Page 142 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,260 of 4640

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    As a former editor at TSR, Inc., Wizards of the Coast, and Hasbro Inc., I feel personally threatened and I am going to my corner to sulk. I might also whine, just be aware it is your fault.
    Despite the thread title, this should in no way make anyone happy.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2019-Apr-22 at 06:46 PM.

I have done my taxes, took them up to the mail box burnt off some of the calories from a couple of Easter meals, saw a about 8 wild turkeys while there.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

In very general terms, step 2 of The Wife’s treatment plan has begun. I took the day off work to accompany her to her first oncology appointment and it went well. The doc is a personable, positive, and enthusiastic guy with great credentials. This is the first I’ve mentioned it in the public forum, so here’s the backstory.

A while back, she had a mammogram come back with concerns, subsequently had a needle biopsy, and was diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ...the kind of cancer you want if you absolutely have to have it. Caught very small and early...noninvasive...stage 0 by definition.

She had a successful and uneventful lumpectomy a couple of weeks ago. Final pathology confirmed the diagnosis and showed clean if narrow margins. Next step is a six-week course of radiation and five years of Tamoxifen.

Oddly, the diagnosis wasn’t the hardest part for her. It was the uncertainty of the treatment plan. With that settled, we can make plans beyond that. Of the things that bothered my wife the most, one of them was our vacation in October. We’re back on track now.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    For bloggers, spam comments are usually a bane of our existence. I'm running a series of blog posts about magic items for D&D games. There is a spammer for a consignment shop that is posting comments implying that the magic item described would look great on or in some of the furniture sold at the consignment shop.

Big points for being on topic.
    As a current player, that sounds interesting, do you have a link?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    As a former editor at TSR, Inc., Wizards of the Coast, and Hasbro Inc., I feel personally threatened and I am going to my corner to sulk. I might also whine, just be aware it is your fault.
    I used to have to go to occasional meetings at "The Wizards Building" in Renton, WA. They had the bottom floor, the FAA had offices in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    In very general terms, step 2 of The Wife’s treatment plan has begun. I took the day off work to accompany her to her first oncology appointment and it went well. The doc is a personable, positive, and enthusiastic guy with great credentials. This is the first I’ve mentioned it in the public forum, so here’s the backstory.

A while back, she had a mammogram come back with concerns, subsequently had a needle biopsy, and was diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ...the kind of cancer you want if you absolutely have to have it. Caught very small and early...noninvasive...stage 0 by definition.

She had a successful and uneventful lumpectomy a couple of weeks ago. Final pathology confirmed the diagnosis and showed clean if narrow margins. Next step is a six-week course of radiation and five years of Tamoxifen.

Oddly, the diagnosis wasn’t the hardest part for her. It was the uncertainty of the treatment plan. With that settled, we can make plans beyond that. Of the things that bothered my wife the most, one of them was our vacation in October. We’re back on track now.
    Wow, tough times and apparently a happy ending. Best wishes to you and your wife.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I used to have to go to occasional meetings at "The Wizards Building" in Renton, WA. They had the bottom floor, the FAA had offices in the 2nd.
    Remember that building well. It was HUGE. Loved the courtyard in the center. WotC ("wot-see") flew me out 1-2 times a year when I was working long distance, telecommuting, until I was laid off in Dec 2000 during a Hasbro restructuring. Rumor was that the Star Wars figures for the second trilogy were not selling well, so Hasbro dumped a load of people to make up for it.

Wait, I was supposed to be sulking.

In very general terms, step 2 of The Wife’s treatment plan has begun. I took the day off work to accompany her to her first oncology appointment and it went well. The doc is a personable, positive, and enthusiastic guy with great credentials.
    Most excellent news. Sending positivity your way.

In very general terms, step 2 of The Wife’s treatment plan has begun. I took the day off work to accompany her to her first oncology appointment and it went well. The doc is a personable, positive, and enthusiastic guy with great credentials. This is the first I’ve mentioned it in the public forum, so here’s the backstory. ...
    Again, lots of good thoughts to both of you.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I have done my taxes, took them up to the mail box burnt off some of the calories from a couple of Easter meals, saw a about 8 wild turkeys while there.
    Similarities. Finished my taxes a few weeks ago ... but it did take a few Wild Turkeys to get through them.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Very happy that things continue smoothly. Good to have a good doctor too.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Similarities. Finished my taxes a few weeks ago ... but it did take a few Wild Turkeys to get through them.

My taxes only took a check to Bernie, my tax guy. The bourbons were just because I like bourbon.

Good outcome for a bad situation. Enjoy planning your October holidays.

Glad your wife's doing okay; I hope that continues true.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Brett, good to hear of the positive outcome. Please, send my well-wishes.

Best wishes My mother had successful breast cancer surgery at age 40-somethng, and had no related problems for the rest of her life (lived to her mid-90s).

Simon just got on the school bus! No pain killers, no patch, no whining--up and dressed and on the bus.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    As a current player, that sounds interesting, do you have a link?
    theseoldgames.com. I am heavily focused on older games, such as D&D 1e, AD&D and the basic sets from the 80s. It used to be in my sig line, but after looking at my webtrends, more people come from my site TO the forum rather than the other way around. There are exactly 2 ads clearly marked on the upper right of the blog, otherwise everything else is "clean". I hate ads, but I have to promote my own book somehow. I mention the ads because they are straight up html and appear to be unblockable, which is annoying.

The vast majority of traffic from this forum to my website is from posts containing large pictures. People like big pictures but don't have much, if any cross interest in games. 100 times as many people leave my site to the forum than the other way around.

I've already asked the mods if I can mention my book and website and got the go ahead a long time ago. I didn't do anything with that permission because I already know that using the forum as a means of promotion doesn't actually work. I'm tempted to throw open all of my web and sales data so that people know what to expect when promoting a rinky-dink website, blog or book. I would hope that would slow down some spammers, because throwing up links on random forums and blog comments is SO NOT worth your effort.

For the record, I haven't heard anything back from that consignment shop. I was tempted to give them boost with a review or something, basically a humorous way to delivery on whatever the spammer promised them. I still might, depends on how passive-aggressive I feel this weekend.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    theseoldgames.com. I am heavily focused on older games, such as D&D 1e, AD&D and the basic sets from the 80s. It used to be in my sig line, but after looking at my webtrends, more people come from my site TO the forum rather than the other way around. There are exactly 2 ads clearly marked on the upper right of the blog, otherwise everything else is "clean". I hate ads, but I have to promote my own book somehow. I mention the ads because they are straight up html and appear to be unblockable, which is annoying.

The vast majority of traffic from this forum to my website is from posts containing large pictures. People like big pictures but don't have much, if any cross interest in games. 100 times as many people leave my site to the forum than the other way around.

I've already asked the mods if I can mention my book and website and got the go ahead a long time ago. I didn't do anything with that permission because I already know that using the forum as a means of promotion doesn't actually work. I'm tempted to throw open all of my web and sales data so that people know what to expect when promoting a rinky-dink website, blog or book. I would hope that would slow down some spammers, because throwing up links on random forums and blog comments is SO NOT worth your effort.

For the record, I haven't heard anything back from that consignment shop. I was tempted to give them boost with a review or something, basically a humorous way to delivery on whatever the spammer promised them. I still might, depends on how passive-aggressive I feel this weekend.
    I’ve only played 5e and one retroclone, but I love learning about the history and lore of D&D and drawing inspiration from it for how I play.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

This is a little from column A, a little from column B, but mostly good--Graham's duties for the day ended early enough that he decided to come home last night. He got home a little after four. We spent time together. We got dinner. He took care of the kids while I spent time with my online Saturday night group. And then he got a call saying that, unlike having to be back on base by 8:30 this morning, as he thought, they wanted him back at 6. So he had to get up at quarter to five this morning to drive back, which he decided he'd rather do than just sleep on base after all.

"You can't erase icing."

Union Pacific "Big Boy" locomotive number 4014 is operational after several years of restoration. There's some debate as to whether the Big Boy is the largest steam loco ever*, but I don't think there's any question that this is the largest one currently operational. The type was built to haul heavy freight trains over the continental divide from Wyoming to Utah, so it's been fittingly restored in Cheyenne. Kudos to the UP for keeping her alive!

Yes, that's kind of a long video. Probably a long day for those involved. But very, very, cool. Did I ever mention that, as a mechanical engineer, I love seeing old stuff still working?

*"Biggest Steam Loco" has been an argument for years. Do you go by total weight? Drawbar pull? Length? Regardless, this is the largest one operating NOW!

Union Pacific "Big Boy" locomotive number 4014 is operational after several years of restoration. There's some debate as to whether the Big Boy is the largest steam loco ever*, but I don't think there's any question that this is the largest one currently operational. The type was built to haul heavy freight trains over the continental divide from Wyoming to Utah, so it's been fittingly restored in Cheyenne. Kudos to the UP for keeping her alive!

Yes, that's kind of a long video. Probably a long day for those involved. But very, very, cool. Did I ever mention that, as a mechanical engineer, I love seeing old stuff still working?

*"Biggest Steam Loco" has been an argument for years. Do you go by total weight? Drawbar pull? Length? Regardless, this is the largest one operating NOW!
    When I was a little kid they had the last steam locomotive working in Canada do its farewell tour. One stop was a village called McAdam near here. So My grandfather who loved trains had to go. So me, him, my grandfather and lil sis all went. And when the train pulled out of the station we hurried to the car and got to the railway crossing, we forgot to roll up the windows and steam into the car.
    Also we went to a train museum on the other side of the province they had a package where you got to ride in the train have dinner and go back to the station, can't remember if the had a steam loco pulling it but the had some in some out buildings plus a plow they used on one and was huge.

Six Flags bought out Darien Lake again. I stopped in this morning while my son was helping out at soccer match a couple of towns away. Nice time.
    Solfe

My dad would've been really happy about that train; he loved trains. The first thing we always did at Disneyland was take the train around the park. There's a train museum out in Perris, California, that he really liked, and he had a ton of model trains in our basement. Trains always make me think about him.

Yesterday, a friend I haven't seen in six months came down for a visit, and it was great. We hung out together. The kids really liked him--it actually unsettled him a little, as Irene's a very affectionate child who likes to hug people, and he's not a toucher. He also doesn't have a lot of familiarity with small children, but he really seemed amazed by how open they were and how affectionate they were. And I think it really pleased him.

"You can't erase icing."

I've seen some huge (military) steam locomotives in museums, but Big Boy certainly is a beast! Nice to see it's still running.

Speaking of model trains, I have quite some H0 stuff. My brother as well. All in storage at the moment. We're quite sure we both have DC sets. Yesterday, we came up with the plan to combine both our stacks into a single layout. The idea would be that on one end you have "his" yard made from his stuff, on the other end "my" yard, and some connecting lines in between. It would be placed in his attic and if we can get it all to work -it's all seriously old, well-used stuff- it should be awesome. I don't know what he has, but I had at least a good selection of electrified lane changers (whatever you call them) and one or two push plates to uncouple carts electrically. Which makes for a fine remote controlled yard.

A very good day yesterday...and I wasn’t all that optimistic about it going in.

My local adult beverage warehouse had its annual sales event for my particular poison, with the doors opening at 10 AM. So I planned to drive The Wife in to work and spend the day in town. The sale was to include quite a few hard-to-find items so I new there would be a big turn out and competition would be stiff.

I was right. A photo hit my Facebook feed at about 9 PM Friday, showing people lined up with folding chairs as if it were an extended cut of Indiana Jones with an extra 21 seconds of footage. I dropped Dona off at work a little after 8 AM the next morning and made it to the warehouse shortly thereafter...just to see how bad it was. The line extended around the corner of the building but it didn’t look much worse than in the photos from the night before. So I decided to line up. The fellows immediately in front of me had been there since 6:15 AM.

I walked out at about 11 AM with three modest treasures from my HTF wish list. With ticket already in hand (or rather, on phone) I then proceeded directly to see the 11:30 showing of Endgame. Did a little shopping after that, picked up The Wife, and got some nice Greek take-out from a new(ish) place in Eagle River. I capped the night with a cigar and a dram drawn from one of the day’s purchases. It had subtle notes of pecan, vanilla...and victory.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    ...I had at least a good selection of electrified lane changers (whatever you call them) ...
    "Switches" in the USA. Might be "points" in the UK, not sure.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    "Switches" in the USA. Might be "points" in the UK, not sure.
    yep points to change tracks, but don't ask me why!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I've been casually following the rebuild and have watched that video too. And yes, train buff since about 5 (or whenever memories start).

I've written behind NP 765 several times (probably will again this Fall when it returns to this area). I'd love to see 4014, though I suspect she won't be East of the Mississippi any time soon.

Of the many things I love about steam engines is that they are almost like living creatures - you have to be standing next to one to really understand. Even at rest, they seem to breath.

In the Youtube comments for the 4014 video I wrote "Dragons live again".

First time of the year had the bedroom window open all night.

We can't do that here this year. Nature seems to have swapped february and may. I was outside in my T-shirt in februari, now it's even cold inside the house. Not what we're used to in the northern hemisphere!
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2019-May-06 at 01:37 PM.