Page 139 of 196 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 5864

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I can remember when the NFL champion would play a pre-season exhibition match against a collegiate all-star team. They had some "play gentle" rules, but both teams also had something to prove.

The NHL has been using a very interesting all-star game set up. The league has four conferences. Each conference has a team. (More all-stars get to compete.) They play two 20 minute mini-games (AvB and CvD) and the two winners play a third. Fast, high scoring, still some hitting, and fun to watch.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Yeah, well...hitting. Lots of grudges on the ice, even in an all-star game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here in the maritimes two university teams got into a fight Sunday and they are still figuring out who and how long to suspend.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Our power came back on after four hours. It's about 0C here so that's a very good thing. Also good is that our fancy integrated generator fired up automatically and kept us from being totally without. Couldn't actually watch TV, but after I moved the main Tivo box into the bedroom where the power is we could watch recordings.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

A friend's power went off yesterday, and she got it back pretty quickly, too. Also, the cat that turned up at her house and wasn't hers turned out to have an owner who was happy to get it back and find out that it had spent the night safe and warm.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Speaking of cats, there was a cat in Montana the other day that apparently got injured while outside and was unable to make its way to its usual hiding spots. When its owners found it, it was unresponsive, with clumps of snow frozen to its fur, and had a body temperature lower than what the vet's thermometers were able to read.

Made a complete recovery.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Eight left.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Here is the official warning there is another member of the family with a drivers licence, may niece passed here drivers test today.

They're starting two hours late, but our school district goes back today.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Here is the official warning there is another member of the family with a drivers licence, may niece passed here drivers test today.
    Sorry my niece.

I finally saw Avatar for the first time with the family. It was pretty good, it seemed to be self consistent for the most part.

However, there was a scene where they "lost it". It's a blink and you miss it moment when Sully wakes up as an avatar. When the doctors and scientists start the scene, they are facing a glass wall. In the reflection, you can see that the humans are wearing paper masks and the avatar clearly doesn't have a mask on.

My daughter caught it right away and said: "One of them should be wearing a mask." In the course of a few seconds, the humans move and when they face the camera, they are wearing air masks and no paper masks.

It must have been a CGI glitch where they put one image on a fake glass window which didn't match what it should have reflected. It's odd, because clearly they are the same people. You could see more of their faces in the reflection than when they are facing the camera.
    Solfe

It is March 1st, hopefully the weather will get better soon, time to start some of the plants and might be able to get a new chair for the desk. Hopefully the check from last weeks job will finally be released by end of the day.

I finally got back into the other forum, no thanks to its management. I might have been better off just deleting the bookmarks. I go there mainly for the stuff we can't discuss here, but some of the posters make me so angry!

I finished the sampler I was making for my firstborn last night, after repeatedly losing the last embroidery floss. I've now started on one for a friend who gets her PhD this month, and after that will be one for a certain person who's built his dream house!

"You can't erase icing."

Assuming that's me, thank you so much! Maybe I can hang it next to the one from my grandmother's maiden aunt, done at the age of 10 in 1867. We also have a quite amazing crazy quilt by the same lady, later in life.

It is! I posted a picture of the one I just finished on Facebook this morning; my firstborn has suggested that I hold onto it until we see her next on the grounds that I'm more likely to see her sooner if we do that. We'll probably make plans to go up after I've finished yours, so I can deliver two at once rather than mail frames. My friend with the PhD lives in Texas now (she just moved because she got a job at a museum there), and I've admitted I'm not framing hers, just sticking it in an envelope. Frames are HEAVY.

"You can't erase icing."

This morning, Simon was awake when I woke up. He got dressed with a minimum of cajoling. He was dressed early enough so that we read Shel Silverstein poems for five minutes. He then got his shoes and coat on with no fuss and was actually at his bus stop early, the way he's supposed to be.

"You can't erase icing."

While we did get snow overnight, school is on as scheduled. Especially good since today is class picture day.

"You can't erase icing."

Less then 2 weeks left until spring.

Less than one week until Formula One. And for the first time in a month, we're both feeling well enough to go somewhere tomorrow.

I start Comps the last week of the month, don’t remind me.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I start Comps the last week of the month, don’t remind me.
    Hopefully it will go well and hopefully you don't get the Spanish Inquisition.
    (Yes everything still goes back Python.)

The kids let me sleep this morning! In fact, it's nine, and Irene is still asleep herself. But I know Simon woke up a while ago, because I half-woke up when he opened the door to check if I was awake, and he left again, closing the door behind him.

"You can't erase icing."

My 15 year old is all wishy washy about his musical tastes. He doesn't want to share, in the typical teenage fashion. This morning, I put on Imagine Dragons' On Top of the World. He shouted out how much he loves this song and turned it up. His older brother and younger sister ran into the room and busted out their very best Breakfast Club dance moves.

My oldest doesn't dance and my daughter is sort of snobby about music. It was totally unexpected.
    Solfe

The cat purring on my lap. I don't get that all that often.

The SailGP league’s tribute to their female crew and support staff from last week is very good, especially as having very little interest in female involvement was one of the things many of the same organizers were criticized for when they were involved with the America’s Cup a few years ago.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I hear rain.

Dry feet after stomping around in the snow for just over an hour.

It is pi day.

Pi day yo
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom