Page 113 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 3538

Thread: SpaceX

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    It's not a namechange but a clarification of what kind of Raptor it's refering to.
    It's previously been stated to be something completely different. It's a change.

I've been wondering about those tiles. Is the body radius large enough that they can be completely flat on the underside?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've been wondering about those tiles. Is the body radius large enough that they can be completely flat on the underside?
    ISTM it depends on the size of the tile and the mounting system.

TUFROC uses a mounting plate, pin and tile, but though they signed the SAA to get it doesn't mean they'll use all of it, or use it at all.

TUFROC.jpg

Super Heavy booster; High Bay build.

John Randolph @JohnRand0061
    It's hard to capture just how tall this crane is. I would like to see SN5 hop over it. #SpaceX #bocachica

IMG_20200808_133838.jpg

IMG_20200808_133856.jpg

https://twitter.com/JohnRand0061/sta...73190961176579

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    They just didn't look aerodynamic but I can envision shield testing on these hops although the temperature won't really get high enough to really do good testing.
    At this point they are testing attachment methods, rather than thermal performance.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

SN-05 and SN-06 will indeed form a tag team...

Everyday Astronaut @Erdayastronaut
    Spot the tiny humans!!! This shot really puts it into scale!!! A full blown Starship and SuperHeavy will be hard to fathom!!!!
    |
    RGVAerialPhotography@RGVaerialphotos
    SN5 after its historic 150M Hop!
    @elonmusk #spacex #bocachica
    2100ftMsl 🛩📷🚀 08/07
    What’s do you think will happen to it after it gets moved?
    http://patreon.com/RGVaerial

IMG_20200808_233503.jpg
    |
    Everyday Astronaut
    Replying to @Erdayastronaut
    @elonmusk what’s gonna happen to our good friend SN-5? Will it fly again? Will it get 3 raptors and fly a little higher? Will it Hopper and just watch the others fly?
    |
    Elon Musk @elonmusk
    Not sure yet, but hopefully. Will need leg & other repairs. Probably SN6 flies before SN5. We need to make flights simple & easy — many per day.

https://twitter.com/Erdayastronaut/s...21982910615552
    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1292226279995879426

Now, when super heavy fires up, they will have to deal with greater gouts of flame.
    Might the boring company help out? A lined, vacuum “filled” tunnel asterisk with its own burst disks? Doable?

The stand survived, some minor stuff cooked, but a crater was dug in the concrete near the stand - exposing & tearing up the rebar.

It needs some sore of plume diverter, a stronger deck around the stand, and they need bulk up the water deluge before they move to 3 Velociraptors.

After that, they'll need the Super Heavy stand for 6, 9, 19 or 31 of the beasts
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Aug-09 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Hmm, I realized it's fairly simple to at least partially answer.
    Body radius is 4.5m.
    Tiles look to be about .5m across the flats or .25m center to edge.
    Pythagoras says that means the radius out to the edge of the flats is the square root of (4.5^2 +.25^2). 4.507m. So that gap under the edges of a flat tile is about 7mm. That's quite a bit.
    I'd probably curve them.

Now, if you leave lunar starship behind on the Moon as infrastructure, it won’t need tiles at all if the crew came back via capsule.
    It might be easier to do a Moon landing first and do re-entry tests later on as a shuttle replacement.
    It’s worth as a lander would be cemented by that time.

[
    Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Now, if you leave lunar starship behind on the Moon as infrastructure, it won’t need tiles at all if the crew came back via capsule.

It might be easier to do a Moon landing first and do re-entry tests later on as a shuttle replacement.

It’s worth as a lander would be cemented by that time.
    Lunar Starship will serve as a shuttle between the lunar surface and vehicles based at the Gateway station, with crews transferring to an Earth return vehicle.

This is a decent model, with the nose having a conformal solar array for power like Crew Dragon.

sygyqvbm22w41.jpg
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Aug-10 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Lunar Starship will serve as a shuttle between the lunar surface and vehicles based at the Gateway station, with crews transferring to an Earth return vehicle.
    As things are currently, it will transfer between the lunar surface and other vehicles (in NHRO in the case of Orion), with no Gateway being involved. Gateway's still being developed, but is no longer part of the moon landing architecture.

If Gateway actually gets launched, I think Gateway supporters will be quite happy to have Starship continue to operate without it. Pictures of their station docked to Starship will not be helpful in getting continued funding.

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    As things are currently, it will transfer between the lunar surface and other vehicles (in NHRO in the case of Orion), with no Gateway being involved. Gateway's still being developed, but is no longer part of the moon landing architecture.
    I thought they were bypassing Gateway just for the 2024-ish missions.

If Gateway actually gets launched, I think Gateway supporters will be quite happy to have Starship continue to operate without it. Pictures of their station docked to Starship will not be helpful in getting continued funding.
    It does look rather silly, doesn't it?

Starship at Gateway.jpg

Musical Starships

SN-05 is back at the shipyard for refurb/upgrades, and there's another road closure this afternoon - presumably for SN-06's trip to the pad.

https://twitter.com/shubh_K3/status/1293172404664107010

https://youtu.be/vv9rSrCsHDg
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Aug-11 at 03:33 PM.

I thought they were bypassing Gateway just for the 2024-ish missions.

It does look rather silly, doesn't it?

Starship at Gateway.jpg
    It really looks like a ship from 50's sci-fi movie universe accidentally wandered into ours.

It'll look more Heinlein-esq as time passes.

Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
    Aug 11, 2020
    SN 5 & 6 at Starship Production Complex in Texas
    |
    SN7 will be new alloy test tank taken to burst pressure. SN8 will have body flaps & nosecone

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1293250108436488194

IMG_20200811_141745.jpg

Dr. Phil Metzger @DrPhiltill (planetary scientist)
    Gwynne Shotwell/@SpaceX: We are going to be putting enhancements into the Starship prototypes that you will see hopping.

https://twitter.com/DrPhiltill/statu...24316411183107

Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
    Aug 11, 2020
    Replying to @flcnhvy
    Same hex tiles, slightly different mounting method. Need bigger sections of tiles to see how they hold up with cryo shrinkage, pressure expansion & body bending.
    |
    Chris @Twisi80
    And you can make a cool looking SpaceX logo with them

IMG_20200811_154459.jpg

https://twitter.com/Twisi80/status/1293251461321764865

And once again they've got a killer test programme going at SpaceX. First they had the "free" landing tests using commercial F9 launches. Now they have these Starship prototypes doing flight tests back-to-back while at the same time honing the construction and ground operations. This way, by the time the first fully complete Starship is built, they'll have all the other aspects of the process pretty much on point too. This obviously isn't free of charge, but by making the step to hardware soon, they do lots of parallel development/testing. And given the nature of their construction, these prototypes are not that expensive either.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

The rocket bodies may not be all that expensive, but I'd guess the engines are!

They'll sure be a major cost item in the vehicle. Now according to Musk, they aren't all that expensive though; certainly compared to other rocket engines. And as long as they don't kaboom, they can use them for many tests. Musk says less than 1 million (now or in the near future) for a current version Raptor. Which means you don't want to lose them on a daily basis, but in the grand scheme of things that's very affordable.

Which makes me think, maybe when he gets bored, Musk should go for the land speed record.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    They'll sure be a major cost item in the vehicle. Now according to Musk, they aren't all that expensive though; certainly compared to other rocket engines. And as long as they don't kaboom, they can use them for many tests. Musk says less than 1 million (now or in the near future)
    >
    Musk says that in full production Raptor costs about $2 million, but in Starship it's reusable. ULA will pay Blue about $16 million for a pair of BE-4's for Vulcan, so $8 million each for a single use until they figure out a reuse scheme (if ever). Personally, I think ULA should just buy reusable New Glenns and put a ULA sticker on them.
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Aug-13 at 12:55 AM.

Wow. Even Russia probably can't build them for that.

S/N 6 appears to have been set onto the launch structure, 5 back in the mid-bay.

I've been trying to figure out the height of the new high bay. I'm figuring about 5 feet or 1.5 meter between the horizontal members. Looks like 20 of those per big panel, so the third tier is topping out at about 300 feet. Pretty impressive. Two more tiers and you can enclose the Space Needle it.

The new High Bay is said to top off at over 81 meters.

Musk says that in full production Raptor costs about $2 million, but in Starship it's reusable. ULA will pay Blue about $16 million for a pair of BE-4's for Vulcan, so $8 million each for a single use until they figure out a reuse scheme (if ever). Personally, I think ULA should just buy reusable New Glenns and put a ULA sticker on them.
    2 million per raptor is what he said was the cost at the time (early dev) in june 2019. In october 2019 he said that Raptor 1.0 already was "tracking to well under 1 million" with Raptor 2.0 expected to end up at 200k. Well, that's a Musk prediction but still.

Hmm, my estimate is a little high then.

Stuff that amuses me: To check that I opened my little unit converter app. Upon switching to "distance", the conversion was on meters to feet and the last number entered was 81!

Are you indicating that it finished building at >81m or that it will be built higher than it is currently?

Musk originally said the High Bay would top off at 81 meters, but since then he also said the new fixed legs on Super Heavy will add 2 meters to the full stack height - taking it from 120 to 122 meters. This could mean the High Bay needs another 2 meters to accommodate SH's new legs, so 83 meters. Maybe.

SN-06 proof testing road closures

Primary Date: August 16, 0900 – 1800 Eastern
    Backup Date 1: August 17, 0900 – 1800 Eastern
    Backup Date 2: August 18, 0900 – 1800 Eastern

Wait -- how does a 122m rocket fit in an 83m building?

ETA: Ok, I see. 122 is Super Heavy plus Starship.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2020-Aug-13 at 11:18 PM.

Musk originally said the High Bay would top off at 81 meters, but since then he also said the new fixed legs on Super Heavy will add 2 meters to the full stack height - taking it from 120 to 122 meters. This could mean the High Bay needs another 2 meters to accommodate SH's new legs, so 83 meters. Maybe.

SN-06 proof testing road closures

Primary Date: August 16, 0900 – 1800 Eastern
    Backup Date 1: August 17, 0900 – 1800 Eastern
    Backup Date 2: August 18, 0900 – 1800 Eastern
    Ok the vehicle will be around 122 m. What will be the height of each part?