Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Virgin Galactic SS2

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It's kind of interesting how excited we all were about SS1 back when (more than 15 years ago! Wow!) but time seems to have passed the whole project by.
    Speak for yourself, I’m still excited!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

"First Look: Virgin Galactic’s Luxurious Spaceship Interior Wants You to Enjoy Zero Gravity in Style"

https://robbreport.com/motors/aviati...eship-2939078/

The interior reveals a blend of high-tech, ergonomics and contemporary interior design. The seats, for instance, will be customized for each astronaut, and drop into reclining mode when Unity hits space, at which point participants are free to float around the cabin.

“They’re unlike any seats that have ever been designed before,” said Jeremy Brown, Virgin Galactic’s chief designer. “They are designed so that the astronauts will be comfortable in both zero gravity and in 1G on the ground. The body will be subject to much higher G forces as Unity travels into space, so the seats are designed to hug in all the right places for a snug fit.”

The interior, designed by Virgin Galactic with Seymourpowell, London, also has special colors for the seating and walls. “Golden metallics resemble luminous desert sands, blues conjure celestial spaces and teals inspired by the ocean ground travelers back to Earth,” said a statement. Brown said the one-piece spacesuits by Under Armour have also color-coordinated with the interior. Under Armour also designed the high-tech material on the sea tops.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Yeah, Scott Manley just put up a video which includes his comments on the virtual walk-through.

https://youtu.be/nhsZg_BwGD8

Spaceport America director charged with state-law violations.

https://spacenews.com/report-conclud...ted-state-law/
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Virgin Galactic SS2 test flights delayed because of COVID-19 restrictions.

https://spacenews.com/virgin-galacti...e-of-pandemic/

Virgin Galactic prepares for low-key first spaceflight from New Mexico.

QUOTE: When Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo takes to the skies above New Mexico later this month, it will do so without the crowds and publicity once expected for the historic flight. Virgin Galactic announced Dec. 1 that is had rescheduled a powered test flight of its SpaceShipTwo suborbital spaceplane for a window that opens Dec. 11 from Spaceport America in New Mexico. Pilots CJ Sturckow and David Mackay will fly the vehicle on trajectory that will go above the 80-kilometer altitude that the company defines as space, based on the altitude U.S. government agencies use for awarding astronaut wings. The vehicle will then glide to a landing at the spaceport.

https://spacenews.com/virgin-galacti...om-new-mexico/

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Virgin Galactic prepares for low-key first spaceflight from New Mexico.

QUOTE: When Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo takes to the skies above New Mexico later this month, it will do so without the crowds and publicity once expected for the historic flight. Virgin Galactic announced Dec. 1 that is had rescheduled a powered test flight of its SpaceShipTwo suborbital spaceplane for a window that opens Dec. 11 from Spaceport America in New Mexico. Pilots CJ Sturckow and David Mackay will fly the vehicle on trajectory that will go above the 80-kilometer altitude that the company defines as space, based on the altitude U.S. government agencies use for awarding astronaut wings. The vehicle will then glide to a landing at the spaceport.

https://spacenews.com/virgin-galacti...om-new-mexico/
    Glad to see something good happening this year, good things have been in short supply lately.

Window opens for Virgin Galactic test flight from Spaceport America.

https://apnews.com/article/new-mexic...6612ea6c72405b

Wish them well for tomorrow, its been a much longer road than I think anyone imagined back when SpaceShip One flew.

Good luck!

Nope, rocket engine failed to ignite after release of SS2. All people and craft made it back OK.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Maybe they should have waited a few weeks, 2020 still has a few nasty surprises in store...

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Maybe they should have waited a few weeks, 2020 still has a few nasty surprises in store...
    2020 can go (long list of obscene or disgusting activities...) itself

It somehow seems like time has passed that project by.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    2020 can go (long list of obscene or disgusting activities...) itself
    We should count ourselves lucky that spaceflight has enjoyed a few actual highlights this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    We should count ourselves lucky that spaceflight has enjoyed a few actual highlights this year.
    Yes - highlights for me was SpaceX, 3 launches to Mars and Chang'e-5.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Virgin Galactic test flight failed because a failsafe landing was trigged.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/12/14/vi...ing-triggered/

Virgin Galactic attempted a test flight of its SpaceShipTwo Unity spaceplane on Saturday, but the flight was cut short after the spacecraft detached from its carrier aircraft. A failsafe prevented Unity’s rocket engines from firing up because the computer that monitors the rockets somehow lost their connection to the rocket engines themselves, Virgin Galactic revealed on Monday.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

"Virgin Galactic Flight Test Program Update"

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Program-Update

Virgin Galactic Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: SPCE), a vertically integrated aerospace and space travel company, today announced the date of its new flight window for a rocket-powered test flight of its SpaceShipTwo Unity.

The flight window will open on February 13 with opportunities to fly throughout February, pending good weather conditions and technical readiness. The test flight will be crewed by two pilots and will carry research payloads as part of the NASA Flight Opportunities program.

Pre-flight preparations are already underway at Spaceport America, New Mexico, including rigorous steps to prepare the vehicles, pilots, teams and facilities, with safety procedures as a top priority. In addition, the Virgin Galactic Pilot Corps has completed two flights with its mothership, VMS Eve, for routine pilot proficiency training. This training included using the mothership to simulate the glide and approach-to-land phase of flight for SpaceShipTwo, showing the versatility of VMS Eve as more than just a mothership.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Virgin Galactic to resume SpaceShipTwo test flights in mid-February.

https://spacenews.com/virgin-galacti...-mid-february/

WAPO just dropped the hammer on them.... https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...tic-test-book/
    Last edited by publiusr; 2021-Feb-03 at 07:42 AM.

So they had a serious issue that didn’t hurt anyone in 2019 but could have, and it raised procedure questions. It also isn’t original news with the Washington Post - it had been reported to stockholders and is in a soon to be published book. There have been flights since and the company says they’ve made changes after a safety review.

I’m not sure how much that will affect them. If I were interested, I’d want to wait a few official flights before taking my turn anyway.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

That's fair. Now, is it just me, or do sense some growing back lash against private space efforts...the elysium effect article comes to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    That's fair. Now, is it just me, or do sense some growing back lash against private space efforts...the elysium effect article comes to mind...
    I don't see a backlash, just small shocks as the growing private space industry settles up against government-run space efforts. Private industry has never liked being regulated, be it by the FAA or someone else. It's "normal" turmoil.

WAPO just dropped the hammer on them.... https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...tic-test-book/
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    So they had a serious issue that didn’t hurt anyone in 2019 but could have, and it raised procedure questions. It also isn’t original news with the Washington Post - it had been reported to stockholders and is in a soon to be published book. There have been flights since and the company says they’ve made changes after a safety review.

I’m not sure how much that will affect them. If I were interested, I’d want to wait a few official flights before taking my turn anyway.
    As the WaPo is partially owned by the guy behind Blue Origin, I wonder if the motivation behind this particular article isn’t “backlash” so much as “making the competition look bad”...

Sometimes you have to fact check the fact checkers. Branson should work with Stratolaunch.

Sometimes you have to fact check the fact checkers. Branson should work with Stratolaunch.
    ...why? I don't think he has a particularly large excess of money he needs to get rid of right now.

With Stratolaunch, a larger, more conventional SS3 could be had-more seats-more money. He doesn't have to buy it...some kind of deal...

Virgin Galactic aims to rocket to space as soon as Saturday, the earliest we could see Unity and the Virgin carrier aircraft VMS Eve take off from the high desert north of Las Cruces. There are other flight opportunities throughout February if weather or technical issues don't cooperate.

https://www.cnet.com/news/virgin-gal...n-as-saturday/

Virgin Galactic shares climb as FAA indicates next spaceflight test set for Saturday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/11/virg...-saturday.html