Page 11 of 88 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: SpaceX

A likely explanation for the strange angle it came in at, would be that they lost control of the grid fins when the fluid ran out.

The platform was unmanned as well? Do they tow it?

I wonder if adding more hydraulic fluid is the right thing to do. Are there any sensors measuring how hot the fins and their support equipment got?

We saw flames creeping up the sides of the Saturns--the exhaust filling in that low around the body of the vehicle--but on descent, you have it even worse.

Now that inflatable skirt we saw on the saucer like shell, maybe something like that to mitigate flames--or would that ruin the airflow needed for the fins.

Speaking of fins, I seem to remember control surfaces within the exhaust of early liquid fuel rockets before gimbaling.

Perhaps having both systems would allow the stage to move a little more quickly.

At the low speed near landing, the exhaust is the only moving fluid any fin can really bite into.

Gimbaling may not be enough.

As for getting into the comsat business--Musk could alienate the very folks he wants to launch for. You don't want both ULA and SES against you.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I wonder if adding more hydraulic fluid is the right thing to do. Are there any sensors measuring how hot the fins and their support equipment got?

We saw flames creeping up the sides of the Saturns--the exhaust filling in that low around the body of the vehicle--but on descent, you have it even worse.

Now that inflatable skirt we saw on the saucer like shell, maybe something like that to mitigate flames--or would that ruin the airflow needed for the fins.
    ...I'm assuming they have already addressed the thermal issues, considering that they haven't had problems with the LOX tank exploding due to excessive heating during a retro burn.

Speaking of fins, I seem to remember control surfaces within the exhaust of early liquid fuel rockets before gimbaling.

Perhaps having both systems would allow the stage to move a little more quickly.

At the low speed near landing, the exhaust is the only moving fluid any fin can really bite into.

Gimbaling may not be enough.
    It's going at least 25 m/s at 1 s before landing, at a bit over 12.5 m from the platform...about half the span of the legs. There's plenty of air for them to bite into. The fins are also at the top of a hollow structure with almost all the mass at the bottom, and they provide attitude control independent of the engine at the bottom, something that no additional amount of engine thrust vectoring could give you.

As for getting into the comsat business--Musk could alienate the very folks he wants to launch for. You don't want both ULA and SES against you.
    He's targeting a market that they're making no serious attempt to provide services to, and giving them substantially cheaper launches. How is this going to alienate them?

Wouldn't fast intenet eliminate their need to get regular pay TV from typical Clarke belt?

Wouldn't fast intenet eliminate their need to get regular pay TV from typical Clarke belt?
    More like augment it by adding value added low latency internet based products for those providers who partner with him. One of the problems with satellite internet is the latency. It could also be faster than fiber since the speed of light through optical fiber is 40% slower than through the vacuum of space.

SpaceX now has at least one major partner in the satellite venture: Google, and there are others.

Background: Google CEO Larry Page and Elon Musk are old buddies from way back, and an investor in Tesla.

In May 2014, Page said he'd rather leave his money to Elon Musk for SpaceX than give it to charity.

Now for the meat,

Link....

Google Nears Major Investment in SpaceX to Bolster Satellites

Google is close to investing in rocket maker SpaceX, according to several people familiar with the talks, creating a formidable alliance in Silicon Valley’s accelerating Internet space race.

The purpose of a deal, which is still in the works, is to support the development of SpaceX satellites that could beam low-cost Internet around the globe to billions who don’t have it.

The price and terms Google and SpaceX are discussing couldn’t be learned although one person familiar with them said Google has agreed to value SpaceX north of $10 billion and that the size of the total round, which includes other investors, is very large.

SpaceX’s investors include Founders Fund, Draper Fisher Jurvetson and Valor Equity Partners. The company, which has been developing rockets to lower the cost of space travel, hasn’t raised a primary round of funding in several years.

The takeaway: Google is in the final stages of investing in SpaceX after its own effort to create an Internet-beaming satellite constellation unraveled.

According to Universe Today, he wants a similar system at Mars as well!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yes, it would be very useful for a colony there, and NASA may also get involved. Last year NASA put out an RFI (request for information) for commercial data relay services between Earth and Mars.

Hmmmm....

Link....

NASA has issued a Request for Information (RFI) to investigate the possibility of using commercial Mars-orbiting satellites to provide telecommunications capabilities for future robotic missions to the Red Planet.

“We are looking to broaden participation in the exploration of Mars to include new models for government and commercial partnerships,” said John Grunsfeld, associate administrator of NASA’s Science Mission Directorate at the agency’s headquarters in Washington.* “Depending on the outcome, the new model could be a vital component in future science missions and the path for humans to Mars.”

The RFI details possible new business models that would involve NASA contracting to purchase services from a commercial service provider, which would own and operate one or more communication relay orbiters. The solicitation is open to all types of organizations including U.S. industry, universities, nonprofits, NASA centers, and federally funded research and development centers, in addition to U.S. government and international organizations.
    >
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2015-Jan-20 at 02:19 AM.

Dragon 2 pad abort postponed to later this year. NSF source:

they want to move the Dragon 2 pad abort from LC-40 to being launch #1 out of LC-39A. This because of the crowded manifest at LC-40.

As a result, there is now a full-court press to complete LC-39A enough to fly, even if it means postponing the removal of the shuttle Rotating Service Structure (RSS - see below.)

Complicating the removal of RSS is that SpaceX wanted to remove it using controlled explosive demolition, but the range wouldn't let them. Now it has to be done the slow way.

RSS
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2015-Jan-20 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starrs View Post
    The platform was unmanned as well? Do they tow it?
    The autonomous spaceport drone ship is unmanned, but there's a crewed support ship nearby during operations. According to this article in Universe Today, it sails under its own power.

ASDS #1 (KSC) & #2 (Vandenberg) get names, both being those of Mind Ships in s/f writer Iain M. Banks' 'Culture' series.

@elonmusk
    Repairs almost done on the spaceport drone ship and have given it the name "Just Read the Instructions"

@elonmusk
    West Coast droneship under construction will be named "Of Course I Still Love You"

Dragon V2 SuperDraco thruster pack (2 engines) test.

Dragon V2 uses 4 of these packs, 8 deeply throttleable and redundant engines at 16,000 lbf each, for launch escape and propulsive landings.

https://vine.co/v/OTBtbH9Bxzm

Last edited by docmordrid; 2015-Jan-25 at 07:52 AM.

Busy bees there at SpaceX!

NSF user JimNtexas did a fly-by of SpaceX McGregor and shot some nice pics. Jim's notes below the Google Drive link.

Most are of the tripod test stand area and show progress on the Falcon Heavy vertical test stand and it's HUGE flame trench. This should be getting some use in late spring or summer. Others are of the F9R Dev test pad and others are of an engine test stand building (lots of tanks around it.)

The very first image is NOT a SpaceX building. Some company nearby.

Google Drive link....

Jim's notes,

I did another light plane photo run near McGregor today. It was really bumpy, I made myself a bit airsick taking these!

The usual caveats apply:

1) At no time did I overfly the SpaceX facility.

2) At no time did I descend below 1500 above ground level, and was mostly above 2500 agl feet because of the turbulence.

3) If anyone at SpaceX management want me to cease these flights, all they need do is contact me and ask.

4) Observations:

- This is the first time I noticed the permanent entrance gate on Plant Road.

- Lots of construction going on around the big test stand.

- Three big red cranes.

- Nothing interesting near the hover pad.

5) Consider these images to be public domain. I'd appreciate credit if you want to use my images. I haven't had time to process or mark today's images in any way.
    LowRes thumbnail of one image

Last edited by docmordrid; 2015-Jan-26 at 07:16 AM.

NASA commercial crew presser today.

Dragon V2 flies the pad abort test in February 2015 from KSC. If all goes well it'll be re-used for the full flight abort test at Vandenberg.

Pictures of the abort test vehicle to be posted later today.

Extremely busy days at SpaceX it seems, could be a very big year if they pull everything off.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SpaceX/st...76530178170880

@SpaceX
    Major test of Crew Dragon's abort capabilities coming up - first look at the pad abort vehicle. pic.twitter.com/xmYvUvwjX5
    10:21pm - 27 Jan 15

Nice. Is the heat shield one piece now, or is it just not mounted on this one yet? Like the one in the reveal event, it doesn't have the curiously irregularly shaped tiles that Dragon V1 has.

Fraser has posted a cool video on Universe today , it is about the Falcon Heavy :http://www.universetoday.com/118549/...cex-animation/

Quote Originally Posted by galacsi View Post
    Fraser has posted a cool video on Universe today , it is about the Falcon Heavy :http://www.universetoday.com/118549/...cex-animation/
    That's the same video that started the Falcon Heavy thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    That's the same video that started the Falcon Heavy thread.

Named for the Mind Ship 'Just Read the Instructions' in the Culture novel series,

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/560913448058380288

Elon Musk @elon musk
    Painting the name on the droneship ... http://t.co/X8R8O4KjPx
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2015-Jan-29 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Named for the Mind Ship 'Just Read the Instructions' in the Culture novel series,
    Which for those not familiar with it, paraphrases a popular saying of computer technicians, which I won't quote here because it's not family friendly.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Which for those not familiar with it, paraphrases a popular saying of computer technicians, which I won't quote here because it's not family friendly.
    Culture is one great series of books if anyone is looking for something to read.

If he was going to name it after Mind ships, he should have chosen "Funny, it worked last time..." for this barge.

The DSCOVR launch is Sunday Feb 8 at launch at 1810 EST. The backup opportunity is Feb. 9 at 1807 EST.

The static fire test was completed today. Waiting for data.

The ASDS Just Read the Instructions location will be 31°6′10″ N , 74°33′38″ W for the Falcon 9R first stage landing attempt.

Streaming on NASA TV, spacex.com, YouTube's SpaceX Channel and Livestream SpaceX. NASA TV usually starts about 1 hour before launch, and the others about 20-30 minutes carrying the SpaceX webcast.
    Last edited by docmordrid; 2015-Jan-31 at 07:36 PM.

Dragon V2 undergoing tests

Why the fins?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Dynametric tail fins to look cool?