Page 108 of 113 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 3372

Thread: SpaceX

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Scrubbed, and the fleet seems to be relocating to the Anasis II landing zone.
    Where is that? I haven't heard of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I thought the present legs were too short if it is ever to land on an uneven surface and especially if there is any give as the rocket settles.
    I think they are attached in rather the same way Protonís fuel tanks wereómore surrounding the tankage so as not to stove in the sides.

Better to get it right than to catch launch fever.

Any news on a test or flight this week?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Any news on a test or flight this week?
    I haven't seen anything.

I'm sorely tempted to post a poll: What outcome do you predict for S/N 5's 500 foot hop?
    1. No hop at all, blew up during static fire.
    2. Blew up on the pad when lit for the hop.
    3. Hopped but crashed on landing.
    4. Hopped and landed, then fell over.
    5. Hopped and landed successfully.
    6. Mass simulator achieved orbit.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

StarLink L9's upper stage needs swapping out. They'll send it to McGregor or Hawthorne for repair and use one of the hot spares stored at KSC.

F9: ANASIS-II

Launch date: Sunday, July 19
    Launch time: 1700 Eastern (2100 GMT)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I haven't seen anything.

I'm sorely tempted to post a poll: What outcome do you predict for S/N 5's 500 foot hop?
    1. No hop at all, blew up during static fire.
    2. Blew up on the pad when lit for the hop.
    3. Hopped but crashed on landing.
    4. Hopped and landed, then fell over.
    5. Hopped and landed successfully.
    6. Mass simulator achieved orbit.
    Upcoming events,

SN-05: static fire & 150m hop, single Raptor engine. The hop could be as early as next week.

SN-06: most likely a hot spare for if SN-05 fails, or scrapped if it succeeds.

SN-08: full structure with a payload module, canards, lower fins, and 3 Raptor engines. Flight envelope expansion.

It's uncertain if there will be more SN-07-style test tanks. There could be if they make a fabrication of materials change - which is almost certain to be the case.

I think the largest risk is the jackknife landing legs. They haven't been used before, and we know per Musk they will be lengthened and splayed out for a wider stance in later builds. I put it at 2:1 odds of full success.

StarLink L9's upper stage needs swapping out. They'll send it to McGregor or Hawthorne for repair and use one of the hot spares stored at KSC.
    Best I can tell from SpaceX Twitter, it's the Anasis II upper stage that might have needed swapping.

Any guesses as to the function of the double concrete box they've been building at the launch site? Safe storage for equipment during a launch? Doesn't look like a proper blockhouse. And there appears to be a window on the side toward the launch structure.

No idea about the "boxes," .things are changing so fast it's hard to keep up.

Boca Chic road closures

Dates: July 19, 20, 21
    Times: 0900 - 1800 Eastern

FCC Special Temporary Authority

https://fcc.report/ELS/Space-Explora...041-EX-ST-2020

2020-07-16
    Operation Start Date: 08/18/2020
    Operation End Date: 02/18/2021
    >
    This STA uses information from previous grant 0150-EX-ST-2020 and is necessary to authorize*Starship Prototype suborbital test vehicle communications for medium altitude hop tests (max altitude 20km) from the Boca Chica launch pad, and the experimental recovery following the suborbital hops.
    >

I feel kind of bad for the people who had their retirement or vacation houses out in that little development.

I feel kind of bad for the people who had their retirement or vacation houses out in that little development.
    Happens all the time. Folks in Detroit Michigan and Windsor Ontario are losing property for the new Gordie Howe International Bridge, and innumerable other new projects.

Gordie-Howe-Bridge-conceptual-drawing.jpg

Honestly, it'd be best to get out while the property's still worth something. Hurricane Beulah put most of the lots there permanently under water the year the settlement was built, the rest could follow any year. It probably should never have been considered a suitable location for a residential area.

Marcia Smith @SpcPlcyOnline

Q-how to allow for on-ramping new heavy lift capabilities?
    Bridenstine: SLS will be fully qualified next year. But generational leaps being developed by other companies and want to encourage that, so partnerships to help them develop tech. Doing it with Starship for over a yr.

https://twitter.com/SpcPlcyOnline/st...99730793381888

I’ve thought some about what might follow Starship.
    Imagine a ‘hollow’ rocket—by that I mean the center core would be an elongated torus.
    Strap-on tanks/rockets would return to barge/launch site as per normal, but the payload bay actually runs the length of the LV, which is stage and a half itself—-meaning the surrounding tankage can be filled with fluids that double as shielding.

Rocket diversification with OTRAGs serving as cookies to a payload ice cream center—an ice cream sandwich with the payload being wide, flat metal plates might allow for simple construction of large surface areas—just the thing for DE-STAR to beam power.

Starship 2.0 has already been defined, and SpaceX has sworn off strap-on boosters after Falcon Heavy.

Starship 2.0 will be 18 meters in diameter, but not twice as long - stubbier.

Interestingly, this makes it large enough in diameter for a Discovery One-style gravity centrifuge deck - but being larger in diameter than Discovery One the Coriolis effects would be slightly reduced.
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Jul-20 at 06:52 AM.

Starship 2.0 has already been defined, and SpaceX has sworn off strap-on boosters after Falcon Heavy.
    That’s interesting. Have they said why? I’d guess it might cause added operational completely but a very large rocket stage has its own issues.

Interestingly, this makes it large enough in diameter for a Discovery One-style gravity centrifuge deck - but being larger in diameter than Discovery One the Coriolis effects would be slightly reduced.
    I’ve seen arguments about whether a Discovery style centrifuge would be practical. A small centrifuge with a significant rotation can cause discomfort especially as people stand up, turn their heads, etc. If you want a centrifuge that will work for most people and with decent effective gravity, it is almost certainly too small. On the other hand, some people are much better at adapting so with careful selection it might be acceptable for some, but my impression is that is still not well established.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    That’s interesting. Have they said why? I’d guess it might cause added operational completely but a very large rocket stage has its own issues.
    It starts with mechanical and aerodynamic complexity, then extends to more complex recoveries. Multiple barges may be fine for FH flight rates, but not so much when a Starship for Point to Point transportation could fly 3 times a day. Drop tanks? Disposable drop tanks drive up costs, and recoverable drop tanks drive up recovery infrastructure.

I’ve seen arguments about whether a Discovery style centrifuge would be practical. A small centrifuge with a significant rotation can cause discomfort especially as people stand up, turn their heads, etc. If you want a centrifuge that will work for most people and with decent effective gravity, it is almost certainly too small. On the other hand, some people are much better at adapting so with careful selection it might be acceptable for some, but my impression is that is still not well established.
    Coriolis effects are worst when you're moving about a lot, but how much of that do we really do? ISTM the centrifuge's best use would be as a sleeping and library/office/web lounge deck, during which you catch enough Z's and G's to mitigate microgravity's medical issues. Big crew? Hot bunk in shifts.
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Jul-20 at 09:23 AM.

Starship 2.0 will be 18 meters in diameter, but not twice as long - stubbier.

I doubt that the rotational velocities would be large enough for Coriolis effects to have very much effect on people. They would probably get used to something like this in a relative short amount of time. IMO as a concept like this has never been test in space.

ANASIS-II launch today

Date: Monday July 20
    Launch window: 1700 Eastern (2100 UT) - 2055 Eastern (00:55 UT)
    Weather: 70%

https://youtu.be/TshvZlQ7le8

ANASIS-II launch today

Date: Monday July 20
    Launch window: 1700 Eastern (2100 UT) - 2055 Eastern (00:55 UT)
    Weather: 70%

https://youtu.be/TshvZlQ7le8
    Perfect flight, satellite in a good transfer orbit.

First stage landed about 1/3 meter off dead center.

Stage recovery #57

The stage, first used for Crew Dragon DM-2, beat Shuttle Atlantis's turnaround record of 54 days by 3 - 51 days.

And, BOTH fairing halves were caught by Ms Tree and Ms Chief.

Time for a brewski!

Stage recovery #57

The stage, first used for Crew Dragon DM-2, beat Shuttle Atlantis's turnaround record of 54 days by 3 - 51 days.

Time for a brewski!
    Did they provide any capture footage of either fairing halves? Congratulations of the successful mission, SpaceX.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Did they provide any capture footage of either fairing halves? Congratulations of the successful mission, SpaceX.
    Not yet, but they usually do after successes or near misses.

Random thought: "Anasis" doesn't sound very Korean! Presumably an acronym.

Stage recovery #57

Time for a brewski!
    I wonder if catching both fairings was just a good day or have they modified the process?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    I wonder if catching both fairings was just a good day or have they modified the process?
    Both. They're constantly tuning the hardware and software; parafoils, the fairing's avionics and thruster packs, the ship's auto-tracking system, etc. It's a very complex development.

Fairing recovery videos
    https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1285632635335782401

Both. They're constantly tuning the hardware and software; parafoils, the fairing's avionics and thruster packs, the ship's auto-tracking system, etc. It's a very complex development.

Fairing recovery videos
    The animated version.

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Nothing but net!
    I seriously hadn't realized quite how huge those nets are!

KUKA robotic welders, SN-08 bits, another Raptor arrives, level 2 of the High Bay going in, playing with airfoils, etc.

https://youtu.be/mTO9m590uI8

Fairing recovery videos
    Thanks for that. You've got to love their iterative approach to development, whether a given iteration succeeds or fails its usually spectacular.