Page 120 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 3816

Thread: SpaceX

SpaceX

Duplicate post.

Weather issue?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Weather issue?
    "Out of family" sensor reading, according to their twitter.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Out of family indicates a faulty sensor. Better than a bad rocket etc.

The New York Post reports SpaceX private shares have hit $340/share, for a market capitalization of $58 billion.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/30/shares...ellite-dreams/

Here comes Super Heavy #1, with Starship SN's 5-12 built or under construction.

IMG_20201001_132658.jpg

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/...73709321760769

On one hand, I think it is very important for SpaceX to remain privately traded for some time. On the other hand, I’d love to buy a bit of stock in it to participate in what might finally do what I’ve wanted to see since I was a kid.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Super Heavy parts (upper dome, fuel stack, ring stacks), new crane assembly, launch table construction, etc.

https://youtu.be/IWUC7EyXJt8

What do you suppose it costs to rent one of those monster cranes? Can't be cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What do you suppose it costs to rent one of those monster cranes? Can't be cheap!
    Rental for a crane and operator starts at around $100/hour, and can exceed $600/hour for the big cranes. Prices are market sensitive, of course - state tax rates and local need can cause providers to increase fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    On one hand, I think it is very important for SpaceX to remain privately traded for some time. On the other hand, I’d love to buy a bit of stock in it to participate in what might finally do what I’ve wanted to see since I was a kid.
    Yeah the last thing you want is the coimpany being bought up the kind of financiers that would insist on importing 'proper' management...

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    Yeah the last thing you want is the coimpany being bought up the kind of financiers that would insist on importing 'proper' management...
    For comparison, that's seems to be what Blue Origin actually did...they hired a bunch of upper management from established aerospace companies. The results have been...disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    For comparison, that's seems to be what Blue Origin actually did...they hired a bunch of upper management from established aerospace companies. The results have been...disappointing.
    Yep, you get a bunch of people with with degrees in accounting or management explaining why you can't listen to all those crazy engineers and their wacky notions. Oh and of course the further you keep head office away from the people actually building stuff the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    That and stockholders insisting on a quick return on their investment. SpaceX could make a good business just by sticking with Falcon 9 and going with the typical slow future development of other space launch companies. As a privately traded company, SpaceX has more flexibility to pursue long term goals. Of course that isn’t sufficient - it is still possible to make poor decisions (which has happened to other attempts at new space efforts going back decades).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Yes, Ive not been impressed so far. I wouldnt mind seeing good competition for SpaceX. If Blue Origin was also successful in developing a low cost launch service, SpaceX and Blue Origin would likely drive out other companies, and would push each other towards further innovation.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Bean counter types versus doer types. Most of upper level management in large companies is in bred to be bean counter types. Its what make the stocks go up.

StarLink early speed test. More birds + laser links will make it available worldwide, faster and with lower latency.

IMG_20201002_182857.jpg

https://twitter.com/PPathole/status/1311906144760197123

SpaceX USSF GPS 3 SV-04

"Big John" Insprucker at the desk

New booster, destined for GPS 3 SV-05 next time

JRtI recovery

Ms Tree & Ms Chief on station

ABORT at T-02
    24 hour scrub

Scrub reason: unexpected rise in gas generator pressure

I'm wondering if trying to launch two falcons in as many days has caused resources to get spread a bit thin!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'm wondering if trying to launch two falcons in as many days has caused resources to get spread a bit thin!
    Scrubitis also hit ULA (several times for NROL-44) and Northrop-Grumman, so...

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Bean counter types versus doer types. Most of upper level management in large companies is in bred to be bean counter types. Its what make the stocks go up.
    Bob Lutz of GM wrote about this in “Car Guys vs Bean Counters”
    FREE FLIGHT (about the air taxi/VLJ debacle) is similar. I remember a letter to the editor at Av Week about engineers in a company for decades still stuck in cubicles with some bloody kids half their age three flights up in the legal department having rooms with views.

Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
    New SpaceX droneship will be called “A Shortfall of Gravitas

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1312760295228547073

I thought they had something with that name already?
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I thought they had something with that name already?
    They announced it, but then news went dark for 2 years. Methinks this means it's ready to debut, and speculation is it may be a self powered landing ship and/or made to catch either Falcon stages or Super Heavy/Starship.

Oh, my...

The plan for @dearMoon is to loop around the Moon in a free return trajectory then return to Earth.

https://www.businessinsider.com/spac...maezawa-2020-9

A Japanese astronaut is in talks to join SpaceX's artist-filled Starship mission around the moon

• SpaceX plans to launch a mission around the moon in 2023 with its reusable steel Starship vehicle.

• Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa is funding the private voyage, called #dearMoon, and plans to bring along a handful of artists plus an astronaut or two.

• Soichi Noguchi, a JAXA astronaut who's slated to fly on SpaceX's upcoming Crew-1 mission, say he's talking to Maezawa about possibly joining the circumlunar flight.

• "Who knows? I may have a chance to fly," Noguchi told Business Insider
    >

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Oh, my...

The plan for @dearMoon is to loop around the Moon in a free return trajectory then return to Earth.

https://www.businessinsider.com/spac...maezawa-2020-9
    Er, this was announced just over two years ago. I think the only thing new is the Soichi Noguchi bit.

Lots of lovely pictures of Starship being built in an article from nasaspaceflight.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...rship-testing/

All eyes remain on Starship SN8’s next-level test campaign, advancing the test program from 150-meter hops to high-altitude flights. Amid SN8’s preparations at the launch site – and numerous Starships, at various points of construction, at the Production Site – several Super Heavy sections were observed during the week in advance of stacking operations for the first prototype booster.

StarLink 12

Primary: October 5, 0751 Eastern (1151 UT)
    Backup: October 6, 0729 Easyern (1129 UTC)

https://youtu.be/W0MGgQZIYNk

Scrub, weather