Page 148 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,440 of 4510

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The Brooks Falls Bear Cam is back!

Stuff that bugs me: I didn't think to look a few weeks ago.
    The videos also play in Edge. This is addictive ... and I have shared the link with my siblings.

Have you seen the mother and her three (3!) cubs?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I took a class out to do Meals on Wheels today. They were fighting to be the person to ring the bell.

I joined a second class on a trip to Canalside. They have a beach like area which is awesome. Caught a trip with a third class to see the USS Croaker, the USS Sullivan and the USS Little Rock.

I'm tired but it was a great day.
    Solfe

USS The Sullivans, maybe?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Not trivial ... Alan Turing will be the new face on the British 50.

The note's design reflects Turing's work. It features a ticker tape of binary code that spells out his birthday (June 23, 1912), and depicts the "British Bombe" machine that helped break the Enigma code.

It also includes a quote Turing gave to The Times newspaper in 1949: "This is only a foretaste of what is to come, and only the shadow of what is going to be."
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/15/busin...ote/index.html
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Not trivial ... Alan Turing will be the new face on the British 50.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/15/busin...ote/index.html
    Hoorah! I may frame one, maybe, you don't see many, and you have trouble spending £50 notes in most pubs.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Hannelore has returned to Questionable Content! I love Hanners.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My wife's family reunion was today. I was very glad we went, and am also happy it's over! All manner of attendees. Young people, middle-aged people, old people, and very old people. And babies. Baby human, baby dog, baby cat! Kitty!!!
    We could only get last night's USB-less hotel for the one night, so I stopped at another one this morning, which was previously full, and they had a room! Yay! With USB, even. The laptop battery died and the desk clerk gave me one! Nice!

If asked, I could probably have identified about 10-20% of the people there. My guess is that's more than could have identified me.

I'm happy that I heard almost nothing about the Moon landing hoax during the Apollo anniversary, and what I did hear treated the hoax as a joke.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I'm happy that I heard almost nothing about the Moon landing hoax during the Apollo anniversary, and what I did hear treated the hoax as a joke.
    Yes, indeed.

Yes, indeed.
    Third
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Agreed, for all the awful and annoying parts of the contemporary Internet, this may be one issue where they’ve generally come around the bend.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Talking Heads
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yeah, yeah, right, right. Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Agreed, for all the awful and annoying parts of the contemporary Internet, this may be one issue where they’ve generally come around the bend.
    They are still out there, they have been folded into the flat Earth movement.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Most firetrucks are cool and make me smile.

But the air show today bumped my happy neurons a new level...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6118C112-E374-4899-8BF0-4D8805F8F604.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	634.2 KB 
ID:	24442

26,000 hp; 0 to 60 mph in 1.3 sec. Its afternoon “race” with the plane reached > 330 mph. What a sight. Be sure to call this guy if your house is on fire. *wink*

The jets were a great treat as well, of course. The UK’s Vampire and the F86 Sabre were wonderful old-time performers.
    iPhone
    Last edited by George; 2019-Jul-28 at 02:22 AM.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

The Vampire’s track record is significant with many firsts. Great use of balsa wood!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2097AD7F-758D-40DC-8A13-5E4B4F16E5E8.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	24443
    Last edited by George; 2019-Jul-28 at 03:31 AM.

I have just lodged my wives and mine Tax return - our Financial Year is 1 July to 30 June. As we no longer have any 'difficult' tax matters that require the use of an accountant it is very easy to prepare and lodge it online for free. It is really a very simple process.

There is an universal Australian 'MyGov' portal that lets you access various government branches, like Taxation or the National Health system etc, on-line. When you sign on to prepare your tax return most of the information required like personal income, bank interest, share dividends, payments for extra private health coverage etc are already pre-filled - based on your Tax File Number - which you can give to the various organisations you deal with. You don't have to give out this number, but if you don't they must withhold an amount equal to the highest personal tax rate from any income. You can then claim this back at Tax Return time.

You pretty much just have to quickly that check the amounts shown are correct, possibly add a few other items in, and then electronically lodge the return. It really only takes about 20 minute or so to prepare and lodge a basic return. If you are due a refund the money is automatically deposited to your account within a few days. If you owe them money a payment slip is automatically generated. It is far far easier than the old paper return days and really takes the stress out of preparing a Tax Return..

I think I hate you for that....

Meanwhile, in the separated by a common language department, here in the USofA we don't "lodge" our returns, we "file" them. "Submit" would make more sense.

I think I hate you for that....

Meanwhile, in the separated by a common language department, here in the USofA we don't "lodge" our returns, we "file" them. "Submit" would make more sense.
    It has always been 'lodge' here - well for the last nearly 50 years that I have been lodging them. It was the same in Customs - you lodged Import/Export Entries etc. I had a quick look and in the UK, NZ & India they all talk about how to 'File' a tax return. So it is not a 'Commonwealth' usage. I was curious and checked and the word 'lodge' is actually in the Income Tax Assessment Act. I guess it must be another Australian peculiarity.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    It has always been 'lodge' here - well for the last nearly 50 years that I have been lodging them. It was the same in Customs - you lodged Import/Export Entries etc. I had a quick look and in the UK, NZ & India they all talk about how to 'File' a tax return. So it is not a 'Commonwealth' usage. I was curious and checked and the word 'lodge' is actually in the Income Tax Assessment Act. I guess it must be another Australian peculiarity.
    "File" is a new usage in the UK, though I couldn't say how new. In the days of paper forms it was always "submit". We "lodge" an appeal, or a complaint.
    To me, "file" always sounds like putting something away neatly and forgetting it, rather than passing it on for further action.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    "File" is a new usage in the UK, though I couldn't say how new. In the days of paper forms it was always "submit". We "lodge" an appeal, or a complaint.
    To me, "file" always sounds like putting something away neatly and forgetting it, rather than passing it on for further action.

Grant Hutchison
    We typically ‘file an appeal’ and ‘lodge a complaint.’ Reports are interchangeably submitted or filed...which then may be acted upon or not before winding up in a file, to be forgotten. Online submissions are...well...’submitted’ for the most part, except for taxes which sometimes call for an enthusiastic ‘E-file Now!’ button.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I have just lodged my wives and mine Tax return ...
    Okay, you either accidentally used the plural when you meant the singular possessive or Australia has some very liberal marriage laws.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

I was just wondering why there's a special Wives and Mine Tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Okay, you either accidentally used the plural when you meant the singular possessive or Australia has some very liberal marriage laws.
    Never attribute my spelling mistakes to any other possibility when the most obvious answer is stupidity.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2019-Jul-29 at 03:20 AM.

Never attribute my spelling mistakes to any other possibility when the most obvious answer is stupidity.
    Rats. And I was about to Google "Australian immigration laws."
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

You guys do know what the penalty for bigamy is, right?

Two mothers-in-law!

There's WIFI on this ferry, the "Blue Puttees", in the harbour in North Sydney, Nova Scotia. I'm on my way to Newfoundland. I left BC on the 12th on my motorcycle and have travelled 8600 km. I'm retracing parts of a motorbike trip I did 37 years ago, taking a few side trips, and keeping to secondary roads where possible.

I rode through a really ugly thunderstorm in Manitoba and later learned that the same system spawned at least one tornado behind me. Ignorance was bliss.

I hope to visit L'anse aux Meadows on the Northern Peninsula, site of an early Viking settlement. And revisit Cape Spear, the easternmost point in North America.

Not many opportunities to check in the way I'm travelling. Cheers.

I had a chance to do some cooking math today with a student that is rather anxious. Anxious as in if you upset him, he'll you break you in two. (Lesson learned over a period of 9 weeks last summer, as my ribs healed.)

So here is the math question: We have 10 pancakes and 9 people to feed. How do you divide them equally?

The bad answer: Divide all 10 pancakes into 9 pieces and distribute.
    The good answer: Give each person one pancake and then divide the last one by 9.

Lesson Bonus Round: Before the students arrived, I made 10 pancakes, put them in a gallon plastic bag and put them in my hoodie pocket. Then I went through the motion of making 10 more pancakes to be divided into 9 sections each. As I was cutting, I pretended to get frustrated. One of the classroom aides was busy whispering the "good answer" into the ear of the anxious student, who thought the whole thing was insane. I resorted to cutting them up with scissors, which was ridiculous and got a lot of laughs. No one wanted to eat those.

Round two. I pulled 10 pancakes out of my pocket, which sent the kids into hysterics. This time I cut one pancake 9 ways and left the other 9 intact. The aid whispered to the anxious guy that perhaps he should suggest that we cook just 9 pancakes, for sanitary reasons plus we had already eaten lunch and it was almost time to go home.

Multi-prong lessons are fun. I nailed vocational skills, math, time-telling, scheduling, health, cooking and expectation management in 45 minutes.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post

So here is the math question: We have 10 pancakes and 9 people to feed. How do you divide them equally?

The bad answer: Divide all 10 pancakes into 9 pieces and distribute.
    The good answer: Give each person one pancake and then divide the last one by 9.
    Can't you just put them all in a blender and then distribute them in equally filled cups?
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    There's WIFI on this ferry, the "Blue Puttees", in the harbour in North Sydney, Nova Scotia. I'm on my way to Newfoundland. I left BC on the 12th on my motorcycle and have travelled 8600 km. I'm retracing parts of a motorbike trip I did 37 years ago, taking a few side trips, and keeping to secondary roads where possible.

I rode through a really ugly thunderstorm in Manitoba and later learned that the same system spawned at least one tornado behind me. Ignorance was bliss.

I hope to visit L'anse aux Meadows on the Northern Peninsula, site of an early Viking settlement. And revisit Cape Spear, the easternmost point in North America.

Not many opportunities to check in the way I'm travelling. Cheers.
    Glade to hear you are in the Maritimes and Atlantic Canada.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    .. And revisit Cape Spear, the easternmost point in North America. ...
    I envy your journey and am glad the tornado skipped you.

However ... technically ... the Alaskan Aleutian Islands extend past 180, so they are further east than Cape Spear.

I don't think you can get there by motorcycle, though. Except at really, really low tide.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who