Page 82 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 5799

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I'm beginning to suspect that the physicians that make up my neuro team are just better overall physicians than my primary care physician. Or it's just an illusion caused by my seeing them much more often and that they are a team.

They actually discuss my case as a group and one had an epiphany while looking at all the things I'm being treated for individually and saw a constellation. Just when things were starting to get terrible.

Hey Dr. Grant! Are you up for a game of guess the symptoms challenge?

I feel so much better on this new treatment course that not just my family notices how much better I'm doing. Neighbors and shop keepers are commenting too! I was a sad puppy for a while there.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post

I feel so much better on this new treatment course that not just my family notices how much better I'm doing. Neighbors and shop keepers are commenting too! I was a sad puppy for a while there.
    Definitely not trivial.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

good to here it bigdon.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Thanks guys.

I haven't been posting because I've been throwing myself into physical therapy big time.

Taking the day off today because I need to rest.

And the head therapy people are trying to convince me that if I'm constantly having to check, and recheck my mental processes for telling stories and posting here, well maybe I just shouldn't post here. There are other places to tell stories. Not that I have any political or religious rants waiting to be cocked and fired. Honest. But there are street stories and such I'd like to tell and are not for the likes of junior high schoolers. (Or Oregonians in some cases.)

We're planning to do a dungeon crawl this weekend!

I've found no less than three under explored dungeons, I drew up some years ago, one four levels and the other two six level dungeons.

And at least 3/4 of the players planning to show weren't even alive when I drew these dungeons up!

I haven't hosted a big dungeon raid in years! Should be at least six to eight people.

There will be food and the quaffing of ale. Though no booze for the DM until after 9 PM. Keeps the game steadier.

Old dungeons, like many things, get better with age. Happy gaming.

Last night had our regular (weekly) D&D session. Have a great DM who makes interesting scenarios ... but I do miss having a good basic dungeon crawl.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Hey Dr. Grant! Are you up for a game of guess the symptoms challenge?
    I got enough of that at work, to be honest.

Grant Hutchison

The sound a bumble bee makes when it flies into window glass - a tiny little thwock!
    It's a sound associated with warm summer days and an absence of wind and rain, and it makes me feel gently contented.

The bee's experience is probably different.

Grant Hutchison

There are bees in the rhododendron bushes. We have a bush in front of our bedroom window, and the bees are contented enough so that you can duck between the bush and the window (to, say, have a conversation through it, now it's open) without disturbing them.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There are bees in the rhododendron bushes. We have a bush in front of our bedroom window, and the bees are contented enough so that you can duck between the bush and the window (to, say, have a conversation through it, now it's open) without disturbing them.
    I was born in the Netherlands, but raised in N.Z. from very young. At around 9 or 10 I was asked by classmates for some Dutch swear words. Asked my Mother that night for a good word.

Then for a week around school I was teaching kids to say "rhododendron".
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

I had friends in college who had grown up on or adjacent to Indian Reservations; one Crow, one Blackfoot. Neither was actually Native American but they were able to teach me some "good" words nonetheless. I think I remember a couple of Korean ones from my Army days as well.

At the moment I'm just happy to be home from my eye surgery trip, where I will watch the SpaceX launch soon and then take a nap with the kitties.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I got enough of that at work, to be honest.

Grant Hutchison
    Fair enough Doc.

My rather successful rodent pogrom has been supplemented by my neighbor's purchase of what seems to be one Greebo's litter mates. Bought specifically for the purpose. I first saw him last week. I've learned to speak chickadee recently and when I heard an alarm call I looked about for the two raptors that have been raising hell locally and instead saw this enormous grey tabby. The cat was dwelling on might have beens as he looked at the birds on my second story feeders but once his reverie broke he gave me a nice enough acknowledgement.

Also found out I don't have as many rats as I thought. I have really, really big mice. I still have no clue as to what the "fallen squirrels" are, but jumping Jiminy they're creepy! I think there is two of them but I might be wrong. Since the freaking things can teleport it's hard to tell.

And things are quieter on the porch now, with not as many nocturnal visitors from the local wildlife association.

A while back there was some serious bloodshed going on. It started when I noticed an "odd peanut" in one of the feeders as I was cleaning it and realized after poking it with a twig it was an owl cast!

Aside from what you'd expect in an owl cast there was a disturbing amount of bits of cloth. I would have to presume the owl caught and consumed a rat with nesting material in its mouth. Otherwise if I start finding buttons and molars with fused roots in them I'm moving back to the gangsters and drug dealers.

Found out something else I could have done without. Small birds take owl casts apart rapidly. I presume again, this time thinking they're using the stuff as nesting material. Saw it happen twice. The even steal the teeth.

I've had to wash blood off of my porch three times!

I think the owl may have moved on though.

I'm coming back to life!

I've hit the physical therapy hard enough that my doctors were pleased! My brother bought me an elliptical machine to exercise on and using it didn't aggravate my sciatica if I take my meds on schedule! I worked on it so hard my doctors canceled my formal physical therapy!

And after nearly three months I finally feel anabolic for the first time in over three years. I've watched my heart rate post work out go from 135 bpm after five minutes to 90 bpm after a full half hour run. Which, according to the machine is four miles and burns 110 cal. And I do that everyday now, except Sunday, and feel the need to boost to another plateau coming on.

I was motivated by a triple whammy several months back.

One of the doctors on my neuro-team diagnosed me as experiencing "deconditioning". A diagnosis of deconditioning is uglier than it sounds. But I kind of shrugged it off. Then I saw my main neurologist later that day. I told her what the other doctor said and after checking the computer she turned back to me and said;

"I have to concur. I've seen you at least four times a year for the last ten years. For one thing, your shoulders have collapsed."

And then that afternoon, as I was walking down the street, I ran into several members of my old moving crew! They were moving furniture at the Masonic Lodge. Wow, I was so happy I wanted to buy them all lunch...and they wouldn't let me.

And of course having the tact of furniture movers they couldn't help pointing out that now instead of looking like I photo-shopped myself my head looked to big for my body. Uh oh, I knew about that one.

When my children were young they watched Nickelodeon shows and then child actor Josh Peck was the Perpetual Fat Kid in several of them. In his late teens he finally lost the weight and shaped up and it was the same thing. His head looked too big after he lost all the weight. He even did a cameo on the Big Bang Theory years later. He appeared to be normal up until I recognized him. And then his head looked too big for his body again.

So yeah, that pushed me.

I didn't realize what twigs my legs had become until I finally got a calf muscle to swell from a work out. Everything below the calf muscle was a toothpick. I had grown a set of chicken legs!

My legs were one of my best features! I had thighs like Baryshnikov! But no more.

I had become...the Big Fig.

Hit it Hal! (Thirty second tv commercial, from the dinosaur days.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyI3IL46yq4

That was for Miss Kai.

What a fate. And I wasn't having it. Post-stroke Katherine Hepburn and her recovery were my role model.

So I finally got toned enough to risk the free weights. That's what Daddy was missing. Running on the elliptical is fine and toning and all but I don't get an endorphin rush from it. I almost do and that's frustrating Then after the run I started hitting the weights and THAT did it. I feel the addictive lure of resistance training starting to happen. It is a real thing. And my muscles squeeze out a lot of it. I "made an arm" yesterday and got people to step back! With exclamations! A cheap post work out trick, but still...

The elliptical workouts toned my abdomen so fast my guts didn't know which way to go for the longest time. They're still working out the new route.

At the moment I weigh 230 pounds with my abs shrinking and my muscles growing. My lower legs are pretty again and my thighs and butt are growing back but not quite back to normal.

I do have a knee getting sore, but pshaw!

Not that I'm body vain or anything like that.

And aside from free weights I've added running backwards to my regimen, with a goal of two miles. (If your legs aren't fit enough to run backwards for two miles then you aren't fit enough to step into a ring for twelve rounds.) This allows you to back pedal rapidly in a fight.

When I started the backwards run I could only do .15 miles. Now I can do .70 miles, and I only started 10 days ago

So a four mile run, a weight session, and then a two mile backwards run attempt are my daily routines.

I feel so differently alive that I'm wondering what all that other crap was about.

Yay, BigDon!

Don, I might need a DVD of this workout plan. I am starting to look like a avocado on toothpicks myself. I don't know where this spare tire came from.
    Solfe

Barbell medicine is a wonderful thing.

Great to hear, BD!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

That is good news, Don. I'm jealous. Most of my exercise is work related ... carrying a heavy load, running in circles, jumping to conclusions.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Finally got paid *, the woodpecker finally found a mate or gave up and I might have work around for the tiller.

*just found out from the supervisor that a guy doing another route was hit by a truck while on a bike so they are asking me to finish his route for him but to get the books I have go to nearby city to get them which for some reason my mother has to come along.(this does not make mr happy but just it went with what already posted here.)
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2017-Jun-07 at 05:23 PM.

I think I found the right career for my science knowledge also found the right school to train at too.
    http://radionicsinstitute.com/

You forgot the smiley.

Hardware stores.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The smell of DIY stores, for some reason. I sometimes wonder if they don't have an aerosol they put into the air on purpose.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Electronic stores and electronic departments, forgot gardening stores.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2017-Jun-08 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Hardware stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    The smell of DIY stores, for some reason. I sometimes wonder if they don't have an aerosol they put into the air on purpose.
    Yep, I agree on the smells of hardware and DIY stores, which can be broken down into their separate sections: lumber, paint, lawn & garden, etc.

For obvious reasons I think, I also like the smell of my hardwood supply shop. Gun shops, too with their smell of oils and solvents. I dabbled in fine arts for some years so art stores are similar in that respect. The smell of paper, pencils, pastels, and such evoke memories of many enjoyable hours.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I prefer the smell when you walk into a greenhouse but most of hardware stores are the big box stores so the do not have much of a smell.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post

CJSF
    Used Bookstore smell

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Used Bookstore smell
    Oh yes!

CJSF

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    [...] most of hardware stores are the big box stores so the do not have much of a smell.
    Yeah, I suppose I should clarify. I like the smell of old-school, mom & pop hardware stores...which are a vanishing breed. They're often small and crammed to the gills with products from A to Z, some of which have been on the shelves for years. In such a small space, the smells of oils, solvents, herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers, dust, old cardboard, and who-knows-what-else all combine to make a pretty unique olfactory experience. The really good ones might also sell live bait like worms, crickets, and maybe even minnows/shiners.

All that reminds me of something else that's extinct or nearly so: the old country stores of my youth. Part hardware store, grocery/convenience store, and gas station, perhaps with a 1- or 2-bay garage, they very often sold bait and a few fishing supplies, a few tires, and maybe even a little some hay and livestock feed. I have vivid memories of one such store near my grandmother's place that fit that very description.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)