Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
Results 1,531 to 1,552 of 1552

Thread: SpaceX

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    Yeah, Musk revealed they had thought of canceling Falcon Heavy a couple of times.

But he has also stated that $/kg of payload continues to fall as the rocket size increases. It seems to me their work (and Blue Origin's) is predicated on the belief that the market will be there for increased payload to space. I agree.
    I'd think the falling dollars/kg only really works if you need the extra kg. Do they have any plans for two sats at a time, like Ariane 5?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    Yeah, Musk revealed they had thought of canceling Falcon Heavy a couple of times.

But he has also stated that $/kg of payload continues to fall as the rocket size increases. It seems to me their work (and Blue Origin's) is predicated on the belief that the market will be there for increased payload to space. I agree.
    Ok, second try, forum glitch.
    It seems to me that the dollar/kg thing only really works if you need the extra kg. Most customers probably don't. Do they have any plans for FH to launch two sats at a time, like Ariane5?

They also have a decent supply of recovered but not up to date F9's to use for expendable missions.

This is a test, because I'm having lots of difficulty posting to this thread in the past few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ok, second try, forum glitch.
    It seems to me that the dollar/kg thing only really works if you need the extra kg. Most customers probably don't. Do they have any plans for FH to launch two sats at a time, like Ariane5?
    Ariane 5 flying 2 satellites at once is a double edged sword; they get two revenues but it limits their launch cadence, having to wait for one large and one medium sized satellite to be available at once.

Falcon 9 has launched dual Boeing 702SP electric propulsion commsats twice, but Boeing's having trouble selling them (4 contracts) so again it's a cadence issue.

Constellation launches are another matter with F9 launching 10 Iridium NEXT's, and in the near future launching dozens of StarLink LEO internet constellation satellites per launch. An upcoming F9 launch for Spaceflight Inc. will send about 120 satellites uphill at once.

They also have a decent supply of recovered but not up to date F9's to use for expendable missions.
    They're now clearing out their hangars for the multi-flight reusable Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy Block 5's. The first Block 5 will be core B1046.1, launching Bangabandhu 1.
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2018-Mar-19 at 05:45 AM.

The SpaceX thread on page 2? I don't think so!

Today's Falcon 9 launch will more than likely try to catch the fairing (half) in Mr. Steven's net. No official confirmation from SpaceX, but the course of Mr. Steven was set with destination "Iridium 5" before they changed it into "your mom's house".

The first stage will not attempt to land because it's an old, outdated, second hand stage.

(PS evil me imagines SpaceX mixing up the co-ordinates. Image 1: the autonomous barge on which unexpectedly a fairing gently lands. Image 2: a first stage heading for Mr. Steven's net. Result: the world's largest pogo stick! )
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2018-Mar-30 at 12:32 PM.

Dang, missed it! I believe there's another in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post

(PS evil me imagines SpaceX mixing up the co-ordinates. Image 1: the autonomous barge on which unexpectedly a fairing gently lands. Image 2: a first stage heading for Mr. Steven's net. Result: the world's largest pogo stick! )
    Puts a new spin on pogo oscillations!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Dang, missed it! I believe there's another in a couple of days.
    Missed that one, too.

I just watched a 1 minute video of the Dragon approaching the ISS and being captured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ehN5NxvNBk

I saw thrusters firing on the dragon and wondered is this a preprogramed thruster control approach or is it a radar controlled approach or lastly is the approached controlled by someone on the ISS. My guess is that someone on the ISS is controlling the approach but know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    I just watched a 1 minute video of the Dragon approaching the ISS and being captured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ehN5NxvNBk

I saw thrusters firing on the dragon and wondered is this a preprogramed thruster control approach or is it a radar controlled approach or lastly is the approached controlled by someone on the ISS. My guess is that someone on the ISS is controlling the approach but know for sure?
    The ISS has a box called CUCU (CRS UHF Communication Unit) to give basic approach commands to Dragon 1, including a bug-out command which causes it to back off to a fixed position so they can start over. Dragon 1 itself has LIDAR, rangefinding and other optical sensors which target the Common Berthing Mechanism port on ISS. Once a few meters out it station-keeps so the robotic arm can grapple and berth it. That done, a series of electric bolts on ISS drive into the female threads on Dragon 1 to pull it up tight.

So the answer is, the thrusters can get under manual or automatic control

Dragon 2 (crew or cargo) uses an androgynous International Docking Adapter which allows it to automatically dock with ISS, Starliner, Orion, another Dragon 2 or any other IDA comparable port. No robotic arm needed. No doubt CUCU or something like it will be available for a manual ISS takeover if needed, but for Crew Dragon missions the pilot could also go manual..
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2018-Apr-13 at 04:38 AM.

Second launch of Falcon Heavy rocket slips to October.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ips-to-october

SpaceX fans eager to watch the second launch of the company’s massive Falcon Heavy rocket should forget about witnessing a second spectacle in June and sit tight for a few more months.

The U.S. Air Force is targeting October for its Space Test Program 2 mission, known as STP-2, a spokeswoman for the Air Force Space Command said in an email. The military had said earlier this year that it was targeting June, but the date has been pushed back due to ongoing qualification testing and engineering review.

SpaceX just launched their first Block 5 version of the Falcon 9 and landed the first stage on the drone ship. The paying customer is on the way to orbit.

I do like the new black landing legs, they give the white rocket some nice black highlights (I know that is not the primary purpose).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

"Musk details Block 5 improvements to Falcon 9"

http://spacenews.com/musk-details-bl...s-to-falcon-9/

SpaceX Chief Executive Elon Musk on May 10 went into detail on modifications made to the latest version of the Falcon 9, including redesigning a pressure vessel implicated in the rocket’s 2016 pre-launch explosion.

In a briefing with reporters hours before the scrubbed launch of the first Block 5 Falcon 9 rocket, Musk said the Block 5 is designed to be “the most reliable rocket ever built.”

“That is the design intent,” he said. “I hope fate doesn’t punish me for these words, but that is unequivocally the intent. And I think our most conservative customers would agree with that.”

I haven't seen a video posted, unless I overlooked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I do like the new black landing legs, they give the white rocket some nice black highlights (I know that is not the primary purpose).
    #alllegsarebeautiful #rocketshaming

They knew it in the sixties: a black-on-white rocket is a looker.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    I haven't seen a video posted, unless I overlooked it.
    At least four have been posted on YouTube. Here's one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3DDJXzcxk NBC: ~48 minutes

And here's one on a space-related Web site:
    https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/05/1...lock-5-launch/

and here's the one on the SpaceX web site:
    http://www.spacex.com/news/2018/05/1...ellite1mission

I found these (and many others) when I did a Web search for
    spacex block 5 launch video
    Selden

We were out shopping so I was about five minutes late for it and had to run the video back to watch the launch. Still cool!

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    At least four have been posted on YouTube. Here's one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3DDJXzcxk NBC: ~48 minutes

And here's one on a space-related Web site:
    https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/05/1...lock-5-launch/

and here's the one on the SpaceX web site:
    http://www.spacex.com/news/2018/05/1...ellite1mission

I found these (and many others) when I did a Web search for
    spacex block 5 launch video
    Thanks for those. It's a shame they lost the video signal from the first stage just before landing. That's always the most impressive part of SpaceX missions for me :-)
    Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's alloted span...
    (Phoenician proverb)

I feel like SpaceX's next real breakthrough will be stabilizing the signal from the droneship. Think of what that might mean for communications... lol

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by molesworth View Post
    Thanks for those. It's a shame they lost the video signal from the first stage just before landing. That's always the most impressive part of SpaceX missions for me :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I feel like SpaceX's next real breakthrough will be stabilizing the signal from the droneship. Think of what that might mean for communications... lol

CJSF
    That's pretty typical, and I bet it wouldn't take but a moment to find conspiracy theories about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I realize that you're joking, but I think this could be solved without too much difficulty.
    I suspect, however, that there isn't a great incentive to spend a bunch of money on this.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

They did have an earlier landing they showed from a distant aircraft. I wish they'd do that again.