Page 102 of 155 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 4650

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Needed a victory, even a small one.

For a few days my kitchen sink has been clogged (again!); draining very very slowly. Not something I need on top of the getting-the-house-ready-to-sell issues. Drain cleaning liquids didn't help.

Bought an "auger". Never seen one before (but guessed plumbers must have such a device). It cost about 2 x a bottle of drain cleaner (and is re-usable). It has a flexible steel shaft, held in a spring-loaded disk shaped container, with a kind of open-wire screw at the end. You can pull out as much of the shaft as you want, then pinch it with a small set screw to lock it, and it has a knob that turns the whole contraption with the handle free rotating. The idea is to poke the shaft down the drain until the blockage is found then turn the handle so the screw can start to bite into whatever's blocking the drain.

Right at its 4 m limit, I found resistance. Turned the handle a while then pulled it out. The screw was filled with a kind of sticky grainy muck; I'm guessing undissolved dishwasher tablet. (I was expecting cooked, rinsed off plates, rice). Repeat twice until screw comes back empty. Victory! Sink now draining well.

The kitchen sink is at the opposite side of the house to the outside gully trap, so there's an 8 m horizontal section in the pipe (and the way this house is built I wouldn't be surprised if it sags in the middle) . I think when the dishwasher drains, some of the outflow then just sits in that section of the pipe, and over time solidifies.

Lesson being to waste some water any time the dishes are done (or dishwasher used) flushing a little extra down the plug hole, hoping to avoid the build-up.

Long post for small story. But my epic victory had to be told.

(Also, a sunny day and I'm off to visit a friend, whose neighbor lets him use their pool. I've also been trying to get rid of some sacks of firewood (property clean-up), and remembered (doh!) my friend has a wood fire - so those are loaded into the car ...

Edit: he appreciated the wood. We had a nice day in the pool and I could unload my mind a bit. Great friend who didn't mind listening more than talking. (But had good advice when I gave him a chance to talk.) Feeling very relaxed right now.
    )
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2017-Dec-30 at 06:49 AM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Hi, This is the way of things. I used to have an Austin-Healey Sprite in high school , and being the frugal sort at $1 an hour , I had to change my own oil. Now they didn't put a spin-on oil filter like modern cars. No. They had this canister thing with a cartridge inside, and this system had a peculiar hard rubber band style of an oil seal ,which sat into a dedicated groove between the edge of the can and the cast fitting on the motor. Everyone in creation cussed this system. If you failed
    in this installation, you squirted oil " Everywhere " . 40 pounds of oil pressure will do that.
    I begged my dentist for one of his older dental tools ,which had a bad end on one end of it.
    The other was this skinny little shaft no bigger than a dimes' thickness with a hook bend to it.
    It was the only tool that would do the job. Then, a little grease on the rubber band to hold it up into place and then, with a prayer, bolt the canister in position, set it right and top off the oil.
    Note: if you just dropped the oil and never changed the filter, the motor would die from
    lube starvation, and thousands of them did...... for want of a good tool.
    " Persistence and determination are omnipotent " .

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Needed a victory, even a small one.

For a few days my kitchen sink has been clogged (again!); draining very very slowly. Not something I need on top of the getting-the-house-ready-to-sell issues. Drain cleaning liquids didn't help.

Bought an "auger"...
    Oh, yes. So far we've saved about 400 dollars in plumber costs by buying a <$20 version of that which attaches to a drill! Sometimes it comes up with something a bit messy, but I can handle messy.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Oops, wrong thread
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

We made gnocchi with meatballs based on a recipe in the local supermarket's recipe magazine and my Yiayia's (Greek for grandmother, my Mom's late mother) old recipe for veal meatballs, and it turned out amazing! We used basil leaves from the basil plant in the kitchen, and my brother J. and I moulded the meatballs... Dad is a bit of a martinet about cooking, so he did some yelling early on, but once it was done and we actually ate it, he was falling over himself praising Mom and I for choosing to make it.

Iím happy and excited for my wife. Having ordered it about two months ago...before it was even built...we picked her new car today: a 2018 Mazda CX-5 with almost all the bells and whistles.

I love my F-150 but this thing as it beat on amenities. It even has heated wipers and steering wheel. She also had a remote start installed...her first. Her last two vehicles were red(ish) and she didnít want another but Mazda has a unique red, composed of multiple layers that give it depth and amazing highlights. When she first saw it on the lot, she changed her mind on the spot.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Cool looking car.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Candy Apple Red, we used to call that.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Definitely a candy apple red if I ever saw one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Candy Apple Red, we used to call that.
    It does remind me of a candy apple red but the light plays off of it differently.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I guess I should also confess that Iím happy about the new car because Iím geeking out over all the technological bells and whistles and for playing the role of tech support. Iíve been going through the manual, setting features up, and familiarizing Dona with them.

Unlike her previous car, the audio system pretty much fully interfaces with her iPhone music and calling features and has itís own voice recognition, to boot. The rear view mirror has a HomeLink system built in, which I programmed to operate our garage door. The driverís seat is now set to auto adjust for both of us when one of us opens the driver side door. Thereís also a heads-up display projected on the windshield and it automatically adjusts to our preferences, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I guess I should also confess that I’m happy about the new car because I’m geeking out over all the technological bells and whistles and for playing the role of tech support. I’ve been going through the manual, setting features up, and familiarizing Dona with them.

Unlike her previous car, the audio system pretty much fully interfaces with her iPhone music and calling features and has it’s own voice recognition, to boot. The rear view mirror has a HomeLink system built in, which I programmed to operate our garage door. The driver’s seat is now set to auto adjust for both of us when one of us opens the driver side door. There’s also a heads-up display projected on the windshield and it automatically adjusts to our preferences, too.
    That is sweet!
    Solfe

I guess I should also confess that I’m happy about the new car because I’m geeking out over all the technological bells and whistles and for playing the role of tech support. I’ve been going through the manual, setting features up, and familiarizing Dona with them.

Unlike her previous car, the audio system pretty much fully interfaces with her iPhone music and calling features and has it’s own voice recognition, to boot. The rear view mirror has a HomeLink system built in, which I programmed to operate our garage door. The driver’s seat is now set to auto adjust for both of us when one of us opens the driver side door. There’s also a heads-up display projected on the windshield and it automatically adjusts to our preferences, too.
    did the same thing with moms new car.

I get frustrated with the tech in my wife's 2016 Pilot. Especially the audio and nav, which work ONLY through the touch screen. Touch screens suck in a moving vehicle. Give me good old knobs and buttons any day.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I recall reading an article in Flying magazine over thirty years ago where they claimed a study of pilots had found they generally preferred radios with knobs for tuning a frequency rather than buttons for setting it. I totally get that. I don't even want to think about a touch screen in a car. As it is, I've owned my F-150 for over four years and have never bothered to learn how to sync my phone to it. I turn off the phone when I'm in the vehicle. And I really hate the combination of buttons and dial needed for finding and playing the albums I have on the USB stick on that Ford system. It's best to pull off the road to do it safely.

My son accidentally wiped a hard drive. I have a backup, but it's in the cloud. I am waiting on the last 600 songs of a 8000+ library to download. The end is in sight.
    Solfe

Happy Perihelion day, doesn't feel like we are at the closest point to the sun.

I think I worked out a successful formula for posting here without getting in trouble with the mods.

I don't let myself post for 48 hours if I yell curse words out loud at the news.

(Seems to have a positive bio-feedback effect as well...)

Though I think there are stories that end with "and the neighbors all knew him as a quiet man" that start like this.

So we won't be seeing you around that much for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I think I worked out a successful formula for posting here without getting in trouble with the mods.

I don't let myself post for 48 hours if I yell curse words out loud at the news.

Though I think there are stories that end with "and the neighbors all knew him as a quiet man" that start like this.
    Peter O'Toole's wife, Si‚n Phillips, told the story of how she once presented him with a gift of a huge box of table-tennis balls.
    "What's this for?" he asked.
    "We're going to put it by your chair when you watch the television news," she said. "Then you can throw a ball instead of an ashtray."

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Peter O'Toole's wife, Si‚n Phillips, told the story of how she once presented him with a gift of a huge box of table-tennis balls.
    "What's this for?" he asked.
    "We're going to put it by your chair when you watch the television news," she said. "Then you can throw a ball instead of an ashtray."

Grant Hutchison
    Well his way he has a reason to stop smoking.

Is it possible to watch the news and not yell (or at least think) curse words?

I probably couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    So we won't be seeing you around that much for a while.
    Been using it since November...

Stump carving. Which seems to be a thing.
    Here are a couple of tree-stump sculptures not too far from where I live (as usual, click to enlarge).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_3813.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	22871
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_3819.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	22872

Grant Hutchison

I took my class to the golf dome the other day. Three baskets of golf balls divided between 6 kids lasted about 20 minutes. It was insane. Best fun I've had in ages.
    Solfe

Irene, who is in her last month of being a baby, is such a delight. Her hair is starting to curl. She's starting to communicate--if she's hungry, she'll hand you a bottle. She'll respond to basic requests sometimes, if she's in the mood. Of course, she's also started taking off wet diapers, so that's less fun!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Ah Miss Gillian, you're going to make me cry if you keep reminding me of my own little babies!

At the Father of The Bride speech I mentioned the only time my youngest daughter ever broke my heart was when she was sixteen and she dyed her longer than shoulder length hair.

She was a natural strawberry blonde. Women pay thousands to color their hair like hers was. After it was dyed I knew I would never see that color again. Just the logistics of dyeing long hair and the fact that that hair color changes with age dictate it.

Adding to the list of things I never thought I could do, I started my black belt prep class last night (my test is a little less than a year away). He instructed us to do 5 tasks in 20 minutes, the first being 150 pushups. I laughed in my head, knowing on my best day, I have never done more than ten. I suspected it was to gauge where we were, so I wasn't concerned with completing all of the tasks but I was going to get as far as I could go on the pushups. I did 25 before I hit my first wall. Then I was doing them in shorts bursts of five followed by small breaks, then I would get to four before my arms couldn't push me up anymore, then three. I made it to 62 standard pushups before I simply couldn't do anymore. I dropped down to my knees and started doing short bursts in modified pushups. It hurt like heck but I made it to 150. I didn't think I would get back up for the last one. My arms almost collapsed beneath me but my husband was next to me, cheering me on so I just kind of growled and finally straightened my arms. I even had enough time to get ten sit ups in before the time ran out. I am kind of annoyed, though, because all this time, I thought my limit was a lot lower.

Ah Miss Gillian, you're going to make me cry if you keep reminding me of my own little babies!

At the Father of The Bride speech I mentioned the only time my youngest daughter ever broke my heart was when she was sixteen and she dyed her longer than shoulder length hair.

She was a natural strawberry blonde. Women pay thousands to color their hair like hers was. After it was dyed I knew I would never see that color again. Just the logistics of dyeing long hair and the fact that that hair color changes with age dictate it.
    Simon's hair has never been cut. When it's wet, it's past his shoulders, but dry, it's natural ringlets. A dusty golden colour. He's positively cherubic. And some kid in his class had convinced him that he had girl hair. So he started demanding to get a haircut. Now, I'd always said that, when he had an opinion on his hair that lasted longer than thirty seconds, he could get a haircut, so I agreed that he could get one this month. A few days ago, he walked in and informed me that he'd changed his mind, because long hair was more cooler.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"