Page 149 of 157 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,470 of 4689

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    There's WIFI on this ferry, the "Blue Puttees", in the harbour in North Sydney, Nova Scotia. I'm on my way to Newfoundland. I left BC on the 12th on my motorcycle and have travelled 8600 km. I'm retracing parts of a motorbike trip I did 37 years ago, taking a few side trips, and keeping to secondary roads where possible.

I rode through a really ugly thunderstorm in Manitoba and later learned that the same system spawned at least one tornado behind me. Ignorance was bliss.

I hope to visit L'anse aux Meadows on the Northern Peninsula, site of an early Viking settlement. And revisit Cape Spear, the easternmost point in North America.

Not many opportunities to check in the way I'm travelling. Cheers.
    Sounds like a cool trip. Been to both L'anse aux Meadows and Cape Spear, but by car. We really liked Newfoundland.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

And revisit Cape Spear, the easternmost point in North America.
    Ahem.

(Conde Nast Traveler)
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Multi-prong lessons are fun. I nailed vocational skills, math, time-telling, scheduling, health, cooking and expectation management in 45 minutes.
    How did you evenly cut 40 deg angles for the 10th? Had you made waffles, no measuring would have been necessary.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    How did you evenly cut 40 deg angles for the 10th? Had you made waffles, no measuring would have been necessary.
    I didn't even try. Not even remotely. That was part of the funny.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Can't you just put them all in a blender and then distribute them in equally filled cups?
    Or hand out nine pancakes and slip one to the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I thought I already mentioned that.

Oh, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I envy your journey and am glad the tornado skipped you.

However ... technically ... the Alaskan Aleutian Islands extend past 180, so they are further east than Cape Spear.

I don't think you can get there by motorcycle, though. Except at really, really low tide.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I thought I already mentioned that.

Oh, yeah.
    That you did and I completely missed it...as happens too often these days (years).
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

That you did and I completely missed it...as happens too often these days (years).
    Hey, I'm just grateful I remembered posting that.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Glade to hear you are in the Maritimes and Atlantic Canada.
    Thanks. You know, I just might find my way to St Stephen on the way back.

I envy your journey and am glad the tornado skipped you.

However ... technically ... the Alaskan Aleutian Islands extend past 180, so they are further east than Cape Spear.

I don't think you can get there by motorcycle, though. Except at really, really low tide.
    So I'm looking at a map of North America with North up. East is to the right, West to the left. And then there's this arbitrary grid layer over it with zero position on another continent. In my world the left vs right argument trumps the arbitrary grid. (Insert evil grin smiley here)

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Sounds like a cool trip. Been to both L'anse aux Meadows and Cape Spear, but by car. We really liked Newfoundland.
    I was there today. Temperature 8C, mist, then thunderstorms. Two days ago it was 31C in Cape Beton. I'm really enjoying the trip regardless. The guided tour at L'anse aux Meadows was worth waiting for.

Ha ha, but see above.

I was there today.
    "Ah, where' s that, T?"
    That would be L'anse aux Meadows.

Well the last 28 hours have been interesting. As stated in the weather thread, the power got knocked out by a thunder and lighting storm and did not get back on until the morning. Then it the water pump wasn't working, not a hard fix just had flip a switch a few times. Also garbage day, picked some potato bugs off the potatoes again and had to do laundry. Got lunch some chili and pasta salad. Also the battery in cell phone wasn't taken a charge so I have to get a new one, neither store I checked sold them. Then we went down to campground and got into my sisters car and headed off to see my niece. We took a route I have not been on before but like most roads in Southwest NB it was a roller coaster, up you can see off to the next ridge, with a large lake on the way, some call it Utopia, streams and rivers for kilometers not even a power line. Got to the base but we were early so went to restaurant and I got some calamari, I don't get seafood that much. Then back to the base when got in the building we got the program and there it was company sargent major was my nieces name. The ceremony only took about half as long but was nice, I couldn't see much because I stood in the back so some could get chairs, but heard the bagpipes and drums. Then back home as the trip I was in the back, with my niece telling all kinds of stories in the front. What started off as a rough day turned out really well.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I think I hate you for that...

Meanwhile, in the separated by a common language department, here in the USofA we don't "lodge" our returns, we "file" them. "Submit" would make more sense.
    Just to annoy you more. Our tax refunds were credited to both of our accounts today

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet;2489994[B
    ]I think I hate you for that....[/B]
    So just to make you hate me more. Our tax refunds were credited to both of our accounts today. So lodged on 28/7, processed and payment made by 2/8 makes me happy

In a few hours, I'll be packing up and heading out to the first weekend of faire!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    In a few hours, I'll be packing up and heading out to the first weekend of faire!
    Should we say "faire thee well"?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

"Have fun storming the castle!"

Long weekend for most of Canada, have fun at the fair Gillian, everyone have a good weekend.

And tomorrow we'll be heading off to Yellowstone!

Not that I could do it this year, but it's annoying to me that your Faire is so awkward for me to get to from Port Townsend.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Long weekend for most of Canada, have fun at the fair Gillian, everyone have a good weekend.
    Our calendars at work say "Civic Holiday (Canada)", which sounds terribly non-specific.
    Is the holiday for a particular reason, or did the Government decide the country needed a holiday in August?

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Our calendars at work say "Civic Holiday (Canada)", which sounds terribly non-specific.
    Is the holiday for a particular reason, or did the Government decide the country needed a holiday in August?
    Probably the latter. 35 years ago I worked for an American company which had most of its manufacturing capability in Canada. It took me very little time to learn that on one Monday per month, the Canadian group was going to be "on holiday".

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    It is called something different in each province, here in New Brunswick it is called New Brunswick day. Nova Scotia I heard is kind of odd they call it natal day. I person I worked with in Halifax said the cities were the only ones that the holiday all across Canada which is wrong but she was kind of stuck up. The Federal government just wanted to give a holiday in August so people could have a weekday together to enjoy during the summer before labor day.

The best thing I have ever done is canceled my landline. I now have a ready phone number to give to people I don't know or care about. It comes up more often than you'd think.
    Solfe

Our big trip has begun! And my niece and husband who are going with us are even less prepared than I was!

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    The best thing I have ever done is canceled my landline. I now have a ready phone number to give to people I don't know or care about. It comes up more often than you'd think.
    Isnít that just giving out someone elseís phone number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faire was lovely! Yesterday was cooler than it was supposed to be, and the shirt I made that we all agreed would breathe either beautifully or not at all breathed beautifully! Though I did have a sweaty circle when I took off my (leather) belt at the end of the day.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Third night on the road to The Most Wonderful Place On Earth with my niece and nephew-in-law. I assigned them to find us places to eat and they've found some awesome restaurants! Today we lunched at The HobNob in Missoula Montana. It was great. The previous trip we had wound up at the Cracker Barrel, which was not great.
    Tomorrow we will be challenging the Beartooth Highway on the way into the park. It brings back memories of my childhood.

The cable/satellite is not working at this hotel. That's not making me unhappy at all.

Third night on the road to The Most Wonderful Place On Earth with my niece and nephew-in-law. I assigned them to find us places to eat and they've found some awesome restaurants! Today we lunched at The HobNob in Missoula Montana. It was great. The previous trip we had wound up at the Cracker Barrel, which was not great.
    Tomorrow we will be challenging the Beartooth Highway on the way into the park. It brings back memories of my childhood.

The cable/satellite is not working at this hotel. That's not making me unhappy at all.
    I had a look at "The HobNob" on-line. The lunch menu looks very interesting - in a nice way.

Third night on the road to The Most Wonderful Place On Earth ...
    Isn't that Disneyland?

Hey, I tumbled to you going to Yellowstone too late. A fellow I work with is there this week with his wife and kids. If you see a nice Indian family, father's an engineer and mother's a doctor, say "Hi" for me.

... The cable/satellite is not working at this hotel. That's not making me unhappy at all.
    Considering the news lately, I envy you.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

A few years ago, a social worker looked at my pattern collection and told me she considered it hoarding behaviour. (I have literally hundreds of patterns.) It once again gives me great satisfaction to justify the collection's existence; after months of searching for the right pattern to make a shirt for the Ren faire for a friend of Simon's, I found it. I bought it in college. I'd been searching in-print patterns, you see, and hadn't gone back into the archives yet. This morning, I woke up enough before the kids did to actually take some time to look in the drawers--another argument that it isn't hoarding is that they're actually organized, or at least they are when I have the wherewithal to spend time organizing, which is definitely not a summer activity. (I iron the pieces flat and refold them so that the important information is visible without unfolding the pattern piece.) The fabric is just slightly too small, so her sleeves are going to be a bit short, but given I'd bought the fabric at Goodwill without knowing how much of it there was, it's a lovely set of circumstances all the way around.

"You can't erase icing."

We have just watched an eruption of Old Faithful from our room in th Old Faithful Inn!
    I've wanted to do that my whole life.