Page 201 of 205 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,030 of 6131

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

As the thread starter, I most humbly thank you! I also see that the "bugs me" thread is on page 499!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    And then there's the "Well, I got a deal on it" line, used by men who want to imply that the object or service in question isn't remotely important enough for them to have ever considered paying full price, and also that they have preternatural bargaining skills.
    If itís not important enough for me to pay full price, then I have to question its importance at allÖbut I do like a good deal when I can find it. Itís often the tipping point when when Iíve been hemming and hawing over a potential purchase. Such was the case for a tool purchase. Iíd been considering the addition of a #6 fore plane to my till. The object of my desire was a premium model at a premium price offered by our friends in Canada. Iím a fan of their wares. But a US vendor offered their more affordable model at an even more affordable (!) price, so I snapped it up. It has turned out to be a favorite go-to plane.

In the end, though, I tend to view either case as a purchase at a fair price. Whether my need/want justifies (in my mind) buying at the higher price or the sellerís need to spur sales results in a lower price, itís a price we both agree upon. Otherwise, no sale. Itís sometimes said that the fairest price is the one both the seller and buyer grumble about.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    In my circle, there's a lot of "I was lucky" when things are purchased cheap. This month is the Barnes & Noble 50% off sale on the Criterion Collection, and a lot of my film friends (mostly male) will definitely be displaying the vast numbers of movies they bought half off. Heck, one of my male friends has an entire column about stuff he buys in thrift stores!
    Not having a lot makes on the cheap purchases great purchases. Personally, I'm into books, but movies work, too. Walmart has a bunch of discs for $5. I've seen a lot of great movies that way.

One of my favorite on the cheap purchases was The Last Unicorn. Film and book.
    Solfe

Well the Tour has made me a bit happier tonight. The stage winner was Ben O'Connor, a West Australian. He is the first person from this state to win a stage in the Tour de France.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Not having a lot makes on the cheap purchases great purchases. Personally, I'm into books, but movies work, too. Walmart has a bunch of discs for $5. I've seen a lot of great movies that way.
    Oh, a lot of my collection has been built from bargain bins as well. In fact several of my Criterions--which are really quality editions, with good special features, essays by people who know the movie, and so forth--came second-hand and fairly cheap.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I'm generally happy with the things I own and don't need a lot to meet my needs or desires, to the point where being in possession of a lot of stuff can make me feel claustrophobic, or on edge. So new things may actually have net negative value to me. That means that if there is something I "sorta" desire, and I happen to see it at a good price, it may trigger a purchase. But even when places are almost giving away their merchandise, I cringe at the thought of hauling it home and finding a place for it. On the other hand, when I truly need something, I've mostly stopped looking hard for the best price. If it's available in town, I just buy it. Did I say that I also hate shopping?

Regarding buying stuff on sale: There are certain things that are going to be purchased periodically regardless. e.g. espresso beans for my wife's lattes. Why would I NOT keep an eye out and buy them when they are $5.99 (with store loyalty card) instead of $10.99? Oh, and the store loyalty card got me eighty cents per US gallon off last time I filled the wife's car.
    I admit it bugs her a bit when I run the tank down towards "E" before filling it so as to take maximum advantage of the discount.

Not having a lot makes on the cheap purchases great purchases. Personally, I'm into books, but movies work, too.
    My Amazon Prime comes with access to thousands of free e-books I can "buy". Most of course, are worth the price of admission, but some of them are entertaining.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I have to admit that first sentence really stumped me. I finally got it though.

Not having a lot makes on-the-cheap purchases great purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

I found so many interesting books for 1 dollar on the “dollar carts” at the Strand Bookstore when I was in grad school at NYU— the trouble is that I don’t have enough space on my bookshelves for them all, so a lot of them are still in boxes!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Not having a lot makes on-the-cheap purchases great purchases.
    Reports of the death of the hyphen have been exaggerated.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

That is an odd one (both movie and book), but I liked it because of that. Incidentally, the authorís manager essentially robbed him of his rights in his property, including The Last Unicorn. Apparently, Beagle has had financial problems because of this. Quite recently Beagle won a lawsuit against the manager. Among other things, he now has rights to write sequels if he wants. If youíre curious, hereís the story:

https://www.tor.com/2021/03/25/peter...t-resolved-ip/

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Wow. I had no idea that had happened to him. I think (not sure at all) that the first thing I read by Beagle was the story of a cross-country trip on a Vespa or some such. But it was a long time ago!

This could have gone in several threads. Over in SMAL, I posted a "What's YourTube" thread, which mentioned the channel for the restoration of the yacht Tally Ho. This has been happening in Sequim, WA, about 30 miles west of me.
    We had to go to Sequim today for a medical/Costco/Home Depot trip so why not drive by Tally Ho and see the new paint job? After a bit of wandering around, we found the right road and...IT'S NOT THERE!
    Leo's been having some issues with Clallam County so it's been known that he'd be moving here to Port Townsend, in the boatyard. Just not when, exactly. It's happened.
    We'll be in town tomorrow and I'll be sure to drive around the boatyard to see where she's wound up!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    This could have gone in several threads. Over in SMAL, I posted a "What's YourTube" thread, which mentioned the channel for the restoration of the yacht Tally Ho. This has been happening in Sequim, WA, about 30 miles west of me.
    We had to go to Sequim today for a medical/Costco/Home Depot trip so why not drive by Tally Ho and see the new paint job? After a bit of wandering around, we found the right road and...IT'S NOT THERE!
    Leo's been having some issues with Clallam County so it's been known that he'd be moving here to Port Townsend, in the boatyard. Just not when, exactly. It's happened.
    We'll be in town tomorrow and I'll be sure to drive around the boatyard to see where she's wound up!
    That's a real pity but at least you will, hopefully, be able to see her in her new location.

Yup. We'll have a good look today.

After worrying about it for months, today I went in to an electronics shop on the mall and got my smartphone’s battery replaced in only 20 minutes!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Today is Zane's eighth birthday party, the first party we've held in our new home. Only one child is scheduled to attend, but a handful of other friends and family will be there. Adults will be vaccinated. It'll mostly be outside. But it's still something I've been looking forward to for some time--a gathering in my own space, where I don't have to worry about getting everything there or cleaning up immediately.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Today is Zane's eighth birthday party, the first party we've held in our new home. Only one child is scheduled to attend, but a handful of other friends and family will be there. Adults will be vaccinated. It'll mostly be outside. But it's still something I've been looking forward to for some time--a gathering in my own space, where I don't have to worry about getting everything there or cleaning up immediately.
    Baby steps to normal, well I have the feeling Zane would prefer big boy steps. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZANE.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Happy birthday to him!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

It was lovely. My sister gave the kids the Wii she doesn't use anymore, and then three of my friends plus one of Graham's brothers arrived. The brother is the one who has a kid, and she's exactly six months older than Zane. The kids had a wonderful time. The adults had a wonderful time. I was joking with my friends that Graham and his brother were having solemn homeowner conversation, and when we listened to them, the conversation involved words like "joist." Two of my friends were from out of town, and they both agreed that they will have to make plans to visit for a more extended time, possibly an overnight trip, in the future. One of Zane's godparents even suggested that they might plan to be here on a school day at some point, so it'll be just us for a while.

"You can't erase icing."

It was lovely. My sister gave the kids the Wii ....
    I misread "Wii" as "Will", and wondered what she was leaving them.
    Meanwhile, I should be happy that my root canal is over and was less stressful than expected, but I'm mostly just tired.

Yesterday, for Zane's birthday, we went to a park with the kids--and a kid he's been friends with for years who lives in our old apartment complex. His mom's fully vaccinated; his dad has had his first shot and is waiting out the time for his second. We're just really excited about getting the kids vaccinated.

"You can't erase icing."

I slept until nine this morning, the latest I've slept in ages. For a very long time, no matter how late I stayed up, I woke up at seven or even earlier. This might be a consequence of the medication I'm on, which is finally working. I've been on a bunch of different mental health medications over the years, and none of helped. My anxiety is reduced--and so is my joint pain, which is another thing the medication is supposed to help with.

"You can't erase icing."

My anxiety is reduced--and so is my joint pain, which is another thing the medication is supposed to help with.
    ...and the reduction in chronic pain can go a long way to further improve one's mental/emotional health. That was my experience in finally getting effective care and treatment for RA, after several years of mis-/non-diagnosis. I didn't really appreciate just how much the frequent flare ups impacted my emotional well being until the meds made a physical difference. Very glad to hear it's working better for you!

In other trivial news: I recently received a clothing order from one of my favorite vendors but instead of the three shirts I ordered, the package contained 4 pairs of underwear. The package was addressed to me but the enclosed packing slip was for a woman in another state. I called customer service and they immediately arranged to re-ship my order. I received the shipping notice yesterday evening, in fact. So, there's some happy right there. They also offered to send a pre-paid shipping label with which to return the underwear.

The happier part: although the other customer is a women, her order was for men's underwear...in my size...in colors I favor...and at a discount. The ever so slightly embarassing fact is, I'm a fan of this particular brand/style of underwear to the point that quite a few are the sole residents of my underwear drawer. I offered to keep and pay for the underwear so long as the other customer received her replacement underwear. No problem, they said, so I did.

Yes, I realize that I mentioned "underwear" eight times in this post, including this sentence. I really should grow up, I suppose.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    ...and the reduction in chronic pain can go a long way to further improve one's mental/emotional health. That was my experience in finally getting effective care and treatment for RA, after several years of mis-/non-diagnosis. I didn't really appreciate just how much the frequent flare ups impacted my emotional well being until the meds made a physical difference. Very glad to hear it's working better for you!

In other trivial news: I recently received a clothing order from one of my favorite vendors but instead of the three shirts I ordered, the package contained 4 pairs of underwear. The package was addressed to me but the enclosed packing slip was for a woman in another state. I called customer service and they immediately arranged to re-ship my order. I received the shipping notice yesterday evening, in fact. So, there's some happy right there. They also offered to send a pre-paid shipping label with which to return the underwear.

The happier part: although the other customer is a women, her order was for men's underwear...in my size...in colors I favor...and at a discount. The ever so slightly embarassing fact is, I'm a fan of this particular brand/style of underwear to the point that quite a few are the sole residents of my underwear drawer. I offered to keep and pay for the underwear so long as the other customer received her replacement underwear. No problem, they said, so I did.

Yes, I realize that I mentioned "underwear" eight times in this post, including this sentence. I really should grow up, I suppose.
    You just made say underwear like BNL.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I am seated at a table in a restaurant!!!!
    First time since maybe Feb of 2020.

That makes me think of this folk song.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My therapist and I talked about that. I'm in a really good place right now, and it's part HEY THE MEDS ARE WORKING FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER! and in part that I'm an extrovert who's actually getting to spend time with people outside my family again. These things both matter to me.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That makes me think of this folk song.
    The opening of that reminded me of "The Scotsman", which is definitely not about underwear.