Page 165 of 173 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,950 of 5186

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

My cat passed today and the local SPCA is down to 5 cats, aged 8 to 14 years. I have a dog and can't bring an older cat into our home, but I think I'm going in there tomorrow and pay the adoption fee for the next person who adopts a cat.

BTW, the same SPCA is all out of dogs. I figure cats need a good turn.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Simon is not the only one. We will actually have a guest in our home today, when the notary public comes over with the closing papers. And Graham has to get a cashier's check. And tomorrow, we get keys; the kids and I are planning what's going to go in the first load to over to the new place. My tradition holds that it will be "Flour Bear," the plastic bear-shaped container that holds my flour, and my penny jar as the first things in the door, so food and money are the first things in the house. This time, I'll also bring in family pictures, to represent love.
    Congratulation! The first thing I brought into my house was a can of blue paint for my son's bedroom. I've painted that room 3 times over, the exact same blue. However, in the corner there is a tiny drawing of pigs and a farm that my son drew on the wall many years ago. That corner has never been painted.

A new house is a great time to start a tradition. Food, money and love are great ways to start.
    Solfe

The notary was a very nice man. The paperwork is signed.
    Congratulations and good luck with the move.

Congrats Gillian.
    I can't really remember what exactly I took on moving out. Once I was ten we moved a couple of houses up the road from where we lived then and live now. I froend and his father went to Ontario for a year becasue the fathers girlfriend was finishing vet school so rented their house, some of paths behind my place can be used to get there. Then we moved way out in the country. My mothers boyfiend bought a piece of land out there and put a trailer on it and we lived there for a couple years. Then we moved back after my grandmother died. Then there was college and into the dorms and rented a room at a couple of places so not much taken to those places.

Enjoy the new place and hopefully a lot of good memories.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Happy the charger for my laptop arrived today. No more borrowing other computers!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

The previous owners left a bunch of stuff in the house--like a kitchen island, a table and some chairs, and the curtains and lamps. There's even an air conditioning unit in the storage room, though I don't know if it works or not. But we got the first load of stuff over last night, and Graham's making a duplicate of the front door key today. I'll have the back door key and bring over another load of stuff with the kids, and let them run around while he's at work. Then he'll give me a front door key and take the back door key to make a copy tomorrow.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The previous owners left a bunch of stuff in the house--like a kitchen island, a table and some chairs, and the curtains and lamps. There's even an air conditioning unit in the storage room, though I don't know if it works or not. But we got the first load of stuff over last night, and Graham's making a duplicate of the front door key today. I'll have the back door key and bring over another load of stuff with the kids, and let them run around while he's at work. Then he'll give me a front door key and take the back door key to make a copy tomorrow.
    Happy Dance Time!
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

[...] and Graham's making a duplicate of the front door key today.[...]
    Is it typical to get only one key for each entry?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    I wondered that, too. I guess it depends on how many keys the house owner had. The people who bought my mother's house ended up with about eight keys to the door and five keys to the shed.

Grant Hutchison

I commented on a paranormal blog that had stated that 55 feet was the maximum confirmed size for a giant squid that squid biologists have determined that that report was probably in error and the maximum size is probably closer to 42 feet, and they acknowledged the error, said they appreciated debunking and debate, and thanked me for sharing the link. Unexpectedly very reasonable for a Tumblr blog of the “oooh spooky true stories!” species.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Found the last Nintendo Switch console for sale in the upstate this morning and bought it for my wife, using my sister-in-law's credit card. (It was a group effort for my wife's b-day.)

Wife got all emotional in a good way.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I spent yesterday thinking about some of the good stuff:
    My wife and I are well.
    Gillian has a new house.
    I now know how to remove the filter from the range hood, clean it, and turn off the blinking reminder light!
    Our taxes are filed and we are getting money back.
    I got my car license fiasco sorted out.

Once the tax refund comes in, I think I'll donate some money to the local United Way for those in need.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

In this Time of Unpleasantness it's refreshing to get an email from Home Depot. Not just to tell me they are still open to serve my essential needs, but to tell me of the extended benefits they are giving there full/part time employees... 80/40 hours paid sick leave (160/80 for those 65+) usable or payable for 2020, 14 days paid leave if they are ordered to self-quarantine, and bonuses of $100/$50 weekly.

Way to step up, HD.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Yeah, I know that Lowes is giving an extra two weeks' sick leave to those employees who need it, even if it's to deal with childcare issues. Graham wishes they'd close the garden center, though, as he has a harder time thinking of that as anything approaching essential. When my sewing area is set up (oh, it's going to be beautiful), I need to make him some masks following CDC guidelines to wear to work.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My cat passed today and the local SPCA is down to 5 cats, aged 8 to 14 years. I have a dog and can't bring an older cat into our home, but I think I'm going in there tomorrow and pay the adoption fee for the next person who adopts a cat.

BTW, the same SPCA is all out of dogs. I figure cats need a good turn.
    You might be OK, your dog is used to cats.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Yeah, I know that Lowes is giving an extra two weeks' sick leave to those employees who need it, even if it's to deal with childcare issues. Graham wishes they'd close the garden center, though, as he has a harder time thinking of that as anything approaching essential. When my sewing area is set up (oh, it's going to be beautiful), I need to make him some masks following CDC guidelines to wear to work.
    I depends on what the gardening center is selling. Seeds and material to grow food could is essential, the local nursery is now open but now only let 6 people in at a time.

First time in a long time I can o[en up the window to get some fresh air in.

The guy who voiced Peter B. Parker in Into the Spiderverse is recording messages for kids stuck at home. I'm pretty sure it's just the one, mailed out constantly, but Simon got his today and was delighted.

"You can't erase icing."

I don't think there is a typical, at least in the US. Every house or apartment I've had has been different. At least for a house it is usually more than one since the previous owner probably has more than one key and would turn over all of them.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    You might be OK, your dog is used to cats.
    When I stopped in, it was too late. They are now out of cats, too.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    When I stopped in, it was too late. They are now out of cats, too.
    Wow, good for the cats, and I’m sure there will be one for you soon enough.

I think I mentioned before but my cats, going on twenty years, have come from my own yard. Two strays decided it was a good place to have their kittens.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I don't think there is a typical, at least in the US. Every house or apartment I've had has been different. At least for a house it is usually more than one since the previous owner probably has more than one key and would turn over all of them.
    When I've moved, I figured that I'd have to change all the locks anyway, since I didn't know where the keys were.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    When I've moved, I figured that I'd have to change all the locks anyway, since I didn't know where the keys were.
    Of course, it is always recommended to have locks rekeyed, or replace them when buying a house.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    That is what I was thinking of. It got me wondering, where are all the other keys? If previous owners moved away, they’re probably not a real concern, but what about neighbours? We’ve got both front and backdoor keys sitting at both our neighbours houses, and have a spare for them too. All good, we get along great, but will the next person who lives in our house? Then again my coworkers think me paranoid when I think of IT risks too, so maybe it’s overreaction on my part.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Of course, it is always recommended to have locks rekeyed, or replace them when buying a house.
    Interesting. How do you rekey a lock?

Grant Hutchison

That is what I was thinking of. It got me wondering, where are all the other keys? If previous owners moved away, they’re probably not a real concern, but what about neighbours? We’ve got both front and backdoor keys sitting at both our neighbours houses, and have a spare for them too. All good, we get along great, but will the next person who lives in our house? Then again my coworkers think me paranoid when I think of IT risks too, so maybe it’s overreaction on my part.
    I think the same way. I replaced all the locks in our house pretty much while we were moving in. Which was embarrassing, because a neighbour turned up to bid us welcome and to offer the return of the spare key he had held for the previous occupants--and caught me in the act of replacing the front door locks. "It was like you thought you were moving into a bad neighbourhood," he told me a few years later.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I did not know there was such a thing either, but I found this.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/home-...y-a-door-lock/
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I did not know there was such a thing either, but I found this.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/home-...y-a-door-lock/
    Ha. Thanks. It turns out I have rekeyed a lock, but purely recreationally.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

Grant Hutchison
    You get a locksmith. But it's probably cheaper to go to the hardware store and get new locks/doorknobs that are keyed alike.
    A "suburb" of my small town is called Port Hadlock. There used to be a locksmith shop there called "Hadlock Padlock".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I will probably talk to Graham at some point about doing just that, but we've currently got a bigger worry--all the mailboxes for our cul-de-sac are on a rack at the corner. Not too big a deal; it's probably about the same distance to the mailboxes here from our current apartment. Only ours has a key, and that key, we didn't get. So a call to our realtor is on today's schedule!

Anyway, yesterday, Simon and I talked about naming the house, something I've wanted to do since a childhood full of Anne of Green Gables. I'd been saying for some time that Simon would not be allowed to be the one to name the house, as our car's name is Vanny, at a time when his toys included "Lamby," "Doggy," and so forth. Sure enough, Simon suggested we follow this naming pattern and call it "Housey." This suggestion was duly rejected, and we now live at Cherry Tree Corner.

"You can't erase icing."