Page 155 of 165 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,650 of 4935

Thread: SpaceX

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    SpaceX Starship will be capable of deploying hundreds of Starlink satellites per launch.

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesm...rship-starlink

QUOTE: SpaceX will offer Starlink satellite broadband internet service globally to fund its Mars colonization plans. The constellation will be comprised of at least 12,000 satellites that will beam internet connection down to Starlink user terminals. Long-term customers will be helping SpaceX fund the development of a fleet of one thousand Starships to enable humans to create the first city on the Red Planet before the year 2050.
    In local news, Northern France, a passer by noticed that SpaceX has been granted permission to build small stations with domes and a shed , but not through the usual process, which requires billboard notices, direct from central government. It turns out there are several such stations planned in France, and locals are upset, all those radio waves might upset the cows. ( not making this up). The unusual planning consent looks suspicious to many people. probably for a world wide satellite service, such stations will pop up in lots of places.the planning does not make it look like these stations with white spherical domes are armoured against, well, Vandals. I wonder what will happen.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

From France24 website
    To realise his dream of satellite-powered internet, tech billionaire Elon Musk needs to install antennas around the world. In northern France, a village hopes he’ll decide to keep those antennas far away.

Saint-Senier-de-Beuvron, population 350, is none too thrilled to have been picked as a ground station for Musk’s Starlink project for broadband from space.

“This project is totally new. We don’t have any idea of the impact of these signals,” said Noemie Brault, a 34-year-old deputy mayor of the village just 20 kilometres (12 miles) from the majestic Mont Saint-Michel abbey on the English Channel.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Note also the trebuchet in the foreground of one camera angle!

Boca Chica road closure tomorrow (Tuesday) cancelled - winds picking up today, supposedly peaking tomorrow. Wednesday and Thursday are still on. Sounds like weather will set the flight date.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    From France24 website
    From the country with the most resistance to taking Covid-19 vaccines in Europe.

From France24 website
    ...“This project is totally new. We don’t have any idea of the impact of these signals,” said Noemie Brault, a 34-year-old deputy mayor of the village just 20 kilometres (12 miles) from the majestic Mont Saint-Michel abbey on the English Channel.
    Those RF bands have been streaming down on France from the skies for over 50 years, but let's not let facts stop the hand-wringing .

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Those RF bands have been streaming down on France from the skies for over 50 years, but let's not let facts stop the hand-wringing .
    Without venturing into politics, I suspect this is country folk resistance to edicts from Paris. I don’ t suppose there is an equivalence in the USA. And France does have excellent broadband making this comment possible.
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Note also the trebuchet in the foreground of one camera angle!
    Hey, some gig businesses provide foosball and ping-pong tables for the employees. Musk just ramps it up a notch or two.

Without venturing into politics, I suspect this is country folk resistance to edicts from Paris. I don’ t suppose there is an equivalence in the USA. And France does have excellent broadband making this comment possible.
    I assure you there are equivalents in the USA.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

SN-11

Surface to unlimited altitude TFR for Thursday
    Window: 0800 - 2100 Eastern

https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_1_7922.html

Screenshot_2021-03-22-14-06-58-500.jpeg

SN-11

Surface to unlimited altitude TFR for Thursday
    Window: 0800 - 2100 Eastern

https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_1_7922.html

Screenshot_2021-03-22-14-06-58-500.jpeg
    I wish them well.

They're using Starship rings to build propellant tanks for the orbital pad tank farms. Why buy them when you can roll your own at 10% the cost?

Sounds like NASA's suits & astronauts are warming to Starship - ISTM that kind of image caption needs suit approval.

Chris B - NSF @NASASpaceflight
    NASA astros visiting Starship SN11.

"Common goals, shared vision. NASA astronauts learning about the SpaceX Starship—one element in a growing worldwide field of deeper space exploration systems with sights on the moon and Mars."

Instagram link:
    https://t.co/u5lK1mANO1?amp=1

20210321_111805.jpg

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/...58836422180871
    Please post a link where/when NASA wasn't warming up to them/it.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Please post a link where/when NASA wasn't warming up to them/it.
    Not one of Bridenstine's finer moments:
    https://twitter.com/jimbridenstine/s...747777?lang=en

I am looking forward to the SpaceX announcement tomorrow. In the meantime, Commercial Crew is years behind schedule. NASA expects to see the same level of enthusiasm focused on the investments of the American taxpayer. It's time to deliver.
    Even worse was the fact that the delays he referenced were largely NASA's problem to solve, with them not processing paperwork in a timely fashion, insisting on tests that consumed hardware of limited availability without certifying alternate sources of said hardware, and generally tying things up in a bureaucratic mess that seemed to unfairly favor CST-100.

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post

Even worse was the fact that the delays he referenced were largely NASA's problem to solve, with them not processing paperwork in a timely fashion, insisting on tests that consumed hardware of limited availability without certifying alternate sources of said hardware, and generally tying things up in a bureaucratic mess that seemed to unfairly favor CST-100.
    You have listed NASA/Boeing problems not what I referred, a link to when/where NASA put down SpaceX. Besides at the beginning of that tweet [quote]I am looking forward to the SpaceX announcement tomorrow.

You have listed NASA/Boeing problems not what I referred, a link to when/where NASA put down SpaceX. Besides at the beginning of that tweet [quote]I am looking forward to the SpaceX announcement tomorrow.

See post 1949.

You have listed NASA/Boeing problems not what I referred, a link to when/where NASA put down SpaceX. Besides at the beginning of that tweet
    I am looking forward to the SpaceX announcement tomorrow.
    He was implying that SpaceX was behind in delivering Dragon due to lack of "enthusiasm". He didn't say anything about Boeing.
    Last edited by cjameshuff; 2021-Mar-23 at 07:29 PM.

[QUOTE=cjameshuff;2533480]
    You have listed NASA/Boeing problems not what I referred, a link to when/where NASA put down SpaceX. Besides at the beginning of that tweet

He was implying that SpaceX was behind in delivering Dragon due to lack of "enthusiasm". He didn't say anything about Boeing.
    And in hindsight, he probably should have - but at the time Bridenstine was under pressure from Sen. Shelby. The Senator is no fan of NewSpace companies, SpaceX being a consistent target since day-one.

NASA managers? They know which side their bread is buttered on, Shelby having a large degree of influence over their budget and the mandates therein. Only SpaceX's very public successes and Shelby's retirement next year have started to change that tune.

[QUOTE=docmordrid;2533514]

And in hindsight, he probably should have - but at the time Bridenstine was under pressure from Sen. Shelby. The Senator is no fan of NewSpace companies, SpaceX being a consistent target since day-one.

NASA managers? They know which side their bread is buttered on, Shelby having a large degree of influence over their budget and the mandates therein. Only SpaceX's very public successes and Shelby's retirement next year have started to change that tune.
    And any notion that the SLS was the quicker, cheaper option has been blown out of the water.

[QUOTE=docmordrid;2533514]

I don't see where this backs up your statement that NASA wasn't warm towards SpaceX. Sure the employees may have been politically silent. But to my knowledge the agency hasn't published any coolness toward SpaceX. To be sure they have been cautious regarding launching personnel, when problems where discovered. When SpaceX succeeds in its testing to get a vehicle into LEO or cis-lunar, it is only a plus for all sides. The Moon ambitions are not singularly NASA's anymore due to many factors in their way. I wish all the very best of luck in the efforts. I have stated my opinion, on other threads, that I believe the SLS launch vehicle is a waste of time ad effort, but this is a politically driven system not a scientific one, of course NASA landing a man on the Moon was in itself a politically motivated idea. Whether the next boot on the Moon is from China, SpaceX or NASA should be applauded, not criticized.
    I have said enough on this matter, you or cjameshuff may rebut but I am done.

I don't see where this backs up your statement that NASA wasn't warm towards SpaceX. Sure the employees may have been politically silent. But to my knowledge the agency hasn't published any coolness toward SpaceX. To be sure they have been cautious regarding launching personnel, when problems where discovered. When SpaceX succeeds in its testing to get a vehicle into LEO or cis-lunar, it is only a plus for all sides. The Moon ambitions are not singularly NASA's anymore due to many factors in their way. I wish all the very best of luck in the efforts. I have stated my opinion, on other threads, that I believe the SLS launch vehicle is a waste of time ad effort, but this is a politically driven system not a scientific one, of course NASA landing a man on the Moon was in itself a politically motivated idea. Whether the next boot on the Moon is from China, SpaceX or NASA should be applauded, not criticized.
    I have said enough on this matter, you or cjameshuff may rebut but I am done.
    He wasn't politically silent, he implied SpaceX was misusing taxpayer funding and spending resources on Starship that should have been devoted to Crew Dragon while blaming them for delays that were largely NASA's responsibility. And this was perhaps the first time NASA officially recognized that Starship existed, they'd been ignoring it for years while insisting SLS was the only possible way to go. This is warm and friendly behavior to you?
    Last edited by cjameshuff; 2021-Mar-23 at 10:56 PM.

Starlink 22

Date: Wednesday March 24
    Time: 0428

https://youtu.be/a15czI9B91c

Starship Orbital Pad A's integration tower is going up, and it's orbital launch mount is being prepared for its launch table.

IMG_20210324_140129.jpg

https://twitter.com/RGVaerialphotos/...93528026312706

https://twitter.com/RGVaerialphotos/...82520301731845

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/22/elon...t-gigabit.html

SpaceX’s Starlink satellite internet in talks for a place in the UK’s $6.9 billion ‘Project Gigabit’

KEY POINTS

• Elon Musk’s SpaceX is in talks with the United Kingdom for the company’s Starlink satellite division to potentially earn funding as a part of the government’s new $6.9 billion internet infrastructure program.

• U.K. Minister for Digital Infrastructure Matt Warman recently met with Starlink leadership, a person familiar with the talks told CNBC, as a part of discussions for the ‘Project Gigabit’ plan rolled out on Friday.

• SpaceX in October began rolling out early Starlink service in a public beta that now extends to*customers in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Germany and New Zealand – with service priced at $99 a month in the U.S.

>

Sky News first reported the talks, noting that U.K. Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden believes Starlink is one of the best options for delivering internet service to hard-to-reach areas across the country.

>

Any concrete plans for a Starship (SN11) test today?
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Apparently postponed until Friday and more likely Monday:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...box=1616604596

The next prototype of its Mars-bound craft is already on the launchpad at SpaceX’s Boca Chica facility in Texas, with road closures in the surrounding area originally scheduled for every day this week.

Cameron County updated its public notice listings of temporary closures relating to SpaceX on Wednesday, cancelling closures for both Wednesday 24 March and Thursday 25 March, and removing the closure listed for Friday.

Starship testing does not take place on weekends, meaning if Friday’s closure is also cancelled then the earliest launch will be Monday 29 March.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Not today, TFR cancelled.. Replaced an engine component yesterday. I'd expect news about Friday later today.

@nextspaceflight
    SpaceX will conduct a second static fire test after one of three Raptor engines on Starship SN11 had to be removed for repairs. The static fire could occur as soon as Friday, pending Raptor readiness and road closures.

https://twitter.com/nextspaceflight/...30415568347139

One thing slowing things down is a power outage. It appears due to new road construction between Route 4 and the Port of Brownsville.

Byeeee....no more fairing catching net-ships.

Reinforcing and scooping fairings out of the drink has worked nicely, so (a) new "scoop" ship(s) will be taking their place.

https://twitter.com/julia_bergeron/s...75645106049029

I’m not surprised. It was impressive, but it was obviously hard and they missed more often than not. No doubt they waited until they had enough time to test the hardening and that was it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Crew Dragon Resilience had a hiccup today.

Dunno if Dragon 2 still uses them, but Dragon 1 used the Alta Data MIL-STD-1553 boxes.

Chris B - NSF @NASASpaceflight
    Mar 25, 2021
    Dragon Resilience keeping the ISS crew on their toes.

Annunciated false emergency messages for Fire and Rapid Depress as well as other erroneous messages yesterday.

ISS crew ran responses for Fire and Rapid depress but stood down once stable readings were confirmed.
    |
    ISS: The issue was likely a Single Event Upset (SEU) on avionics box Power Unit 2B (Dragon’s primary 1553 gateway to ISS). The SEU radiation hit caused a processor to reset and output data which the ISS interpreted as a collection of emergencies and off-nominal indications.

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/...81276941008908

Starship SN-11: static fire and flight

Date: Friday March 26, 2021
    Window: 0800 - 2030 Eastern

https://www.cameroncounty.us/order-c...hwy-4-march-26

1616716099803.jpg