Page 101 of 154 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 4593

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Wasn't sure if this one was happy, bugged, or amused, but happy came up first.

While leaving Costco with my cart full of stuff, I was annoyed by a woman leaving her cart in an inappropriate place in the parking lot. Fortunately for her, I was not sufficiently annoyed to prevent me from calling out to her that she'd left her purse in the cart. She was very thankful, but didn't relocate the cart. I basked in my feeling of moral superiority for a moment before unloading my stuff and returning my cart. And hers. More moral superiority. Then the cart collection guy thanked me. I was practically floating with smugness.
    It is hard to spread common courtesy, isn't it. Do something courteous that someone else should have done, and I'm just an enabler. Mention it out loud to the offender, and I run the risk of a angry confrontation over something that should be freaking obvious!

That all of my Christmas shopping is done the only thing I wish I could locally is some tahini because mom wants to make some of her own hummus. But other than just some keeping things I am ready for Christmas. If you are not going to be around for next while., Happy holidays, merry festive season Or happy whatever.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I did something silly today. The company that makes my wife's favorite perfume has a new scent called "Midnight Mass". I ordered in the hopes that it arrives before Christmas. If that doesn't work out, I have a gift for next year.
    Solfe

Sounds like that situation might have some gravity to it.

I'm supposed to be retired. But sometimes I get calls to do special projects that my former clients think will interest me. I had agreed to continue with basic measurements and pathology assessments of a long-running forest research trial I've been involved with for the last 15 or so years. The client on that one managed to talk me into 70% more work (and pay) and it included a final re-evaluation of one trial, which I call the "trial from hell". I felt I couldn't say no because I was the only person still around who was familiar with the place. That's the problem with a greying profession and my sense of moral obligation. But it turned out really well, so that made me happy.

Better yet, an opportunity came along to extend an interpretation of landscape processes I'd done a few years ago deeper into the past. Aerial photographs of the site taken in 1928 were discovered to be available in a federal archive. I acquired scans of the photos and was amazed by the good quality, despite some challenges in making stereo views due to the aircraft's yawing between successive photos and inconsistent timing. One of the things that makes me happy about this is that with the 3D views, I feel like I have entered a time machine. And our understanding of the human influences on this landscape are strengthened by this photo record (it's about aboriginal land management practices using prescribed fire). The best part is that I don't feel pressured about cranking out results. It feels more like I'm pursuing a hobby.

Up early on Christmas Eve after a long sleep. Plenty of time to finish ripping the cds before mom and sis' family head to Campobello for dinner at BILs parents place. And to wrap a few gifts and to pickup some gift cards to add to some gifts. How do you wrap a set tray tables.

My favorite Christmas gift this year... Now I can wake up to The Coffee AND The Force!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The force.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	22856
    Solfe

I got an R2-D2 popcorn maker which goes with my R2-D2 change bank form a couple years ago. Plus this year a got a drone probably wait until better weather to put that together and fly it.

There's snow on the ground for Irene's first Christmas. I mean, not looking forward to driving out to Graham's brother's in it, and I'm not a huge fan of his family anyway, but still.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My favorite Christmas gift this year... Now I can wake up to The Coffee AND The Force!

Name:	The force.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	22856
    This is not the coffee pot you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    I got an R2-D2 popcorn maker which goes with my R2-D2 change bank form a couple years ago. Plus this year a got a drone probably wait until better weather to put that together and fly it.
    Be sure to register your drone with the FAA!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There's snow on the ground for Irene's first Christmas. I mean, not looking forward to driving out to Graham's brother's in it, and I'm not a huge fan of his family anyway, but still.
    She won't remember it, of course, but Simon will. We've got about two inches here. I'm staying in for the day.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

This is not the coffee pot you're looking for.

Be sure to register your drone with the FAA!
    Just outside the jurisdiction by a few kilometers.

She won't remember it, of course, but Simon will. We've got about two inches here. I'm staying in for the day.
    Whiteout here just drove 500 m in it and it was not fun.

I got a Croconana (he's a crocodile and a banana)!

Name:	2017-12-25 08.40.40.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	22858

(The pictures keep getting uploaded on their sides, but they're normal on my computer.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-12-25 08.40.26.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	22857  
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2017-Dec-26 at 12:35 AM.

With a duck's bill on that, you could be mocking multiple creationist memes!

With a duck's bill on that, you could be mocking multiple creationist memes!
    Then he might not have teeth, which would ruin the fact that the designers made him a croconana and not a bananagator (another character they want to make plushies of soon)-- like a real crocodile, he has both upper and lower teeth visible when smiling with a closed mouth, while only an alligator's upper teeth are visible when its mouth is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I got a Croconana (he's a crocodile and a banana)!

Name:	2017-12-25 08.40.40.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	22858

(The pictures keep getting uploaded on their sides, but they're normal on my computer.)

Sure its not a banandile?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I made some pickles with the kids today. Only 4 quarts. They enjoyed it. Me, I smell like pickles.
    Solfe

Croconana and my friend's plushie of his cousin, Plancaiman:

Name:	IMG_5985.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	22859

The complexity of life, how some plants thrive in rainy situations and others won't grow at all. Or how one person will set a hunting blind on his in-laws property and later have to go to a nearby island to get his prey so he can have some meat to help feed his family. How a person weight can go up and down especially when one scale used was off. How one persons brain chemistry can change over time. If everything stayed the same how boring would life be.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Croconana and my friend's plushie of his cousin, Plancaiman:

Name:	IMG_5985.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	22859
    From their smiles I would guess they are enjoying each others' company.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

We are currently "dog- sitting" my sons', very silly, small woolly terrier while he is overseas. Today, I came home from walking my dog and when I opened the side gate the terrier ran out through my legs - ignoring my yells. He then ran straight onto the road as a car was coming along. There was a small thump and the dog ran back on to my front lawn. He now has a dirty black patch on his head - he had apparently run directly into the side of the car wheels and was none the worse for his efforts.

The woman driver came back to see what had happened. She was very shaken and I assured her a number of times that it was not her fault and she could have done nothing to miss the dog and that he was fine.

So we have a very lucky dog - still stupid however. And I don't have to explain to my son that I had taken his dog to a "farm in the country".

We had a black lab collie mix and even tho it lived to be about 15-16 years old we just called her pup. She was all black and her favorite place to lay down is at bottom of the stairs where there is no light and got steeped on by accident a lot. We let her outside unchained like everyone else, she got hit by a car at least twice, on one of her journeys got shot in the foot. Later in her life we had a dog named Becky and every once and a while they take off for a day and come back completely soaked around their legs up to their torsos. The only she couldn't ou tough out was old age.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2017-Dec-28 at 11:21 AM.

That a couple of weeks ago we moved the pop from the porch to the kitchen, 2l popsicles are not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    That a couple of weeks ago we moved the pop from the porch to the kitchen, 2l popsicles are not fun.
    You want to be careful with that. We've had frozen soda cans explode while thawing.

seen that too.

The right tool for the job.
    My wife got a polarizing filter cross-threaded on to her expensive camera lens. After trying to take this off by hand, with the aid of various friction-increasing manoeuvres, and after rejecting options involving putting it in the fridge (which component will contract more?) and filing the locating ring, I spent 2.98 on a 72mm "filter wrench", which had it off in a jiffy.

Grant Hutchison

My morning walk takes me past an elementary school and the other day as I was going by I heard a teacher's voice say;

"Okay class, what's seventy-nine plus three?"

I didn't hear the reply, but I did hear a "Very good!" from the teacher.

And somehow I immediately thought;

"Even Shaula got his start somewhere!"

Thereby proving some board members here live in my head rent free.

Hey Solfe, what grade would this be, second or third?

(Clev, just so you don't have to look it up, I think it's 82...)
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Hey Solfe, what grade would this be, second or third?
    It sounds like second grade to me. But first grade has the standard of "to 100" also.

I'm not gen edu though. 4 of 6 of my 10th graders couldn't do it.

Speaking of grades, pulled a 3.75 this semester. I also landed a job as a substitute teacher for children with autism. I have been subbing in a 10th grade room for a couple of weeks, mostly in the capacity of a TA. The Friday before Christmas the teacher, Miss H, quit. The room is mine now.

Oddly, I was out at a bar for a Christmas party and bumped into Miss H and Miss S. Miss S was the teacher in that room before Miss H. I applied generous amounts of alcohol to get hints and tips from them. Thankfully, it is pay, not the students that is the problem.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2017-Dec-29 at 12:11 PM.
    Solfe

More stuff that makes me happy. I had been a long duration sub in both gen ed and special education settings, but I took a permanent job at a new place. Up until now, "long term" meant part of a week. This is more open ended and I hope the situation lasts until the end of the school year. 3 teachers in one year is too much, four isn't going make it better.

This place I am at has a particular style that I appreciate. Subs plus autism does not work. The students don't like change. So to get around that, I work 5 days a week and am attached to a different class either by day or for a few periods every day. It's taken about 6 weeks for everyone to get used to the novelty of having a sub on call for lunches and doctor's appointments. The students, once they get used to me, don't see me as a substitute.

The other great thing they do is a program of outings. I have a list of events and things that are educationally approved in the area and we do one or two a week. We made cookies so we started with a video on how to make cookies, looked up a recipe, made a shopping list, and then the whole class went shopping. Another trip was to the Power Vista in Niagara Falls. Once a month we go swimming at the Y with the gym teacher. I liked that one until I got stuck subbing for two different classes in one day and did 3 hours of swimming and 2 hours of showering, dressing and driving. I was very tired after that, but a little impressed that I could swim for hours.

So, how I landed this job was through a professor's "Behavior Management in the Classroom" class. I aced it, but the teacher was completely bemused by my attitude. My classmates would ask questions like: "What if the student swears at me?" or "What if they simply won't work?". The teacher would give them suggestions and then since I hadn't asked a question all week, she would ask me about stuff I had encountered. One day, I asked for suggestions as to what to do when a child takes off all of their clothes in the corner of classroom and poops on them*. After a few go-rounds of "why is that happening?" with the class (not the teacher) my professor suggested I contact this school because of my patience and point of view.

*The answer is make them get dressed, usually behind some sort of curtain or barrier for privacy purposes. In the event that they put on the poop covered clothes instead of the fresh ones you gave them, it's shower time. What happens next is up depends on the student's home setting. If they are going home to mom or dad, you need to make a phone call because a bag of poop in the backpack is always unwelcome. There is also the possibility of doing laundry right at the school. The student will watch you do this and then have to wear the clean clothes home as a natural consequence. The consequence is redressing, not anything else.

There is also a slight chance the student could face problems at home for this behavior, like a beating. Or they could live in a group home. A teacher would not want to bother or antagonize the staff with a bag of poop. If either is the case, you tell the student a social story about clean clothes, do some laundry, and then minimalistically inform the guardian.

It could be the clothes themselves causing the problem. For the record, poop is wonderful and efficient way to make humans avoid or remove something. Pooping on a ugly, scratchy shirt will absolutely make it go away.
    Solfe

The pipes didn't freeze, well at least I didn't hear "Dave go down in the basement."

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The right tool for the job.
    My wife got a polarizing filter cross-threaded on to her expensive camera lens. After trying to take this off by hand, with the aid of various friction-increasing manoeuvres, and after rejecting options involving putting it in the fridge (which component will contract more?) and filing the locating ring, I spent 2.98 on a 72mm "filter wrench", which had it off in a jiffy.

Grant Hutchison
    there is an important lesson in "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" which has been my guide, you must recognise when you need the right tool, even if that means a long walk, as in the book. Sometimes you need to invent the tool but that's progress.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G