Page 167 of 179 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 5,010 of 5348

Thread: SpaceX

Any word on what next for SN-15?

This information is about a week old, but Elon Musk had said that if SN-15 checks out well enough, and early on it was looking good, then they might try to re-fly it. Since then I've heard of nothing directly from SpaceX about SN-15 status. Speculation is that, as Musk said, SpaceX might fly it again and if they deem it not healthy enough to fly they will probably still do some sort of additional testing while it is on the launch platform. Nothing concrete. But they did put it back on a launch stand.

My conjecture is that they'd have needed to put it back on the stand regardless to remove the engines, since that's where they've done all the installations and removals. But I have not yet seen any sign of them doing so.
    The huge Liebherr cranes being assembled are very impressive. And the one sure has a lot of different colored sections in the boom!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My conjecture is that they'd have needed to put it back on the stand regardless to remove the engines, since that's where they've done all the installations and removals. But I have not yet seen any sign of them doing so.
    The huge Liebherr cranes being assembled are very impressive. And the one sure has a lot of different colored sections in the boom!
    Hence its NSF nickname: Frankencrane

Some are saying Frankencrane can't be there for a launch, and moving it would require disassembly. If true then we may not see much action until the biggun stacks the tower and launch table and gets moved.

TJ Cooney 🚀 @TJ_Cooney
    SN15 Raptor engines waiting for their next flight.

20210519_004334.jpg

https://twitter.com/TJ_Cooney/status...31367372288001

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    TJ Cooney 🚀 @TJ_Cooney

20210519_004334.jpg

I went looking that up on Reddit and it had been deleted. Word is that it violated SpaceX NDA rules and could get someone fired. Of course, it has already been posted and reposted on Twitter.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Hence its NSF nickname: Frankencrane

Some are saying Frankencrane can't be there for a launch, and moving it would require disassembly. If true then we may not see much action until the biggun stacks the tower and launch table and gets moved.
    I'd seen it called that, and noticed all the colors, and didn't make the connection! If it was just red white and green it could be based on the Italian flag, since the owner Fagioli is an Italian company.

TJ Cooney  @TJ_Cooney

20210519_004334.jpg

If it was me, I'd be pulling them off and sending to McGregor for post-flight analysis.

>
    If it was me, I'd be pulling them off and sending to McGregor for post-flight analysis.
    Apparently they have engine SN's in the 50-60's range at Starbase and current production is upgraded engines in the 150's, so perhaps not that informative.

Raptors pulled from SN-15. Nothing official, but it doesn't sound like a re-flight but straight to the orbital launch. That means completing the new tank farm, launch table and integration tower. Frankencrane is rising.

New tower segment moved to construction site
    https://twitter.com/StarshipGazer/st...49739698827270

Raptors pulled
    https://twitter.com/BocaRoad/status/1395913053510664192

Frankencrane assembly (Liebherr LR 11350)
    https://twitter.com/MarcusHouse/stat...56382672818180

..... it doesn't sound like a re-flight but straight to the orbital launch.
    A few days old but some info on the first orbital launch from Stephen Clark at:
    SpaceX outlines plans for around the world Starship test flight

On longer term ambitions I found the following quote interesting, especially the last paragraph.

Musk eventually wants to have a fleet of ocean-going platforms to recover and re-launch Super Heavy boosters and Starship rockets.

“It’s intended to be such that the booster can be used, I don’t know, a dozen times a day, basically every couple of hours,” Musk said in an X PRIZE webcast last month. “And that mostly is about reloading propellant and mounting the ship. and then the ship can probably be used, in theory, every three hours … But certainly every, say, six to nine hours. We’ll call it twice a day for the ship. And we’ll make more ships than there are boosters.”

SpaceX officials have suggested that Starships could be tasked with high-speed point-to-point intercontinental travel on Earth.

“Once we have the floating space platforms, we can position them such that the ship can come back in a single orbit,” Musk said. “So then it can be, let’s say we have three ship launches per day, that’s 1,000 flights a year, each with 100 to 150 tonnes of payload to orbit.”

“I’d say it’s only recently though that I feel that full and rapid reusability can be accomplished,” Musk said. “I wasn’t sure for a long time, but I am sure now.”

When is the first civilian orbital mission scheduled?

If you're a keen swimmer, later this year. If not, I'd suggest to wait until the first final production craft is built and flown...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    If you're a keen swimmer, later this year. If not, I'd suggest to wait until the first final production craft is built and flown...
    You wouldn't need to swim, the first orbital Starship won't have any life support. You'll be dead a few minutes in.
    Crew Dragon, on the other hand, does have life support, is flight proven, and there's a tourist mission planned for the 4th quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    You should know but, I'm not referring to the Starship but of a F-9 launch

OK I read it as a reaction to the post directly above it, which was about the first orbital Starship mission.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    When is the first civilian orbital mission scheduled?
    That would be Inspiration4, the charity mission for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. NET September 15, using Crew Dragon Resilience outfitted with an observation cupola.

20210330_103618.jpg

20210330_103618crop.jpg
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2021-May-23 at 08:26 AM.

That would be Inspiration4, the charity mission for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. NET September 15, using Crew Dragon Resilience outfitted with an observation cupola.
    More about it at:
    https://inspiration4.com/

The first All-Civilian Mission to space....

No definitive date but sometime in the fourth quarter.

The next two Falcon Heavy launches are delayed; DoD payload issues.

https://twitter.com/SpaceflightNow/s...23668252106752

Looks like SN-15 will be returning to the production site...

https://twitter.com/spacex360/status...54061761277958

The next level of the integration tower has been stacked by "Frankencrane".
    Speaking of cranes, I had been wondering if the new yellow one might belong to SpaceX itself. Nope, it's yet another heavy-lift company like Roll-Lift (Tankzilla) and Fagioli (Frankencrane).
    Fagioli, BTW, means "beans".

The next level of the integration tower has been stacked by "Frankencrane".
    Speaking of cranes, I had been wondering if the new yellow one might belong to SpaceX itself. Nope, it's yet another heavy-lift company like Roll-Lift (Tankzilla) and Fagioli (Frankencrane).
    Fagioli, BTW, means "beans".
    There are cranes/lifts sporting a SpaceX livery, mostly painted white.

I've got a few questions I haven't been able to find clear answers to myself and I'm hoping some of you regulars on this thread might be able to answer.

1) Did SpaceX go back to autogenous pressurization on Starship yet (SN15? Earlier?).

2) Have any Starship prototypes used hot gas thrusters? I've seen information that SpaceX hopes to have hot gas thrusters on the 1st orbital SH and one comment I came across implied that Starship was using hot gas thrusters already. Also, if I understood correctly the hot gas thrusters would be fed from the same propellants as the Raptors which would seem to entail autogenous pressurization.

3) Anybody heard yet what the story is on the trebuchet?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    I
    I haven't, and I've searched! Bugs the heck out of me!

I haven't, and I've searched! Bugs the heck out of me!

Nice liftoff and landing of the first stage.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Nice liftoff and landing of the first stage.
    5th use of the fairing too

https://spacenews.com/spacex-sets-fa...arlink-launch/

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    I've got a few questions I haven't been able to find clear answers to myself and I'm hoping some of you regulars on this thread might be able to answer.

1) Did SpaceX go back to autogenous pressurization on Starship yet (SN15? Earlier?)
    Yes, SN-15.

2) Have any Starship prototypes used hot gas thrusters? I've seen information that SpaceX hopes to have hot gas thrusters on the 1st orbital SH and one comment I came across implied that Starship was using hot gas thrusters already. Also, if I understood correctly the hot gas thrusters would be fed from the same propellants as the Raptors which would seem to entail autogenous pressurization.
    Hopefully for the orbital launch booster. There have been YouTube videos where you can hear the LOUD pulsing. Look up Nicotine Jenkins feed.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1397348509309829121

https://youtu.be/hvHbQYRcTHc

It belongs to a local resident, not SpaceX. Just happens to be in the line of sight. It may be Lab-Padre.

Boca Chica trebuchet.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/trebuchetme...buchet_launch/
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2021-May-26 at 11:50 PM.

"SpaceX’s first flight-proven Starship rolled back to factory for likely retirement"

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-fir...rship-retired/

While SpaceX has spent the better part of three weeks inspecting the first flight-proven Starship to survive a high-altitude launch and landing, the company appears to have decided to retire the rocket instead of flying it again.

On May 25th, four days after Starship serial number 15 (SN15) was reinstalled on one of SpaceX’s two suborbital launch mounts, a crane was attached to its nose and a transporter staged beside it. One day later, the historic Starship prototype was lifted off of Mount B, installed on that transporter, and rolled away from the launch pad and back towards SpaceX’s Boca Chica, Texas Starship factory.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Thank you docmordrid.