Page 52 of 156 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 4666

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I grok that dig.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

For about four years now, a relationship with a friend has been strained by the fact that her husband said something to me that might have been in my top-ten Cruelest Things Anyone Ever Said to Me list. She agrees that I'm in the right; she agrees that it's perfectly reasonable of me to hold the grudge, even. But it's still not easy for her to have a friend who basically hasn't been speaking to her husband. Today, he actually apologized. He said he hadn't thought through what he was saying and certainly hadn't thought about the situation I was in at the time, which is part of what made it so bad, and he was wrong. One of the reasons I have never entirely been his biggest fan was that he has a hard time seeing things from other people's perspectives, so this was especially nice.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Sometimes, it's best to send a private note to someone (who has apologized) and say " Let's you and I forget this happened"
    We should all live by the rule ..." Do as you would be done by,.....and you will get by . "
    Life is more than being right. It should also be reflected in our ability to rise above a situation and make our immediate world a truly better place. Every so often, people stop and think about things....and change. Simple as that.
    Better than painting one into a corner with no place to go.
    May good things come to you and those you love.

Learning new and fascinating facts about space makes me happy. I just recently started learning about space, before that I was totally clueless to all of the wonders of the universe!

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Hi LadyJupiter,
    Welcome to CQ!

Best,
    dave

I got some catapult work in yesterday! That always makes me happy.

First up was a truly boring task. Specifically, boring 4.5" holes in a pair of plastic plates. These are spare thrust bearings for the big torsion machine. I hope I never need them in the field because it would mean unwinding the torsion bundle.

Next I spent at least an hour looking at parts from the smaller trebuchet -- specifically the counterweight arm which LookingSkyward and I managed to seriously damage last year. I've already done some work on it but have been mentally struggling since last October with exactly how to improve the stiffness of the thing. I did absolutely no physical work on it yesterday but I now know where I'm going. It's going to be a fair amount of work, more than some other options, but will provide a good product.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJupiter View Post
    Learning new and fascinating facts about space makes me happy. I just recently started learning about space, before that I was totally clueless to all of the wonders of the universe!
    You've come to the right place, the amount of knowledge and enthusiasm for space and astronomy here is incredible. There are many volumes of information available here and if you need more you can easily ask more specific questions.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

My brothers are both home today, and we went for a nice walk on the backroads!

The Tweets of a young meteorologist who - today - is traveling about the Texas panhandle. He's headed SW. Gorgeous HUGE thunderclouds. Really appreciate his willingness to share and enthusiasm.

We just found out this afternoon that Simon's set for preschool next school year. The joy is tempered a bit by the fact that he qualifies for free preschool due to his speech and social delays, but the point is that he'll be continuing to get the help he needs, and we won't be out-of-pocket for it. The Olympia School District is excellent, and this makes me even more determined that we are not moving out by Graham's mom, because we are staying in this district!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Great news , Gillianren All shall be well .

Today is my last day at my current job.
    I'm glad to getting off this treadmill.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Today is my last day at my current job.
    I'm glad to getting off this treadmill.
    That must feel good. Hope all goes well for you.

It's my last night in Prague, travelling with my sisters on the first holiday we've taken together since our childhood. We stopped at one point at a sidewalk cafe and were having wine. I was content to watch the crowds of people coming off the Charles Bridge. Simple joys.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    That must feel good. Hope all goes well for you.

It's my last night in Prague, travelling with my sisters on the first holiday we've taken together since our childhood. We stopped at one point at a sidewalk cafe and were having wine. I was content to watch the crowds of people coming off the Charles Bridge. Simple joys.
    Ah, I like Prague. Then it seemed to get taken over by stag weekends from the UK - a lot of noise all day and night in the centre of town. Has that changed?

Grant Hutchison

We noticed the stag parties. It is certainly a popular destination for people of many different nationalities. A man from Copenhagen told us that the city's police had an arrangement wherein Danish police would work with them when large numbers of students from Denmark were expected because there had been problems in the past.

Karma. Every so often, it works.

There is a community park about a block from our house, large enough for three LL baseball diamonds and a play area. For some reason, there are folks who think it is okay to drive their cars onto the grass. Many are baseball coaches who just can't possibly lug all their equipment 200 feet from the parking lot, but some are folks who just seem to find it kewl to drive on the grass, leaving patterns in their wakes.

So Sunday I'm walking my dog past that park and I see a car stopped in the middle of it. There are five people standing around it, like they're unloading equipment. Man, I thought, if only they'd get stuck.

Then one of the five started walking my general direction ... toward the parking lot ... and his wrecker! I then noticed that three of the remaining four people at the car were in dark uniforms, and that three constable cars were parked on the street. As we walked by, a city cop pulled into the lot.

Yes!

I finished my walk with a smile.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

There is a community park about a block from our house, large enough for three LL baseball diamonds and a play area. For some reason, there are folks who think it is okay to drive their cars onto the grass. Many are baseball coaches who just can't possibly lug all their equipment 200 feet from the parking lot, but some are folks who just seem to find it kewl to drive on the grass, leaving patterns in their wakes.

So Sunday I'm walking my dog past that park and I see a car stopped in the middle of it. There are five people standing around it, like they're unloading equipment. Man, I thought, if only they'd get stuck.

Then one of the five started walking my general direction ... toward the parking lot ... and his wrecker! I then noticed that three of the remaining four people at the car were in dark uniforms, and that three constable cars were parked on the street. As we walked by, a city cop pulled into the lot.

Yes!

here is a song that might fit the situation.
    https://youtu.be/QCcWzLAcv4o
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Went to the pool with Simon today. He taught himself how to swim!

"You can't erase icing."

My wife gave me a Lee Valley gift card for our anniversary last month and I put it toward a router plane. It was on back order for a bit but it arrived today. Within 15 minutes of having it out of the box, I had cut a test hinge mortise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    That's fantastic! :-D

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Yes!

Vaguely reminiscent of an incident on a beach some years ago. We were walking along and a car drove into a stretch of soft sand and got stuck. The driver implored the passersby to help him out. We pushed and dug and eventually got the car out. Not so much as a "thank you". We were all still standing there when the same car and driver came back and got stuck in the same hole. We all laughed and walked away.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Very cool. And a very good thing, too. Best for kids to get comfortable in water.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    My wife gave me a Lee Valley gift card for our anniversary last month and I put it toward a router plane. It was on back order for a bit but it arrived today. Within 15 minutes of having it out of the box, I had cut a test hinge mortise.
    Also cool. Even if I have only the vaguest idea what you are talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Very cool. And a very good thing, too. Best for kids to get comfortable in water.
    We've been making vague noises about seeking out swimming lessons, but it seems we don't have to. He's no Mark Spitz just yet, and indeed he can't float without his life jacket on just yet. (He got me to agree to let him try, provided it was in the shallow end and I was right there.) Still, he can move all the way around the pool on his own, and using his arms as well will come in time.

"You can't erase icing."

I just had to remind myself he's not quite yet three! Trying without the vest is a good idea, but approach with caution as you are doing.

We'll probably continue to try without the vest now and again over the course of the summer, but he's so skinny right now that floating is a challenge.

"You can't erase icing."

I turned on the Air Conditioning in my pickup truck a few days ago, only to find that the blower wouldn't run.
    So, why am I happy? Because I'd seen this problem before, nearly ten years ago, and actually remembered the solution.

Chrysler corporation designed a fan-speed control that switches high-power resistors in-line with the motor.
    Apparently, they knew the resistor pack was a probable failure point, and made it accessible from under the dashboard using a screw-driver.
    I didn't know this the first time, and paid something like $200 for the repair.

This time, all it took was a $10 part and 30 seconds of crawling under the dash.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

We found the hot-water switch in this apartment! No more freezing our skin off!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    We found the hot-water switch in this apartment! No more freezing our skin off!
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Couldn't choose between Banana Split ice cream or Praline Pecan ... so put both in the shopping cart.

Got to checkout: There's a 2 for $6.00 special on that brand of ice cream. Love surprises like that.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

You just can't beat a " two for "

My son has a date to the eighth grade formal. Amusingly, he got outted on Facebook.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2016-Jun-15 at 09:01 PM.
    Solfe