Page 145 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,350 of 4782

Thread: SpaceX

Oh, My...pedal to the metal.

Michael Baylor @nextspaceflight
    SpaceX may resume Starship testing on Thursday with a road closure scheduled between 9 am and 6 pm Central time. Unclear if this testing will be for SN7.2 or SN10.
    Starship
    Keep up to date with all of the Starship action.
    nextspaceflight.com
    |
    Doitwrightrv @doitwrightrv
    According to a SpaceX security officer we spoke to today who was overseeing the cleanup, SN10 sustained no damage. They intend to push for launch within the next 1-2 weeks! So my money is definitely on SN10 😳 🚀

https://twitter.com/doitwrightrv/sta...13860927467520

I know it seems to defeat the purpose, but maybe a type of straightening chute just to get one down safely for inspection? Small cameras all in lines and tanks to see how things slosh about. Maybe a reinforced winged flyback to abuse? Oh, could you post a pic or three on the SLSS concept art? I can't get a print off NSF. That, the upper stage collection depot and perhaps a Cygnus-like Dragon-XL next to it for scale...docking.
    Last edited by publiusr; 2021-Feb-04 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Oh, My...pedal to the metal.

Michael Baylor @nextspaceflight
    SpaceX may resume Starship testing on Thursday with a road closure scheduled between 9 am and 6 pm Central time. Unclear if this testing will be for SN7.2 or SN10.
    Starship
    Keep up to date with all of the Starship action.
    nextspaceflight.com
    |
    Doitwrightrv @doitwrightrv
    According to a SpaceX security officer we spoke to today who was overseeing the cleanup, SN10 sustained no damage. They intend to push for launch within the next 1-2 weeks! So my money is definitely on SN10 �� ��

https://twitter.com/doitwrightrv/sta...13860927467520
    Unless the FAA squawks.

Feb. 4 (ALREADY LAUNCHED) : A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX's Starlink broadband network in a mission designated Starlink 18. It will lift off from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida, at 1:19 a.m. EST (0619 GMT).

Feb. 5: A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX's Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink 17. It will lift off from NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, at 5:14 a.m. EST (1014 GMT).

=== UPDATE

SpaceX successfully launched another set of Starlink satellites Feb. 4 in the first of back-to-back Falcon 9 launches scheduled from Cape Canaveral. The Falcon 9 rocket lifted off at 1:19 a.m. Eastern from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station. Its payload of 60 Starlink satellites separated from the rocket’s upper stage 65 minutes later.

https://spacenews.com/falcon-9-launc...nk-satellites/
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2021-Feb-04 at 01:24 PM.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Are we certain that Musk isn’t building a Dyson Sphere?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Are we certain that Musk isn’t building a Dyson Sphere?
    It would be funny if he was but decided it needed to be around Earth instead of the Sun.

Tests today. Pad is clear.

Either cryo-testing SN-10 or popping the 3mm steel SN-7.2 test tank to see what it can take.

Scott Manley has his evaluation of the SN9 test.

I thought it was a good analysis, but I'm not a rocket scientist. He thinks it was a different failure mode than SN8; probably a bad engine, and not problems with fuel flow.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

SN-7.2 popped, as was the goal. Needed to see how much pressure 3mm steel can take.

Starlink 17 and 18 were out of order.*

StarLink #17

Date: February 5, 2021 (tomorrow )
    Time: 0514 Eastern (1014 UT)

StarLink #19

Date: February 11, 2021
    Time: 0040 Eastern (0548 UT)

Looking like a GO for SN-10 soon

Everyday Astronaut@Erdayastronaut
    Of course, @SpaceX isn't "dumb" as @elonmusk joked, but they definitely are trying to bite off a lot with these early test flights and there's certainly room for improvement. We'll go over how we'll likely see this maneuver evolve and what upgrades we'll see in the future.
    |
    Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
    It was foolish of us not to start 3 engines & immediately shut down 1, as 2 are needed to land
    ||
    Adam Klotz @Adamklotz_
    Replying to @elonmusk @Erdayastronaut and @SpaceX
    Will these changes be able to be implemented into the SN10 test flight?
    |
    Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
    Yes

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1357422126161145856
    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1357422799330107393

I'm nothing more than located in the comfy armchair on this, but I too thought "maybe you should light up all three and shut the least loved one down if the other two look good". The static fires indicate they can spot a good burn incredibly fast anyway.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I'm nothing more than located in the comfy armchair on this, but I too thought "maybe you should light up all three and shut the least loved one down if the other two look good". The static fires indicate they can spot a good burn incredibly fast anyway.
    It's not like they didn't think about it, it's why they added the third engine in the first place...earlier concepts only had two. But it's more complex to do that, and wouldn't have helped SN8, since it's only useful for a problem internal to one of the engines.

I'm guessing SN9 turned out to be one such problem, hence them feeling foolish now. They knew how to handle losing an engine, had the hardware needed to do so, but thought they could get away without it for now.

Looking at post 4330. Wow, Musk sure stayed away from Twitter for a long time. (Looks like he was posting around midday Thursday.) Did he even manage 24 hours? He’s addicted.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Looking at post 4330. Wow, Musk sure stayed away from Twitter for a long time. (Looks like he was posting around midday Thursday.) Did he even manage 24 hours? He’s addicted.
    There are people Musk follows and usually replies to and Tim Dodd (Everyday Astronaut) is on that list.

SpaceX to launch NASA astrophysics mission. NASA awarded a contract to SpaceX for the launch of the Spectro-Photometer for the History of the Universe, Epoch of Reionization, and Ices Explorer (SPHEREx) spacecraft on a Falcon 9 in June 2024. The value of the launch contract is $98.8 million, which includes the launch itself and other “mission-related costs,” the agency said.

https://spacenews.com/spacex-to-laun...ysics-mission/

Feb. 7 -- Falcon 9 • Starlink V1.0-L17
    Launch time: 0931 GMT (4:31 a.m. EST)
    Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
    A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 19th batch of approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink V1.0-L17. Delayed from Jan. 29, Jan. 30, Jan. 31, Feb. 1, Feb. 2, Feb. 4, and Feb. 5.

The SN-08 FAA license violation was a "miscommunication,"

Christian Davenport @wapodavenport (Washington Post)

Some Congressional staffers were briefed *yesterday* on the SpaceX FAA launch license violation. They were told there was a miscommunication on modeling for how far any shockwave would travel from a blast and the damage it would cause--ie broken windows--in changing weather.
    |
    Given the communication problem, FAA investigated not only the SN8 hard landing but also did "a comprehensive review of the company’s safety culture, operational decision-making and process discipline." The investigation was done quickly and changes were incorporated for SN9.

https://twitter.com/wapodavenport/st...81385893412868

Op-ed | The FAA and SpaceX. Today, the fate of the SpaceX Starship offers an example of how government oversight agencies can stifle innovation when they are unable to distinguish between innovation and execution and throw roadblocks in front of the single company that has transformed access to space.

https://spacenews.com/op-ed-the-faa-and-spacex/

I do not personally agree with this opinion, just saw it as interesting for discussion.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2021-Feb-05 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    There are people Musk follows and usually replies to and Tim Dodd (Everyday Astronaut) is on that list.
    Okay, but that isn’t taking a break from twitter. It doesn’t matter to me, I just think it is funny that he said he was taking a break from Twitter and went right back to posting on twitter.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

He was away from Twitter for a full day! Both the daytime AND nighttime! It's something...

Regarding the FAA overviewing SN9 going kaboom: I can't have an opinion on that before knowing if, for how long, and under which conditions IF ANY they would restrict/delay future tests.

From what I've heard before, kaboom itself is not a problem for FAA as long as they've covered the risk involved in case of kaboom.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Op-ed | The FAA and SpaceX. Today, the fate of the SpaceX Starship offers an example of how government oversight agencies can stifle innovation when they are unable to distinguish between innovation and execution and throw roadblocks in front of the single company that has transformed access to space.

https://spacenews.com/op-ed-the-faa-and-spacex/

I do not personally agree with this opinion, just saw it as interesting for discussion.
    My impression was that there was only a very short delay due to this incident. It seems to me the FAA had a very rapid review process in this case, so I can’t get too concerned about it. If the FAA had delayed them for a couple months for review, I would be much more open to arguments the FAA was putting roadblocks in front of them. Or if they get more obstructive during future development I could easily see more to this argument.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Regarding the FAA overviewing SN9 going kaboom: I can't have an opinion on that before knowing if, for how long, and under which conditions IF ANY they would delay future tests.
    I was posting the same time you were. Yes, that’s pretty much my view as well. This wasn’t much of a delay, it remains to be seen what they do if/when future tests have their own anomalies.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I think we're being dragged along by Musk's impatience and constant Tweeting. The FAA was doing fine, so far as I am aware.

In the end things did indeed seem to go fast. Some miscommunication here and there apparently.

I can imagine the FAA will need to be involved if they'll want to allow tests with such a high chance of explosion in the future. Starship not only looks like a fifties rocket, it also explodes like one. So I say, if SpaceX and FAA find a way together to allow for safe testing of very unproven, RUD-inducing technology at a rapid pace, none involved can complain.

Another thing to watch is the FAA-AST licensing rules change in a few weeks, moving to a more relaxed and quicker permitting system pushed by the commercial operators.

SN-10

Raptor delivery & installations

Liquid nitrogen delivery

Space TFRs @SpaceTfrs
    Brownsville (TX) SpaceX temporary restriction: From February 08, 2021 at 1400 UTC To February 09, 2021 at 0030 UTC
    Altitude: From the surface up to and including 7200 feet MSL
    https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/det

https://twitter.com/spacetfrs/status...68851096219658

I watched the 7.2 pressure test video. I still haven't figured out the trebuchet in the foreground. Googling got me something about "Raptors Roost" but but no further.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Hans Koenigsmann, SpaceX's Vice President of Mission Assurance, is retiring. Off to annoy fish.

Taking over the reins will be former NASA Associate Administrator for Human Exploration and Operations William "Bill" Gerstenmaier.
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2021-Feb-07 at 04:25 AM.

SN11

Austin Barnard @austinbarnard45
    Feb 7, 2021
    SN11 is born
    |
    Space Colonize @Spacecolonize
    SpaceX is a monster of production

Can you imagine how the SLS team feels watching this?

Rocket blows up, its replacement is already built, 2 days later its 2nd replacement is nearing completion.

A rocket a week or two is an unimaginable flex.

20210207_174045.jpg

https://twitter.com/Spacecolonize/st...20192272277506

Crew-1 breaks Skylab record

NOGUCHI, Soichi 野口 聡-(のぐち そういち @Astro_Soichi
    Historic "joint" crew photo! Today #Crew1 broke the record for longest US space capsule mission ever,Skylab 4's 84-day record in 1974. We were honored & thrilled to talk to #Skylab #astronaut Ed Gibson. Thanks @ASE_Astronauts!

https://twitter.com/Astro_Soichi/sta...01280306655239