Page 51 of 157 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 4689

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

The move continues. A major carload of stuff came across the water again today. It occurred to me this afternoon that if all goes according to plan and the new house just above this one is our last, we will NEVER have used a moving company.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I've passed the background check, and have been cleared to begin my new job!

I didn't expect any issues; I'm not a felon or illicit drug user, and I didn't lie about my education or employment history.
    Still, it's a nice to pass this hurdle... especially since I've tendered my resignation for the current job.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I've passed the background check, and have been cleared to begin my new job!

I didn't expect any issues; I'm not a felon or illicit drug user, and I didn't lie about my education or employment history.
    Still, it's a nice to pass this hurdle... especially since I've tendered my resignation for the current job.
    Congratulations.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    Congratulations.
    Thank you.

The neigborhood garage sale is OVER. That's an A-number-one Make-Me-Happy right there. I've been working and stressing on it for a couple of weeks and it's OVER.

And we also have an extra $500 in our pockets. And got rid of a bunch of stuff we didn't want and someone else did. In some cases, someone else actually NEEDED it. Like the bed I sold to the neighbor two minutes after opening the garage doors at 7:30 AM. In other cases, like the broken weedeater I gave to the Asian couple, I probably should have been paying them to take it. I actually felt a bit guilty about that, seeing as how they bought about $100 worth of other stuff.

And there was some stuff I sold too cheap, but was happy to see it go to a good home. Like all my HO train stuff. I only got $25, but the guy was thrilled to have it and the probability of my using it again was next to nil. I even sold my 1972 GI stereo!

Finally, to celebrate we went out and I had a steak. For the first time in a couple of years. Diet, Schmiet. I'd promised myself the steak when I got down to 200 and I'm at 190 now anyhow.

I keep thinking about doing a yard sale, but we don't have a yard.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Do you have any rummage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

My daughter recently wrote-off her car in accident - 8 months pregnant but luckily no-one hurt and she had a healthy boy 4 days ago, actually another reason to be happy - so she borrowed our second car while waiting to replace the car.

Today her partner took their 2 1/2 year old shopping with him and managed to look the keys in the car along with my granddaughter. My daughter rang me to go and rescue him with the spare keys - forgetting that I didn't actually have a car at home - she only came home from the hospital yesterday with her son so is still a little distracted.

I am a member of the local auto club - RAC of WA - and rang them up. They treated it a a "priority call" and got to the car within less than 5 minutes and had the car unlocked in less than 2 minutes. Excellent service and I completed a compliments for their staff. Saved me the cost of a new car window and of upsetting my granddaughter by having to a break a window with her in the car. Thank goodness for mobile phones and paying my membership fees. If it had been summer we probably wouldn't have waited for the auto-club.

I'm glad it worked out so well for your granddaughter, and the car. Props to the RAC.

I'm reminded of the Aggie who took his wife and two kids to the shopping mall. He parked the car, got out, locked and closed the door. Then he realized he'd left the keys in the ignition.

He tried all the doors. No luck.

He searched his pockets for a spare. No luck.

Finally, he was forced to use the "master key." He found a large rock and broke a window. He reached inside and unlocked the door.

His wife and kids were very upset but also grateful. They'd been locked inside that car for nearly 15 minutes.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    My daughter recently wrote-off her car in accident - 8 months pregnant but luckily no-one hurt and she had a healthy boy 4 days ago, actually another reason to be happy - so she borrowed our second car while waiting to replace the car.
    Congrats on the new grandchild and on everything working out.

@ Jim - <groan>
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Thanks for the good wishes Jim & Swift.

I must admit the use of "aggie" mystifies me - google tells me related to Texas A & M University - some sort of stereotype?

Thanks for the good wishes Jim & Swift.

I must admit the use of "aggie" mystifies me - google tells me related to Texas A & M University - some sort of stereotype?
    I'd imagine that this joke exists in many forms with a different cast.

At South Carolina they told of the Clemson fan who went to the big game and locked his keys inside his car. He phoned for help. "Please hurry. It's a convertible, the top's down, and it's fixin' to rain any minute!"

Agricultural Engineer - Ag. E. for short. Or if you say it out loud it sounds like "Aggie".
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

I eventually found the Ag. E = "aggie" relationship but I hadn't before read of "aggie", or for that matter a Clemson fan, being used as the "yokel" character in a joke. Perhaps I need to update my reading list from US writers of the 20's, 30"s & 40's to a more modern selection

Where I went to university it was the engineers that were made fun of but one English said, "having a battle wits with an engineer is like have a fight with a three lagged dog, it is just unfair."
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Finding a Cherry Truffle Cake on the marked-down rack for $2.99. [original cost $13.99]

Quote Originally Posted by mkline55 View Post
    Agricultural Engineer - Ag. E. for short. Or if you say it out loud it sounds like "Aggie".
    Reminds me of the time back in school when a professor pointed out that I was a "Double-E" major, not an "E-E major".

...because we are men, not mice.

In music, it's drummers; the variant I'd heard was "Did you hear about the time the guitarist locked his keys in the car? It took him half an hour to get the drummer out."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

An "Aggie" is someone who attended Texas A&M University. I've heard the joke in many forms, depending on what group you wished to be the butt of the joke. I know Jim is from Texas and I suspect he is an Aggie, and felt it a safe group to target, since he is one.

I don't like the word "Aggie"; always reminds me of a long-ago boyfriend. Word association I'd rather forget.

See, to me, aggie brings up images of a marble.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I'm not an aggie, I just attended Moo U.

fiddleheads, hfiddleheads, fiddleheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    See, to me, aggie brings up images of a marble.
    Yeah. I wouldn't have known it but for that line in The Music Man:

"Marbles. Six steelies, eight aggies, a dozen pee-wees, and a great big glassie with the American flag in the middle."
    He threatens to drop them on the library floor.

I finished my first year of grad school. I don't know how well I did on my projects but at least tomorrow I will wake up and not have to do any more, and my mom will come in the afternoon to take me home.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I finished my first year of grad school. I don't know how well I did on my projects but at least tomorrow I will wake up and not have to do any more, and my mom will come in the afternoon to take me home.
    Congratulations, and good luck on your projects!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Where I went to university it was the engineers that were made fun of but one English said, "having a battle wits with an engineer is like have a fight with a three lagged dog, it is just unfair."
    I recall that quote from an old TV show, The Guns of Will Sonnet, starring Walter Brennan. The way he said it, "Having a battle of wits with you would be like fighting an unarmed man."

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    An "Aggie" is someone who attended Texas A&M University. I've heard the joke in many forms, depending on what group you wished to be the butt of the joke. I know Jim is from Texas and I suspect he is an Aggie, and felt it a safe group to target, since he is one.
    Nope, University of Texas ... a Teasip. (I have a step-brother who is an Aggie, and my best friend from college married one.)

ETA: If I were an Aggie, I'd have complained about the color chosen for Mod names. As a Teasip, I find it quite satisfying.
    Last edited by Jim; 2016-May-17 at 02:03 PM. Reason: ETA
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post

Do you have the whole summer off, or just a couple of weeks. I don't think I ever had more than 2 weeks off for the whole 4 years I was in grad school, but that may have been mostly the way my advisor liked to run things.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Do you have the whole summer off, or just a couple of weeks. I don't think I ever had more than 2 weeks off for the whole 4 years I was in grad school, but that may have been mostly the way my advisor liked to run things.
    A few weeks before I leave for a dig.

I dig it.