Page 170 of 179 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,100 of 5347

Thread: SpaceX

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Is this a technical term??
    It is now!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It is now!
    Snicker.

What is happening to SN-16? I haven't noticed much news.

I suspect that 16 will never fly and will end up scrapped. They seem satisfied that they achieved all that was required from suborbital testing with 15. And they've skipped 17, 18, and 19 to go directly to 20.

I suspect that 16 will never fly and will end up scrapped. They seem satisfied that they achieved all that was required from suborbital testing with 15. And they've skipped 17, 18, and 19 to go directly to 20.
    Right now, suborbital hops have just become a blocker for the construction work needed to begin orbital tests, but orbital tests will be more expensive, complicated, and limited in cadence by hardware availability and there won't be so much heavy construction work that conflicts with testing, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them resume suborbital tests to refine EDL while they work on improvements based on the orbital flight.

Plus they're not going to launch an orbital vehicle until the launch tower is completed.

ETA: And I do see that you indicated a slow down of construction.
    Last edited by bknight; 2021-Jun-16 at 04:55 PM.

Starlink has a bit of an overheating problem:

https://arstechnica.com/information-...e-for-7-hours/

This article discusses the experience of a fellow in Arizona whose Starlink went down at 11:30am and came back at 7:30pm. He was told that it goes into thermal shutdown at 122F and comes back on at 104F. But it isn’t clear how that applies with an antenna sitting in the sun on a hot day. And, while you can shade it, you’ll need to do it in a way that doesn’t block its view of the satellites. Where I live, it gets to 110F (measured in shade) occasionally, it might even do it later this week, but there are plenty of places that get warmer. This could be a real issue in some places in California, Arizona and New Mexico in the US, for instance.

Because the antenna uses active electronics it may be hard to improve the temperature range unless they go with more expensive electronics, which is a problem because it reportedly is already more expensive then they want. They may need to introduce a wider temperature range model, perhaps with active cooling.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Tower segment five is being stacked and SN16 is on the move.

Anybody have a good guess at how tall those tower sections are? I'm thinking three bays at about 15 feet each, so 45 feet per section?

Hey, let's go for a drive on Remedios Avenue and Joanna Street!
    SpaceX: No, those roads are closed. And we're the law.
    Cameron County, TX: Those are public roads and claiming to be the law is a felony.
    Oops.

The public roads in question run right through the middle of the build site.

Those "public roads" were laid out in the 1960s by developers who wanted to turn the area into a residential area, and after Hurricane Beulah, the houses they were supposed to reach were never built and they were allowed to deteriorate into dirt trails. SpaceX now owns the land they were on, and they largely no longer exist, having been covered by the big manufacturing area: https://i.redd.it/gczjmpn62k571.jpg They're not something you'd just go driving down, at least without an off-road vehicle.

As for impersonating public officials...they were stopped by someone who identified themselves as part of SpaceX security, not a public official. The complaint also includes a bizarre aside that the security personnel they talked to might be armed because...they seem professional (?!?) and SpaceX employs other people licensed to have firearms (...in Texas). And that since they couldn't find records of these particular people being licensed to be armed as part of their job, they might be in violation of those licensing requirements, which is the kind of reasoning I tend to expect in the Conspiracy Theories forum here instead of from a district attorney.

As far as I can tell, someone looking to make trouble just found some outdated document that still listed them as public roads, and decided to pad their complaint a bit with some pointless rambling about the security guards that they didn't even bother turning into an actual complaint, implying that there were issues without actually explicitly claiming so.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Starlink has a bit of an overheating problem:

https://arstechnica.com/information-...e-for-7-hours/
    >
    This is what betas are for.

SpaceX filed with FCC that a new dish is coming, and it'll be ~2.5" smaller. Perhaps that's one of the issues addressed.

Falcon 9: GPS III SV05 mission

https://youtu.be/QJXxVtp3KqI

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    I am amazed how slowly the competition is responding to reusable rockets. Most of the major space agencies are still committed to outdated launchers still in the design stage! WTF?
    Many players have studied reusability schemes similar to Falcon9, but generally they were not found financially feasible. For example Ariane 6 various options were looked into, including reusing first stage a'la F9 or just parachuting the engines (the most expensive part).

Quote Originally Posted by Zartan View Post
    Many players have studied reusability schemes similar to Falcon9, but generally they were not found financially feasible. For example Ariane 6 various options were looked into, including reusing first stage a'la F9 or just parachuting the engines (the most expensive part).
    Chinese government and a few of their commercial companies are beyond power point presentation on reusable rockets. Don't be surprised if you see results in the next two to three years.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    Those "public roads" were laid out in the 1960s by developers who wanted to turn the area into a residential area, and after Hurricane Beulah, the houses they were supposed to reach were never built and they were allowed to deteriorate into dirt trails. SpaceX now owns the land they were on, and they largely no longer exist, having been covered by the big manufacturing area: https://i.redd.it/gczjmpn62k571.jpg They're not something you'd just go driving down, at least without an off-road vehicle.

As for impersonating public officials...they were stopped by someone who identified themselves as part of SpaceX security, not a public official. The complaint also includes a bizarre aside that the security personnel they talked to might be armed because...they seem professional (?!?) and SpaceX employs other people licensed to have firearms (...in Texas). And that since they couldn't find records of these particular people being licensed to be armed as part of their job, they might be in violation of those licensing requirements, which is the kind of reasoning I tend to expect in the Conspiracy Theories forum here instead of from a district attorney.

As far as I can tell, someone looking to make trouble just found some outdated document that still listed them as public roads, and decided to pad their complaint a bit with some pointless rambling about the security guards that they didn't even bother turning into an actual complaint, implying that there were issues without actually explicitly claiming so.
    They are still legally public roads. The county has not formally abandoned or sold them. SpaceX does not own that land.

Nice launch and landing of the first stage.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Nice launch and landing of the first stage.
    Indeed, some of the best landing video I've seen.

Many players have studied reusability schemes similar to Falcon9, but generally they were not found financially feasible.
    An obsessive billionaire with a Cause is why the big bird flies today. He's willing to throw money at the problem until he gets results, in a way that governments and most corporations would not.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Generally speaking, development costs are high and flight rates are low, so the argument has often been that it isn’t economically worth doing. But lower launch cost can open up new markets, increasing demand, SpaceX has had relatively low development cost and has used its rockets to create a new market with Starlink. Other companies could have done similar things, but were too conservative.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

One of the smart things SpaceX did was to start flying F9 as a throwaway and finalise reusability later on. That way, they had free landing tests on every paid flight.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

As I understand it they still are working on such plans, but operational vehicles are years away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themis_programme

Possible SN-16 hypersonic flight

Perhaps to test loads and/or the suborbital Point to Point trajectory.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1405588281622859778

They are still legally public roads. The county has not formally abandoned or sold them. SpaceX does not own that land.
    SpaceX owns the land.

SpaceX owns the land.
    But not necessarily the rights of way, though I'm sure they'll work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    I'm sure they'll work it out.
    I'm $ure $omeone will $tumble on a $olution.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

SpaceX owns the land.
    I seriously doubt that they own the land in the roadway, but of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I'm $ure $omeone will $tumble on a $olution.
    And probably pretty $oon.

They do not. Dogleg Park, LLC (a SpaceX property-owning subsidiary) owns land on either side of the road, but not the road.

See this for who owns what in that area:
    http://www.cameroncad.org/gis/map

Brady Kenniston @TheFavoritist
    That’s going to be one tall tower. The full Starship stack is going to be ridiculous.
    https://twitter.com/TheFavoritist/st...09669135142915

IMG_20210618_193750.jpg

Brady Kenniston @TheFavoritist
    That’s going to be one tall tower. The full Starship stack is going to be ridiculous.
    https://twitter.com/TheFavoritist/st...09669135142915

IMG_20210618_193750.jpg
    From this angle it appears the sixth one will fit beneath the boom.