Page 191 of 197 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,730 of 5881

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

When those little 9-LED flashlights came out I loved them. And wound up with quite a few. But they die. So I rounded up six dead ones and put new batteries in. I was pleasantly surprised that I actually got four to work!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Are these the ones using AAA batteries? Yeah, the two issues with them is they drive LEDs hard, so they get hot and don’t last that long, and they eat batteries fast.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Are these the ones using AAA batteries? Yeah, the two issues with them is they drive LEDs hard, so they get hot and don’t last that long, and they eat batteries fast.
    I did some not very scientific test back then because we use leds, and concluded all the early leds died from water creeping up their unsealed legs by capillary action. Today they are much better in that respect but not dimmable by simple resistors because they all have regulators incorporated. Old sealed indicator types are still running 20 years on. I don’t know if the modern phosphors will age well but probably they are good for many years. Getting hot certainly kills them too but flashed, or pwm ed they can take a huge current, relatively speaking.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Haven't had the wood fire going for a couple of days and I think I will get a few things together and do some work outdoors.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I'm thinking of trying summer uniform (shorts, t-shirt, no socks) soon!

We were having a chat with these two people today on our morning ride. It is a new initiative intended to get people 'out and about'. They asked us if we knew anyone who couldn't ride anymore and who would enjoy a free 'chauffeured' ride. There are two spots down on the local river where they are currently based. The bike does have an electric motor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20210326091606 (2).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	25989

Name:	IMG20210326091618 (2).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1,010.0 KB 
ID:	25990

For those of an botanical bent, the trees lining this bit of riverside path are Sheoaks - part of the Casuarina family.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Mar-26 at 03:16 AM.

Since being diagnosed with T2 diabetes in November, I've been watching what I eat; and faithfully weighing myself and recording the result each morning. My seven-day average weight is now "officially" 25 pounds less than where I started. Feeling better, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Since being diagnosed with T2 diabetes in November, I've been watching what I eat; and faithfully weighing myself and recording the result each morning. My seven-day average weight is now "officially" 25 pounds less than where I started. Feeling better, too.
    Well done!

It's taken me since July to lose almost exactly the same amount of weight, if I'm doing the conversion correctly. I'm doing it through vigorous, frequent, and long bicycle rides. But I eat and drink whatever I want.

I'm assuming that if I keep this up, eventually I'm going to have to eat more, or bicycle less
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

Here's a toast to your success and good health!

Well done and keep going. I know from harsh experience how easy it is to backslide.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Well done and keep going. I know from harsh experience how easy it is to backslide.
    Been there, done that!

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Well done , those first 25 pounds are the critical ones. I found I could switch to a Mediterranean diet but my weight creeps back up so I have no carb, no alcohol months. Otherwise I get bored with the low carb diet, I did not think I would, but bread is tempting and tastier than psillium husk fibre. It is diet, not exercise, that counts in T2. But you feel more like exercise when those excess pounds are off.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I too am T2D, and I watch what I eat.

I should probably do more than watch, though...
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Thanks for the support, everyone!

On a whim, I decided to fry an egg for breakfast. And for once, DIDN'T BREAK THE YOLK!

On a whim, I decided to fry an egg for breakfast. And for once, DIDN'T BREAK THE YOLK!
    Teach me your ways!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

You're telling a yolk aren't you, stop yoking around.

Our dinner time conversations are hysterical.

Wife: I have a couple of actor friends. I know this guy who's been a dozen movies... B-movies, but still in movies.
    Kids: Bee Movie! Who was he in Bee Movie? We've seen that 1000 times!
    Wife: Ah... no. Not Bee Movie. Just "B". B movies.
    Kids (disappointed): That's lame.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    My wife never changed her name. The first two decades of dealing with HM Revenue & Customs were the worst. Now it has settled down to a dull roar.

Grant Hutchison
    Well, the important tidbit is she didn't tell her husband that she didn't change her name. So he was filing taxes with a name that didn't match the social security number. I'm trying to figure out how that plays out with insurance. You know, the basics like car insurance, health insurance, etc. Important things. Ironically, he got two mortgages and a couple cars and it never came up. Because he didn't put her name on those things. That probably helped her in the court filing for financial abuse. Then there was the matter of the names on the birth certificates. She didn't list anyone as the father. Round one in divorce court was him attesting to the fact that those were, in fact, his children. It was several days into the court process before anyone figured that out.

At one point, their lawyers asked the judge if there could no more surprises from the litigants. That's never a good thing. It was all so Jerry Springer.

Like I said before, the divorce was well planned.

I look at this from the perspective of a person with a prenuptial agreement about our home. My wife's name isn't on it, only mine. She had disastrous credit when we got married. But the agreement is my wife gets it if we get divorced. If she isn't around to collect, it goes to her mom and dad. It's a house I bought from my wife's great grandmother. It has a lot of family sementality. I also have a handshake deal to only sell to family, or at least check if anyone wants it. "Right of first something or other."
    Solfe

Refusal?

Yesterday evening, Zane and I walked over to the lake. We had a nice, pleasant talk about why animals would choose to live there, in part because we saw a lot of birds. Several different species, in fact. There was a red-winged blackbird in the tree we were sitting under, and I got several very clear pictures.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Refusal?
    Maybe. I don't really care, they really like this house and there would be no lack of buyers. And we are starting to think of selling. We might head down to Florida. Winters in Buffalo suck. They are so long.

Another amusing fact, we like Florida in August and Buffalo in December.
    Solfe

That somebody is finally taking a serious look at Taylor Swifts music. 2103.16737.pdf (arxiv.org)

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    ... It has a lot of family sementality. ...
    I really hope that's a misspelling of sentimentality.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Speaking of sentimentality, I think I posted my grandmother's clock earlier in this thread. It developed a problem and I sent it off to be fixed. I'm getting it back on Monday! It'll cost $500, which is more than it is likely worth, but it's worth it to me!

Speaking of sentimentality, I think I posted my grandmother's clock earlier in this thread. It developed a problem and I sent it off to be fixed. I'm getting it back on Monday! It'll cost $500, which is more than it is likely worth, but it's worth it to me!
    I have a mantle clock my father bought when he served in “occupied Germany”. It needed repair about 15 years ago, and also probably cost more than it was worth...to anyone else.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I have a mantle clock my father bought when he served in “occupied Germany”. It needed repair about 15 years ago, and also probably cost more than it was worth...to anyone else.
    You totally get it. I can't wait to here it go "Bing-Bong" again

Zane's sampler came back from the framers' yesterday. Speaking of expensive things--I'd forgotten how much it can cost. But the people at the framing shop had been very helpful in picking out a frame and matting that looked good with it, and he's so excited to have it up on his wall.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I mentioned my niece's 40th in the "bugs you" thread. Her husband put on a party for it and had relatives join via Zoom. It was great. He put the correct number of candles on the cake and joked about needing a permit from the fire department.

My faire boss and I have birthdays one day apart and so, in normal years, have a joint birthday party. We do not put an accurate number of candles on our cake!

"You can't erase icing."

While our son was learning about computers in school, I'd get those digital candles and put his age in binary on the cake. You know: 01101 for thirteen, 01110 for fourteen, 010000 for sixteen and so on.

It was cute. Must have depleted the store's supply of zeroes and ones, however. Local ten-year-olds were out of luck with regard to digital candles.

Name:	New-Style-Digital-Birthday-Cake-Decoraton-Candle.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	26029
    Last edited by DonM435; 2021-Apr-04 at 03:45 PM.