Thread: Maxwell House astronaut

Maxwell House astronaut

There is a commercial running for Maxwell House coffee that features a moonwalking astronaut holding a steaming cup of Joe. Of course, the steam is wafting and curling exactly like it would in an atmosphere on earth.

My question is, how would the steam really behave on the moon? My guess is, it would form a cone of expanding vapor, similar to that of a rocket nozzle pointing upward. What do you think?

Since there's no atmosphere on the moon to contain it, the coffee would, I think, form a cone of rapidly expanding vapor, as you suggested, maybe more reminiscent of a mortar than of a rocket nozzle.

It would boil rather rapidly, at least at first...a big messy spray of water vapor, rapidly cooling coffee, and ice crystals.

Apart from that, the vapor wouldn't form a neat cone, the cup would perform very badly as an expansion nozzle...probably more like a partial sphere, arcing and falling to the surface as it expands.

I completely forgot about the boiloff. Now THAT would make a memorable commercial!

Obviously fiction. Everyone knows astronauts drink Tang.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

There is a nice Phoenix university commercial that shows a Saturn V type rocket and a lady astronaut that is rather nice.

No link?
    Amazing! Its not on YouTube, but here you are: http://creativity-online.com/work/ma...use-good/34898
    And our hero not only has gently wafting steam on the Moon, but also while running in a marathon and hitting in a baseball game. And he doesn't spill a drop!
    Come on,guys, since when were commercials not "creative" with reality?

JOhn

Huh. I was so busy watching the coffee, I didn't notice that he was only wearing half a spacesuit.