Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 377785868788 LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 2636

Thread: SpaceX

Would the same sound mitigation be used for any would-be sea launches, though? And what's the impact of this noise level on marine and coast life? My previous question was more about that than land launches at 39-A.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Would the same sound mitigation be used for any would-be sea launches, though? And what's the impact of this noise level on marine and coast life? My previous question was more about that than land launches at 39-A.

CJSF
    I doubt they'll just shoot the plume at the water's surface because it's salt water, which is very corrosive - and abrasive if partly evaporated. A blistering hot salt spray being back-splashed and abrading the platforms steel structure is the last thing they'd want.

Coolness....

Malcolm Head @malcolmmarsman
    Starship's success revolves around the skydiver-and-flip manuver, which appears to be extremely complex. What gives you confidence that it will work?

https://twitter.com/malcolmmarsman/s...48482005053449
    |
    Elon Musk @elonmusk
    No problem. We could program Starship to perform Swan Lake in the sky. Minimizing landing burn propellant mass is what's hard.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1192549052170166272
    |
    Charles A. Lurio @TheLurioReport
    Replying to @elonmusk @Malcolmmarsman and @flcnhvy
    Starship pull-up maneuver was conceived in '90s for never-built, incremental successors to DC-X. Old tech. Now, Swan Lake could probably use today's computing power.

https://twitter.com/TheLurioReport/s...26084535242752

DC-X Flight #8: "Swan Dive" maneuver

https://youtu.be/wv9n9Casp1o

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    That would work if there are rather calm seas, without the platform oscillating with waves or some method of launch pad dampening, much like a drilling assembly stabilization.
    That's part of the beauty of semi-submersibles. Once ballasted down, they are quite stable and little affected by waves, even without dynamic positioning.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That's part of the beauty of semi-submersibles. Once ballasted down, they are quite stable and little affected by waves, even without dynamic positioning.
    You obviously have not been on one during very rough sea conditions.

@spacepadreisle
    #Starship MK1 at #SpaceX #BocaChica first round of testing delayed one more day due to major cold front. Now rescheduled for Wednesday and Thursday Nov 13-14, 12-8pm co.cameron.tx.us/wp/space-x/

https://twitter.com/spacepadreisle/s...44896774950912

IMG_20191109_121732.jpg

You obviously have not been on one during very rough sea conditions.
    The weird part is not when the dustbin, all by itself, tumbles over and empties itself all over the bridge floor. The weird part is when 6 seconds later, all by itself, all the litter proceeds in the direction of the dustbin, hops in, and the dustbin rights itself up again.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    The weird part is not when the dustbin, all by itself, tumbles over and empties itself all over the bridge floor. The weird part is when 6 seconds later, all by itself, all the litter proceeds in the direction of the dustbin, hops in, and the dustbin rights itself up again.
    Any boat on Gitchi-Gami during a fall storm?

Wicked waters that can scare the bejesus out of you....
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2019-Nov-12 at 06:04 AM.

Close. Atlantic crossings with vessels optimized for very different conditions.

Starship Mk1

Preps underway for the start of ground support equipment (GSE), pressure and fuelling tests, and a static fire.

The fun begins tomorrow, so fire up LabPadre's live stream.

https://youtu.be/UkPyUUOT1dg

The Cargo Starship bid for NASAs CLPS commercial lunar lander program. It was chosen.

Cropped & zoomed from the "big" file

Cargo Starship Nov 2019-2048.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Starship Mk1

Preps underway for the start of ground support equipment (GSE), pressure and fuelling tests, and a static fire.

The fun begins tomorrow, so fire up LabPadre's live stream.

https://youtu.be/UkPyUUOT1dg
    Static as in tethered/held down?

Static as in tethered/held down?
    Yes. I doubt they'd fly before doing one, it's their standard procedure. They also did a static fire before the Starhopper hopped.

Oopsie!!

Mk1 popped its top during pressurization tests. Looked like a weld unzipped. Musk says they're moving on to Mk3.

When he says "quite different" one example seen on Mk2 is the upper dome was built an entirely different way.

Mk1 Starship Nov 20 pressure failure2.jpg

Everyday Astronaut @Erdayastronaut
    Starship MK-1 appears to have blown its top off during a pressure test today. My guess... this will be a good time for @spacex to move onto their next, more refined and higher quality versions (MK-2/3) instead of reparing MK-1. @elonmusk, any chance you’ll just move onto MK-3?
    |
    Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
    Absolutely, but to move to Mk3 design. This had some value as a manufacturing pathfinder, but flight design is quite different.
    4:54 PM - Nov 20, 2019

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1197271943180771329

Turns out they were moving on to the Mk3 builds for flight anyhow. Those use the single-piece ring segments and a different dome design.

SpaceX statement

The purpose of today's test was to pressurize systems to the max, so the outcome was not completely unexpected. There were no injuries, nor is this a serious setback. As Elon tweeted, Mk1 served as a valuable manufacturing pathfinder but flight design is quite different. The decision had already been made to not fly this test article and the team is focused on the Mk3 builds, which are designed for orbit.
    Video of it letting go at the tweet

https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/...06617760559104

So how about the 20km hop? Or did they expect it to let go so violently during pressurization that it would throw itself up that high?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    So how about the 20km hop? Or did they expect it to let go so violently during pressurization that it would throw itself up that high?
    It sounds like they'd already decided to do that with the Mk3 instead:

Quote Originally Posted by Everyday Astronaut
    Starship MK-1 appears to have blown its top off during a pressure test today. My guess... this will be a good time for @spacex
    to move onto their next, more refined and higher quality versions (MK-2/3) instead of reparing MK-1. @elonmusk
    , any chance you’ll just move onto MK-3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon Musk
    Absolutely, but to move to Mk3 design. This had some value as a manufacturing pathfinder, but flight design is quite different.
    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1197271943180771329

It's sounding like they'll be getting new tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    It sounds like they'd already decided to do that with the Mk3 instead:
    Maybe. I can certainly see where they could have decided that the first model was found to have too many design issues and couldn’t go forward. (I think of the space shuttle Enterprise as an example of a similar issue.) On the other hand I have seen some comments about a rumor that they made a mistake and over-pressurized it, and this is a bit of face saving.

in any case, at most this just means a bit of testing delay, so no big deal.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Had they been using actual LOX and methane I expect there's have been quite the fireball. It only takes one spark.

Given the volume, could that much nitrogen displace the air and present a suffocation hazard over a substantial area, at least briefly?

Also, no re-enactment of that scene from Golden Eye? “I am invincible!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Given the volume, could that much nitrogen displace the air and present a suffocation hazard over a substantial area, at least briefly?

Also, no re-enactment of that scene from Golden Eye? “I am invincible!”
    Air will be heavier once the nitrogen warms to comparable temperatures, and prior to that you'd be rapidly exiting the area so as to not freeze to death. It's certainly a hazard in enclosed areas, but I wouldn't expect it to be much of one outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    Air will be heavier once the nitrogen warms to comparable temperatures, and prior to that you'd be rapidly exiting the area so as to not freeze to death. It's certainly a hazard in enclosed areas, but I wouldn't expect it to be much of one outdoors.
    I can relate an experience earlier in my life. I was standing next to a nitrogen truck that was venting gaseous N2 onto the ground where it hovered until warmed up and wasn't visible. While standing there my steel toed boots became frozen and the soles cracked when I started walking out of the mist. Now I'm not saying that there wasn't a fraction of an inch of air below the N2 mist, but the soles were definitely impacted.

Apparently Boca Chica's Mk3 rings will be built using an IMCAR Spa vertical tank rolling/welding machine.

https://youtu.be/VdX4IfsGY4Q

https://youtu.be/E7kamq_U8cI

Different system, but many of these build from the bottom

https://youtu.be/w-ARF26P2rI

Mk3 ring
    Mk3 ring 2b.jpg

Cocoa FL.

Vehicle construction is being transferred to the new SpaceX Operations Area at the Kennedy Space Center. Starship Mk2 should be moved there shortly. Smaller fabrication jobs may remain at Cocoa.

I'd like to see the MK1 laid on its belly and fitted out as an exhibit, or perhaps in a playground.
    Any plans for it besides the scrapyard?

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I'd like to see the MK1 laid on its belly and fitted out as an exhibit, or perhaps in a playground.
    Any plans for it besides the scrapyard?
    Put in a museum of bad ideas alongside the Tesla pickup with the unbreakable windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Put in a museum of bad ideas alongside the Tesla pickup with the unbreakable windows?
    The window broke because the sledge hammer blow deflected the 30X SS door panel. Hard stuff, which damaged the window's bottom edge. Minor mods should mitigate the issue.

It was suggested to Musk they sell special edition Cybertrucks made from Mk1 metal. "Sure, why not?"

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    The window broke because the sledge hammer blow deflected the 30X SS door panel. Hard stuff, which damaged the window's bottom edge. Minor mods should mitigate the issue.

It was suggested to Musk they sell special edition Cybertrucks made from Mk1 metal. "Sure, why not?"
    I'm probably wrong, but I seriously wondered if they had done it on purpose to get free publicity.
    As above, so below

New SpaceX Operations Area, south of the Vehicle Assembly Building at KSC. This will be the new Florida main build site, starting with Starship Mk4.

Starship Mk3 is already being built at Boca Chica, TX.

@baserunner0723
    New permit from SpaceX showing plans to clear more land at the Roberts Road site for further development. Not too much here to go on but SpaceX has proposed buying 0.54 forested wetland credits from NeoVerde Mitigation Bank to offset direct and secondary impacts to the wetlands

EKfeP16WwAADxN3.jpeg

https://twitter.com/baserunner0723/s...72204421505024