Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: China's new launch vehicles Long March Series

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    China's Long March 9, the equivalent to the US SLS, first launch is set for 2028.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-mission.html
    I love it. The more HLLVs the better.

China's Long March 5 to be tested in 2015. Article below has photographs of its construction in the factory.

http://www.popsci.com/long-march-goes

While NASA's Orion test flight dominated space news last week, CCTV reported on the next big step for China's space program. In a Tianjin rocket factory, the first Long March/Changzheng 5 (LM-5) space rocket is undergoing final testing and assembly.

If the latest report on the Long March rockets is true than the launch date has slipped another year to 2016.

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/...t_19167544.htm

Zhou Jianping, chief designer of China's manned space program, told Xinhua News Agency in an earlier report that the first launch of the Long March-7 and the cargo spacecraft will be around 2016, to serve the Tiangong-2 space laboratory, which is planned to be in orbit by the end of next year.
    Lei Fanpei, chairman of China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp, said earlier this month in Beijing that in addition to the Long March-7, three other new types of rockets - including the Long March-5, a heavy-lift rocket that is more powerful than the Long March-7 - will also fly for the first time in the next two years.

A tantalizing glimpse into the factory producing the Long March 5 & 7.

http://www.ecns.cn/2015/01-06/149511.shtml

China's new generation carrier rocket industrialization base, embracing China's dream of becoming a leading space power, is located in Tianjin Economic Development Zone.

The base, with a total floor area of 3000 mu (200 hectares), meets all the requirements of rocket development and testing. Construction began in June 2008. Six years have passed since. The industrialization base now has production capacity for Long March V and Long March VII, two representatives of a new generation of launch vehicles.

"The greater China's rocket carrying capacity, the bigger the momentum of China's space industry," says Tao Gang, general manager of Tianjin Long March rocket manufacturer. "Current rocket carrying capacity cannot meet the actual needs of China's growing aerospace industry. That is the main reason for this industrialization base for the new generation of carrier rocket."

An all-system drill simulating the launch of a Chang Zheng-7 (CZ-7, or Long March-7) rocket is currently under way at the newly-built Hainan launch centre.

http://sinodefence.com/2015/01/27/cz...way-at-hainan/

It is understood that the all-system launch drill is the final and most important step in the CZ-7’s ground testing prior to its maiden flight, currently scheduled for April 2016. The mission will launch the first Tianzhou cargo spacecraft designed to resupply the future Chinese space station Tiangong. Chinese space planners hope that once its design matures the CZ-7 will eventually replace most variants in the current CZ-2, 3, and 4 series of launch vehicles, including the man-rated CZ-2F for Shenzhou missions.

It will also be the first launch taking place from the newly built Hainan launch centre, which began its construction in 2009. The new launch centre offers a range of advantages over the existing three inland launch centres in China. Its proximity to the equator (19 degrees north of the equator) gives rockets significant payload performance gain from the Earth’s rotation. The centre is located near the coast, allowing oversized rocket boosters and spacecraft to be transported via the sea. Used rocket stages can be dumped directly into the sea, with no danger of falling into any populated area.

China makes progress with its quest to build their generation of rockets - Long March 5

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/ch..._133981479.htm

Chinese scientists have completed a ground test on the power system of the country's next-generation carrier rocket which may fly as early as next year.

Scientists test-fired the engines of Long March-5, which uses non-toxic and no-polluting liquefied propellant, on a ground facility to test "coordination and reliability" of the power system, the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense (SASTIND) said on Monday.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Scientists test-fired the engines of Long March-5, which uses non-toxic and no-polluting liquefied propellant
    Again with the non-polluting propellant. Yes; it "uses" hydrogen which is non-polluting (if you ignore producing it), but it also uses diesel/kerosene. (post 28)
    I wish they would be clear about it. But; they think kerosene is clean anyway. They made the same claim over 2 years ago.

According to Wiki, their hydrogen engine is less than half the thrust of their kerolox engine. And it depends on which cores they use.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Again with the non-polluting propellant. Yes; it "uses" hydrogen which is non-polluting (if you ignore producing it), but it also uses diesel/kerosene. (post 28)
    I wish they would be clear about it. But; they think kerosene is clean anyway. They made the same claim over 2 years ago.

According to Wiki, their hydrogen engine is less than half the thrust of their kerolox engine. And it depends on which cores they use.
    This seems the same test they did two years ago. I wonder if they did find problems with the original design. Would explain the two year delay.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The first of the new Long March rockets to be launched will not be the LM5 or the LM7 but the LM6 (capable of putting one ton into LEO).

http://zeenews.india.com/news/sci-te...t_1559167.html

Beijing: China will soon conduct the first flight of its new generation 'Long March' space launch vehicle fired by newly developed 120 ton engine in a bid to tap the growing international commercial satellite market.

"A launch of the Long March 6 is planned in the middle of the year and it will use the newly developed 120-ton-thrust engine as its main propulsion," Tan Yonghua, president of China's Academy of Aerospace Propulsion Technology said.

"The Long March 7 and our most powerful rocket, the Long March 5, will make their first flights next year and they will also use the new engine," Tan, a deputy of the National People's Congress (NPC), told state-run China Daily on the sidelines of its session.

The first of the new Long March rockets to be launched will not be the LM5 or the LM7 but the LM6 (capable of putting one ton into LEO).
    It makes me wonder if there's some confusion between LM6 and LM5-cz200 which seem to be basically the same rocket with different engines.

China takes another small step in the development of its new work horse - Long March 5

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20..._134090856.htm

The second ground test of the power system of China's next-generation carrier rocket was completed Monday, ahead of its first flight in 2016.

Using non-toxic, non-polluting liquid propellant, the engines of Long March-5 were test-fired on the ground to test current technology, said Tan Yonghua, head of the Academy of Aerospace Propulsion Technology.

Long March-5 was first test-fired on Feb. 9 this year.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

1st flight of Long March 5 will be in April 2016. Information on that and a short video of ground test of the power system in article below.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/vi..._134095733.htm

"This is the last test of Long March-5's power system before its maiden flight. It means China's utilization of hydrogen has entered the application process," Li Hong, dean of China Academy Of Launch Vehicle Technology, said.

The rocket's first flight is scheduled for April next year. And there's no stopping there, as scientists continue to design carrier rockets with ever higher payload capacities.

It makes me wonder if there's some confusion between LM6 and LM5-cz200 which seem to be basically the same rocket with different engines.
    The rocket engine they will be using is the YF-100 according to this article. It will also be used on the LM6 and the LM7.

The article also has sketches of the different variations of the LM5 which will be used for payloads from 6 tons to 25 tons.

The article below has more information on the LM7.

http://www.popsci.com/next-generatio...march-standing

The LM-7 is a mid-heavy weight, 600 ton launch rocket, similar to the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. It is likely to replace the man-rated Long March 2 rocket, which is currently used to launch China's manned Shenzhou space missions. However, the LM-7 is estimated to carry 13.5 tons (depending on booster rocket configuration) of cargo in low earth orbit, which is a 50% increase over the LM-2. Its 3.35 meter core diameter would allow it to carry most commercial payloads, as well as larger scientific payloads into sun synchronous orbits to observe space weather activity like solar flares.

It is all go for the Long March 7 to be launched next year. Also the LM-5 for next year and the LM-6 foe this year. This is good news as the launch of the Tiangong-2 space station as well as the cargo ship Tianzhou depends on them.

Nice picture of the LM-7 production line.

http://www.leonarddavid.com/china-lo...t-flight-2016/

It has been announced that China’s Long March- 7 booster has passed a joint assessment by the China Aerospace Science & Technology Corporation and China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology.

The outcome of the appraisal, according to a June 18 report in China’s state-run news output, the People’s Daily Online, is that the technical condition of Long March-7 rocket production has been identified. The next stage focus will be placed on rocket production, assembly and testing of the launcher.

These items mean that the Long March 7 rocket is slated to make its maiden flight in 2016, according to the People’s Daily Online.

Now I am really confused. HELP!!! The latest report from China has the LM-5 maiden flight in 2017 with only a test flight next year.. If that is the case why has it got the cargo ship meeting up with Tiangong-2 in 2016. How will they get Tiangong-2 into space?

http://gbtimes.com/china/china-rocke...-station-plans

The Long March 5 has suffered a number of delays during its development, but progress is picking up, with a maiden flight set for 2017. The second successful separation test followed two crucial propulsion tests of the core rocket stage, which uses two YF-77 engines.

The Long March 5 is scheduled for a test flight next year and, being comparable to the Delta IV Heavy, will be one of the largest rockets in the world.

The medium-lift Long March 7 will launch the Tianzhou-1 robotic cargo spacecraft, which is designed to re-supply the future Chinese space station. The pair is due for launch in 2016, when Tianzhou-1 will rendezvous with the Tiangong-2 experimental space module.

Now I am really confused. HELP!!! The latest report from China has the LM-5 maiden flight in 2017 with only a test flight next year.. If that is the case why has it got the cargo ship meeting up with Tiangong-2 in 2016. How will they get Tiangong-2 into space?
    The answer is in what you already quoted.
    The Cargo craft is going on an LM-7, not an LM-5.

The answer is in what you already quoted.
    The Cargo craft is going on an LM-7, not an LM-5.
    It is not the cargo craft I am questioning. It is Tiangong-2. It is 20 tons and the only craft that can get it up there is the LM-5. If this report is true, it will only be ready to do that in 2017.

It is not the cargo craft I am questioning. It is Tiangong-2. It is 20 tons and the only craft that can get it up there is the LM-5. If this report is true, it will only be ready to do that in 2017.
    Sorry, misunderstood.

I wonder if T2 really is 20 tons. I tried researching it farther, and all I got were words like "expected" and "speculation". A lot of discussions revolved around the fact that since it was a test for T3, that it would be the size of one of the modules. But, it turned out that it was the technology being tested and not necessarily the construction.
    You even questioned an article talking about the idea that T2 wouldn't be much more than the T1 in size.
    Why receive a cargo vessel that is bigger then Tiangong 2. More logical to have Tiangong 2 more like Tiangong 3 and do all the tests on new technology like refueling and extended stay. Tiangong 2 then needs to be heavier and could be launched by Long March 7 rocket (reason for the delay to 2016?).
    And I followed that up with my own reasoning between the confusion of those figures.

Sorry, misunderstood.

I wonder if T2 really is 20 tons. I tried researching it farther, and all I got were words like "expected" and "speculation". A lot of discussions revolved around the fact that since it was a test for T3, that it would be the size of one of the modules. But, it turned out that it was the technology being tested and not necessarily the construction.
    You even questioned an article talking about the idea that T2 wouldn't be much more than the T1 in size.

And I followed that up with my own reasoning between the confusion of those figures.
    The article on France's involvement in T2 with the machine to measure circulation (Cardiospace) has the 20 tons mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by selvaarchi; 2015-Jun-24 at 06:48 AM.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Reread the report and it says - "The Long March 5 is scheduled for a test flight next year". Is it possible for the test flight to put T2 into orbit? If yes than we are still on track.

The article on France's involvement in T2 with the machine to measure circulation (Cardiospace) has the 20 tons mentioned.
    Re read my comments.
    I did mention that several articles say that. What I am talking about is your concern about T2 on an LM7.
    Reports of the Chinese space program are shrouded in mystery and speculation. With all the different statements floating around, it's hard to tell exactly what is going on. I am only offering possible explanations.

Reread the report and it says - "The Long March 5 is scheduled for a test flight next year". Is it possible for the test flight to put T2 into orbit? If yes than we are still on track.
    I doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    It might answer the question of why they would put a 20 ton load on a 25 ton rocket. It gives them a safety margin that they don't have to push it as hard as it needs to be. But; on the other hand, it's a risk to launch such an expensive payload on a test flight.

Just came across this article on the new Long March rockets from March. It also gives a reason for the slippage from 2015 (this year) to 2016 for the Long March 7. The other interesting information was all three rockets will use the same engine.

http://m.aviationweek.com/space/long...n-due-fly-2016

The latest schedule for the three rockets, which are under development together because they share airframe modules and engines, was given by Tan Yonghua, president of the Academy of Aerospace Propulsion Technology (AAPT). Tan is probably happy to discuss the matter because the Long March 7 delay is unlikely to be the fault of his organization. AAPT is providing the engines, which have long been confirmed as mature and ready for service.

“The Long March 7 and our most powerful rocket, the Long March 5, will make their first flights next year, and they will also use the new engine,” the China Daily quotes Tan as saying. The engine is the 120-ton-thrust YF-100. Its development was completed before 2012, when series production of the engine began. So it has been waiting at least three years for its first flight on one—any—of the new launchers. Long March 6 will provide the occasion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Another small step on the journey to bring the Long March 5 rocket into production has been completed.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20..._134444799.htm

Chinese scientists on Friday successfully tested the power system of a Long March-5 carrier rocket scheduled for flight in 2016.

Another small step on the journey to bring the Long March 5 rocket into production has been completed.
    Something is wrong here.

Back in March, you included an article that said "This is the last test of Long March-5's power system before its maiden flight. It means China's utilization of hydrogen has entered the application process,"

This tells me one or more of the following:
    - There was a problem revealed in the last test causing a setback and a re-test.
    - The Chinese agency is misleading the public in their releases.
    - The reporters have no clue what they are talking about.

The end result is that we are not getting the true story of what is happening.

Something is wrong here.

Back in March, you included an article that said "This is the last test of Long March-5's power system before its maiden flight. It means China's utilization of hydrogen has entered the application process,"
    This tells me one or more of the following:
    - There was a problem revealed in the last test causing a setback and a re-test.
    - The Chinese agency is misleading the public in their releases.
    - The reporters have no clue what they are talking about.

The end result is that we are not getting the true story of what is happening.
    I agree with your view. That is why the flight which was to be this year is now set for next year. They do not tell us what the problems are,

I am waiting for the first flight of the Long March 6 in September this year. If successful, it at least tells us the new engine (all 3 rockets LM5, LM6, & LM7 use it) is not the cause of the delay.

Long March 6 was supposed to have been launched this morning but till now (16 hours later) no news except a cryptic message - it has been postponed.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/09/chi...h-of-long.html

China's Long March 6 (CZ-6) carrier rocket was set to be launched in Taiyuan, in North China's Shanxi Province on Saturday, sending 20 small satellites into space. It appears the launch may have been postphoned

Long March 6 was supposed to have been launched this morning but till now (16 hours later) no news except a cryptic message - it has been postponed.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/09/chi...h-of-long.html
    Launch was scrubbed at T-10 minutes, seemingly for technical reasons (weather was fine). Next attempt exactly 24 hours later - 2300 UTC tonight.

Got this from the nasaspaceflight forum :-

"The launch postponed by one day due to technical reasons, will be at UTC 23:00:00 on 2015-09-19"

While looking for news on the Long March 6 launch came across news that they will be launching for the 1st time the Long March 11 on the 25th of this month. This is all the info I could find on it.

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/tag-Long%20March-11.html

China's first solid-fuel rocket Long March-11 is expected to make its first launch before 2016, a senior official of the rocket's designing institute said on Saturday. Liang Xiaohong, deputy head of the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology, said the rocket will be easy to operate and cost-efficient to launch. It can remain in storage for long period and reliably launch on short notice. "The development of the Long March-11 will greatly improve China's capabilities to rapidly enter the space and meet the emergency launching demand in case of disasters and

China has launched the Long March 6 successfully. Well done China congratulations . This a major achievement as the engine that powers the Long March 6 is also the same ones that will be used in the Long March 5 and 7.

This is the 2nd of their new space toys to be introduced. In a few days time they will be introducing their next one - Long March 11.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/...-long-march-6/

China initiated a new era in its space exploration with the debut of a new family of launch vehicle. The first Long March-6 (Chang Zheng-6) rocket was successfully launched from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center, with a multi-payload cargo of 20 small satellites. Launch took place at 2300:00 UTC on Saturday.