Page 38 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 2858

Thread: SpaceX

Superb landing, and that in quite heavy swells. Very impressive!

Was it just wide-angle distortion, or was it leaning a little after the landing? That's happened before.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The upper stage had to deploy 10 sats. That would seem to mean extra work for that upper stage. Seems to indicate the problems are fixed.

A very good write up of SpaceX and their future plans in the latest issue of "The Space Review ".

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3149/1

"For most of 2016, the attention SpaceX received for its Falcon 9 launches involved what happened about eight to ten minutes after liftoff, when the company attempted to land the rocket’s first stage on either a ship at sea or a pad back on land. The company closed out 2015 with its first-ever landing, on land, and finally started getting into a rhythm of landings on solid ground and ship decks as 2016 progressed.

That ended on the morning of September 1, when a Falcon 9, being fueled for a static-fire test at Cape Canaveral a couple days before the scheduled launch of the Amos-6 communications satellite, suddenly exploded. The Falcon 9 was grounded as SpaceX investigated the costly failure."

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

SpaceX has added another laboratory to enhance their R&D

http://www.geekwire.com/2017/spacex-...pment-redmond/

"SpaceX has taken on a 40,625-square-foot facility in Redmond, Wash., that will become a research and development lab for its ambitious satellite operation.

The warehouse-style space in the Redmond Ridge Corporate Center, owned by M&T Partners, is slated for a $2.1 million interior remodeling job, according to a permit application filed last month with King County"

I am because we are
    (African saying)

1st launch from pad 39A by SpaceX will be a Dragon supply ship.

http://spaceflightnow.com/2017/01/29...acex-manifest/

"SpaceX said Sunday that the first Falcon 9 rocket launch from pad 39A, a former shuttle-era complex at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, is scheduled to send a Dragon supply ship to the International Space Station in mid-February, deferring a mission with an EchoStar communications satellite that was set to take off this month."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

So the one that was to be in a couple of days is off, then?

Stuff that bugs me: SpaceX could do MUCH better at keeping us informed of upcoming launches on their website and twitter. Unless I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    So the one that was to be in a couple of days is off, then?

Stuff that bugs me: SpaceX could do MUCH better at keeping us informed of upcoming launches on their website and twitter. Unless I'm missing something.
    According to Spaceflightnow.com the next flight by SpaceX is the Dragon spacecraft on February 14th. The one after that is the EchoStar 23 late February but the timing says TBD (to be determined)

I am because we are
    (African saying)

SpaceX will have to redesign the turbopumps in the Merlin engines that drive SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rockets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/congres...cts-1486067874

"Congressional investigators are raising new safety concerns about Space Exploration Technologies Corp.’s plans for future manned launches, citing persistent cracking of vital propulsion-system components, according to government and industry officials familiar with the details"

I am because we are
    (African saying)

Falcon has engine-out ability that no EELV has.

That should count for something.

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    SpaceX will have to redesign the turbopumps in the Merlin engines that drive SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rockets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/congres...cts-1486067874

"Congressional investigators are raising new safety concerns about Space Exploration Technologies Corp.’s plans for future manned launches, citing persistent cracking of vital propulsion-system components, according to government and industry officials familiar with the details"

SpaceX is already redesigning the turbopumps, which are part of the "Block 5" version to start flying by the end of the year. This is an old and well-known issue, and due to careful screening of parts and robust turbine design, it hasn't caused a single problem in something like 700+ full-duration engine burns, 270 during successful launches themselves, just counting the Falcon 9's that have launched. The JCSAT-14 booster alone has performed 99 full-duration engine burns, including 9 during an actual launch which involved additional reentry and landing burns for some engines. Including those, the center engine of that core has been ignited 13 times so far. (The same may go for two outboard cores, I believe that one was a 3-engine landing.)

The author of the WSJ article is Andy Pasztor, who has some kind of grudge against SpaceX and frequently writes hit pieces against them which have little to do with reality...the man outright fabricates things if he can't find real news that he can twist to sound bad enough. (Such as his previous claim that a launch escape system for Dragon would require $1 billion in additional government funding.) He has zero credibility on the topic.

I've seen John Stossel go after Musk. He used to be a darling--but folks seem to have turned on Elon.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I've seen John Stossel go after Musk. He used to be a darling--but folks seem to have turned on Elon.
    Well, what do John Stossel and the Wall Street Journal have in common? I don't think it's so much that "folks" have turned on Elon as the climate change denialist community has turned on him. He is, after all, the poster boy for solar power, electric cars, etc.

Hopefully I've managed to express this within board parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    He's moved beyond "famous in his field(s)" to being mainstream famous and with that comes mainstream attention and being seen as an acceptable target for criticism by people who previously wouldn't have known who he was.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2017-Feb-06 at 05:09 AM.

What's wrong with demanding redesign of the pumps? I can remember vividly that NASA should have redesigned the O-Rings on the SRB, before the Challenger disaster, just because they haven't had a major failure with the pumps that have had cracks, is not a proper way to run a program.

There is nothing wrong with demanding redesign of the pumps. There is something wrong with presenting old issues that are already being taken care of as if it's new trouble.

Engine-out ability is a major plus for a manned launcher. We would have talked differently about Saturn V if it didn't have engine-out ability. Apollo 13 would have been a rather short movie.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    What's wrong with demanding redesign of the pumps? I can remember vividly that NASA should have redesigned the O-Rings on the SRB, before the Challenger disaster, just because they haven't had a major failure with the pumps that have had cracks, is not a proper way to run a program.
    If they haven't been delayed since Musk's statements in October, they are starting production of the redesigned pumps about now. This is an old problem and the fix is just about to be deployed, Block 5 is to begin flying by the end of the year. The only reason to bring it up in this way is to spread FUD about SpaceX.

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    If they haven't been delayed since Musk's statements in October, they are starting production of the redesigned pumps about now. This is an old problem and the fix is just about to be deployed, Block 5 is to begin flying by the end of the year. The only reason to bring it up in this way is to spread FUD about SpaceX.
    Mo negative comments are/were meant to disparage SpaceX. I believe the company is in good position to be a leader in private space missions. My comment was specifically focused on the pumps having demonstrated an issue and some "Congressional investigators raising new safety concerns about Space Exploration Technologies Corp.’s plans for future manned launches" that combined with the comment "This is an old and well-known issue, and due to careful screening of parts and robust turbine design, it hasn't caused a single problem". Just because there have been no problems does not mean problems won't ever occur. I read your comment about the redesign indicating the SpaceX has determined that a production problem exists and are developing methods/materials to mitigate those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Mo negative comments are/were meant to disparage SpaceX. I believe the company is in good position to be a leader in private space missions. My comment was specifically focused on the pumps having demonstrated an issue and some "Congressional investigators raising new safety concerns about Space Exploration Technologies Corp.’s plans for future manned launches" that combined with the comment "This is an old and well-known issue, and due to careful screening of parts and robust turbine design, it hasn't caused a single problem". Just because there have been no problems does not mean problems won't ever occur. I read your comment about the redesign indicating the SpaceX has determined that a production problem exists and are developing methods/materials to mitigate those problems.
    That quote demonstrates how disingenuous these articles are. SpaceX's manned launches won't use the turbopumps with the crack issue. They're using the Block 5 for manned launches. How can it be a safety concern for manned launches when none of the turbopumps with the problem will even be involved?

One big change that SpaceX has had on the space industry is it has made reusablity respectable.

https://qz.com/905913/its-official-e...r-big-rockets/

"Two years ago, the CEO of the world’s primary commercial rocket company thought Elon Musk’s idea of re-using rockets to bring cargo to space was “very uncertain.”
    “Loss of performance related to recovery, lower industrial rate, cost of rehabilitation of the stage, difficulty in convincing customers to use a used launcher, uncertainties about reliability,” Arianespace chief Stéphane Israël said, ticking off his concerns. “It would be a mistake to consider reuse the alpha and omega of breaking innovation in the field of launchers.”
    Things have changed, perhaps thanks to the spectacle of seven SpaceX rockets returning to Earth after delivering their cargo to orbit.
    Now, the European space champion has a 15-person design team working on a rocket with a reusable second stage, intended to debut in 2030. The team is also focusing on deploying cost-saving manufacturing techniques like 3-D printing, according to the French business magazine L’Usine Nouvelle, or The New Factory."

I am because we are
    (African saying)

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    One big change that SpaceX has had on the space industry is it has made reusablity respectable.

https://qz.com/905913/its-official-e...r-big-rockets/

"Two years ago, the CEO of the world’s primary commercial rocket company thought Elon Musk’s idea of re-using rockets to bring cargo to space was “very uncertain.”
    “Loss of performance related to recovery, lower industrial rate, cost of rehabilitation of the stage, difficulty in convincing customers to use a used launcher, uncertainties about reliability,” Arianespace chief Stéphane Israël said, ticking off his concerns. “It would be a mistake to consider reuse the alpha and omega of breaking innovation in the field of launchers.”
    Things have changed, perhaps thanks to the spectacle of seven SpaceX rockets returning to Earth after delivering their cargo to orbit.
    Now, the European space champion has a 15-person design team working on a rocket with a reusable second stage, intended to debut in 2030. The team is also focusing on deploying cost-saving manufacturing techniques like 3-D printing, according to the French business magazine L’Usine Nouvelle, or The New Factory."

Goodie. More jobs for us.

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    That quote demonstrates how disingenuous these articles are. SpaceX's manned launches won't use the turbopumps with the crack issue. They're using the Block 5 for manned launches. How can it be a safety concern for manned launches when none of the turbopumps with the problem will even be involved?
    You must know more than I concerning the future plans about manned launches, again no disparaging comments concerning SpaceX. Just what has been reported and posted.

According to Spaceflightnow.com the next flight by SpaceX is the Dragon spacecraft on February 14th. The one after that is the EchoStar 23 late February but the timing says TBD (to be determined)

That date has been pushed back to February 18th. As a positive sign, SpaceX has already moved the Falcon 9 to the launch pad.

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/or...h-complex-39a/

In a sign SpaceX is finally ready to launch from Kennedy Space Center’s historic Launch Complex 39A, the company rolled its Falcon 9, mounted atop a brand-new transporter erector, up the incline to the top of the pad.

The rocket was moved Friday, Feb. 10, 2017, in advanced of a static test fire it will conduct as early as Saturday.

Well, nuts. Launch scrubbed at T-13 due to some sort of discrepancy with the second stage.

Hold at T-13 seconds

This from SpaceX twitter feed
    Standing down to take a closer look at positioning of the second stage engine nozzle. 9:38am ET tomorrow is next earliest launch opportunity
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Well, nuts. Launch scrubbed at T-13 due to some sort of discrepancy with the second stage.
    Better safe than kablamo.

Yep, get it right or ... the next thing you know, you're out real money.

Launch successful and nailed the landing
    Last edited by Swift; 2017-Feb-19 at 02:53 PM.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Shoot! I forgot to see if it was happening.

Shoot! I forgot to see if it was happening.
    All the highlights here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giNhaEzv_PI