Thread: KEEP OPPORTUNITY ALIVE!! Sign the Petition

Angry KEEP OPPORTUNITY ALIVE!! Sign the Petition

People from around the whole world look on with great concern as the US Government is shrinking the budget of NASA, to the point that they are unable to maintain star performing programs, such as the Opportunity Rover on Mars. At great expense, this Rover has been developed and send to Mars to expand our knowledge of the planet, and over the last 10 years, it has performed way above expectation.

Considering the cost of getting a probe to Mars, it is inexcusable to shut down a fully operational and highly successful rover that is already there, simply because of budget constraints.

We would like to urge The US Government to reconsider their budget allowance for NASA, to ensure the organisation can maintain its current programs and launch new ones.

http://petitions.tigweb.org/OpportunityRover

I'm in favor of finding a way to keep it going. I don' know if signing the Taking-It-Global petition will make that happen, but it can't hurt.
    I also wonder if there is a way that NASA can transfer it to some educational or philanthropic organization, and charge them for time on the Deep Space Network, and Mars Orbiters that are being used to transfer data without impacting other missions (not just financially). Opportunity is exploring some interesting terrain that looks like it might have been dug up (it's a crater rim) while Mars was wet.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Greetings,

Quote Originally Posted by Hannodb View Post
    People from around the whole world look on with great concern as the US Government is shrinking the budget of NASA, to the point that they are unable to maintain star performing programs, such as the Opportunity Rover on Mars. At great expense, this Rover has been developed and send to Mars to expand our knowledge of the planet, and over the last 10 years, it has performed way above expectation.

Considering the cost of getting a probe to Mars, it is inexcusable to shut down a fully operational and highly successful rover that is already there, simply because of budget constraints.

We would like to urge The US Government to reconsider their budget allowance for NASA, to ensure the organisation can maintain its current programs and launch new ones.

http://petitions.tigweb.org/OpportunityRover
    Perhaps nations from around the world might consider contributing to the costs.

Best regards,
    ES

When a man landed on the moon I was born.... When will someone land on Mars? (Or on the moon again?)

I wanted to be the first man on the moon and when I found out I would be too young I was crestfallen. But after eight years of homelessness I became inured to the lure of luxuries of a billion dollar budget and took a position that space was not a suitable venture and that we should use our money to explore the interior of the Earth. Now I've come to understand more about the Earth and have arrived at the position that space is a qualified but certain platform onto which we can place our aspirations of an Earthly sort, seen anew in the light of other stars, or for the moment from other orbits around this one.

I will sign the petition.

Quote Originally Posted by andyy View Post
    When a man landed on the moon I was born.... When will someone land on Mars? (Or on the moon again?)
    We have a thread about the moon over here.
    There's only a few posts there, but there are two threads that may interest you. They discuss more ambitious goals about colonization, but there are mentions of actual projects.
    http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...-colonize-Mars
    http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...onize-the-moon

Signed and added to G+ extended circles.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Bring Oppy home and lay him to rest at Arlington.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    Signed and added to G+ extended circles.
    Signed? What did you sign?
    The OP link petition closed almost a month ago and had a total of 4 signatures.
    Not surprising considering this looks like just a random page by somebody who doesn't even explain who they are.

I wonder if those 4 signatures are enough to reach their goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Bring Oppy home and lay him to rest at Arlington.
    I always say Oppy as a "her". Either way, zippy hardly deserves to be buried alive!

I wasn't aware of this mission being considered for termination...I remember watching a clip last month of the Administrator at NASA trying to get the senate to put through money for following year.

I am hands down in favor of stuff...