Page 150 of 154 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,500 of 4593

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I found fruiting raspberry bushes in our yard last weekend. We never planted any, anywhere, at any time and haven't seen them at all around our place during the last 14-plus years. I loathe raspberries...but The Wife loves 'em and it made me happy to see her so delighted and surprised about the find.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We have just watched an eruption of Old Faithful from our room in th Old Faithful Inn!
    I've wanted to do that my whole life.
    In netspeak, I am so jelly.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I found fruiting raspberry bushes in our yard last weekend. We never planted any, anywhere, at any time and haven't seen them at all around our place during the last 14-plus years. I loathe raspberries...but The Wife loves 'em and it made me happy to see her so delighted and surprised about the find.
    Hmmm, jam!
    Perhaps if you tell her the seeds came from a bird's cloaca...
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    In netspeak, I am so jelly.
    I'm jelly of the waitress in the OF Inn bar, who just brought me a glass of wine. She lives here year round.

I'm jelly of the waitress in the OF Inn bar, who just brought me a glass of wine. She lives here year round.
    My life is meaningless.

There is rain coming down, just reading and watching TV. All I have to now how to figure to wake myself in the morning.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Perhaps if you tell her the seeds came from a bird's cloaca...
    Have you been eavesdropping like Google??? We had that very discussion.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Civilization! The world of Air Conditioning! WiFi! Cell Phone Bandwidth! Television!

Because we've just been four days in Yellowstone National Park! The world of Bison! Geysers! Elk! Scenery! Oh, and lots and lots of people.

Be forewarned: You can probably expect lots of posts about how wonderful it was. With pictures. And in various threads.

Also happy: We are now at a family reunion, getting together with cousins from my mother's side. Nice to see folks.

I look forward to colorful pictures of Yellowstone. Were the rocks more white than yellow? Just curious.
    Last edited by George; 2019-Aug-12 at 03:54 PM.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Saturday, I got to flirt with faire's King of Spain and do my Saturday Script Read with my online friends on the same day. It's a different kind of happiness than having just been at faire all weekend would have been, but it was really nice. Also, Irene refused to play along with him, which was adorable. (We have Philip of Spain running around our faire as a suitor to Queen Elizabeth, and the guy playing him is nothing at all like the real guy, thank goodness. He's a lot more fun, though there was someone standing in his pavilion going on about how Elizabeth should marry Philip so he could bring all the heathens to the cleansing fires or what have you. Because there's got to be someone acknowledging that while we're using Mexican slang at one another!) The kids loved the Punch and Judy show, again, and Simon climbed all the way to the top of the climbing wall this year. Though the guy did give him an extra go or two to try, since we were there first thing in the morning and no one was in line.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I look forward to colorful pictures of Yellowstone. Were the rocks more white than yellow? Just curious.
    All colors you can imagine. The thermally affected rocks tend toward white. The obsidian is black. And then there are all the bacterial colors in the springs. Just look up grand prismatic spring.

All colors you can imagine. The thermally affected rocks tend toward white. The obsidian is black. And then there are all the bacterial colors in the springs. Just look up grand prismatic spring.
    I do photobooks for most of our trips. Our last trip to Yellowstone I did two. One was more in a traditional photo album style, the other was entitled "Yellowstone Colors" and organized photos by rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, and then black and white and all (with the Grand Prismatic Spring).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I do photobooks for most of our trips. Our last trip to Yellowstone I did two. One was more in a traditional photo album style, the other was entitled "Yellowstone Colors" and organized photos by rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, and then black and white and all (with the Grand Prismatic Spring).
    That sounds awesome! We are now in the Tetons and have FINALLY seen a moose. In fact, two moose. Mooses. Meese. Whatever.

That sounds awesome! We are now in the Tetons and have FINALLY seen a moose. In fact, two moose. Mooses. Meese. Whatever.
    On our trip, we saw a moose on Wilson-Moose Road, just north of Jackson (we had been told it was a good area for meeses).

Which means youíve probably experienced a moose jam; thatís the lingo in Jackson WY for the cars that stop whenever fauna amble near the roadway.

Often moose. Sometimes bear.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Which means you’ve probably experienced a moose jam; that’s the lingo in Jackson WY for the cars that stop whenever fauna amble near the roadway.

Often moose. Sometimes bear.
    Bison jams seemed the most common in Yellowstone.

I thought it was moosi, from the Latin.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I'll bet that Noah had that problem. "All right, bring on two …, two … err? Bring me a moose. then, bring me another one."

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I'll bet that Noah had that problem. "All right, bring on two …, two … err? Bring me a moose. then, bring me another one."
    Actually he might have had bigger problems than that. I'm sure there was no word for moose in ancient Hebrew!
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Bison jams seemed the most common in Yellowstone.
    Very much so. Some of them will wander into the middle of the road and lie down.

ETA: I grew up not far from Yellowstone and we went at least a couple of times a year when I was a kid. You almost never saw bison then, 50-60 years ago. You did, however, have bears begging from cars.

Dragons may not compete with moose but this is what I call a Science Fiction bookshop sign. We saw it yesterday in Stockholm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4709 (2).JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	791.5 KB 
ID:	24469
    Last edited by ozduck; 2019-Aug-14 at 06:11 AM.

Very much so. Some of them will wander into the middle of the road and lie down.
    I remember quite clearly driving through a wildlife preserve and encountering a wandering rhinoceros ... which decided it needed a good backscratch ... and our front bumper was the perfect device for it.

ETA: I grew up not far from Yellowstone and we went at least a couple of times a year when I was a kid. You almost never saw bison then, 50-60 years ago. You did, however, have bears begging from cars.
    I now have this mental image of bears driving around in cars begging for handouts. Too much Non Sequitur.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

I have, in fact, seen a bear in a car in Yellowstone.

I watched a Disney movie about bears not long ago that presented some of the problems with begging bears, but stealing cars was not, I believe, on the list.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I think there's a Three Stooges short that ends with a bear jumping into their automobile and scaring them off. We last see the bear calmly signaling a left turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyVWkV1buwU
    Check around the 16-minute mark.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheBear.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	24471
    Last edited by DonM435; 2019-Aug-15 at 02:56 AM.

That moment when I know the woodsplitter gas tank is about to be empty.

Won an auction for a Casio PB-700 (actually two; one working, one not) with the FA-11 printer tape deck. Manual and travel case even.

Bliss.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Won an auction for a Casio PB-700 (actually two; one working, one not) with the FA-11 printer tape deck. Manual and travel case even.

Bliss.
    Most times the manual just gets tossed, lucky find.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Most times the manual just gets tossed, lucky find.
    I had a co-worker once who bought a top-of-the-line TI calculator. He was very proud of it. But one day he left it on his desk when he went home. The next morning it was gone.

He was furious that someone would steal a co-worker's calculator. In hopes of shaming the thief into returning the calculator, he put a sarcastic note on the hallway bulletin board, ended it with "You might as well have the charger, too," and hung the charger.

The next morning the charger was gone, and scribbled on his note was, "Thanks. Do you have the manual?"
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

We are home from vacation, 12 days. Had a wonderful time visiting Yellowstone, Family, the Tetons, and more Family. But it's so good to be home with our kitties!

Homecoming story number 1: The cat-sitter was to have picked up the mail, but forgot. We swung by the mail box on the way in. The carrier was just getting in her car. I looked in the box and found it empty. The mail carrier got out and said "I have your mail!" She was worried it hadn't been picked up. If we'd been 30 seconds later I'd have had to go to the Post Office for it.

Homecoming story number 2: On arrival we came in and were greeted by exactly no cats. We started calling and after a couple of minutes one of them came out. Looked in the usual places for the other, no cat. I texted the sitter to ask when he'd last seen her. He replied he'd only seen the other one. Uh-Oh. A bit more looking and I called him.
    "So you only just saw the one?"
    "Yes, do you think she could have gotten out? Now I'm worried."
    "So are we. We haven't done a thorough search but..."
    MEOW! MEOW, MEOW, MEOW!
    Just where HAVE you two been! MEOW!

All's well.

ETA: Purring on my lap now. All is very well.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2019-Aug-15 at 10:03 PM.