Page 190 of 196 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,700 of 5864

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We got vaccinated!
    Good to hear.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I'm very happy for you both!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We got vaccinated!
    The herd thanks you.

A well 'preserved' Roman Ceremonial Chariot has been found just outside the environs of Pompeii. It certainly shows that there is still much of interest to be uncovered there. That is not really a surprise to anyone who has been there or watched documentaries about it but it is always nice to have it confirmed. (Perhaps one day they will discover the ruins of the domus of Lobus Caecilius) (Dr Who reference I am afraid)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56222992

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    You could try dressing up as each other. What could go wrong?
    Is that experience talking?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    (Perhaps one day they will discover the ruins of the domus of Lobus Caecilius) (Dr Who reference I am afraid)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56222992
    Me no speak Celtic, Sweetheart!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Morty, in all his re-lighted glory!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morty.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	25928
    Note that the antlers are a slightly different color. That's because I retained the original incandescent bulbs, while those on the body are new LED ones. I've a string of matching LED ones for the antlers if I need them in the future.

Why, yes that IS an Easter tree he's standing in front of!

Name:	tree.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	25929
    Cool, the thumbnail is sideways. I wonder if it'll still be if I click on it after saving....

ETA: Oh, lovely! It's sideways when I'm editing, upright in the thread, then sideways when I click on it! Maybe I'll do another so you can see it in its glory.

ETAA: Ok, here goes:

Name:	tree2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	305.9 KB 
ID:	25930
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Hmm, maybe I'll pull the miniature fake tree out of storage and put it up for Easter too.

We had to change our appointments, but my whole family got our first vaccination today!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Today is a teacher in-service day for Simon's school. It's 9 AM, and Irene is just making waking up noises--which she probably wouldn't be if I hadn't propped my door open so the cats could go in and out without my having to get up. It means I've had some quiet time to myself with no obligations, though I did spend it doing some writing for my column this afternoon.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

An old Friend/boss giving a talk about making robotic telescopes sorry for posting late.
    https://youtu.be/ORShrvubFbY
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

This cracks me up. My mother-in-law is very abrasive but can be super nice. She also has a memory like an elephant, even for trivial things. The other day she groused about someone dirtying her good cast iron fry pan at a birthday party. Her main complaint was that she served plenty of food, therefore there was no reason for one of her guests to get out and use a fry pan. This topic has come up at every birthday party she's hosted for the past 8 years. And it makes my daughter giggle like a loon.

8 years ago, at my wife's birthday party, I taught my daughter to fish. She caught a bass in the lake and showed it around the party. My mother-in-law was amazed she caught a fish but also said something to the effect of "If you don't put that back, you'll have to eat it." My daughter said "ew!" and ran off the fish. About an hour later, the dirty frying pan was discovered. My mother-in-law went on a mad hunt trying to figure out who used her good frying pan in the middle of a birthday party. As I offered to wash it for her, my daughter quietly snuck in the kitchen with a dirty plate for me to wash and a bag of something wet. I immediately intercepted the paper bag and took it to the outside garbage can so that it wouldn't stink up the kitchen.

To this day, my wife asks why Catherine giggles every time Mimi mentions the frying pan and we tell her why. She says, "you two are so full of it," which makes both of us laugh even harder.
    Solfe

That reminds me of a story my mother once told me. One time she and my father visited a cousin of hers that lived near a river. They fished, and virtually every meal had fish as the meat dish. After a few days my parents were getting tired of the taste of fish and went out and bought really good steaks for everyone. The cousin insisted on cooking them, and when they ate the steaks at dinner they tasted like . . . fish. It seems she used cast iron pans that absorbed the fish flavor and any oil in the kitchen was from fish. The cousin cooked the steak basically like she would cook fish.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'm ordering a mug from a friend who's a potter. Sandy, as she now wants to be called, had said something a while back about my Perry Mason mug. Which I don't have. So I've ordered a mug from this friend with "incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial"--Hamilton Burger's favourite objection--on it. And another friend and I have decided we're going to drive down--maybe an hour and a half each way?--to get it. No kids. Just the two of us. It'll be the first time we've done something like that in over a year.

"You can't erase icing."

Our cats always start pestering us to let them out onto the porch around 3 p.m. (Actually, they keep trying to move the event earlier and earlier. However, this is the current Pester Time.)

However, due to the daylight savings change, today they still think it's 2:47 p.m., not 3:47.

I outwitted them at last. Heck, it's about time anyway.

3 years after separation, finally sold our house (oh gosh did I just delete a lot I typed about that). Can now get on with divorce paperwork.

Freeeeeddddooooom!
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    3 years after separation, finally sold our house (oh gosh did I just delete a lot I typed about that). Can now get on with divorce paperwork.

Freeeeeddddooooom!
    I typed and deleted some stuff as well because of the sad circumstances that have forced this sale but I will say congratulations on the house sale and hope that everything now goes forward with a minimum of hassles.

Our kitten likes to us know when she is present. It starts at bedtime. She hops up on the bed when I get home and waits for me to climb up. Then she sits on my chest kneading away. After about 10 minutes, she gets bored and moves on to my wife's hair. Apparently this is more amusing, because it can go on for a half hour. Once that is done, she moves on to the dog. Literally, on top of the dog. The dog tolerates the kneading, but cannot tolerate the kitten purring. The moment that starts, she barks.

The whole show ends until 4:00 am when the whole process starts again. The only difference is the dog will whine a bit before barking.

The encore begins at about 5:45 am when the kitten makes straight for the dog. She stands up on her back feet and feels around on the bed for the dogs nose and gives it a little swat. The dog flips out and tries to hide between, then under me and my wife. Usually, that is when my wife would wake up anyway. Just to put this in perspective, these are the sleep hating beasts:

Name:	dog and cat.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	25955

The dog easily has 40 to 50 lbs on the cat.
    Solfe

Freeeeeddddooooom!
    My sister got divorced almost 4 years ago, thought it was all done. But one night she got a call out of the blue, seems XBIL forgot to take her name off his car registration. So she had to sign papers so he could trade it in.

You can bet he heard about that the next day.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    My sister got divorced almost 4 years ago, thought it was all done. But one night she got a call out of the blue, seems XBIL forgot to take her name off his car registration. So she had to sign papers so he could trade it in.

You can bet he heard about that the next day.
    My sister-in-law never changed her last name with the social security administration but did change it with the DMV. Every year at tax time, her husband would get an ominous letter from the IRS. She'd take it and "fix it". I knew the divorce was in the cards.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Our kitten likes to us know when she is present. It starts at bedtime. [...]

The whole show ends until 4:00 am when the whole process starts again. The only difference is the dog will whine a bit before barking.

The encore begins at about 5:45 am when the kitten makes straight for the dog.[...]
    So . . . when do you actually sleep? Or is this just occasional? I can see it being amusing occasionally, but I think I would keep the animals in a separate area for bedtime if it happened often.

Oh, btw, various cats I’ve had like kneeding hair/scalp. I think they like finding actual regions of fur on us mostly hairless oddly shaped big cats (as I think they see us).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    So . . . when do you actually sleep? Or is this just occasional? I can see it being amusing occasionally, but I think I would keep the animals in a separate area for bedtime if it happened often.

Oh, btw, various cats I’ve had like kneeding hair/scalp. I think they like finding actual regions of fur on us mostly hairless oddly shaped big cats (as I think they see us).
    I sleep very little. I work 2:30-11:30 and write for an hour or so. I usually hit the sack at 2 am, wake up at 4 for the "kitten dance party" then say goodbye to my wife at 5:45 am. I don't get up until 9:30 most days. Somehow, I have reverted to my college days.

The "kitten" is now about 9 or 10 months old, this has been going on for about 6-7 months. The kitten belongs to my son and since he left for boot camp, she has stepped up the performance with an extra "dance party" for us. We think she was waking all of the kids at about 4 am but since she can't find her boy, she finds the dog.

What makes the whole thing more comical is we have an older cat, Benny. He is not real playful until he is. He watches these shenanigans from the doorway then meows as he picks out a choice spot on the bed once the ruckus is over. Usually, in my wife's arms but if she doesn't cooperate he tries to ram himself under my arm. If neither of us are game, he sleeps at the foot of the bed with the dog. The dog loves him. He's a really good boy and the dog loves, loves, loves him. They are a good pair. At one point we had to stop Tori from grooming Benny, because he looks ridiculous when wet.

Name:	benny 1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	25958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benny 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	378.3 KB 
ID:	25959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	benny 3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	25960

He has this thing for belly rubs. If he's desperate, he'll call the dog for one. She'll nuzzle him a bit then start barking so we all know that he needs a belly rub. It's a real distinctive bark, so we all know what to do. The dog will try to herd people to him if no one responds. Benny doesn't like that much because Tori will walk all over him trying to get a person to pet him. She's kind of smart, but really wild.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-Mar-16 at 05:53 AM.
    Solfe

Did I mention my wife sleeps through two of the three dance parties? That is kind of amazingly annoying.

The term "kitten dance party" is a family joke. When my daughter was little, she asked for a Playstation game called "Kitten Dance Party". We went nuts looking for it. It didn't seem to exist until I spotted it at a local dollar store. A dollar Playstation game? Sounds too good to be true. And it is. It was actually a DVD of kittens on a farm. It seemed to be a very low quality knock off the TV show, "Too Cute" in a PS4 box. I've never seen such a thing before or since.
    Solfe

Did I mention my wife sleeps through two of the three dance parties?
    I really need to start reading the posts in the correct order, instead of from the bottom up.

I had a very different picture of what was going on here at first.
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

Freeeeeddddooooom!
    Very nice to have that out of the way!

I enjoy stories about messages in bottles being found, especially when the finder is able to track down the sender. Here's another one:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ands-1.5950174

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Did I mention my wife sleeps through two of the three dance parties?
    I really need to start reading the posts in the correct order, instead of from the bottom up.

I had a very different picture of what was going on here at first.
    Heh, that made me laugh.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My sister-in-law never changed her last name with the social security administration but did change it with the DMV. Every year at tax time, her husband would get an ominous letter from the IRS. She'd take it and "fix it". I knew the divorce was in the cards.
    My wife never changed her name. The first two decades of dealing with HM Revenue & Customs were the worst. Now it has settled down to a dull roar.

Grant Hutchison

Yesterday, Graham and I spent about half an hour wandering around our yard together, talking about what we want to fix up. I'd bought windchimes--I only wanted one set, but they always remind me of my grandmother, who had dozens--and Sandy was sitting outside, listening to them. Well, watching, she said. And Zane was at his friend's house around the corner; he might be having a sleepover there tomorrow. It was really nice. This summer, we'll have a nice place for gatherings--small, and socially distanced if need be, but I can actually expect to have social time in my own space for the first time in a very, very long time.

"You can't erase icing."

The simple joy of popping bubble wrap. The kind with the big bubbles. It's been one of those days.