Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: What happened to commercial suborbital flight

I had no idea that astronaut wings
    were an official FAA thing.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I had no idea that astronaut wings
    were an official FAA thing.
    They started them with the successful flight of SpaceShipOne in 2004. Commercial flights only, I believe. NASA and the Air Force (and now perhaps Space Force?) have handed out wings for government flights.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The new rules are from after Branson's flight, so he should be eligible if he requests them.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

I don't have a link to an English article on it, but apparently the FAA is investigating Branson's flight because it went off course starting at 32km altitude during ascent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I don't have a link to an English article on it, but apparently the FAA is investigating Branson's flight because it went off course starting at 32km altitude during ascent.
    Here’s an article on that at my favorite tech news website:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...investigating/

It includes an update with a response from Virgin Galactic disputing some of the claims in the original New Yorker article. It isn’t clear to me yet if this was significant or not. I think the biggest potential concern is if it represented a significant risk to the crew and if there might be an ongoing issue.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The BBC also has an article on this, saying SpaceshipTwo is grounded while the FAA does their investigation does their investigation. This could affect the timing of a planned September flight. Virgin Galactic said in their response (can be found in the Ars Technica article I linked to in my prior post) that they were affected by unexpected high altitude winds, but it didn’t affect safety. We’ll just have to wait and see the results of the investigation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58421796

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Ars Technica has an article on the grounding now too, with a couple bits of new news, the first interesting enough I wrote this post, a tweet from a former VG pilot disputing the VG statement:

https://twitter.com/Stuck4ger/status...35615043125248

“The most misleading statement today was Virgin Galactic's. The facts are the pilots failed to trim to achieve the proper pitch rate, the winds were well within limits, they did nothing of substance to address the trajectory error, and entered Class A airspace without authorization.”

The second bit of new news wasn’t much, just a new statement from VG, saying they are working closely with the FAA on the issue.

Ars article link:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...ght-deviation/

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Interesting rocket report from Ars Technica today. That’s a regular compendium they do with lots of space related items, and they have a number of ‘em today on VG, SpaceX and others.

Big and disappointing news on Virgin Galactic - they found safety issues with their recent flight and there will be at least an eight month delay for repairs, and probably more for testing before starting commercial flights.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...it/?comments=1

The space tourism company announced Thursday afternoon that it will delay a planned human flight for the Italian Air Force, Unity 23, and begin a "planned enhancement program" for its VMS Eve carrier aircraft and VSS Unity spacecraft. Effectively, this means that the vehicles will be taken out of service for the next eight months for repairs and upgrades. As one reason for this decision, the company cited a recent test that "flagged a possible reduction in the strength margins of certain materials used to modify specific joints, and this requires further physical inspection."

Ouch.

Here’s the official statement from VG:

https://www.virgingalactic.com/artic...-this-program/

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Time for lithium-aluminum or...stainless steel?

For the majority of the structure, stainless steel only makes sense if there's a large thermal load.

New player: in Sierra Space's recent docs they show Dream Chaser doing Earth Point to Point.

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    New player: in Sierra Space's recent docs they show Dream Chaser doing Earth Point to Point.
    Interesting. I’m trying to think of what the use case would be. Specialized military, maybe? After all, I don’t think they are considering a reusable rocket and the Dream Chaser just isn’t very big, so it would be very expensive point to point travel for not many people or much cargo. If they have the time, aircraft would be far less expensive.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Looks like your post just did Point to Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Interesting. I’m trying to think of what the use case would be. Specialized military, maybe? After all, I don’t think they are considering a reusable rocket and the Dream Chaser just isn’t very big, so it would be very expensive point to point travel for not many people or much cargo. If they have the time, aircraft would be far less expensive.
    “Want to one-up stupid Sophie from down the block who went to suborbit and keeps bragging about it? Go to suborbit and THEN Cancun!”
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Bezos is supposedly going to partner with Boeing on an orbital hotel.
    I'll believe that when I see it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Keep in mind that an orbital “hotel” won’t just be of interest to extremely wealthy people that want to try something different. Rather, there are a lot of countries that would like to have astronauts to call their own and there is a lot of research countries and companies would like to do if they had regular and reliable access. Up to now, access has been far too limited for much to happen, but that is starting to change.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Bezos is supposedly going to partner with Boeing on an orbital hotel.
    I'll believe that when I see it.
    The company that can't get a rocket into orbit with the company that can't get people into orbit. I guess they'll believe it when they see it too.

Now I'm sure both companies are capable of the task, eventually, but their current approach doesn't seem to be exactly smooth and efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Keep in mind that an orbital “hotel” won’t just be of interest to extremely wealthy people that want to try something different. Rather, there are a lot of countries that would like to have astronauts to call their own and there is a lot of research countries and companies would like to do if they had regular and reliable access. Up to now, access has been far too limited for much to happen, but that is starting to change.
    Sure, and I hope they do it. But what Nicolas said.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.