Page 95 of 101 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,850 of 3026

Thread: SpaceX

Definitely evolving into a space-shipyard

https://youtu.be/AgZQ_WLCnUs

​​​​​

Starting to look very straight, with a small and big exception...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

The long "exception" near the top looks like a feature rather than a bug. Umbilical connection area, perhaps.

The nose cone still looks pretty rough.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

This one is still for suborbital tests, and the upper/lower nose cone halves were only part welded. They're building an automated weld planisher and other tools for later builds, and the SpaceX 30X alloy isn't being used yet.

Nose cone looks better today, and it looks like they've started assembling High Bay 2 (Super Heavy).

https://youtu.be/__IbTCTe8ec

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    This one is still for suborbital tests, and the upper/lower nose cone halves were only part welded. They're building an automated weld planisher and other tools for later builds, and the SpaceX 30X alloy isn't being used yet.

Nose cone looks better today, and it looks like they've started assembling High Bay 2 (Super Heavy).

https://youtu.be/__IbTCTe8ec
    It's an amazing transformation from what amounted to a couple of windbreaks in the middle of nowhere a few months back.

Starship SN-03's propulsion module may be going to the pad over the weekend. Pressure tests, static fire, then integration with other bits for flight.

Starship SN-04 parts have been seen; ring segments, domes, etc.

They aren't slowing down even a little.

SN3 got destroyed during a cryogenic proof test.

And yes, the collapse did start at the big old dent as you'd expect. I'm not saying the dent is the root cause though, because when the craft fails due to something else giving, the crumbling would start at the dent anyway.

So...onwards to SN4!

Isn’t Texas under a stay at home order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post

And yes, the collapse did start at the big old dent as you'd expect. I'm not saying the dent is the root cause though, because when the craft fails due to something else giving, the crumbling would start at the dent anyway.

So...onwards to SN4!
    Well, that’s disappointing. There was an Arstechnica article soon after SN2 failed with a Musk interview. He was very unhappy with the last failure and there were hints that one or more engineers were fired. Hopefully they can work it out before development money runs out. I am thinking my original time estimate is looking more realistic (Musk is consistently too optimistic on time).
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2020-Apr-03 at 01:04 PM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Isn’t Texas under a stay at home order?
    They have an “essential business” classification, I think due to defense work, and Musk isn’t voluntarily closing offices, though is doing the standard thing of telling people to stay home if sick.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post

So...onwards to SN4!
    That's bad but I guess it a learning experience.

Scott Manley video.

My take:
    When it happens the first time, you figure there was something wrong with the build.
    When it happens the second time, you figure there was something wrong with design.
    When it happens the third time, you figure there was something wrong with the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Scott Manley video.

My take:
    When it happens the first time, you figure there was something wrong with the build.
    When it happens the second time, you figure there was something wrong with design.
    When it happens the third time, you figure there was something wrong with the concept.
    But Scott has a good point: This one may be due to another cause, like a testing error. We’ll see, but if it is just a process mistake, the next one may be fine.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Scott Manley video.

My take:
    What's happened twice? Each failure has been completely different.

I note that the first 3 flights of the Falcon 1 failed. Apparently they should have just given up on rocketry?

Not a design/build issue

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1246677676733104130

Pranay Pathole @PPathole
    Replying to @elonmusk and 2 others
    Elon, it seemed like CH4 tank was filled and the LOX tank which was not filled collapsed because of the weight.
    |
    Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
    Pretty much. Good news is that this was a test configuration error, rather than a design or build mistake. Not enough pressure in the LOX tank ullage to maintain
    |
    |There are redundant pressure control valves. It’s a new system and SN3 was simply commanded wrong. Rockets are hard.
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2020-Apr-05 at 07:49 AM.

Tssss. That's an error that will NEVER happen to me! What with me not building rockets and all that...

Well, here's to SN4. Will SN4 be connected with the super duper planisher? About time to see a rocket as nice as the fuel tanks next to it.

What about wrapping the tanks with composites—could RCC even be wound?

It's best to have a problem before applying a solution. There is no indication that the current tank concept cannot work.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    They dropped composites in favor of stainless steel over a year ago back when it was called the BFR. Two major issues: temperature limitations would require much better thermal protection and cost was far higher. Assuming this was a procedure problem as stated and not fundamental to design, it wouldn’t make sense to go back to composites.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    But Scott has a good point: This one may be due to another cause, like a testing error. We’ll see, but if it is just a process mistake, the next one may be fine.
    And you were right on the money. It took multiple attempts for SpaceX to successfully launch their first rocket and even more attempts before they had their first successful booster landing. SpaceX's iterative approach may not be everyone's cup of tea but recent events hardly give any great confidence in the alternate methods used by Boeing.

SN-04 is coming quicker than expected; they'll be recycling much of SN-03's lower dome/thrust structure and skirt.

Also, 3 Raptor engines are on site.

IMG_20200405_033138.jpg

RCC is a rigid, brittle material, it can not be wound. And it's a leading edge material, the tanks aren't going to experience the kind of heating that require it...they barely need shielding in the first place. Most of the tank surface still won't require shielding, so wrapping them in it would just waste useful payload mass.

The reason I suggested it was that an overwrap might allow higher pressures—oh well.
    I’ve been watching too many westerns with piano wire wrapped around cannons...

The reason I suggested it was that an overwrap might allow higher pressures—oh well.
    I’ve been watching too many westerns with piano wire wrapped around cannons...
    The Royal Navy used wire-wound big guns for many years. They had excellent bursting strength but lacked stiffness.

I'm feeling a bit of an idiot for not realizing until a few minutes ago that the liquid nitrogen used in the test is about twice as dense as liquid methane.

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    SN-04 is coming quicker than expected; they'll be recycling much of SN-03's lower dome/thrust structure and skirt.

Also, 3 Raptor engines are on site.

IMG_20200405_033138.jpg
    On three non-identical pallets, pallets which happen to not be made out of billet aluminium, and a pile of rags next to one of them. In a tent. And all of this makes perfect sense when you're designing something that is supposed to survive a trip to Mars and back. That ain't no lab environment either.

If they ever make Hollywood movies featuring Starships, they'd hate how very expensive props will look like cheap props.

PS quite a dent at 10 o' clock. Not sure if the part is finished and if it has any relevance, I'm just being the guy saying "missed a spot!" here.

They need a few of these labels:

https://www.mysafetylabels.com/img/l...el-lb-2812.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa