Page 29 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: SpaceX

As long as your cruise doesn't bother range safety... Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    As long as your cruise doesn't bother range safety... Have fun!
    Down in the Carrabean, far from safety range.

An interesting piece of information from spaceflightnow.com

Taking a lesson from a launch failure last June, SpaceX wrote coded commands for future Dragon cargo capsules to deploy their parachutes for an emergency landing in the event of future rocket explosions, starting with Friday’s resupply flight to the International Space Station.

The Dragon cargo carrier was never designed to survive a catastrophic in-flight rocket failure, but video footage showed the supply ship tumbling away from a debris cloud created by the breakup of its Falcon 9 booster minutes after liftoff from Cape Canaveral in June 2015.
    Launch is 4:43 p.m. EDT (2043 GMT).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Hmmm...

On the reward side, there is the possibility of saving the pressurized portion of the cargo in the (hopefully unlikely) event of a rocket failure.
    On the risk side, there is the (hopefully even less likely) possibility that the escape feature could deploy at the wrong time.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Hmmm...

On the reward side, there is the possibility of saving the pressurized portion of the cargo in the (hopefully unlikely) event of a rocket failure.
    On the risk side, there is the (hopefully even less likely) possibility that the escape feature could deploy at the wrong time.
    It is also the possibility to debug your software and possibly test your systems, without humans on-board. It may also make the customers and stockholders happy with the impression of doing "something".

Plus, why should those poor mice being shipped up there today have to die in a massive explosion.

That was easy.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    That was easy.
    Launch ,deployment of Dragon , recovery of first stage all went accordiingly to plan . A great success.

congratulations SpaceX

Last edited by Swift; 2016-Apr-09 at 12:48 AM. Reason: embedded video changed to link
    102:45:57 Duke: We copy you down, Eagle.
    102:45:58 Armstrong (onboard): Engine arm is off. (Pause) (Now on voice-activated comm) Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.
    Simbad-astronomical database

That barge appears to be rocking pretty good in the waves. Surely they have stabilizers?
    I don't think I'd enjoy being first on deck to try and secure the thing.

Aw Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Bilic View Post
    From Rule 8
    Additionally, don't embed a huge image (meaning an image that's over 100k or 800 pixels wide) or a video of any size inline using the [img] or [video] tags.

New conspiracy theory: the rocket landing videos are simply reversed video.

Congrats to SpaceX! They landed on solid ground and a barge in relevant launch missions. And on top of that, an extra option of saving a payload in case of kaboom. Falcon is maturing!

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    That barge appears to be rocking pretty good in the waves. Surely they have stabilizers?
    I don't think I'd enjoy being first on deck to try and secure the thing.
    I wouldn't count on stabilizers, seems like any basic barge I've seen rocking in the waves. However, the CG of the empty first stage is down low, way below its geometrical centre. So it's pretty stable after landing.

What did amaze me now that we could see the stage on the barge, is how little margin there is in terms of width. The deployed feet have a wide span relative to the barge. They really have to pinpoint the landing. And they can!

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Stabilisers rely on the forward motion of a boat. I watched videos amazed. There is a bias in experience that makes a hovering rocket look strange and one going backwards really odd. It's like balancing a stick on end on your finger, a great feat of engineering and another step in turning fiction into fact.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Stabilisers rely on the forward motion of a boat. I watched videos amazed. There is a bias in experience that makes a hovering rocket look strange and one going backwards really odd. It's like balancing a stick on end on your finger, a great feat of engineering and another step in turning fiction into fact.
    Stabilizers do not rely on forward motion, and this barge was equipped with them. The containers on the deck are largely to house the hydraulic pumps and control systems driving four Thrustmaster azimuth thrusters. A previous landing attempt was dropped because damage to one of the stabilizers meant it couldn't handle the waves.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    Stabilizers do not rely on forward motion, and this barge was equipped with them. The containers on the deck are largely to house the hydraulic pumps and control systems driving four Thrustmaster azimuth thrusters. A previous landing attempt was dropped because damage to one of the stabilizers meant it couldn't handle the waves.
    Thanks for the correction, I was wrongly assuming from experience on ferry boat stabilisers.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Thanks cjameshuff. I don't know much about stabilizers, but figured they had to have something to handle the swell.
    That barge was still rocking pretty good.

When I saw the landing (and the previous attempts) and the rocking of the barge, it made me wonder about where the COG would be for a nearly spent first stage to avoid tipping over. I would assume COG would be in the lower one-third of the stage since almost no fuel remains upon landing. (Or maybe "barging"?)

Can someone explain the stabilizers or give a link? I work with large barges daily and this could be interesting for us. Do the stabilizers just keep the deck level, or are they propellers that keep he entire barge in place like a DP system? In that case: we call them DP (and we use them on our barges), not stabilizers.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2016-Apr-09 at 02:45 PM.

I didn't see this live, but I did get to see the video, and, wow, they made the whole thing look so damn easy this time. Not a bunch of tilting and scooting, just. . . *poik*
    Congratulations, SpaceX!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Can someone explain the stabilizers or give a link?
    Here we are, Wikipedia - Autonomous spaceport drone ship:
    These autonomous vessels are capable of precision positioning, originally stated to be within 3 meters (9.8 ft) even under storm conditions,[10] using GPS position information[24] and four diesel-powered azimuth thrusters.[25] In addition to the autonomous operating mode, the ships may also be telerobotically controlled.[2]

The azimuth thrusters are hydraulic propulsion outdrive units with modular diesel-hydraulic-drive power units and a modular controller all manufactured by Thrustmaster, a marine equipment manufacturer.
    Turns out there's a subReddit for this stuff too: /r/SpaceX

Thanks! So that is indeed what we call a DP (Dynamic Positioning) system. If it can sail a course autonomously as well, it's DP/DT (Dynamic Tracking). Basically, a DP system is like throwing out an anchor but with software.

THIS is the one to put in a museum.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    THIS is the one to put in a museum.
    ...as the second one to be brought back intact?

This is hopefully the first of the operationally reusable first stages, but only if it flies again. If it checks out, current plans are to test it thoroughly with ten test firings, and use it to launch something in a couple months.

I'd be careful with it, not use it for any crazy experiments (like the high-speed return that punched a hole in the ASDS deck), and pull it apart into many tiny pieces after a few flights to evaluate wear and tear throughout the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    An interesting piece of information from spaceflightnow.com

Launch is 4:43 p.m. EDT (2043 GMT).
    I didn't see a video link if the capsule exiting from the debris, do you know if one exists?

Musk has onboard footage of the landing on his twitter account which this terrible laptop won't let me copy paste here. Seeing the grid fins in action is nice. Part of me still can't believe they actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Um no I was referring to the video of the capsule leaving remains of the rocket explosion that Swift was reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Um no I was referring to the video of the capsule leaving remains of the rocket explosion that Swift was reporting.
    He was referring to the June 2015 flight and not this one.