to call and ask if we'd seen it, but fascinated by the fact that all that's required now is that the software has to show that someone's clicked on a link. (I read every word, and I suspect that didn't always happen even in the Old Days--I remember sitting cheerfully with my best friend, reading our lease, nearly twenty years ago when we were roommates, and it was clear that the people in the office weren't used to that.) But all the paperwork's in order, so we're on schedule for Monday.

Meanwhile, I have decided to order online from a company that I enjoy browsing in the store of, because I know for a fact that they've shut all their stores--and are paying their employees as if they were working their normal schedules. And this includes part-time employees, like a friend of mine who works for them.
    New home getting closer and closer! What a story your family will have to pass down about this momentous change in your lives.

Especially because I wrote Monday but it's actually Friday?

"You can't erase icing."

Especially because I wrote Monday but it's actually Friday?
    I bet Simon is counting down the hours in the last couple of days.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Simon is not the only one. We will actually have a guest in our home today, when the notary public comes over with the closing papers. And Graham has to get a cashier's check. And tomorrow, we get keys; the kids and I are planning what's going to go in the first load to over to the new place. My tradition holds that it will be "Flour Bear," the plastic bear-shaped container that holds my flour, and my penny jar as the first things in the door, so food and money are the first things in the house. This time, I'll also bring in family pictures, to represent love.

"You can't erase icing."

You've just made me smile, Gillian! Congratulations!

Meanwhile, I'm happy that I got the license situation on my car sorted and get to keep my personal plate!

The Register reports that NASA might bring back the Saturn V.... NOT

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/0...ring_saturn_v/

After 2 weeks self isolation, after my beloved 6 year old grand-daughter kindly gave me (and her brother, mother and father) a very nasty cold, it was nice to get out on the bicycle today. I was surprised at how many people were out and about - all practising proper social separation. Admittedly it is a lovely day at around 20 C with blue skies and light winds.

The notary was a very nice man. The paperwork is signed.

"You can't erase icing."

Well done, and congratulations!

Good news!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Tiny Tim: Mammon bless us, every one!

Simon is not the only one. We will actually have a guest in our home today, when the notary public comes over with the closing papers. And Graham has to get a cashier's check. And tomorrow, we get keys; the kids and I are planning what's going to go in the first load to over to the new place. My tradition holds that it will be "Flour Bear," the plastic bear-shaped container that holds my flour, and my penny jar as the first things in the door, so food and money are the first things in the house. This time, I'll also bring in family pictures, to represent love.
    I like those kinds of traditions, even if (or especially if) they are personal ones. The ancient Jewish tradition is you bring in bread and salt. I think the first thing we brought into our current house were our two cats, so we could get them tucked into a room while the moving men did their stuff.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules