Page 177 of 180 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,310 of 5387

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I think I have told this tory before but when I was a kid my grandparent, me and my sister went to Newfoundland. My sister slept thru the voyage over me and my grandfather spent most the trip over he side of the ferry. Going back we were on another ferry that was a lot better we didn't suffer a much but the boat was balanced to prevent it moving as much. The problem with Whale watching is that they have a top deck where the movement is more pronounced and where do I go.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Part of this makes me happy and part makes me mad, so ...

Tuesday as Laura looked to be a possible threat to Houston we were following the storm forecast closely. Just before noon the authorities announced a mandatory evacuation for Galveston, then all of the Coastal Zip Zone (that's how the county officials prioritize evacuations, sort of "Wait your turn."). A bit later came a voluntary evacuation for the coastal part of our Zip Zone. I told my wife that didn't include us but she and our daughter felt we should plan on leaving.

So I went online to find us an hotel room. Got one - pet friendly - in Schertz, just north of San Antonio. I booked the room, check in would be at 3pm Wednesday so we'd leave about noon. Few hours later things were looking better so we decided to stay. But the room was non-refundable (they need 24 hours notice).

About 2:30 Wednesday I got a call from the hotel. The corporate website I had used was not properly updated. The hotel had no vacancies. They were sorry but would at least refund my money.

So, happy I got the refund, mad they told me 30 minutes before check in that we didn't have a room waiting, happy we didn't need it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

New phone smell.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I was actually productive this week. I finished all of Simon's school enrollment, including signing him up for a school Chromebook and reserving his bus seat (you know, for when we're back to in-person schooling). I finished the Doctor Who-themed sampler I'd been making for a friend and mailed it out; I have now set myself a rule that I will not make any more samplers where I actively dislike the theme I'm making them for. And I mailed a package to my best friend full of stuff that's been sitting around the house for weeks at least.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Splitting the wood is going fairly smoothly, not many twisted, warped or but knotty pieces,. The wood splitter sometimes doesn't want to work just time to pile some wood. Yesterday picked up some headphones and now downloading a few podcast, listening to stuff makes it go a little faster.

I am wearing matching socks. Unlike the last couple of days....
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I voted yesterday in the advanced polls for the provincial elections and the late summer-early fall mega project is almost done, just a couple more days.

I never thought that I would be happy for a Dentist to offer me the option of a Root Canal treatment but today I was. A big lump of tooth had fallen off one of my lower front teeth and I thought that it was one that had previously had a Root Canal done and was a sign that the tooth had basically split in half and would need to be extracted. I would have then had to consider an implant as it was one of "my two front teeth".

Luckily, all things considered, it was actually still a 'live' tooth and the dentist is confident that it can be saved. The nerve had been left exposed when the piece had fallen out and he thought that it would be safer to do a Root Canal immediately.

One thing that I personally believe is that while the 'new' dental painkillers certainly take effect more quickly and fade away more rapidly than the "old' style ones they aren't quite as effective at stopping you feeling pain during the more intrusive dental work.

This may end up bugging me, but I'll go with "happy" for the time being.
    Over the last week or two, our refrigerator has been freezing items in the main compartment.
    I checked the receipt and manual, and found that the warranty expires in two days.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I was sitting in my home office yesterday—teleworking my backside off—when I heard a tappity-tap on the window. I looked over to see our Steller's Jay back for his annual visit and apparently, a bit of window peeping. He was really giving me the look. He spooked when I got up but I took the hint and quickly put some peanuts out for him on the deck railing, for which he came back this morning. I put some more out but he's off doing Steller things, I suppose.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I was going to correct "Steller" to "Stellar", but you are in fact correct! Oops!

A good few years ago, my wife thought the squirrels on the deck were cute and started putting out peanuts for them. The Steller's Jays quickly caught on to that and WAY outdid the squirrels for taking nuts. There were more of them, and they'd take two peanuts at a time, half-swallowing one and holding the other in the beak. Like yours, they'd rap on the glass to get our attention to put more out.

That was at our old house in Everett, WA. Here in Port Townsend they seem to be much more shy and rarely visited the feeders when we were doing that.

Steller was a busy fellow. He also has an eider, a sea lion, an eagle, and a rather wonderful (but extinct) sea cow named after him.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was going to correct "Steller" to "Stellar", but you are in fact correct! Oops!
    On this board, stellar is an acceptable spelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    On this board, stellar is an acceptable spelling.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7a1TxVV4Bg

After moaning on the "trivial stuff that bugs you" thread about riding a bicycle in the rain, today was the perfect antidote. The skies were blue with a few scattered puffy white clouds, the winds light and the temperature a very pleasant 17 C. It is a perfect Spring day. We rode for around 18 km and I only used the electric motor for about 300 metres of the ride. Altogether a balm to the soul.

I have a second cousin who i running the provincial election, and it look like he is going to get the seat because they just invited us to the celebration party or it till can be just a results party. I think I will go this could be a once in a lifetime thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I have a second cousin who i running the provincial election, and it look like he is going to get the seat because they just invited us to the celebration party or it till can be just a results party. I think I will go this could be a once in a lifetime thing.
    He didn't get it but came in second, met some family and high school friend was there. Another person I went to high school her riding in a landslide.

And there was cake.

My oldest niece just left for university with three of her friends, all the parents, two pickups, a suv and car full of all their stuff to Nova Scotia.

I made soup yesterday with the last of last Thanksgiving's frozen turkey stock. It was really good and we've got a couple of meals worth left!

We slept last night with our window open. I've had to close it again--"fair" air quality is still not good air quality--but it was lovely.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Similar here, it’s nice to get some outside air in and it smelled fine. It was cool enough to open up just about the time it was getting dark last night.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We made it all the way to "good" for most of yesterday. The kids and I took a walk around the neighbourhood, talking to a couple of people he passed while we were at it. It rained part of the time we were out, but that was fine. It's cool and cloudy today, but those clouds are water vapor, not smoke.

"You can't erase icing."

I have been booked in for my Carpal Tunnel Surgery on 26 October. My fingers are getting more annoying, even though the night pains have stopped, so I will be glad to have it done. Day surgery with a local anaesthetic.

Hope it works out for you! I've had CTS for decades, but never reached the point of needing surgery. Now I haven't even worn a splint in years. One change I made was to mouse with the left hand, which had immediate benefits for the right.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I have been booked in for my Carpal Tunnel Surgery on 26 October. My fingers are getting more annoying, even though the night pains have stopped, so I will be glad to have it done. Day surgery with a local anaesthetic.
    Yes ozduck, good luck and quick healing.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Best of luck, and swift recovery. I've had both hands done, it's not that bad as surgeries go.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Screening colonoscopy.
    Precancerous polyp found.
    Polyp removed.

Screening colonoscopy.
    Polyp removed.
    That's actually a good thing. I have had several removed and I have three relatives who have died from colon cancer (mother, grandmother, great aunt), so better to get them out now.

Enjoy your post colonoscopy nap and a hearty dinner.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Screening colonoscopy.
    Polyp removed.
    I bet the removal was the happy part... but you never know.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright