Page 177 of 177 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177
Results 5,281 to 5,300 of 5300

Thread: SpaceX

I saw it right after the fire. Smoke billowing.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    That is three engines, correct?
    Yes. Camera angle matters.

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Cool
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

i just realized that unlike the Starship prototypes, the engines protrude out the bottom instead of being contained within a skirt. Presumably that's the reason for the extra structure added to the test stand.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Next billionaire in space.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Next billionaire in space.
    OK? Are we supposed to recognize that?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    OK? Are we supposed to recognize that?
    I may be wrong, but I think he's referring to Musk's planned ride on SpaceShipTwo.

Blowing the picture up, I can read "SPIFF" on the helmet. Calvin and Hobbes reference?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Blowing the picture up, I can read "SPIFF" on the helmet. Calvin and Hobbes reference?
    Touche Trebuchet.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ah, thanks. I thought it might be a reference to some comic but I had no idea what it would be. I blew it up too, but that “spiff” is very small and I missed it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

CHOMPER!! (the front section anyhow...)

They build the payload section in 2 halves; a lower cylinder and the "nose" which is this. Acording to the Starship User Guide there'll be 2 sizes of payload bay; the "Standard" 17.24 meters long and the "Extended" 22 meters long.

20210723_180547.jpg
    https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/...52841376354305
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2021-Jul-23 at 10:56 PM.

Falcon Heavy to launch Europa Clipper

This was originally planned as a Space Launch System mission.

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1418667693016711170

Jul 23, 2021
    RELEASE 21-098

NASA Awards Launch Services Contract for the Europa Clipper Mission

NASA has selected Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) of Hawthorne, California, to provide launch services for Earth’s first mission to conduct detailed investigations of Jupiter's moon Europa.

The Europa Clipper mission will launch in October 2024 on a Falcon Heavy rocket from Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The total contract award amount for launch services is approximately $178 million.

Europa Clipper will conduct a detailed survey of Europa and use a sophisticated suite of science instruments to investigate whether the icy moon has conditions suitable for life. Key mission objectives are to produce high-resolution images of Europa's surface, determine its composition, look for signs of recent or ongoing geological activity, measure the thickness of the moon’s icy shell, search for subsurface lakes, and determine the depth and salinity of Europa's ocean.

NASA’s Launch Services Program at Kennedy will manage the Europa Clipper launch service. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California leads the development of the Europa Clipper mission in partnership with the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Maryland, for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The Planetary Missions Program Office at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, executes program management of the Europa Clipper mission.

For more information about the Europa Clipper mission, visit:

https://europa.nasa.gov/

-end-

Ars Technica had an article about the launch choice for the Europa Clipper:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...ce/?comments=1

The cost from SpaceX is about $178 million, but for SLS it would have been about $2 billion. In addition, the SLS’s solid fuel boosters make for a rougher launch and that would require reinforcements on the Clipper for another $1 billion. In addition, there could be (in fact, almost certainly would be) availability delays for SLS that would incur additional costs depending on the length of the delay. So less than $200 million versus at least $3 billion, which should be an obvious choice, but there were political pressures that slowed down the selection process.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Oh, good grief 🤪

Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
    Construction starts soon on a much larger high bay just north of current high bay

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1419201466997293059

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Ars Technica had an article about the launch choice for the Europa Clipper:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...ce/?comments=1

The cost from SpaceX is about $178 million, but for SLS it would have been about $2 billion. In addition, the SLSís solid fuel boosters make for a rougher launch and that would require reinforcements on the Clipper for another $1 billion. In addition, there could be (in fact, almost certainly would be) availability delays for SLS that would incur additional costs depending on the length of the delay. So less than $200 million versus at least $3 billion, which should be an obvious choice, but there were political pressures that slowed down the selection process.
    Even if the SpaceX estimate is off by a factor of five, itís still the better bargain.

Why is there never this kind of political pressure favouring my company.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Why is there never this kind of political pressure favouring my company.
    You obviously haven't purchased the right politicians.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules