Page 160 of 167 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,800 of 4987

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    ... These migrants often come from countries where swimming is either not part of their culture or dangerous...
    I hear that there are dangerous things lurking in many natural waters in/around Australia.

Seriously, having these kids learn to swim is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I hear that there are dangerous things lurking in many natural waters in/around Australia.

Seriously, having these kids learn to swim is a great idea.
    At least we don't have bears that wander out of the woods onto our front lawns.

No, your bears just drop out of trees on people's heads.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I had a neighbor who woke up and found one sleeping in the middle of his driveway. I just loved to hear the call to work,"Sir I might be a little late my driveway is blocked by a bear."
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I just loved to hear the call to work,"Sir I might be a little late my driveway is blocked by a bear."
    Better that, than calling in "stomped by a moose."
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Better that, than calling in "stomped by a moose."
    Had a supervisor who came to work the next day after hitting a moose with his car, his arm was in a sling and a bandage over his eye.

My wife and I are part of the Grocery Tourism movement. We usually shop at boring old Walmart but today we went to a Lowe's grocery, sort of a higher end place, and enjoyed walking around the store looking at the strange produce. We bought some unusual breads and pastries and called it a day. Didn't even need a passport!
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

And in a nice piece of synchronicity,today there was an on-line news article on our national broadcasters site discussing the need for swimming lessons for migrants.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-...ssons/11880488

I e-mailed Simon's teacher about some problems he'd been having with classmates that may have been causing his behavioural issues in school lately, and she said she herself had noticed it and was keeping an eye on the situation, including talks about how it was not acceptable to tease people because their clothing didn't match what you thought they should wear. And yesterday, Simon had a good day!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I e-mailed Simon's teacher about some problems he'd been having with classmates that may have been causing his behavioural issues in school lately, and she said she herself had noticed it and was keeping an eye on the situation, including talks about how it was not acceptable to tease people because their clothing didn't match what you thought they should wear. And yesterday, Simon had a good day!
    Victory!

Wife, friend, and I won a pub trivia game last night, got $30 couple for dining at the pub next time we play trivia. There is a really trivial thing that made me happy. Better yet, my wife was happy, and I live another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Wife, friend, and I won a pub trivia game last night, got $30 couple for dining at the pub next time we play trivia.

...I've never been to those kind of parties before.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    ...I've never been to those kind of parties before.
    Honestly, neither have I, so I guess that was a coupon. I liked it better the first way of course.

Well living another day is always good.

Honestly, neither have I, so I guess that was a coupon. I liked it better the first way of course.
    Either way, what a bargain!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Getting Lego is nice. Getting Lego for free is nicer. Getting a nice box full of Lego (not huge, but about 2 large and 5 medium sets worth) is nicerer. And if that Lego turns out to be "golden age" (1985-1995) and my two favourite themes from those days (castle and technic), that is supernice! Most instructions are missing, but trying to find out which sets it were is a fun game in itself. And you can find all instructions online.

...it's for the kids, of course. For the kids.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Simon's school is doing a thing tomorrow where you dress up as your favourite book character. Simon will be going as a character from a book I shared with him as a bonding experience. Yes, this means I have to make him a vampire rabbit costume today, but still.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Simon's school is doing a thing tomorrow where you dress up as your favourite book character. Simon will be going as a character from a book I shared with him as a bonding experience. Yes, this means I have to make him a vampire rabbit costume today, but still.
    Bunnicula! YES

Bunnicula! YES
    Those were great books.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

He's got black pants, a white shirt, a headband with rabbit ears sewn on it, and the cheapest, fastest cape I've ever made, and he's ridiculously happy.

"You can't erase icing."

For years my wife has complained that she would like to go on my morning bicycle rides with me but that I ride too fast. As I actually ride at about the same speed as an elderly French nun who is slowly bringing the morning shopping back over the village cobblestones the problem has remained unresolved. Anyway, last week we bit the bullet and bought her an Electric Bike. It is only a low-ish powered one but allows her to happily peddle along at a comfortable speed and go up slopes with little effort. It even has a nice little basket on the front and mudguards. This is hers except her bike seat is black. https://www.xdsbicycles.com.au/colle...nic-retro-mint

What is interesting is that after a week of our joint rides I am finding that I am actually riding better myself. I guess that, in a small way at least, it is like being "paced" as you know you can't really slow down or you will be passed. In fact, her e-bike has impressed me so much that I have now got one on order. Naturally, being a man, it is not a similar style bike and has got a bigger battery and more powerful motor than hers I will still probably mainly use my old bike when out with her and use the new bike for longer, and hillier, trips. These days my knees have gone on strike so I can't "get out of the saddle" on hills etc so I have been restricted in my peregrinations.

Yesterday, we had Irene's birthday party. My firstborn was there with her current boyfriend and his nephew--he seemed like a nice kid, and I liked the boyfriend, too. So that was another "all three of my children" together. And one of Simon's godparents and I told my firstborn lots of stories from our wild and disreputable youth, like the time their father wouldn't let me spend time with them anymore because he asked if our dinner party would have "grown-ups," and his child was the only one under eighteen, so we said yes, and he meant parents. Crazy stuff like that.

"You can't erase icing."

Today my niece got her first goal at a hockey tournament, she normally plays defense so doesn't get a chance to get a goal that often.

Another night in the bush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06Camp.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	24878  
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Oh dear! You might be eaten by a kiwi!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Another night in the bush.
    Probably much safer than doing the same thing on the opposite side of the Tasman.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Oh dear! You might be eaten by a kiwi!
    Nah, I was in a hammock, and they're flightless.

I hope there was a good track into that clearing - the surrounding forest look pretty dense.

I hope there was a good track into that clearing - the surrounding forest look pretty dense.
    I love a bit of bush bashing (grew up following my deerstalker Father around), but this was actually a pretty tame tramp. Half on a well-used track, half up a well known river at summer time low flow.

I was just 10 metres in from the bush edge to the right of this pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06Site.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	24879  

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I love a bit of bush bashing (grew up following my deerstalker Father around), but this was actually a pretty tame tramp. Half on a well-used track, half up a well known river at summer time low flow.

I was just 10 metres in from the bush edge to the right of this pic.
    Looks like a lovely spot - and obviously you have the experience to enjoy your time in the bush.