Page 89 of 199 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 5945

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    My foster son just got the phone call an hour ago.

He is now officially a Chief Petty Officer select.
    Big congrats to him! An impressive accomplishment.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

(Miss Gillian's second son got the last one I'm able to muster.)
    . . . Daughter, possibly? Last I checked, I still only had the one son.

The shirt I was making for this weekend fits. I've got one last article to write, my gear to pack, and then I'm outstanding in a field again!

A hot, bright, sunny field where our booth is turned toward the afternoon sun this year, I grant you, but still.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

As the Wife has done many times...she has a mild OCD-ish counting thing going on...she informed me that it's only 54 days until our Oktoberfest vacation in Washington. Also on the happy front: between having a nasty bout of the flu in May and really cutting back on soft drinks, I've dropped a little over 20 pounds and one pants size. This resulted in my Kniebundhose being pretty baggy in the backside. Fortunately, the style I have are on a good sale, so another pair are on the way.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Great news PetersCreek.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    As the Wife has done many times...she has a mild OCD-ish counting thing going on...she informed me that it's only 54 days until our Oktoberfest vacation in Washington. Also on the happy front: between having a nasty bout of the flu in May and really cutting back on soft drinks, I've dropped a little over 20 pounds and one pants size. This resulted in my Kniebundhose being pretty baggy in the backside. Fortunately, the style I have are on a good sale, so another pair are on the way.
    That means it's only about 54 days to my pumpkin hurling. Guess I should start a thread!
    Good job on the weight loss. I've been backsliding.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Good job on the weight loss. I've been backsliding.
    Don't count me out yet. Backsliding is in my wheelhouse.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Congrats!

Can he now order you around, Don?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Were we both still after duty, I can say without the least bit of hyperbole, "Unto my death".
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    . . . Daughter, possibly? Last I checked, I still only had the one son.

The shirt I was making for this weekend fits. I've got one last article to write, my gear to pack, and then I'm outstanding in a field again!

A hot, bright, sunny field where our booth is turned toward the afternoon sun this year, I grant you, but still.
    Miss G, did I have some sort of realty excursion? I could have sworn you had the daughter from a prior relationship, and that Simon had a recent younger brother.

Color me confused and frightened!
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Contrary to the old saying, watching grass grow:

It's coming in faster than we expected. The septic contractor came by a few days ago to set our generator back in place and they were surprised, too.

And speaking of septic and happiness, the people who are going to build our new house have engaged a new system designer and it's looking good for us to be able to go ahead! Yay!

Miss G, did I have some sort of realty excursion? I could have sworn you had the daughter from a prior relationship, and that Simon had a recent younger brother.

Color me confused and frightened!
    Yes and no. I have a daughter from a prior relationship, and Simon has a recent younger sister. Irene. Six months old. Figured out crawling forward last week, and she started on solids, too.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

12. 2017-Aug-07, 09:29 PM

Last friday was the first day I could swim and bath after surgery. I've been swimming every day since. My muscles are burning, but it in a good way.
    Solfe

Coffee, it is raining (we need more), and the wood splitter is away being fixed(that is going to come and bite me).

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Coffee, it is raining (we need more), and the wood splitter is away being fixed(that is going to come and bite me).
    Last year I went to help fix up a scout camp. One of the chores was splitting wood. I pulled out an axe and got to work. About an hour in, I had a small mountain of wood. Two hours in, I had a pile of wood taller than me. I was impressed until I realized my kids had access to an actual wood splitter on the other side of the barn and were quietly adding to my pile. They were wise enough to send other children, so I didn't suspect anything.
    Solfe

I already have a couple of cord left form last year, gotta move form one side of woodshed to the other.

should of kept quite about the wood splitter, it's back.

(I thought had I posted this already, but I must have decided not to)

A few weeks ago, as my weight rose above the Mendoza Line (good for baseball, not for my height and build), I instituted some changes. I started "Pay Day is Weigh Day". I get paid every other Friday. On those mornings, I weigh myself. I've been eating smaller portions, but not denying myself some dessert and the very occasional snack. I usually drink water, not juices or soda. I have almost completely eliminated eating between meals. On my second Weigh Day (so 2 weeks) I had lost 14 pounds. I've just started an exercise regimen, but I am taking it very slow. I am so out of shape that when I started, 3 push-ups set my SVT off and I thought I was having a heart attack, I felt so lousy. Now I'm up to 16 push-ups and adding crunches into the mix. In a couple of weeks, I'll be breaking out the Pilates reformer that's been in the corner all year and get that going.

I may not have done quite so well these past 2 weeks, but tomorrow is the next Weigh Day and we'll see where I am.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Good work fella!

20. 2017-Aug-14, 11:16 AM

It rained this weekend, the first measurable rain in our area in two months. And not while faire was open, so the rain laid the dust and knocked smoke out of the air, finally, but didn't prevent the customers from coming. This weekend, we had the kids along, along with two of their godmothers to watch out for them. My poor friend Rowan got worn out by Simon, who has, as she put it, the attention span of a gnat. But he had earned $20 doing things around the house over the last few months, and he got to spend it how he liked. He saw the puppet show and played games and watched shows, and he bought himself a toy sword and had his face painted. Irene, meanwhile, mostly napped with her godmother on my cot and was handed around to be admired by everyone. It was lovely for all of us, and Irene's godmother fit in with our group--several people we've invited to work with us over the years have not; we have horror stories.

"You can't erase icing."

That's lovely, Gillian. I'm sorry it just isn't practical for me to get down there. And I, too, am happy that it rained a little. I just got a notice from the HOA that we're using too much water.

It rained this weekend, the first measurable rain in our area in two months. And not while faire was open, so the rain laid the dust and knocked smoke out of the air, finally, but didn't prevent the customers from coming. This weekend, we had the kids along, along with two of their godmothers to watch out for them. My poor friend Rowan got worn out by Simon, who has, as she put it, the attention span of a gnat. But he had earned $20 doing things around the house over the last few months, and he got to spend it how he liked. He saw the puppet show and played games and watched shows, and he bought himself a toy sword and had his face painted. Irene, meanwhile, mostly napped with her godmother on my cot and was handed around to be admired by everyone. It was lovely for all of us, and Irene's godmother fit in with our group--several people we've invited to work with us over the years have not; we have horror stories.
    Awesome on all counts.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

should of kept quite about the wood splitter, it's back.
    (have)
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I keep making that error.

I keep making that error.
    There was a neat piece of dialogue in a recent GOT episode. Jon Snow is discussing troop strength with Davos.

Davos: "What do we have, 10,000 men?"
    Jon: "Less."
    Davos: "Fewer."

(This was a callback to an earlier episode when Stannis corrected Davos for the same mistake. Davos - and the writers - remembered.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That's lovely, Gillian. I'm sorry it just isn't practical for me to get down there. And I, too, am happy that it rained a little. I just got a notice from the HOA that we're using too much water.
    I'll see if anyone's free to go up to a pumpkin toss with me instead.

"You can't erase icing."

I'll see if anyone's free to go up to a pumpkin toss with me instead.
    September 30th! Or, alternatively, setup day on the 29th, which is actually more casual and fun, at least for me. I need to start a thread.

Third weekend of faire's come and gone, and we're done for the year. (Which is definitely not something that makes me happy; I love faire.) It was beautiful weather this weekend, not too hot or too cold. We got a bit of drizzle, but nothing too heavy or during public hours. We again had a couple of people hanging out with us who fit in with the group. We think we've managed to get the guy across the row from us banned from the event. First weekend, he was actually catcalling women walking by, which he thought they found funny and appealing because he did it in character. We were watching. They did not. And even if they did, we were none too thrilled about hearing his PG-13 comments all day long at a faire rated PG at highest unless you're actually inside one of the ale houses. They weren't funny the first time, and they didn't get funnier as the day passed. Faire people had talked to him first Sunday, and he got very quiet that day. He wasn't there at all last weekend. This weekend, he was mostly doing it quietly, but I heard a cry of "We wants the redhead!" (a reference they're taking out of Pirates of the Caribbean) several times. So we told one of the officials. She said she'd take care of it, and it seems clear that means banning the guy, since he won't stop.

So okay, the mixed happiness of getting something awful dealt with aside, how was it?

Wonderful. My faire crew is some of my favourite people in the world, and I don't see any of them as often as I'd like, even my best friend who lives in the same city as I do. We joked around and talked a lot and made friends and made the customers laugh and did pretty good business. We watched the shows on the stage across from us over and over again and laughed every time. We had a couple of good meals out. I discovered that, despite my size and my scoliosis, I can buy one of the coats our neighbour makes that I admire off the rack and not be in pain all day or have it hang weird, and next year, I'm going to lay out serious cash for one and build a costume around it. Though, um, I'm still going to special-order, probably, because I have specific colours in mind. And I've sold another stuffed animal that I've started making as an in-joke with my film group. I mentioned to someone at faire that I make them, and she got very excited and wanted one; it's the monster from this movie called Monster Trucks that came out in January.

"You can't erase icing."

People with a sense of humor make me happy.

My son found a review of a helicopter drone on Amazon for a million dollars. Now I can't find it, perhaps it was deleted. In any event, the reviewer posted how he was going to purchase 12 of them for an invasion of a fictional country (or perhaps a planet). He updated the review several times that despite the problems caused by the drones small size, his troops were able to walk into the this fictional country and take over. The last update was basically the ending to Rogue One.

It was very well done.
    Solfe

Enjoying the eclipse from my cousin's driveway in Portland. Just lovely.

Even though from northern Ca, it was only about 75% coverage, it made me very happy...even more so since the Moon obsessed Grand Daughter was able to travel to the path of totality...
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov