Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Virgin Galactic SS2

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Positive spin on Virgin Galactic stock... SPCE Stock Will Fly to $80 on Virgin Galactic’s Space Ambitions: Virgin Galactic will one day be flying thousands of people into space every month

https://investorplace.com/hypergrowt...ace-ambitions/
    I'm glad you didn't make me read bad news when I was in a good mood after the America's Cup.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

"Virgin Galactic unveils ‘VSS Imagine,’ the first of its next-generation spaceship series"

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/30/virg...ii-series.html

Virgin Galactic on Tuesday unveiled the latest spacecraft addition to its fleet, VSS Imagine, with the spacecraft representing the first of its next-generation SpaceShip III class of vehicles.

The rollout of VSS Imagine gives the space tourism company a second spacecraft to begin testing, as Virgin Galactic continues to work through final development testing of VSS Unity, with its next spaceflight test expected in May.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Visually, it is underwhelming. It has a shiny metal hull, but looks like the same basic design as the Spaceship II.

In the article, it says the main changes are improvements to reduce turnaround time. Apparently more modularity, better organization and easier replacement. A good number of changes but all seem to be evolutionary improvements. It doesn’t sound like anything fundamental was changed.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

At least it's hardware and not powerpoint. Let's hope for them they can have a working craft with this iteration, it's about time.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Past time. I think the whole thing is an idea whose time has come and gone.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Virgin Galactic to start testing latest spaceship
    https://news.yahoo.com/virgin-galact...203144151.html

Branson Offloads $150 Million in Virgin Galactic Shares
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...alactic-shares

"Virgin Galactic Flight Schedule In Doubt Again As Potential Issue Found"

https://www.investors.com/news/spce-...nings-q1-2021/

Virgin Galactic (SPCE) said Monday its next test flight is under review after previously saying tests were due this month, adding new doubts to when commercial service can begin. SPCE stock fell.

Virgin Galactic said the timing of the next flight test is currently being evaluated. But it added that work to correct electromagnetic interference (EMI) on the VSS Unity is complete, and the spaceplane is ready to start pre-flight procedures. Fixes include adding components to suppress any EMI from the flight control computer and any EMI from the ship's wiring.

But on a conference call later, management said there is a potential wear-and-tear issue with the Eve mothership that carries the spaceplane to high altitude. The company will report back next week with an update on the schedule implications.

"There's a couple of issues that we want to track and make sure that we see how the vehicle ages over time and how we address it," management said.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

I'm reasonably certain that SpaceX will have tourists in orbit before VG or Blue Origin manage to take them suborbital.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'm reasonably certain that SpaceX will have tourists in orbit before VG or Blue Origin manage to take them suborbital.
    Starliner will probably put people in space before Virgin Galactic does.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    Starliner will probably put people in space before Virgin Galactic does.
    Ouch! That's really vicious!

Virgin Galactic space company faces new delays over 'wear and tear' issues on the mothership and launch platform
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...othership.html
    'Richard Branson Is Outgunned in Billionaire Space Race'
    https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...usk-jeff-bezos

Virgin galactic rocket plane flies to the edge of space. - BBC

Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic space plane has conducted the first of three key test flights that should enable it to enter commercial service.

The Unity vehicle, with pilots Dave Mackay and CJ Sturckow at the controls, powered to a height of 89km (55 miles), and then glided back down to Earth.

Sir Richard has some 600 paying customers - including movie and music stars - waiting to take the same ride.

But they'll only get their chance once Unity is fully licensed.

That ought, finally, to happen by the year's end.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLondon View Post
    Hi DavidLondon,

I tried to watch and I'm still not clear which is the plane and which is the capsule and how the capsule landed. Were there people in the capsule. No video?

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    Hi DavidLondon,

I tried to watch and I'm still not clear which is the plane and which is the capsule and how the capsule landed. Were there people in the capsule. No video?

Cheers,
    It's a jet plane that drops a rocket plane. No capsules are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    Well explained in CNBC article on the flight.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/22/virg...vss-unity.html

The company’s spacecraft, named VSS Unity, was carried up to an altitude of about 44,000 feet by a carrier aircraft called VMS Eve. The aircraft then released the spacecraft, which fired its rocket engine and accelerated to more than three times the speed of sound.

After performing a slow backflip in microgravity at the edge of space – reaching an altitude of 89.2 kilometers, or about 293,000 feet – Unity returned through the atmosphere in a glide. The spacecraft landed back at the runway of Spaceport America in New Mexico that it took off from earlier.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Video from Virgin Galactic
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Is the exhaust bell of the rocket engine asymmetric? It looks like the cone was cut at an angle.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
    Wow, are we at the point where every spacecraft gets (correctly or not) casually called a capsule again instead of every spacecraft being casually called a space shuttle?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Doh! Sorry about the capsule thing.

Anyway, is there any video of the rocket/shuttlecock plane landing and disembarking astronauts?

I'm thinking this would have been a choice marketing opportunity that Branson would not skip.

Virgin Galactic's Youtube channel is a rather obvious place to look, and their video includes the landing. No astronauts (not in my book by 11 km anyway, but I digress) disembarking as I assume that only happened in the hangar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TVs2lWk_GI
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

"Virgin Galactic announces another human-tended science flight"

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...cience-flight/

Virgin Galactic announced a new contract Thursday for human-tended research aboard its suborbital spacecraft, VSS Unity. The company said that Kellie Gerardi, a researcher and science communicator, would conduct two experiments during an upcoming flight that could happen as early as 2022.

The announcement is notable because it suggests there may be a viable business for Virgin in this kind of microgravity research and because the news provides further evidence that "regular" people may one day be able to go into space as more companies start flying there.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)