Page 141 of 154 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,230 of 4593

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

It does at least have blue doors!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

A rather gun shy student asked me to read to him for the first time in months. He wanted the story with "Jason and the girl". I plopped right down on the floor with him, called up The Delikon on my phone and started reading to him. The classroom teacher came into the room and saw us lying on the floor, did a double take to make sure it was ok and flashed me a thumbs up.

This is the kid who broke my ribs last year. The Delikon was the story I had been reading to the class when the incident happened. The ebook was actually on the very last page I read that day.

I've been working in his classroom since Jan 2nd and this was the first time he called me by name and tried to interact with me. People are afraid of him without trying to understand him. I've been trying to lead by example with this kid. We only have a limited time with him and what he is going through cannot be fixed in school, but it doesn't hurt to have people try to work with him. Being unreasonably afraid is... well, unreasonable. He knows that staff and students avoid him. I'm not doing that.

He told the teacher he that he knows the book is one of my favorites, so he asked for me, not for him. Good first step.
    Solfe

You're a good person, Solfe.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    You're a good person, Solfe.
    Clearly, another box marked on St. Peterís entry checklist.

/St. Peter is the metaphorical gatekeeper to heaven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Simon's godparent will be here in a couple of hours to take care of the kids while we run away to Seattle overnight for our anniversary, which is Monday.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Congratulations! We just had my niece and her husband here to celebrate both their birthdays and their anniversary, none of which are today but are pretty close.

Summer uniform: Shorts, T-shirt, fisherman's sandals, no socks. I've been a bit cold once or twice today, but not so that I miss the jeans and socks. Can I make it stick until September? We'll see.

I recently discovered a treasure-trove of mp3 files that I downloaded during the days of Napster. They had somehow been carried-over with every computer and during every disk upgrade Iíve done since downloading.

Iíve also found an unused USB drive in my desk drawer.

My new vehicle will play MP3 files, and has a nice out-of-the way port.

Free road trip music!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you're in the US, I believe the statute of limitations on copyright infringement is three years, so you should be okay to admit that.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Summer uniform: Shorts, T-shirt, fisherman's sandals, no socks. I've been a bit cold once or twice today, but not so that I miss the jeans and socks. Can I make it stick until September? We'll see.
    Yesterday, I really wish I'd been wearing shorts. And then realized it was like sixty degrees out!

But we had a beautiful day. I'm very, very tired and sore now, but about 24 hours away from the kids was great for us. Sixteen years tomorrow, and there's definitely no one else I'd rather go to an art museum with.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Congratulations. More than 40 years for us now, and no regrets.

60F is warm enough for shorts for me. I think. I did do long pants today when it was a bit cooler. Especially in the house, because my wife like it very cool. If she sees the thermostat at 68, she'll want it lower.

Oh, today's little accomplishment:

Our new house has a barn door to the master suite, because my wife wanted one. The builders didn't plan it altogether well. To one side of the door there's a little cat door opening, so the babies can get in and out and we can hide the unmade bed. But when the door is going to be open, it has to not cover some light switches. That resulted in moving the door track over and the door interfering with the cat door when closed. When I complained, the builder couldn't figure out any better solution than sticking a screw into the wall to stop the door.
    A couple of days ago was the big "warranty day" when they were fixing everything. I proposed a fix for the door stop. They said it was impossible. So today I fixed it myself, in about an hour, not counting the drive to town to get a bolt. Not happy with the builder, but very satisfied with my own action
    I should probably find some pictures....

Saturday was first shorts day for me.

First time out looking at the stars for a couple of months.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

The borders of most of the samplers I make are words in some way relating to the theme of the sampler in question--for my therapist, it was prescription medication, for example, and for my firstborn's year-of-birth one, it was various important details about 1997. The current one is the word for "home" in thirty languages, including one native to every populated continent and a certain language invented for a science fiction show that became a franchise. And the corners lined up beautifully.

"You can't erase icing."

I have a feeling I may be seeing that sampler some day.

Meanwhile, today I was puzzled.
    Me: "What should we have for dinner?"
    Wife: "There's a Papa Murphy's on the other side of the parking lot and it's Twelve Dollar Tuesday."
    I love her so much!

I can read a lot of positive posts in this thread and that help in lightening up the mood. My pug is getting used to his new dog bed that I got online and that is such a great new for he won't occupy my bed anymore.
    Last edited by 1claire; 2019-Apr-04 at 02:33 AM.

Our cats have not eaten me yet.

I have a feeling I may be seeing that sampler some day.

Meanwhile, today I was puzzled.
    Me: "What should we have for dinner?"
    Wife: "There's a Papa Murphy's on the other side of the parking lot and it's Twelve Dollar Tuesday."
    I love her so much!
    I was thinking next month might be a lovely time for a Port Townsend visit, yes. I just yesterday posted the pictures of the one I made for a friend who got her PhD last week, if you want to know the sort of thing I make--though you'd have to get your lovely wife to show you on Facebook!

We also went out to a park with one of my friends yesterday, and that was very pleasant. I got to talk to an adult for a while, the kids ran out their energy, and even though Irene fell off the climbing thing she wants to try all the time even though she's not ready, what we got from her was not shrieking but a calm, "I fell down."

"You can't erase icing."

Tomorrow I'll be lobbying to change 2 US laws for a board of US congress members. Even though I've never even been in the USA. For those who now think "why don't you bother with your own continent's laws": I'll be limiting myself to laws that actually influence us (international business). I'm curious how things will go!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Tomorrow I'll be lobbying to change 2 US laws for a board of US congress members. Even though I've never even been in the USA. For those who now think "why don't you bother with your own continent's laws": I'll be limiting myself to laws that actually influence us (international business). I'm curious how things will go!
    I read “Board” as “Beard” there and interpreted it as “Lobbying for a requirement that at least two US Congress members have a beard” and thought I was on a joke thread for a moment.

Yes, I am doing Comps this week and my brain is kind of fried.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

I have to pick my battles. As much as I'd value a beard quotum in political positions, I'm got other even more pressing priorities.

This afternoon went into town early and picked up some potting soil, an old neighbor was at that store and said hi. Went to the auction one of my great aunts was there, a lot of jokes a lot of stuff sold, get out a bit early and got a tip from the auctioneer. Tried to get the grocery store before it closed to get some ribs but didn't make it. Sis got me some coke on a trip, nice and clear skies so stayed out a bot and grabbed a coke.

My sister finally got back to me. She's going through the slow process of a divorce, and she hasn't really wanted to talk to me much during it--because I never liked her now-becoming-ex-husband--but Simon wanted to send her a message telling her that he loved her, and it's hard not to respond to that.

"You can't erase icing."

Tonight my niece just showed and talk to here Nana and uncle in her own car, had a little talk with outdoors, rainy day driving me nuts, famed landmark burning that made my day.

Our physics teacher wanted to upgrade our astronomy equipment, and applied for funding through a PTA grant process, but he wasn't very confident. They came back, saying yes, asking him if he might want even more equipment.

Yesterday, Mrs Extravoice and I drove to Wallops Island to watch the launch of the NG-11 resupply launch to the ISS.
    The weather was delightful, and we had an amazing view (and listen) from the visitor center.

The only downside is that the Wallops facilities weren't really designed to handle the crowd size that would come out for a springtime, mid-day launch of the Antares.

For bloggers, spam comments are usually a bane of our existence. I'm running a series of blog posts about magic items for D&D games. There is a spammer for a consignment shop that is posting comments implying that the magic item described would look great on or in some of the furniture sold at the consignment shop.

Big points for being on topic.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    For bloggers, spam comments are usually a bane of our existence. I'm running a series of blog posts about magic items for D&D games. There is a spammer for a consignment shop that is posting comments implying that the magic item described would look great on or in some of the furniture sold at the consignment shop.

Big points for being on topic.

"Can't carry all that furniture? Use one of these Bags of Holding!"
    "Spammer, roll a saving throw.... sorry, you've been banned".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    "Can't carry all that furniture? Use one of these Bags of Holding!"
    "Spammer, roll a saving throw.... sorry, you've been banned".
    As a former editor at TSR, Inc., Wizards of the Coast, and Hasbro Inc., I feel personally threatened and I am going to my corner to sulk. I might also whine, just be aware it is your fault.